Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Nice work Ali, I'm yet to get to the pool image Lovely to have you back!

Mikasa - when I got caught in the CBA rut. I cut the volume of training and increased regularity. If you only have 20 mins of training to do much easier to get it done! Soon build up and improve motivation! 

Fair play Buttercup still out on the bike in this weather - HARDCORE image

LSR for me later so chilling out with Midsomer Murders at the mo image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MrsDigger - sound advice and exactly what I was thinking. Might only do 3 milers this week as it seems manageable, though a long run is due at the weekend. Sometimes I just tell myself to go out and just walk and it always ends up as a run.

I really struggle with the swim times though as am not an early bird and the evenings are too late. Will have to find a way through it though, otherwise I'll only swim at weekends.

• mikasa I'm not a early bird ever bnut lucky enough to have a large pool right next to where I work. If your able to get into the habit of training in the morning's will be very useful if you go on to go long.

SteadyCJ wrote (see)

Just popping in to apologise for absence. Loss of mojo and feeling chesty.

I  managed a swim and pilates class yesterday but felt like an old woman of 90.

Turbo session tonight is looking unlikely as I need to get organised for a silly o'clock start travelling to Birmingham. Then even worse staying in a hotel with no gym or pool and no time to train, all work stuff including dinner with early start on Friday.

Steady where are you in brum? If it's anywhere near Erdington sarah can get you into her gym for free if you message her. The pool is not the best but if your really lucky sarah might have baked last night as well. image I'd send her a message on farsebook if your interested. Just checked and she is planning on going to the gym anyway tonight so might work out well depending what time your dinner is.

• Max heart rate recorded so far is 181 so I think 182 is an accurate for figure for me to work from.
    2 out of 3 swims complete just one more for the week at silly o'clock tomorrow.
    Tonight is a much enjoyed night off, no exercise required, no clubs, no trips etc. Just cook tea and attack the monster pile of laundry that has respawned now I'm training again.image

Off topic but did you know a provisional driving license now costs £50 then it's another £50 when you pass to get the full one. Ah well will have to step up and make the payment for eldest son.

• Ali - blimey, don't think I will let me kids driveimage less chance of them killing themselves then

crap day at work, I am really down with work at the mo. So left early and went for a little run, off to swimsmooth session soon too image

• Had been planning a gym and swim session tonight. However I've just got back after a horrible 2.5 hour drive home from work that involved trying to convince my van that it did, infact, actually want to go up the snow covered road right behind the 4x4 gritter/snowplough. I lost that argument though, and had to turn around by reversing into a drift and then take a massive detour, involving driving over another snow covered, but slightly less steep, pass to get home. RARGH. And now my left arm seems to be damaged in some way, so swimming and weights are best avoided.

Plan changed to 30 minutes on the treadmill followed by 30 minutes in the spa pool shouting encouragement to the wife as she swims

• 9 miles LSR done. VERY SLOWLY! 

• Well done Mrs D.

Hang in there teacher types, you'd have thought the system would work out that it doesn't make sense to have teachers too tired to think.

Just a short Fink turbo session for me today and a programmed rest day tomorrow.  Fingers crossed the weather's good enough Saturday morning to get out on the road with the bike.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Just spin for me tonight. Wasn't really feeling it.

• EP - you have started training again and that is the main thing. Why are you at school till 5:15 - or is that the rules of the academy you work at?

Swimming was great - we did a CSS test and I have knocked 36 seconds off my 400m time and 22 seconds off my 200m time.  I may still be slow but I am a lot quicker than I used to beimage The last time we did the tests was October/November time 

• Maths - you're on fire! Lovin it image

Mikasa - you did something, that's what matters!

DS - I believe snow showers and gales forecast. Good Luck image

EP - keep the faith. I can never resist chocolate or cheese! 

• Ooo... Meant to say. DB, this encouragement you speak of. Public pool, more like heckling?

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MC - Fab work and brilliant progress!

