Training for a shorter Tri



  • well done buttercup and love your race reportimage have your legs recovered yet?

  • No lol was a very slow bike ride home tonight image quite the stiff girl I am today.  But just looking at the Garmin it also says I ran a 4.55 km image where is perky runner no 2 I need to follow her some more!!

  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

    Well done Buttercup! Great report, brilliant to read! Take it easy now and let your legs recover.

  • Top report Buttercup! Next..... World Domination image The legs have recovered from more! Most chuffied for you! 

    Maths can always be trusted to spin a good turbo session. 

    Mikasa - wait till you're a Supervet image

    Ok, have completed 2 weeks of 6 day training. All well so far but keeping all close to my chest just in case image Oo, taking Digger to his first spin class Wed. He mentioned something about The Wild Boar too.... Scary! 

  • image slippery slope Digger!! And I have just looked at all the official photos and the majority of them I look like a complete munter image apparently that's my "running" face.

  • Never!!!!!!!! You are constantly dignified, even after 8hrs. We all agreed! image 

  • Well done Buttercup, I always find running in the city hard work even when I am in a park. Not that I have done one for a while. I almost always hate the official photos they either have me pulling a face, walking or looking way heavier than I think I am.

    I am going to go swimming in the morning, but do not expect too much as the energy levels are only back to 75%.

  • wow Buttercup, that's a brilliant report and race.  Hitting that many pbs in one race is amazing.

    I thought veterans were over 40?  I'm a veteran...I want to keep running until I get the WAYND catagory...(why are you not dead?), so old that my wrinkles have wrinkles.


  • Pete, women become vets at 35, men at 40, maybe this should go to a equalities board and get altered. I do not worry as next year I go up yet another vet category.

    I have been for my swim and now feeling very tired.

  • Snowman Tri

    We ( Horse and me) set off at 6.15 to travel to North Wales took us about 2 hrs , finally we found the venue after throwing the sat nav into the passenger footwell ( they can be a pain sometimes) and parked up in a field, set off to register and stood in a load of sheep shit, image. I thought is that lucky or have I just got a load of sheep shit on my trainers image. Anyway got to registration and the lady said we've been waiting to see who this Razor person is and I said don't look now but a Horse has just walked in much to the amusement of the staff.

    So back to the van, collect gear and bikes and off to transition . With everything set up it was off to get our wetsuits on, after much deliberation we decide we were going to opt for the Sprint event , 400 swim, 39 k bike and 5 k run which was off at 10.45 so we got changed and went to watch the start of the full distance.

    Then it was time for us to get I the lake ( water temp 13c) it didn't feel as col as I thought it would.
  • The swim

    Into the water, a bit rocky ant slimey underfoot but not too cold , had 5 minutes to kill so had a bit of a warm up swim to my head acclimatized then the hooter went and we were off. Bit of a slow start but managed to find some room and get Into a bit of a rhythm the problem was there was a lot waves coming from our oft front so made it hard to breath properly, got to the turn bouy and had to breath stroke , like many of the others as the waves were getting bigger, got to second bouy and turn for home which was much better and managed to front crawl again then it was over, climbed out and off to T1. I was struggling to unzip my wetsuit with cold hands when suddenly it was unzipped by someone behind me, thanks Horse, he came out of the swim right behind me me, swim time 12.02

    T1 wetsuit off dried off best I could, cycle top on, socks and shoes on and helmet on and out. T1 5.10
  • The bike

    I've not been on the bike since the Salford Tri at the beginning of September so didn't know how it Wes going to pan out. Off I go ( horse was out 3 minutes before me) out on to to the road the first 6 k was all downhill which gave my legs a chance to get used to pedaling again, I was making good progress passed 3 riders then it flattened out for about 5 k which was just grinding it out in top gear then we had to turn left over a stone bridge and this was heading back, this was when I was met with the first hill of any note , dropped down the gears and off up the hill , it looked tougher than it was , so over the top and down , turn a left hand bend and there in front was a proper hill, down the gears again and set off up it had to get out of the saddle at this point then I had to drop down to the smaller ring which made easier and could stay seated, almost to the top there was a big guy stood next to his bike I asked if he was ok he said he had cramp and was just stretching so off I went to the top and over to be met with a ice long downhill which gave my legs time to recover it flattened out to a while then over another stone bridge and a sharp right turn onto the road home, this was about 7k to the bike finish but I also knew it was the long downhill that was at the start of the bike so what comes down must go up. So I said to my self " you enjoyed it coming down now suffer it going back up" so head down and set off up the long drag for home. I passed 2 riders on the way up which I was pleased with then I was on my own grinding my way up the hill , there were a few undulations which I made the most of when I could, then suddenly a bike flew past me, he had a GBR tri suit on and he was the leader of the long distance (69k bike) then 3 more passed me, finally I turned the last corner and into transition. Bike 1.17.

