Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• I cycled to work one day and after a nice fast commute breaking my PB I realised when getting changed that I had forgotten to pack underwear in my bag image I had to spend the whole day wearing my padded shorts to I couldn't go commando and I was working in a clinic in the middle of nowhere so no shops around. I was paranoid all day that everyone could see them and would comment, but all was fine and no one mentioned a thing. 

Went swimming this morning for the first time in ages as entered my first ever tri at the end of Sept. Did a timed 750m to see where I was but the stupid pool clock decided to break half way through? Had to get out at the end and check my phone, it had me at 15mins for the 750m so pretty pleased. That's the last time I forget my watch!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Pixie, I don't think I would have gone to work...and mine is a mixed sex office, I just couldn't do it, even when I was smaller.

Rocco - I once forgot to take change of underwear for after run, so had to go commando on the run, was worried about camel toe all way round...
    Well done on your swim!

I still haven't been to the pool, bit too much going on atm. Lunch times are best for exercise atm but I need a lift if going to gym/classes. I'm determined to sort out my swimming when I get to Southampton.

• Bet it made you PB on your run though! Could be a new training method to make you run faster 

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I used to run with male work colleagues as well but decided that they wouldn't have time to see anything really so just went for it.

• Finally up to date on the weekends activities. Great race report Mrs D. In my first tri which was a 3/4 distance at eton dorney I was second from last out the pool I couldnt have felt more ashamed at that single point in the race. Having been a semi keen runner and clocking a sub 1:30 half I certainly wasnt used to being last! Luckily I made the places up on the bike and run. Well done though sounds like you had a wicked B Day!

Steady looking forward to your report...same to others who raced??

I had forgotten my running shorts at a 10K in Nov it was freezing. I had to either not race or run in my very tight compression shorts which I always wore under my shorts. I ran go a PB of 40:31 I wasnt too worried once I started as there wasn't much to see, due to the cold of courseimage.

Personall didn't do much in the way of traning nice mile ow swim sunday morning. Lots of beers, 2 x BBQ a wedding and a 50th B Day. 40 mins of spinning this morning before work helped ease the my guilty feelings.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Kritter86 wrote (see)

I had forgotten my running shorts at a 10K in Nov it was freezing. I had to either not race or run in my very tight compression shorts which I always wore under my shorts. I ran go a PB of 40:31 I wasnt too worried once I started as there wasn't much to see, due to the cold of courseimage.

• image Happy birthday Mrs D and well done. image

Sounds like everyone had a good weekend and waiting for some reports here's mine.

Grimreaper race report

Pre race

Now then just to explain I don’t do ultra’s tried one before and to hard with not enough fun to be had only reason signed up for this is Sarah really wanted to do a marathon and wasn’t sure if her knee would hold out getting round and didn’t want to miss a cut off. So being sensible she decided to do a ultra-instead due to a better cut-off time. I think that’s sensible? Was running late getting down there and also the sat nav send us a very stupid way to the youth hostel the day before so managed not to get any tea. Luckily I was in the cub scouts so had got a carrier bag of M&S sushi. While wasn’t exactly carb loading managed to pass then to sarah while she was driving all the way down the A1. Got to the YHA place and very surplice by how posh it was. image

Got to Grimsthorpe in the morning just about after the sat nav tried to send us down a one way street. Set up the cheap and sh*t £8 ASDA tent for supplies and got ready. Met Partner’s in crime Saffy and Dawn Shadow. Race brief was mostly right foot left foot don’t set yourself on fire and have a good time. The course was 10 mile loop’s around the grounds with two check points on the loops and a feed station check point at the end.

First 10 miles

Set of slow with Dawn’s garmin setting the pace, enjoyed it a lot and it was nice, flat and the grounds where gorgeous I’m assuming they were build be Capability Brown or someone who copied his work well. Saw some mini horse’s and had a big urge for a finda’s pancake. Had a nice chat with a lass who was doing the race to stop her getting bored while her other half was in Afghanistan. Sure from what she said that him and my uncle Graham have served together somewhere so was a small world and all that. Saw a red kite and Saffy was just as excited as I was so made a nice change from Sarah saying yes it’s a fox with wings. Had a slow place 3 minutes run 1 minute walk with all four of us working as a team all for one and one for all. Got back to the checkpoint with no problems. Took time there had a cup of tea and some crisp’s

• Second 10 miles.

