Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• mikasa - hope your hip/thigh is ok

think I should roller....

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Yes, good luck for everyone tomorrow!!
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Oh Pixie, hope it's not pt. But we'll done on the run.
  • afternoon everyone

had a great morning with buttercup, supercaz and reddogchris at the Loughborough Half marathon, we all finished before the hail, I did 2:45 (garmin time - no idea of chip time or gun time) - the others were all quicker than me

right hip sore now so better stretch etc

• Tired now image 2:17 for me 11 mins faster than Royal Parks HM which was flat which either means my pacing was good or I got a bit faster image probably the pacing.  Got home before the hail FTW!!

• Woop woop, go on guys! Most proud image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Great work ladies!!! Congrats to all. 

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Well done all those that did the HM.

I had an amazing ride with the cycle club, pretty route, not too hilly, they waited for me at junctions. I really enjoyed it until the hail which came down about 10 minutes from the end. After finishing and going in the café for a drink and cake, I called for a lift home rather than cycling back as I got cold and cramp set in.

Tired now, but must do the washing up, stretch and go to bed.

• Well done steady 

• Good morning all image

Congrats to those who did the half-marathon thing over the weekend and well done Steady - hail apart, the bike ride sounds really good. 

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Dawn shadow it was a good route and would be happy to take anyone out to ride it again as the roads were quiet and even found some good road surface for a change.

• Nice work Steady. I feel hail may always bring a downer image

6 miles run done yesterday. Feels strange having not done anything quite this back to back. Have rested well and doing the taper I did previously. After Sunday back on the bike and get some blooming swimming done! 

• Good morning all image

Well done those who did the half marathons over the weekend, nice work too Steady

I did the 5k swimathon with Lumpty, we were among the last out of the pool, it was a lot of fun and a great atmosphere, a lot like an open water tri, lots of bumping and pushing and a bit of leg grabbing, all in fun.

My trainings back on schedule after a wobbly couple of weeks, it helps when the sun makes an appearance image

• Hi Everyone

Running with the Kenyans is on today's Kindle Daily Deal. Excellent reading.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

JP - well done on the swimathon!

Chili - thanks for heads up, haven't read that one yet.

Was supposed to go straight to gym after work but I let CBA take hold. I do have a lot of studying to do as well but I could use that excuse for anything...

• New to this thread, embarking in the world of tri in a few weeks. Gonna start training for my first triathlon in July. It's at Olympic distance.

looking forward to it but really nervous at the same time!

Am I in the right place for tips etc??

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Hello Rich, just ask questions and we will answer them or try to.

I am enjoying my rest day which also coincides with a CBA day and bit of a wibble day.

• Hi all, new to this thread also. Did my first sprint tri september last year, doing two more sprints and an Olympic distance this year. 

currently training for Sheffield half on 6th April. will probably ask stupid questions you've been asked a thousand times before so please be kind image

• Morning everyone , just got back fromy run , recovering very slowly from an achilles injury but very pleased with 10 miles in 1hr 21 mins . Achilles feels a little tender but its definitely improving. 

Well done Evil pixie on your morning run , its hard getting back into running when you've had a layoff for whatever reason isn't it image

• Hey Rich26 and Manimal70,

got up and went to the gym, gentle 6K and swimming tonight, although it'll probably be more of my single handed attempts to drink the pool dry.

Well done to everyone who ran/swam at the weekend.  It gave me the urge to get off my butt and register for april's triathlon rather than look at it and then it gets full up like I did last year.

On sunday I went out early on my bike for some hill work, but it was so cold and windy I had to pedal on the downhill bits too.  That's not fair!  And then my garmin died so I don't even know how slow I was going!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Hi Rich and Manimal! Ask away, there's no such thing as a stupid question.

Question: Is it usual for cycle clubs to consider a beginner as someone who can do 2.5-3hrs at 13mph? I shan't be joining quite yet... Is anyone here a member of a cycling club? Steady?

• Mikasa, the better clubs often have a 'beginners' session that is much easier paced, less distance, and with a nice long cake stop!

Mine (Fenland Clarion) does a weekend sunday 10:00am start, and then rides about 15 or so miles at about 12mph....  and always at the pace of the slowest rider... no one ever gets left behind!..... perfect for when my kids want to join in.

I bet you'd find similar in a nearby club to yourself.

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

This is my local club which is the beginner's/novice section details. They do stop for cake in the middle so I guess that makes it easier and to be honest it could be they go a bit slower as on the social ride for speed it says 'slowish'. But what's slow for one might not be for another.

Just looking at clubs as bit slow at work today.

• mathschick wrote (see)

Ali/DB - that makes sense with the hrm, though I thought mine wasn't supposed to be in water, not that I have read the instruction booklet though  www.d2ride.co.uk

swimmathon done, and I had a bit of a bad moment about 170+ lengths in when I got awful cramp in both calves and thought I might not be able to finish, I did a few lengths breast stroke which was incredibly painful (in terms of the cramp) but did make it possible to carry on - I just made sure not to push hard off the wall as I think that was part of the problem. There was also a really slow woman in the same lane - breast stroke with her head out of the water, and she didn't stop to let the rest of us pass at the ends of the lane grrrrr - so we had to keep overtaking. However, 9 minutes quicker than last time image Took some bloody-mindedness to carry on and finish. The medal is rubbish though

good thing was my knee was ok while I was swimming - thinking if I rest tomorrow I should be ok for Sunday. If I have to walk bit chunks so be it (even though the organisers seem not to want walkers!)

170 lengths, good grief imageimage