Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Rather tired, it's been quite a week so far. I was brave and went Aqua Jogging yesterday, not as boring as Turbo but a lot more socially embarrassing although I think I managed to stay out of most peoples way. Very odd though and no idea if I was doing it right. This weeks 1500m swim TT was a lot slower than last weeks.

• Taper small one taper! It'll be worth it! Good luck at the weekend guysimage

Hope you're feeling better Mikasa, massage will certainly help! Seems peoples niggles working themselves out. Let us know how you're doing Razor. 

I have not done anything since Sunday. Making sure the ankle is ok before The Forest on 30th. Will pootle out tomorrow for a run. Well, work beckons.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

ButterCup - just don't do too much and save your energy for the HM!

Steady - well done, take it easy getting back into it.

Pete - image. I like having new connections on Garmin Connect. 

AliBear - don't worry about it, no one thinks you look silly. There's been a guy couple of times aqua jogging in our pool when I've been swimming and all I've thought is: "he must be injured".

Deep tissue massage after work today. Hip feels much better and not bothering me when walking but it's still not quite right as when I try to hop on it, it still feels not right.

EDIT: thanks MrsD, been trying to write this post for about half an hour as work keeps interfering.image

• I think the Garmin group is going to kick me into gear to keep up the training, nice to have new connections image

Hope the massage helps to ease things Mikasa.

*yawn* sleepy after my swim.

• afternoon

buttercup - taper if you are treating it as a race, I am treating it more as a training run so I am not tapering

5 mile run this morning and swimsmooth session tonight. 

• anyone else doing the swimmathon this weekend? I am starting to think that a Friday evening wasn't a great time to be trying to swim 5k but I will do it!!

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Good luck with your 5k swim MC.

I have a spin session tonight, then tomorrow will be another run/walk. Not sure of distance yet, it should be the LSR as out FiL visiting on Saturday. Thinking about doing a 6 miler but walk the first 2, run/walk the middle 2, then walk the last 2, just so that I do not over do it on my return to running.

• 5k's thats nothing - you're awesome MC!  No run tonight as it was pouring outside and I got soaked coming home.  The universe was not helping me out tonight!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MC - good luck with your swimathon!

Steady - I think you're wise to come back slowly.

ButterCup - rubbish weather this evening, raining here too.

The massage did some good but I think she could've been harder. My sister does trigger point therapy and when she uses her elbows, you're crying in pain! However, generally recovery is coming along nicely but I am not allowed to run before I can hop on my injured leg without pain or discomfort. I'm also very quad dominant and have weak glutes. I need to re-balance this situation by thinking about my glutes when I'm going up stairs, walking etc. She gave me some strengthening exercises to do and carry on with stretches. I'm allowed to cycle but have to concentrate on pushing from my glutes. She does not recommend I do any lunges or quads yet but we'll work up to that. Will see her once more in two weeks time when I've had time to put the exercises in practice. She also said to bring my trainers so she can have a look at my running technique.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Mikasa, sounds like good advice.

Spin was hard work and half way through my right knee started hurting so I backed off the effort.

• Mikasa, don't try to do too much...you've got to give your body time to heal.

I managed to poison me and the wife with some shop bought pasties.  It's a novel way of loosing weight...no exercise for me until sunday when I hope to have recovered, rehydrated and caught up on last nights missed sleep.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Pete - Hope you feel better soon.

And no worries, I'm going to be a good girl now. Physio recommended 2-3 times a week cycle/x-trainer/gym work. I can't run even if I wanted to as it's not comfortable so not doing that before I can hop.

MTB weekend arranged for Easter weekend now so hopefully back to some kind of biking fitness by then, not that I'm going to do the 4 days. There's always walking. image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Steady/anyone else - when you go to a spin session, do you wear your garmin?

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Mikasa, I wear my garmin and HRM just to get an idea of how hard I have worked, as it does not give me distance or cadence.

• pete - yuck, hope you feel better soon

my knee was hurting when I was swimming last night image and I have the swimmathon tonight

hope it is ok for Sunday

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

I accidentally washed my entire HRM strap last night, however realised my mistake took the electronic bit off and put it in the airing cupboard over night. Still not working this morning so took it apart at work, didn't seem damp but left it apart to air and have just tried it and it's back working! Phew that's £40 ish saved.

Did wonder though, since you can wear them in the swim they should survive a wash? Although I admit 3hrs at 40 degrees with detergent is a bit different to a 15 degree muddy lake for 2hrs max!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MC - hope you knee will be ok tonight and for the weekend.

AliBear - good work on drying it out. 

Can't wait to get home from work.

• Ali - phew! Didn't know you could wear hrm for swimming? which one have you got?

I am home - left school on the bell so I could have a snack in plenty of time before the swimmathon

I will be gutted if my knee plays up and stops me from doing Loughborough with buttercup, supercaz and reddogchris! 

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Maths they don't work when you are swimming but you can wear them so you don't have to faff around in T1 putting them on.

• There are HRM/watch combos that work when swimming, but they're dedicated swimming ones. ANT HRMs don't work when swimming because the transmission range in water is tiny.

Just in from work having a quick brew and snack before heading out for a run. Going to aim for 4 miles as I've been covering 3 miles regularly with no problems.

• No no sore knees allowed MC! Booo! PS hope the swimathon goes well image Had a really good ride to work this morning - appears my mojo may be popping it's head up again image

• 4 miles done. First time running with music for a while, and found it tricky to get into a nice pace. After running without for a month or so, it seems the music is more of a distraction than a help

• TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

Durham, I can't run with music any more either, try switching to podcasts, I've found that concentrating on that helps me maintain a pace without thinking

• Ali/DB - that makes sense with the hrm, though I thought mine wasn't supposed to be in water, not that I have read the instruction booklet though

swimmathon done, and I had a bit of a bad moment about 170+ lengths in when I got awful cramp in both calves and thought I might not be able to finish, I did a few lengths breast stroke which was incredibly painful (in terms of the cramp) but did make it possible to carry on - I just made sure not to push hard off the wall as I think that was part of the problem. There was also a really slow woman in the same lane - breast stroke with her head out of the water, and she didn't stop to let the rest of us pass at the ends of the lane grrrrr - so we had to keep overtaking. However, 9 minutes quicker than last time image Took some bloody-mindedness to carry on and finish. The medal is rubbish though

good thing was my knee was ok while I was swimming - thinking if I rest tomorrow I should be ok for Sunday. If I have to walk bit chunks so be it (even though the organisers seem not to want walkers!)

• Yayayay good job on the mental toughness MC!! I think the organisers meant it wasn't for peeps to walk the whole thing from start to finish (I hope) - when are you picking up your bib?

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Well done MC, great mental strength.

I ache, have stretched and rollered, so will rest tomorrow.

• buttercup - Sunday morning, aiming to try to get there fairly early to get it. Well, I'll see how my knee is, going to run/walk anyway, so if it gets painful can always do much more walking than planned

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    MC - get job toughing it out. Hope your knee will be good on Sunday.

Right hip has been sore all day but just noticed there's a little area that's swollen, probably from the message. Hopefully it'll settle down tomorrow.

Scrap that description, the sore but is at the very top of my thigh.
  • Good Luck tomorrow peeps! Give it LARGE!!!!