Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MC - what a hassle! Hope you get it all sorted out and your son passes.

Steady - good on you not letting a crappy day get to you. I'm to swim in the morning as well.

Had my last appointment in the gym which meant weighing and measurements, lost a bit on everything so happy with that, nothing major though. Then 2 mile run on the treddie, just couldn't cope with another mile so left it at that.

• Options

((EP)) enjoy the pain of the sports massage it is good pain.

• Options

((EP)) a hard time - hope the family can enjoy the wedding and have a special memory of him when he is gone

• Options

Oh EP, big hugs. I had a massage on tuesday and when she was working on my ITB, it went from mildly uncomfortable to incredibly painful in a heart beat. I nearly jumped off the table!

And I suspect that you are not a fatpig. 

Chin up, every cloud is worth two in the silver bush spoils the broth....or something... (insert comforting phrase here)

• Options

(((EP)))

Decided against the pool.  I didn't have a plan for the session and as the morning is 'lane swimming' only, I'd probably use my dodgy arm more than I should do. I'll give it another week.

I did get out for my Fink run session though, took Dawn Dog with me for a run over the fields.

• Options

Hoping to find my mojo tonight when i go for a run.  I have given myself a stern talking to so as soon as I get home tonight I'm out the door and down the road!

EP stop all that negative crap you are better than that! It can be hard to find your focus when the stress levels go up but good job on keeping up the running image 

Well done DS!

The days are getting longer - gotta be happy about that - and it seriously wasn't cold this morning nor raining!!! image

• Options

buttercup - the weather is much better now so easier to get out.

And exercise is one of the best things for stress, even though it is difficult to make yourself do it when feeling stressed

EP - you did a run a yesterday, so focus on that and on whatever training you are doing today

• Options

Hi,

Not been on here long just viewing from the sides as it were and have a very keen interest in Tri's, so thought I would test water 

Are all you guys commenting here training for a sprint? Plus, can someone explain to me,  why some folk have Pirate flags?

Thanks advance.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I'm sorry if I'm responsible for all this CBA talk as I think I started it... Come on, lets just do it!!! image

I went for an early morning swim, yay! image 999m with silly people in the pool. One lady didn't really understand lane etiquette and twice turned before the end because I was catching her up and another one doing backstroke started drifting to the middle towards the end though she saw I was at her feet! Had to politely tell her to keep it straight.

Hi Redog and welcome! I think most here are training towards middle distances but will be doing sprints on the way. I've only done one sprint before, training for another one but want to do an olympic and hopefully middle distance this year as well. But everyone's welcome whatever the level.

Pirate flags are for the piratey people, some one else will explain better as I'm not one.

• Options

You get a Pirate flag if you have done a full Ironman Redog image most of us are doing Half IMs this year and doing sprints etc along the way as well.  Where are you based and what training are you doing? Do you have a race in mind?

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Ooh, I didn't know you could only get the flag after doing a full IM. That'll probably not be me then... image

• Options

Doesn't mean you can't wear the kit tho' Mikasaimage in fact I would say wear the kit cause the support you get is freaking awesome - they even sing you songs - isn't that right boys and girls?

• Options

Good Morning all, well, jut about still morning anyway.

Run clinic was interesting on Sunday, although confirmed that I am very bendy so most stretches really don't do much for me. But a few key pointers and this mornings run was a blast, haven't felt that good on a run in a long time so Sunday was money well spent. Here's hoping I can keep up the minor changes and they will make a big difference over time. So it's lift those heel's up and lead with the hips for me image New toy arrived this morning so soon I will know just how slow my run cadence is.

RD like the others I'm aiming for middle/half distance this year. Had a go at full and failed so am regrouping before having another crack next year.

Hope all those suffering CBA or having trough times; I hope things improve for you soon, upside is that it is light by 7am now image

• Options

redog the pirate flag thing is from this can be good but some take it a little to seriously.

Which sprint are you thinking off and hello mate. image

EP Hope the wedding at the weekend goes ok and less of the fat pig for a start your not and for seconds self defication isn't allowed kiddo you need to be thinking about what you want to do and how your going to do it. And not what you think might be holding you back or your not going to do it. Any one tell's you different let us know and I'm talk gibberish at them and melt there brian with foolishness. image

• Options

Thanks for the replies image

Mikasa – I must admit I feel your pain with regards to swimming in a morning, it’s a little like organised chaos, this alone can be a challenge, especially so early in the morning and before coffee.

Suckitupbuttercup -  Bit of a long story as to time scales, always fancied doing a Tri yrs ago. Then forgot that would like to do a tri for as many yrs. 2012 the Olympics reminded of that thought and started training late September of 2012 and lost my way mid 2013, started training again june-ish last year and here I am... (I have manged to carry on through it all and not fall off the training wagon) image

So have been back training since summer and have managed to keep up the training to date (which has resulted in a change in my outlook and now are a lot more focussed)

I am from the Uk, Midlands between Nottingham and Derbyshire. I am hoping to do the Erewash sprint Tri, although as my training is going well. I would like to work towards a middle distance maybe this year or an Olympic, not sure if this is pushing it too far?! You know with still being a newbie in comparison.

Cake - Love that ha!

