Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• SuckitupButterCup wrote (see)

Cake is running is he not?

Alas I'm running somewhere else on the day in liverpool sorry chuckles.

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

You know the phrase "If you do what you've always done you'll get what you've always got?"
    My current training plan is the total  opposite of that I'm so far out of my comfort zone it's not funny! image But it is good for me and so far just 1 session in it's been fun. Here's hoping I survive until the end of the week,
    I also am apparently doing a half marathon on the 16th March, madness, but I'll give it a go.

PS any tips for remembering more complex run and bike sessions? My swims sets are now stuck on my water bottle but that would be a bit hard to see on the bike. I'm thinking of going old school and writing it on my hand with a biro.. but then gloves would cause an issue... image

• Ali - tape it to the stem?

• Ali if the stem doesn't work well do you have a bento box? Depending on the box might work out easy to have it displayed on that? I've done that for directions before and worked well other than the wind took them once in the middle of nowhere. image

If you have accress to a laminator works ever better.

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Bento box is a possibility, daren't put sticky tape on my lovely new steed, the first race number is going to be a painful momentimage

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I went swimming this morning and suffered broken nose clip again but continued. Now been for the sports massage and had my ITB and TFL worked on as they were very tight and ouchy. Pilates tonight but that will have to be done gently.

• steady - you have just reminded me that I should roller!!

run this morning - very frosty but started getting light as I got home which is lovely image

• EP - you just need to practice. Being able to kick 50 is amazing! I used to go backwards when I kicked. I can move forwards now but very very slowly!

• Hey EP

I'm also struggling with swimming. I did 30 minutes in the pool last night, mostly dodging folk and trying to avoid being jumped on at each end. I'm never going to be fast or have great technique but I just want to be able to do the distance without drowning. 

• I read that as pool before pooping image ran 22.8 km today not by design but did run mute and forgot bus money and wallet so running home was the only choice image the run home is best described as a recovery run but I got home and not really stiff at all this morning which I will take as a win!

• Hey all,

Swim last night, lots of resistance work to try and make me stronger, can see improvements but I did manage to almost swim backwards when using a pull bouy, my legs just swayed alarmingly from side to side and I didn't seem to go anywhere!

Going to attempt a run at lunch time. . . . . . . 

• Well done swimming peeps. 

I'm not back in the pool yet, my left arm is still a tad pins and needly with ulnar nerve/golfers elbow woes causing grief.  It took me a year to get rid of the golfers elbow last time, really hoping I can beat that record.

On the bright side, as long as I don't need to squeeze the back brake with any speed and conviction then cycling is still do-able, as is running - and as it was a bit frosty out, I did today's programmed 30mins on the turbo..

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

EcoSeal, perfect timing for your comment as I tried 500m pull yesterday for the first time and that is exactly what happened to me. I presume I need to stop my legs swaying alarmingly? Legs go left when right arm is coming up and over and legs go right when left arm comes up and over.

Still out of comfort zone today, 6 mile run with 3 miles at short tempo pace in the middle of it, ouch!

• Ali - according to my swim teacher it was hilarious. . . . anyway its because you tense your legs to grip the pull bouy they then just sway about, you have to learn how to maintain the grip on the PB without losing your body rotation, apparently its all about making sure your head position is good and using your trunk to fully rotate rather than relying on shoulders/hips. Stay strong from trunk to feet.

If you can't keep good body rotation PB work isn't useful because it can mean you stop the rotation when you are swimming without a PB. 

This is only what I was told last night I haven't done any extensive research so I could be talking rubbish!

• the thing with kicking in the swim is that you won't get much propulsion from it, but your kick should help you maintain a good position in the water and stop your legs from causing drag which just slows you down. I know that, but my legs won't always do what my mind is telling them to do!!

I did a turbo session today but I am shattered. And I ate too many pre-parents evening snacks and am feeling a bit fat now!!

• Alibear - when I did a 50 mile ride last year I laminated my map, hole punched a hole at each corner and then tied it onto my bike with string. Would that work for you?

Another 5k run/walk this morning.

• You're all making me feel very guilty about the lack of swimming! Taking a couple of days rest, feel very tired and flu like. Determined to stop it before it starts image

• Seriously 2 days on the couch when I had the manflu and I was like a woman reborn Mrs D image

I biked home 30 km last night - took me freaking ages on my beastie bike - was averaging 18-19 km an hour when I wasn't in the traffic between the uni and long eaton or going up hills very slowly - it took me 1:50.  My legs had a hangover from tuesday so they weren't really interested in biking either image 

• Rest up Mrs D.

Pixie - I attended something similar down here and found it really useful - it was aimed around riding in a group so lots of drills to get you confident on the bike, track stands, picking up bike bottles off the floor whilst you ride past, hands on shoulders of the rider next to you, all really useful stuff and good fun.

Just got back from my 2nd swim of the week (image) hoping to turbo tonight, just found out my OH has organised a track taster session for me, the weekend after next, excited and a tiny bit scared, those bankings are steep.

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the tip EcoSeal, must loosen grip on pull buoy image
    Swim this morning would have gone better if I'd nto left my water bottle with the set written on it, in the car, only realised once I was in the pool and no way was I getting out and changed and back again to get it. Guessed pretty close in the end though.

I've managed to load tonight's run set as a workout onto my 910 so will see how that goes later. How I do that for tomorrows multi-brick session remains to be seen.

• hi

I seem to have got the lurgy - sore throat, headachy etc, so no run, and even worse skipping my swimsmooth session image I am going to be in a sulk about that

I have a half marathon on Sunday so just hoping I am up to it, and if I am not that I am sensible enough to stay in bed and not make myself worse by doing it!

• EP - that ride thing looks good, it is on a bad date for me though as that is when we will be driving back from Easter hols in wales image

• Lol it's the day before my bday so probably not Pixie image MC take it easy chook and if you aren't up for it just let that one go and think of the bigger picture aye image

• buttercup, I know it is just so annoying. Bloody virus could have waited till Monday to strike! Mind you, yesterday when I was on the turbo I did suspect something was wrong as my hr was a bit high

• I'm struggling, Boo the dog is taking me for a run image

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Ouch, spin class tonight, where I made the discovery that my sit bones are still tender from all the cycling last week. I was so glad when we got to the climbing sections and could get out of the saddle.