In spin, half a time I can't hear properly what we're supposed to do because the music is so loud. Find it bit frustrating but will just keep doing my own thing. Still need to buy that turbo, maybe I'll try to go shopping at the weekend.

Tbh, my lackluster performances might be somewhat to do of not getting enough sleep. Going to bed way too late because I can't stop reading a good book. image

• Woo speedy MC I'm very impressed. image
    My Garmin still can't  understand my attempts at swimming so no idea how slow I am. I got overtaken by a head above the water, no splashy, breaststroke, lady this morning so I think it's safe to say I'm not quick!

EP school hours don't sound fun and I know you have to lesson plan and mark on top of those as well. You can also put a big tick next to my name for eating crap too, half my massive box of valentines chocolates might have already disappeared. image  Hubby loves to sabotage, but it's still me that ate them. image

Last swim completed for the week which is great as I was starting to think I would grow gills and that's not the look I generally go for.

DS - Hope you make it, the forecast for here can be summed up in one word, Turbo!

TGIF - got a running workshop to go to on Sunday, should be interesting. Is it OK to answer  the question "Which areas of your running technique would you like to work on?" with "All of them." ? Or I could go for "Technique, what's technique?" image

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

• Well no run for me today as mental toughness doesn't go as far as pushing me out into the rain today - sigh it's been a week of 1 day of run mute (so one 8.4k run 2 x 3.3k runs) and the rest commute bike, 2 x 2hr sessions on the turbo and a hilly bike on sunday.  No swims.

Part of the lack lustre desire to train is the peeps who fund our research are probably going to pull out of the project as it's not showing them results fast enough which probably means I won't have a job in a month or two.  So weeny bit stressed but will get my crap together for next week tho when my new finky regime starts.

Well done MC!! Excellent work! image

Long slow run done is better than no run done Mrs D!! Keep it up!

Mikasa I have a good book on the go too! image

Oh and Im so over this weather - I would just like to order no rain for at least a month please and thank you!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

ButterCup - fingers crossed for your work.

I'm with you on the weather front, surely this is enough rain for awhile?!

Gonna chill out tonight. Just hoping my train home will be on time.

• On Monday I start Fink's 16 week 1/2IM program taking me up to the Grafman on 8th June.

I may be looking for advice/support on here image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Last out of the water - look forward to hearing about your half training as I'm thinking about doing The Wild Boar with others from this thread but never done one before.  
    Are you using the Half Fink plan and if, which one?

• Yes I am using Fink's intermediate program from his new 1/2 IM book
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Excellent, that's what I'm thinking of doing too although I still have many obstacles in my way. Good luck with the training and do keep posting here. 

• Hey Last out of the water - there are many of us doing halves this year - Im doing the Outlaw Half and the Wild Boar too image

Im pretty much decided to rejig my build up to the Outlaw half due to hubby getting me the fink half pint book for valentines day - I missed the first week but have been doing training anyway so not bothered by that - although this weeks training has been pants.  Onwards and upwards!

• Good luck with your training.. I will update regularly. image
  • buttercup - sorry to hear about the job situation. Don't become a teacher is my only sane careers advice 

anyway, half term now, despite not sleeping last night I got up early enough to run 6 miles, so feeling very pleased - did the Jeff Galloway run/walk and it works so well for me and leaves me feeling really happy with my runsimage

going to have a turbo tonight and a nice long sleep!

• Last out of the water, I am another Outlaw half person.

Thanks for the offer Cake to meet up with Sarah, did not have time and was right in the centre of Birmingham at the Holiday Inn near the station.

I have not done much training and am looking forward to a long sleep as have felt terrible all day.

I have tickets to go the the London Bike Show and Tri show at Docklands tomorrow, will keep the credit card locked up for safety.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    The weather could do one! An hour and a half at the station waiting. Somehow I knew this was going to happen, after all it's Friday and people want to get home...
  • I was alway glad that I cycled my commute . I may have been wet and cold, but at home.
  • Nasty nights, speak to you guys in a few days!