When for a 2 minute run 2 minute walk loop and was better for the group. Had some very bad cramp’s in the first mile and had to use the brush’s they went instantly so assuming didn’t drink enough before the race and kidney was complaining. Got round alright and had some nice banter with the other runner’s. Saw a lot of beef on the route and couldn’t stop thinking about some stoge. I could have kissed anyone who had passed me a bacon sandwich. Sarah struggled and we had to take a few walk breaks but everyone was still ok and going strong. Back to the check point and more tea crisp’s and generally a picnic.

Third 10 miles

This is where the wheel’s fell off a little. We were doing this as a group all for one and one for all had to walk the first 5 miles with folks needing support made it to the 26.2 point and had a little jog with lots of yippee’s when hit that marathon point. It was a lot warmer than earlier and afraid I had packed the wrong shorts. Had put on some timber since last used my faithful ron hill’s and was getting a serious chaffing issue with the inner lining. Also legs where stiffing up with walking. We managed to run most of the last 4 miles but for me a lot of the damage had been done.  Got back to the feed station and took a lot of time there. Did some DIY on my short’s with my trusty leatherman and cut out the lining. Afraid there was a bit of blood.image

Last 10 miles 

Really struggled and couldn’t get my legs to move. Dawn Shadow nick named me Zombie 2 with Zombie 1 being sarah. Was very funny but guess you had to be there. Tried running a couple of times and just wasn’t happening. Got round to just before the second check point on the route at the 8 mile point and slowly dawned on me was going into shock. Very interesting experience and one I’ve seen in other’s but never had the pleasure. Got to the check point told The group I was in trouble and decided to take a nap for 5 minutes. Was the best decision and saved my race.  Had a few people asking if was alright and Dawn stayed with me as wasn’t going to leave a man behind. Set off again shacking but a lot better for it and carried on for half a mile before taking another little nap. After this know I could do it but wasn’t going to break the 4 minute mile. Set out again aiming for a bench we have passed before on the other lap’s aiming to stop there and then carry on. Just before made the bench looked into the woods with my head touch and saw about 30 pairs of eye’s reflected. Hope they were deer was a bit spooky. Had a nice nap and then hand in hand with Dawn set off. Got met by a marshal just before the finish checking if was ok because they had heard someone was on the ground on the course. Made it to the finish line had a cup of tea and the best muffin I have ever tasted!!! I had dropped it a couple of times before it was consumed and didn’t care. Very well done Sarah and saffy for doing their first race above a half marathon and cheers to dawn for working the group and sticking with folks who were in trouble. Sure they will have there own race reports and will probably be on the mundane thread if interested.

OH and the medal is lovely.image

• Well done Cake, I hope your not in too much pain today? Sounds like you really hit a low point during the race well done for JFDI!image

• image I've got some right blister's. image

• Top bombing Mr Cake! image You must be much chuffed... Bookie too. Well done to you both, sounded a hard slog at times! So proud!

• Maths - you're on holiday. The body appreciates a break!

Good problem solving Mikasa, like you're thinking. EP, just rise above it. You can only do what you physically have time for!

Rocco, sounds good for the swimming. I would manage the clock situation as an excuse o get a pool mate image

Kritter - I have always been one of those people that if I did anything I was determined to strive for excellence. Hence I achieved high standards in the sports I took part in. However, things have changed for me now. I'm simply grateful I can take part. As Razor says, a finish is a finish! image

• Agreed a finish is a finish. What starts to play on my mind is a finish with a "maybe I could have done that quicker.."

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Well done Cake! Sounds like it was a hard race but you finished it! Awesome determination ! Well done to Sarah and others in your team too.

I bloody well did it! So pleased with myself. 2.2 mile run to the shop, then 1mile run back. Just managed to miss the 20 minute downpour that followed and keeping the towel bag under my arm seemed not to bother me at all (arm just got bit sweatier..)

• Oh always...! I will do the same event next year and be a darn site quicker. This year I'm grateful to just take part. What is it they say, 'from humble beginnings' image

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Well done Cake and Bookie, good honest report. Heal well the pair of you.

Concorde Tri held by Thames Valley Triathletes, IronCat sent me a link to this and my mentor Happychap confirmed that it was beginner friendly so I would not feel too slow, so I entered as having something to aim for after my A race of Outlaw Half.
    Due to the big cycle ride I escaped from home early on Sunday and got there by 8, for a 9.50 start. Registered then as putting number on race belt got bitten on the back of the hand by some horrible dirty insect(more about that later). Took an anti histamine tablet as bite reacted instantly, then as I went back out to transition I bumped into Happychap and another friend, so nattered, being told of where the hills were and any other useful bits. Racked and went to poolside early, as I was the last to go off , but that meant getting to see the slowest beginners do their swim.

