Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

TheDan - fab time, well done!

Hardly any wind in Fleet half today, have to say it would've been too hot for me to run today.

MrsD - how did you get on?

• Well, all done. Very hilly and my legs are done in. But yay! image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Great job MrsD!!! image

• well done MrsD

well, I tried to post earlier, but the internet connection died and I lost my post image

18 mile run/walk this morning nice and early at 14:25 min/miles and heart rate z1/z2 all the way image Would have loved to have gone out on the bike too but had to spend the afternoon trawling Nottingham's shops for school trousers to fit youngest who seems to have a slightly bigger belly than standard! He is 'stocky' though not fat, I think, does loads of exercise but does enjoy his food. When I told him we had to go to Nottingham his first thought was of which cafe we would visit! Takes after me I thinkimage

feeling fine after my run so should make it to swimming tonight too image

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I went for a bike ride with the club, ended up doing a total of 45 miles around the Surrey Hills. Very tired by the end and had to go home the flat long way or I would have had to walk up every hill or incline encountered.

Well done on those that got out, it was a bit windy in places. Thank goodness tomorrow is a rest day.

• Where was your route Steady?

First time out on road bike for me today since about last August I think. 14 miles, still finding it hard but it wasn't totally flat (Mytchett loop) and averaged about 13mph. Well knackered after. Coming back slowly.

Must admit, I was looking at the speedo thinking, "How the hell did I manage to average 15.5mph at Outlaw?"

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MC - great run!

Steady - fab riding!

Dustboy - great ride! You must be near by me.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Yeh, Dustboy to getting a ride in. I was slow due to the hills. The route was good, but the club reckon it was a flatish course not a hilly one..

Dorking, West Humble up to Ranmore, down Crocknorth, along then down Coombe Bottom, Shere to Peaslake. Up to Holmbury St Mary, up narrow road past Hurtwood and down the other side, Forest Green, Ockley, across the A24 then Newdigate and back to Dorking. The only problem was that I cycled over to Dorking hoping to do a slightly shorter route, I then had to ride home which was the long flat way as I just could not face any more hills.

Mikasa, DB is fairly near you and can recommend his flat Mytchett loop if that was the one I did with him and a few others a while back.

• DB - good to hear you are getting back to it

steady - well done

• Well done Mrs D, what time did you do?

DB, nice to see your getting back to it.

Well done everyone else who was out there today, I managed a bit of gardening image

• Good route Steady, Ranmore is the peach there but the Holmbury climb will feature in "Siggy's Pennance", the ride I will sort as soon as I am able to ride it. And if you are calling the Mytchett loop flat, you must be getting a lot better. The slog from the bottom of Crocknorth to the top of Combe is not to be sniffed at either, especially with Holmbury to follow!

Mikasa, feel free to hop on a ride. Now that I can do the Mytchett Loop, I am hoping to repeat it again soon. It's only about 12 miles starting at Pirbright Green.

• I hate early morning gym...not feeling it today.  I tried a super fast 5k, but only did a superfast 3k.

I'll go back at lunch for some cycling... I'll miss not having a gym in the office.

• Thanks guys... Managed a 2:28:28. Chuffed as the course was tough. Plus, am slightly porky at present. 

Digger ground out a 2:06 which is pretty good huh!

EP - you're getting out there. That's what matters! 

Nice to see you're getting back to it DB! Sounds like the knees holding up Maths. Now we just need Mikasa to get herself sorted image

Sounds like a good pootle out Steady. Seriously need to get out on the bike.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Great stuff MrsD!

I feel a lot porky at present. image

Hip flexor is getting better but not quite there. I'm gonna go for a little gym bike cycle after work and see how it feels after that. Deep tissue massage booked for Thursday and I think I really need it. When I went to cheer Fleet hm runners, I only walked about 6 miles but gluteus was very, very tight afterwards. I'm such a tight arse! imageimage

• Nice one MrsD - I thought of you as I tried to avoid Longleat on my way down to Calshot - turns out track cycling is pretty epic in the fun department.

Can't wait to get back on the boards, I had to refrain from going WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE every time I went round/up/down the banking.

Done a fair bit of cycling and swimming over the past few days.  Turbo and weights this evening.  Really should start running. . . . . . . . maybe.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Eco - sounds like good fun.

Well, even if I get better, I won't be doing the local sprint tri as it's full now...image Just feel like all my plans are falling apart and not sure what my next step is. After getting better that is.image

• Come up for the little piglet Mikasa image 18th of May!

• Take it easy Mikasa, make sure you are all healed up and back to strength.

Me and Lumpty will be at the Piglet, with barbeque image, were still deciding between doing the Boar or Weymouth half in September, it comes down to cost, if we can afford a few days down at Weymouth, if not its back to the Boar, either way well be racing or supporting at the Boar

Are you guys doing the East Leake one?

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

JP - I will do. I think I'll concentrate on bike and swimming and gym work for a bit. I will run when I get the go ahead but not that much. Running is the one thing that really gets affected with extra weight and I think that might be part of my problem. So will try to shed some pounds before doing longer distances again. And I'm sure you can never work too much on the bike!

ButterCup - I think for a sprint it'll be a tad too far but will think about it.

• mikasa - concentrate on getting sorted, and remember you can do tri without running - lots of people walk the run bit and you can train yourself to walk pretty quickly. I didn't run much at all last year with my knee issues but still did a fair few sprints, and walked a half marathon cos I didn't want to waste the entry fee!

• Yup JP I am image Pixie is too!

• er..I went to the pool tonight. I think my poolmate must be playing up.  30 lengths, 19 minutes.  That's 5 minutes faster than ever before.  Still last out of the pool looking at last years times, but getting closer.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I did my swim this morning, felt tired afterwards. Then Pilates this evening which was even harder work.

Tomorrow I will try a little run/walk.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

15 min cycle on gym bike just to check if it aggravates hip or not, seems to be fine. Might go and do half an hour tonight (little baby steps). Deep tissue massage booked for tomorrow, looking forward to see if it helps. And any other info I can get from physio.

• Urggh dont like tapering apparently Im an all or nothing kinda girl image going to bike home tonight (30k) on my beastie bike - hopefully the wind is going in the right direction as it was fairly windy this morning!

Pixie I was talking about East Leake - you did say you were doing that didn't you?

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I went out and tried a little run/walk, the first time since the disaster of the HM. Back to basics doing 1 minute of each, niggle started after 3rd run but did not worsen so carried on. 3.33 miles done, stretched and feeling more positive now than before the session.

I will use the foam roller tonight as well and a little bit more stretching.

• well done steady

didn't get up early enough for a run this morning and this evening was messed up a bit but managed to get a turbo session in and some gym work as I had to take the kids swimming

• quick brick session in the gym 20 minutes cycle 10 minutes running...that garmin group has kicked me in the butt...and taught me how to use connect better!