    T2. Shoes off, trainers on , helmet off quick drink and off out T2. 2.48
  • The run

    Out of T2 and onto the run, over the wooden bride at the side of the lake to be met by a Marshall who said " up you go that way" pointing up this rough rock strewn path. This was the start I what was to be the toughest 5k I have ever ran, crawled. Slipped, fallen and climbed. The first section I managed some sort of run dodging loose rocks and mud the it got steeper and rockier and slippier which was impossible to run so it became a fast hike, then a bit of respite there was a path to my left which the Marshall directed me to, it let me stretch my legs for 200 mts then right turn to be met by another rocky path that look. Steeper than the first, so head down and grit my teeth and went up as fast I was able without doing myself an injury. In places it was a case of grabbing tufts of long grass and pulling myself over the ground then I had to climb over a 6ft style which led to a flattish bit for about 150mts then it was up again over more rocks which now had water running through them causing the rocks to get even more slippy .

    Managed to get to the next style and over it and start climbing again by this time my quads and calfs were screaming at me to stop then I heard a shout " go Razor" it was Horse on his way down, he was about 15 mins in front of me and by this time my head was In the cloud cover and the wind was really strong so I was battling the wind, the clouds, the mud and my legs screaming at me, at this point there was a grassy incline with mud patches here and there as I got to one I tried to jump over it but was a foot short landing with one foot ankle deep In the mud, as I pulled my foot out I left my trainer behind stuck in the mud beat visible, lucky for me the guy behind me pulled it out for me, cheers mate. Finally I made it to the turn around point, I had to touch the style and then set off back down again, this the point where the full distance guys go on up for another 2k I take my hat off to them. So 2.5k done upwards (it's seems a long way) and now for the downhill bit. This wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, in places where you could run it was hard to stop your momentum from tumbling you down into the rocks, which were. Ow covered in mud from all the footfalls on them, so running where I could and sliding where I couldn't I made my way down the mountain side, some people were passing me jumping from rock to rock at a fair pace, how they never broke leg I don't know. Back over the style and down again at this point there were a lot of runners coming up from the long distance so passing was a bit hairy, finally I met the path again and the Marshall directed me to the right. Now I could actually start running properly, got into a good pace using the downhill to my advantage, I was now really motoring down the path a turn left and shit another hill to run up but it was a path so I just gritted my teeth and kept the pace up, got up it and a Marshall says 400 mts to the finish , about 200mts from the finish I hear again"c'mon Razor" and there was Horse cheering me home, I managed to sprint the last 100 mts to the line, phew that was tuff. Run 1.20.27
  • Epilogue.image

    Total time 2'58"35" I was pleased with the result as I have only ran once a week since Salford apart from the local 10 miler last week.

    This was great event but not for the faint hearted, the swim and bike are ok but the run is brutal so I'm glad we opted for the Sprint instead of the full distance don't think I could have faced going up for another 2k.

    Horse finished in 2,36, well done mate, would I do it again yes but with more fell run training and with better shoes.

    I came 94th out of around 350 and 1st in my age group , I don't know how many were in my age group but hey a first is a first.image
  • WhooHooo!!! Go, Go Razor imageimageimage Fantastic report and what an excellent result. Not often we get a Winner on our thread. We're so proud of you. image Hope you've been out celebrating. And hugs to Horse too.

    Buttercup - superb report and sounds a great race. Congratulations image

    Decided at the last minute to enter a short aquathon tonight. The weather is lovely today and am hoping for a mild evening cos it will be in the dark under floodlights.

