Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I was reading another thread and Rafiki had a put a link to some tri's and open water swims in Reading. Lots of good stuff there that I was not aware of at all. There's was Wellington Tri that's near me, 400m swim (in a 40m outdoor pool), 20mile bike and 10k run  on 3rd August. I was think about doing olympic distance at VAchery but that's cancelled now, would the Wellington tri do instead as a prep for the Boar?

• Woo hoo... Nasty nights finished!!!!!!!! image

Welcome Redog image

Loads going on, so, hurrah to those training well. JFDI to those that are struggling with CBA and remember, how you feel will only dictate what you do if you let it! 

• Yes Mrs D image got my swimming mojo on this morning - 54 mins for 2k swim image 2 mins faster than best OW swim last year! Was v happy this morning.  I don't know where it came from but Im running with it!

Come to the Wild Boar Redog - and much like the darkside we have cookies!*

*by cookies I mean jelly babies and probably BACON!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Has anyone signed up for Boar yet?

• Not yet but will be doing that sooner than laterimage

• mikasa - yeah, running coming along nicely though my knees are grumbling a bit, but I haven't really kept up all the stuff the physio told me to do so I must make tiume for that

well done on your swim buttercup

8 mile MTB with the kids this morning, I don't know how they manage to have so many accidents in such a short space of time!! Eldest one came off, youngest one managed to get a handlebar in the balls....cafe stop made up for it all though image

• another short 5k at lunch time in 25.32mins.  A whole 2 seconds faster than monday.  Yay.

Death by home made pizza tonight...yum!

• Hi to all,

Hey Redog, be good to meet you at the Outlaw, might see you at the Piglet are you entering? JP-  Are their still places available then? As is that one quite soon? Scary thought lol and yes I will be attending the Outlaw to support all the triathletes, will have to meet up.

MC - Well there is hope for me yet then, as my running has always been my weakest area.

Hey Dawn Shadow - Hi image Nice to meet you

• SuckitupButterCup wrote (see)

Yes Mrs D image got my swimming mojo on this morning - 54 mins for 2k swim image 2 mins faster than best OW swim last year! Was v happy this morning.  I don't know where it came from but Im running with it!

Come to the Wild Boar Redog - and much like the darkside we have cookies!*

*by cookies I mean jelly babies and probably BACON!

I will come along without doubt image

Mrs D Thanks and hi image

• Hello everyone,

I haven't caught up on the last three weeks of posts.

The new job I took on - well turned out to be a complete fail and whilst I had the opportunity to return to my old company I made the decision to quit, so currently working out my weeks notice period.  The past three weeks have been incredibly difficult, stressful and tiring, I've done nothing except work, worry about work and try and sleep. Although my previous role wasn't perfect the work was varied, utilised my skills and gave me a good quality of life.  I made a mistake which is pretty uncomfortable to admit when you are in a new job.

Looking forward to reading back and getting stuck into some training - I've really missed it.

• eco - sorry to hear about the job not working out, and hard as it might be to quit it is better to do it now than end up having some kind of breakdown

• Eco glad to hear that you can take something positive from the situation.

I kicked my mojo up the backside as it was trying to tell me to CBA and I refused to listen.

I did 45 minute turbo, quickly realised that the chest is not quite clear but enough to exercise. Legs are aching now and will need to stretch out the calves as the right one went tight and crampy whilst pedalling.  First pedal for nearly 2 weeks, onwards and upwards.

• Well done guys on your training. 

Ive been stuck in a training course all day, 9 hours in a room with no windows. As soon as i got home i put my running gear on. Its my first run in 2 weeks as resting my poorly shins. Put my garmin on and the battery was flat. Grabbed my casio back up and started running. Think i was running at too fast of pace because half way round i had an awful stitch and couldnt look at my garmin for pace. 

i got home and fell to the floor out of breathe but looked at my watch and finish the 5K the fastest i have ever done. Knocked 4 minutes of my PB with a time of 24 minutes. I couldnt believe it. Not sure if it was the frustration of the training course and not being able to see my pace on the garmin. Either way im pretty happy chappy. 

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Eco - so sorry to hear the new job hasn't worked out. I'm sure you will find something better.

Steady - well done on doing the training!

EP - well done on the run. It will get easier!

Bristol - wow, that's a big chunk  to take of your PB, well done!

I'm still not quite feeling it but a 5 mile run for me tonight. image mikasa 1 - CBA 0 (this week)image  However, it feels like I've pulled a muscle on my upper hamstring. image Hopefully it does not persist as spin booked for tomorrow.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Definitely done something to my leg. image It's not hurting that much but it's definitely not right. Will go to spin however and see how much I can do but am supposed to do a long run tomorrow...

