Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• pete_inthehills wrote (see)

I managed to get to the pool at 5pm and did 45 minutes of front crawl. Fairly successful. I need to work on my legs as the provide no forward momentum. At least now I know I can get a tuesday swim in each week. 

I'm getting a pool mate this week to help me count the lengths. 

I'll do another 5k run tomorrow if my legs let me. 

5 am yowzers!!!!! I got a garmin for Christmas and it is fab - although it sometimes adds on a 25m here and there. Even works for tumble turns and other strokes!

• brilliant Emma - ran the whole lot with no walk or stopping at all, chatting all the way to a new guy (well, he has been going since June!) who was just the right pace for me image

4 miles - just uploading the garmin to see how long it took - faster than normal is all I can say!

• Well done you MC!! Awesome work!! Just turbo for me tonight nothing exciting to report - swim tomorrow.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    MC - I used run with a club and definitely easier to run faster in a group.

3 miles for me tonight and finally outside! image Much better than in the gym. Outfit malfunction means I have a rub on my thigh image. So running tights in the bin!
  • Well that was my first somewhat frustrating swim. Gym and pool were both busier tonight than they have been at any other point I've been down over the last couple of weeks. Both swimming lanes were quite busy and couldn't get into it in the first 400m, just ended up flailing about the place. Told myself to sort my life out, and started getting my stroke sorted, then ended up unable to pass the people I was then swimming faster than, got frustrated and packed in even trying. Finished up with some sloooow lengths with long rests in between focussing on technique.

• Good running MC - hope things are better at school.

Today's 5k run was the first since maybe Sept, did it in 27mins but hr was in z4 so clearly I need to slow it down until I get my fitness back.

This evenings swim was great, nailed bilateral breathing and totalled. 40 lengths whereas last week I did 28 - feeling pretty chuffed. image instructor is still pushing me hard.
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Great work EcoSeal. Can I have your swim instructor?

Big fail for going for a swim this morning, but then I knew it wasn't going to happen yesterday.

• image I would happily share Mikasa, although I cannot move this morning!
  • My abs ache this morning, but I did 40 minutes on the turbo.

• TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

10k run this morning has turned into a 5k run and potentially a broken hand, off to A&E!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Oh dear, what happened Dan? Hope it's not broken...fingers crossed.

• TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

Not broken it appears, just bruised, came a cropper on a muddy puddle of all things

• Ouch The Dan, glad to hear the hand is bruised not broken.

My thighs have joined the abs in aching, I am hoping to get out for a gentle jog later.

• Long time no post but in the past week I have done a club swim, a park run, a club ride and a 20 min bike threshold thingy session.

However all is not lost as a weekend away looms so normality and lack of training will recommence image 

After that though I really must get on with things, 1st June is not far off now!

• I did a 5k at lunch time.  It's really cold here.  And rainy.  It was a slow one as I'm still aching from last nights swimming.

It appears that everyone is aching today.  Take it easy folks, the season hasn't even started.  I'm having a rest day tomorrow!

• MC - Yay for your club run.
    Bad luck Dan, loads of ways to come a cropper at the moment, especially with the icy mornings.
    Hi Ali *waves*

Just an early morning cycle ride, got lucky and the rain held off for me, tomorrow morning will hopefully be the same.

I'm not too bad ache wise, shoulder/arm was a bit sore yesterday after swim session but mostly good today.

• evening all

lots of good training going on

Dan - hope your hand is ok

not achy at all after the run last night which surprises me. Didn't bother getting out of bed early enough this morning to do anything so left school as soon as I could and jumped on the turbo to do a sufferfest as soon as I got in. Struggled a bit so I guess my legs are feeling it from yesterday but not badly.

let's not talk about my work - it is better that way. I got to lesson 4 today and realised I hadn't planned it! ooops, nice class though and luckily I could just use something I had done with another group earlier so I got away with itimage and it turns out bottom set year 7 which struggle with times tables get algebra better than the clever kids in set 1

• Dan hope your hands ok. Horse you cool mate rare to see you post and it's been deleted.image

image I need to admit I was going to swim this week but so far not been able to due to laziness seriously need to get back in the habbit or I'm going to get into trouble.

• right, I need to decide what to do tomorrow night - there isn't a coach for my normal swimsmooth session, I can go and use the pool, the lifeguard is going to write up the session, but I don't know whether to drive all the way with no coach there, or whether to do a gym or long turbo session instead which don't involve a long drive!

• I'm joining in the feeling achy tonight  - and I didn't fall off my bike.

slow 8.8 mile run last night and could only face 1k swim today - lane was a bit congested. Used paddles for 400m so shoulders got a bit more of a work out I suppose.

keep going everyone!image 

• Half an hour z2 turbo and foam roller this evening. Hopefully ache reduction by tomorrow. Keep up the good work
  • Cake, it was me who posted as Horse , I was baby sitting and was on his I pad.Just went on to ask the moderator for a pirate logo for him, it appears to be a sucsess image

I am aching all over and I've done nowt since last Friday image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

i was naughty yesterday, couldn't face the funny/mad spin instructor so didn't go and didn't do anything else either. Would love to own a turbo and a bike to put on it...one day.

• Mikasa, Turbo's are the devils contraptions, I find myself braving the gales and icy rain to avoid the turbo sesion

Cake, get to that pool buddy, do it do it do it........

EP, glad to see your back into it, my o/h has those pissed off with husband runs image

I'm aching well today, did the club cross country race yesterday but arrived 15 mins after the starting pistol, spent the best part of an hour triping over and ranting to myself before catching the last 3, 2 were injured and the other was nearly 80, but I still caught em image 

• Cake dude, maybe sometime soon we can get some pool time sorted out together round your part of the world.

Got a few short bike miles in very early this morning. insomnia thing has its uses giving me extra hours, but can be exhausting and not useful for recovery. Looking forward to seeing my swim coach on Saturday for the first time in months... meanwhile I've got the swimsmooth DVD's to check out and supplement my self-teaching.

• Dawn just say when it's a bit of a arse at the moment with toing and foring to birmingham but sure it can be sorted. Next time your up to see your step lass could take you into ponds forge in sheffield if you wanted or pop down and see you. image

I ran last night for the first time since poorly and enjoyed it. image

• Cheers mate, look forward to working something out further down the line, great that you're back on your feet again. image