Ahhh, thanks for clearing up the Pirates thing and nice to meet you all. I feel The Pirates thing I would fit in well  image

Hope that all makes sense.

• Options

AliBear - Best of luck for next time, at least your still going which takes enough to do alone. image

• Options

redog - welcome. Quite a few of us are in the same kind of area and are planning on the wild boar middle distance in September. Also the piglet in May, both Market Bosworth based. A lot of us are also doing the Outlaw Half in Nottingham in June - you could go along and heckle. There is also always a pirate feed station at the Outlaw in July, there may be a thread up and running for that. I did the feed station last year, had a brilliant time and got to meet loads of people off here

and don't worry about being a newbie - most of us are fairly new to tri, some people are better/faster than others but that doesn't matter, we are generally all in it for a bit of fitness and a good time image

oh, looks like they aren't calling it the little piglet but the full boar sprint

http://www.fullboarevents.com/event.php?event=12

• Options

Redog - Come do the little piglet!! We are also doing the East Leake Sprint tri end of March if you want to have a go at a pool tri or just come support.

• Options

Regod I'm thinking your very near a few of us if you need any help with it.

A middle distance tri this year might be challanging but not unachievable this year of you fancy it. The rest is just down to time and how much it might hurt. Have you got any weakness's off the three? For me it's always been swimming and then make it up on the bike and run.

I'd definantly get yourself down to the outlaw course this year if you fancy it. You will learn a lot from watching how everyone else is doing it and the mistakes they might make plus it's a bit of a laugh. image

East Leake and the piglet are both good newbie friendly races if you want to play at ever.

• Options

Regod im hoping to get to outlaw and watch his year. I might help out if i can make sure i can make it

• Options

can be good but some take it a little to seriously.

I feel The Pirates thing I would fit in well  image read that wrong, as I dont take it too seriously ha!

SuckitupButterCup wrote (see)

Redog - Come do the little piglet!! We are also doing the East Leake Sprint tri end of March if you want to have a go at a pool tri or just come support.

Never knew about the above image I will have a look image

thanks folks image

• Options
    mathschick wrote (see)

redog - welcome. Quite a few of us are in the same kind of area and are planning on the wild boar middle distance in September. Also the piglet in May, both Market Bosworth based. A lot of us are also doing the Outlaw Half in Nottingham in June - you could go along and heckle. There is also always a pirate feed station at the Outlaw in July, there may be a thread up and running for that. I did the feed station last year, had a brilliant time and got to meet loads of people off here

and don't worry about being a newbie - most of us are fairly new to tri, some people are better/faster than others but that doesn't matter, we are generally all in it for a bit of fitness and a good time image

oh, looks like they aren't calling it the little piglet but the full boar sprint

http://www.fullboarevents.com/event.php?event=12

Might be a good starter to open water image Thanks for the welcome too image

• Options

OMG Pilates class tonight was a good workout, lots of shoulder work which was tough after the morning swim of mainly front crawl. I also had to practice tumble turns. I may ache in the morning.

• Options
    Cake wrote (see)

Regod I'm thinking your very near a few of us if you need any help with it.

A middle distance tri this year might be challanging but not unachievable this year of you fancy it. The rest is just down to time and how much it might hurt. Have you got any weakness's off the three? For me it's always been swimming and then make it up on the bike and run.

I'd definantly get yourself down to the outlaw course this year if you fancy it. You will learn a lot from watching how everyone else is doing it and the mistakes they might make plus it's a bit of a laugh. image

East Leake and the piglet are both good newbie friendly races if you want to play at ever.

Very kind offer, yeah I might just take you guys up on this. I was meant to go and Outlaw to watch last year, but I missed it!

Ye, think def a sprint this year. My weakness is running, however recently joined a running club and getting to the point of easily doing 5K. Just back after a injury, 5 weeks in and still strong... So all good! Might swimming has been helped by my fitness from running image

• Options

AliBear - Best of luck for next time, at least your still going which takes enough to do alone. image

• Options

Ran and swam last night, did 40 lengths, most I've done for ages albeit at a very slow pace, need to get me arse into gear as I'm doing the swimathon 5k, at this rate it'll take me about 3 1/2 hours, I dont think the pool will be open that late ha ha

Hey Redog, be good to meet you at the Outlaw, might see you at the Piglet are you entering?

• Options

redog - I didn't really run all last year because of a knee injury but that didn't stop me doing some sprint tris - you can walk the run section image

JP - your arms are going to ache after the swimathon if you don't do a bit more swimming before then!

great run with the running club last night - 4 miles in 46 minutes which is fast for me image

taking the kids out on the bikes today because it is nice weather image might sneak a turbo in later too

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MC - your running is coming along nicely!

I seem to only be able to push myself in a 'race' situation. A run will be done this evening, not sure how long yet.

JP - I could not imagine swimming 5k atm, but perhaps bit more training for you too. 

• Options

Hi Redog image

Good going JP, if you can get them to keep the pool open yet a couple more hours, I might be able to join in. image

MC - Yay for your run, you can't feel much better than great! 

It was a short brick session for me this morning.  I'm having some saddle discomfort issues at the moment, so a tad ouchy while I get the saddle better adjusted/improve my riding position.