The slowest did backstroke for some of it and stopped at the end each length, he got a round of applause getting out. Soon my turn and off I went, couldnot get into a flowing rythmn but out in just over 10 minutes. Up the stairs outside and up to T1. Grabbed a gel, put socks and bike shoes on, mitts helmet and sunglasses, off trotting out, more steps to carry bike up before getting to mount line.

Off on a pleasant bike ride, undulating, through some villages, very little traffic, large downhill to a roundabout, back up and pootle back. Saw Happychap on her return bike leg, kept pedalling and did all the hills as if I did them every day of the week.(very unusual)

T2, as I had forgot to take the other gel on the bike I decided to have it in T2 changed shoes and off I went at a slow jog, which is my racing fast. Very pretty surroundings for the run, although I did curse when I felt a twinge in the lower left calf, but carried on. At the 2km point felt the hand and realised that it was still swelling and gone red. So please to get to the extra water station they put out at 2.5km, walked to it and through it. Started the run again but after a few minutes felt peculiar and odd, heart seemed to be pounding and chest tight, not sure if indigestion or worse. So I decided that I would be sensible and have a little walk.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

That made feel a bit better so ran again, but no, now I felt a bit drunk like and light headed so walked again. Cursing to myself because I had wanted to do a continuous jog at least. JFDI kept popping into my head along with "if you want it, you have to put a bit of effort in", thankfully my brain over- rode all this and said walk/run or you will be a DNF. Last bit is downhill into the village so managed to jog that, then through a short bit of woodland and up a hill to the finish line.

Time 1:55:25, whoopee, massive PB, garmin states ride at average speed of 13.7mph, I have never averaged that, must be the fast course.

Did not see Happychap or friend after but looked at hand and decided that getting sorted and home asap was in order.

Home, with a short delay on the M25, late lunch. Took another anti histamine tablet, the Mr Steady who had cut his finger on Saturday night announces that he fancies a bike ride out to see the elite riders going through the area. So I got on the hybrid and spent a couple of hours doing not a lot. Home to an increasingly painful hand.

Went to work this morning, which resulted in going to A&E, handy when you work in a hospital but still had to wait, then got given 2 different anti biotics and sent home.

Good race 1, bad insect bite 1

"Can't have everthing in life"

• image Nice one hope the insect bite heals quick. Do you know what it was?

• Woop whoop for the PB Steady image Not so woop woop for your poor hand image Heal quickly!

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Cake, I have no idea, as did not see it, but a nasty little mozzie is my hunch, I tend to react bad to those and bee/wasp stings. That is why I always carry anti histamine tablets when running or cycling in the summer.

• You never know it could have been a vampire ladybird? They are very nasty little things. If at the next full moon you start to eat athids you know you have a problem. image

(((hugs))) and healing vibes

• Cake massive well done to you and Sarah, knowing the problems Sarah has with her knees that is an amazing achievement. 

Steady well done and hope the bite heals quickly. That has happened to me a few times but the antibiotics have always worked quickly. 

Mikasa well done on going for your run with a towel purchase. Loving all the stories of forgotten kitimage. I never wear pants under my running shorts - reduces the risk of chaffing

Went out for a quick 1.5 mile run still had to walk the uphills and was out of breath walking! Will be nice to have a flat run when I get homeimage

• Way to go steady!! Good job!  

On the topic of kit - I have been know to go commando if I forget to pack the necessaries (I dont ride with knicks on) image

No run tonight freaking rain wont go away and my raincoat is soaked from biking home so run tomorrow night image

• Woohoo on the PB Steady image especially when you were feeling a little under the weather...

• Buttercup I never bother with a raincoat when I am running it just keeps all the sweat in and is worse than getting wet from rain

Steady hope that result has you feeling positive again after outlaw half

MrsD and buttercup - not sure when outlaw entries are going to open but we'll need to sort out a) if we are all up for the relay and if so b) how we are going to do the entry. I am up for it but there is no shame in anyone saying they don't want to

• Cake wrote (see)

You never know it could have been a vampire ladybird? They are very nasty little things. If at the next full moon you start to eat athids you know you have a problem. image

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q488/Paul_iow/image-4.jpg

• I'm still up for it MC image apparently there needs to be a "lead athlete" who enters it and organises everyone else - I bags not doing that role as I'm a bit naff at organising stuff - happy to follow image 

Rocco love that pic!