Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Thanks Razor - I had to keep going otherwise I couldn't get home!

mikasa - well done on the run. Cold and wet - you are so right, once you get your kit on its much easier to get going. You have already made the commitment. I probably wouldn't go if I wasn't running with someone. Because I make the arrangement, I have to honour it. I'm also struggling to get good tights. Found some thermal ones from X2U but not in stock until March!!!!

If you find any good ones let me know!

• Yeah i need new ones too Emma my skins just arent cutting it was freezing yesterday once I stopped and had to wait at the train station.  Knee still twinging when I go down stairs so going to give the brick on saturday a miss and just bike or turbo my wee heart out as it looks like it is going to be teaming down!  Oh and why is it not Friday already!!!

• Great training all, especially as the weather is horrid at the moment.

Swim on Tuesday was good, worked on technique and fingers crossed I'm starting to get smoother. Also did a z2 run with an average pace of 9.45min/mile I'd like to find somewhere flat to run to get a better feel for my z2 pace but living on a hill surrounded by other hills doesn't really help.

Yesterday was meant to be a brick session but things at work went nuclear, by the time I got home I just wanted to sleep, will do it this evening though, quite excited about it.

• Lass's this is of no use to you know so apologies but the next time Audi/Lidl do a running kit sale I would check it out. Know they did running tights a bit back but probably all sold out. There stuff is ever rubbish or brilliant but for the prices worth the risk. Even if the next set they sell isn't that grate will still be worth getting for the worst of winter.

Bit of a failed week for me this week. Not really done anything I set out to other than a run the other day but I do have very exciting news. Heavy snow here today. If it stick's I might have to go sledgeing. image

• cake - you are such a kid!! image

luckily the snow here has not been heavy at all, it did sleet as I ran this morning though

I know some people wear shorts over their tights to help with the cold bum/thighs thing, I did try it once and it worked but felt odd. 

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

No sign of snow here... image But at least I get to see it in Italy soon.

Just bought Fink half book and swim smooth. I have to have reference books like these in a real book form so will have to wait till next week to receive them. Excited!

• mikasa - yes I prefer them in real book form, I like to be able to quickly flick to the right page

think I will get the fink half book for the training plans, I am guessing a lot of it might be similar to the full book, but the plans themselves will be different

and I like having books anyway image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Spin spun, different trainer, much better! Really enjoyed it. Not pushing it really hard atm as enough of that with running but better doing it than not.

Tomorrow's my day off. Must go for a swim or maybe two at the weekend. For members, our pool gives out 'swimtags' if you ask which records the lengths you've done,split times, stroke type, stroke rate and apparently much more...Awesome! image

• 45min z2 turbo this evening followed by a foam roller legs have that happy buzzing sensation now image

Last day at current job tomorrow, at times it felt like it would never come.

Forecaste for the weekend looks horrid let's hope there are enough dry patches to get a good ride in.
  • I did a very slow 4k as I was getting a lot of pain in my left leg about an inch below the knee. I was very worried,  but I can't feel any pain now and it feels fine. I'm off to the gym in the morning to measure my max heart rate by running really fast until I nearly die...and then on to the spin bike. 

Oddly, no snow here. 

• I have done my spin class, now very tired.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

EcoSeal - will you start your new job on Monday? Best luck!

• Played out door 5 a side football last night. Still feeling the pain in my shins form the night before run. No running this weekend and hoping they will heal.

Pete- i need to measure my heart rate aswell to start training using zones. 

• morning

eco - enjoy that feeling of it being the last day image

I need to get more technical about using hear rate zones too

I am so tired. Supposed to be a rest day today and I am having one image which makes me feel slightly guilty but I definitely need one

• Lol MC take one if you need one!  The only thing I have done since Wed when my knee/Vastus Medialis started being a pain in the rear is my commute - not swimming tonight - will bus to the pool tomorrow and have a long slow swim then and no brick this weekend.  Hopefully the leg will have sorted itself out by next week!

• just want to sleep all day!

anyone know anything about phones? mine is trying to install a system update but just keeps crashing and I can't turn it on image

• plugged it in and tried again, it made lots of weird noises but has worked, phew!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Rest day is a very important part of any training schedule!

Sorry, don't know anything about phones.

But my work trousers are starting to get bit loose! image

• MrsDigger (aka sicknote) wrote (see)

Hope the shoulder feels better DS! 

Thanks Mrs D, it's the golfers elbow thing that's really the challenge to get sorted, but at least I can still run and do the turbo thing while I work on it.

Today was a very small ask from Fink, so I tethered up to Dawn Dog and took him a run down the trail with me.

Yay for loose work trousers and phones that bring on the 'phew' word, have a great weekend everyone.

• Had another go at the swim threshold test this morning after the Garmin file for my last one was very odd. This morning it was a 50 meter pool and much more enjoyable and file looks to be all OK. I must be the only person to have to take 2 goes to get it right! Now if I could just stop punching the lane divider every time I bring my arm up or down I might go a bit quicker and would have so many bruises.

I feel such fraud at the moment and have a bloomin great Garmin on my arm bashing on the lane divider every stroke doesn't help me when I'm trying to hide.image

• mikasa wrote (see)

But my work trousers are starting to get bit loose! image

That's great news!  Although if you eat more chocolate, it will solve that problem!

• Ali - I often bash the lane rope as well - sore when it is a hard plastic one!

mikasa - great news on the trousers

• Ali I put my garmin on my togs as it annoys the crap out of me hanging off my wrist image good job on the swim test tho'!  I bash it too image

• does it actually measure the lengths like that buttercup? mine needs to be on my wrist to pick up what stroke I am doing and then the differences (ie the glide at the start of the length) is what makes it count the lengths. MInd you, I never wear it in the pool image ought to though because I often lose count...

• MC/Mikasa - thanks for the +ve words, finished now, I start the new job on Monday really really excited about it image literally the job of my dreams.

Rest day today, being taken out to dinner by one of the clients I've worked extensively with for the past 2-3 years, really thoughtful of them.

Pete I hope your shin settles down and that goes for your elbow too DS.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I wonder what it is like to have a job of your dreams... What will you be doing?

• Mine doesn't measure lengths image it's not flash like yours MC image I have to actually push the lap button myself!

• Thanks for talking about watches for swimming, put the Garmin on charge ready for  the morning.

I have new shoes for my off road 10k, they will be yucky muddy brown by Sunday lunch time. I have not bothered before in having specific off roaders but as the course is going to be muddy and with a few fallen trees to scramble over or around I thought it would be better than wrecking the road ones.

Anyone else racing this weekend?

• I''ve been appointed as the energy analyst for an organisation with a large and complex estate. I'll be monitoring buildings performance, setting targets and developing energy management strategies for each site.

Good luck for you race CJ.
  • eco that is exciting image good luck for Monday

steady - good luck for the race

my phone is playing silly buggers now, just turns itself off randomly, don't know if it was the system update that has done it or whether the battery has suddenly gone caput but I am not pleased - I only got it last summer. Need to hunt out the receipt in case I need to have it repaired as it will be under warrantee still