  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

    Sounds like a fab but mental race Razor! Great report and well done on the win!!!imageimageimage Congrats to Horse too!  Any uphill and I'm a gonner,something to work towards....

  • image Fantastic race reports guys and girl. Well done.

    Mrs D get Mr D to come on here we can properly brain wash him. image

    Razor did you take a look at stockport 10 it was almost full last night so if you hanv't entered go on go on go on as they would say on Father Ted.

  • Great reports, Well done Buttercup, Razor and Horse image

    I' like the sound of the Snowman, its on my list image

    Good luck tonight Chilibean, hope it stays nice too as I'm on the bike image

  • Well done Buttercup and Pete, great reports

    Cake, will have a look tonight not had chance

    Good luck tonight Chilli.

    JP, we opted for the sprint because we didnt know how tuff it was going to be, turned to be the right decision , might be tempted to do the long one next year.

  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

    I planned to go out on the bike too. Then ummed and aah'd about it as don't know any of the roads round here. Finally I gave myself a kick and got going. Pretty good wide roads though relatively busy. 13.68miles in about 1hr 4mins. I did stop about 3 times to check the route and stopped the watch. But I do have a new bigger tyre on the back so maybe that affected my time because I'm not usually that quick. Then I stretched about 20 mins. And lost the ride from my garmin image...

  • Great report Razor, well done on winning and Horse did well. Looking at the website for that race I can see why they say it is tough.


  • wow, well done razor and horse too

    chili - hope the aquathlon went well

    I managed to get out for a run this evening, enjoyed it but there were so many midges and mossies it was a bit uncomfortable! Glad I got out though, so this week is pretty much on track apart from missing swimming on Monday

  • I'm home from a lovely evening. Down at the Lee Valley White Water Centre (Olympic canoe venue) they have been doing a summer series of aquathon. Today was the last one. Started at 7pm under the floodlights and was lovely. 500m open water swim, followed by a 3x2k wriggly run loop.

    Hubby dropped me off with three younger children and then took my eldest to her singing lesson. My girls were simply the best cheerleading team possible and ensured they kept up the Chilibean tradition of making as much noise as they could image

    Am thrilled to anounce that I didn't come last... I think think there was one lady and 2 blokes behind me.

    Hubby picked us up and we came home for apple and blackberry crumble.

  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

    Sounds fab Chili, well done! Nice of them to do something different at the white water centre.

  • Razor, great report, although right now I think I still prefer the run to the swim.

    HI guys, after a really crappy month of illness/injury without so much as a days break inbetween, I'm looking forward to getting back to the focus I had at the end of August.  On the bright side, I got to play with some zombies near Cambridge on Saturday, and had my first morning trail run in weeks today.  It was  a pants run, but at least I'm out there again and able to begin rebuilding.

    Have I missed anything exciting?

  • Hi DS, glad to hear your back to it image

    I'm also feeling back on track after a few weeks of lazyness, I had a good weekend of parkrun and long bike, swam and cycled yesterday, cycled this morning and running tonight, feeling stiff and tired, back to normal again image

  • Cheers JP, and congrats getting back to speed again.

  • image Dawn just remembered I was going to try to talk you into a fell race at the weekend in case your interested? image

    Also still need to give you the cash for outlaw relay.

  • It's all good mate, and I love the idea of that run, but beyond not being fit for it at the moment, I think I'm on the rota for babysitting on Saturday. 

  • Afternoon,

     Had my first training session with my new PT today. 6:30am and i had a stranger grabbing my fat bits to do caliper testing. oh my days. did get on the scales first off and was told i am "light" hoorah. and that my fat is "soft and watery" which is easy to get rid of than the "rock solid" fat that some people have. i was told i am "fairly fit". red rag to a bull hey, wonder what sort of effort i will have to put in to be "superhuman fit".

     In other news, the noise the collegue who sits oppisite me makes when they eat - is somewhere in between one of those pigs that snuffles for truffles in france, a waste disposal unit and me when i am by myself refeeding after a 5 hour sunday freezing cold bike ride.  


Sign In or Register to comment.