• Take care mikasa, I hope it's nothing sharp or horribly tight and twangy.

I was going to have a bike session this morning, but have opted for stretching and walking instead.  I want to give my bum a couple of days to soothe, before weather permitting getting out for an early 1:30hrs on Saturday - it'll give me a better chance of knowing how well my seat is adjusted now.

• mikasa - don't do the long run if your leg isn't right. I was going to do a run today but knees are not right so turbo instead. Shame because the weather is nice for a run

• I managed 3 mile run last night, generally manage 9 miles a week currently. Although was struglling a bit with it last night.

Had to stop twice and walk, only walked 20 meters or so, it's just annoying when I know I can normally run it.

Incidently, I was'nt the only one to have a shocker. So it must have been something in the air, after the weekend I will start swimming in a morning before work. image Well, I will be attempting to swim lol!  

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Spin for me tonight. I'm way off the gears the instructor wants us to use but I just keep doing my own pace. Took it easy tonight because of the pulled muscle but I didn't feel it at all and I think spinning actually loosened it up.

I'm so struggling to find trail shoes. I generally have to go a size up cos my feet are so wide but then they're too long. When I went to Sweatshop I tried Nike Wildhorse's in 4.5 and they felt good but I knew with swollen feet the right would be too narrow. So found 5's online and tried them today after spin and I'm still struggling for width. Aaargh, I don't know what to do...image

• 30minutes on the spin bike for me at lunch time. Tomorrow I've agreed to meet at the gym at 6.15...I plan 30 minutes bike and 20 minutes run. Although I did plan to be asleep by now...

• Mikasa -  i too have wide feet and New Balance are the way forward. They do different width running trainers so no need to go up a size.

I have 5 a side footy last night which was good. Something that wasnt good was waking up in the middle of the night really angry about swimming. Im ok with swimming over 1km in a session just can not put more than 150-200 together without having to have a rest. Its really gettings on my nerves now as you can see

• BP & Mikasa - I have never bought trail trainers before, but I do mostly road running. Although when the nights are lighter I do run round our local Shipley country park, stupid question alert.

Would I be better with trail trainers? Never seems overly rugged terrain to warrant it lol!

BP - How long have you been swimming?

• redog - if it isn't rugged or particularly muddy then road shoes are just fine

BS - don't get worked up about your swimming!  Are you having lessons/swimming with a club? Why do you need to stop after 200m? Out of breath? knackered? bored?

If you are out of breath then I suggest you slow down a bit, make sure you are breathing out all the time your head is under water. A few technique sessions might help, or look up swimsmooth on the internet, there is loads of advise there and videos etc

good swim last night,, though I felt pretty tired I was still pleased in the end. 

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I might have to send my trails shoes back...image They look awesome though. Need to find another shop to go try shoes but my half mara's in 2 weeks and I'm away this weekend and from next weekend to hm.

Also, my lovely neighbor woke me up 3.30am with his thumbing music, eventually had to get up  and tell him to quieten it down. Then washing machine woke me coming on about 5ish I think. Tired, lots to do tonight and very early morning tomorrow, not sure I can manage a long run (hamstring still not quite right either) but might go for a short one if time.

• Mikasa - sounds like you're having a tough time of it at the moment, hope things improve soon, grrrhh to noisy neighbour. Saucony are general good for wide fit and I'm sure they do a trail shoe too.

I'm feeling decidedly soggy, swimming is complete for the week which almost makes up for the stingy sinus, squelchy ears and achy shoulders that  I've got this morning.

Bike tomorrow and the forecast looks Ok but also need to spend time with my Sons who have been super stars all week on half term so might end up being turbo in the evening instead.

Cutback week next week thank dog as I'm cream crackered, although I'm in the  pool again on Monday morning I think my feet are stating to web...

• Oh dear mikasa, that's not a good set of circumstances - hopefully you'll get a better night's sleep tonight.  

FWIW, the runners shop I sometimes use is open up to 8pm a couple of nights a week, maybe there's somewhere similar near to you?

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Thanks ladies. Thankfully I know the neighbor and he's alright really, just bit too noisy for my liking, only really happens at weekends generally though.

Sweatshop in Woking was the closest to me. Though there is a shop called Alton Sports where I work so will need to go there one lunch time. Not today cos I'll be watching Finland vs Sweden Ice Hockey semi-final match. Already agreed to take my lunch break in bits: 20min off, 15 on, 20 off, 15 on, 20 off. image

• Unsure, but possibly a useful time to mention that Dawn isn't my name, so much as an indication of what time I often run. I'm of the man-flu gender - not that I'd ever mention it if I was ill, not me... no.