Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• You could come up and support for the Outlaw in July so you could get a feel for it? Or in June for the half which I marshalled at last year I enjoyed that a lot image yelled for a lot of Pirates on the run!

• afternoon all image

up and out early and 20 miles run/walked - a lot of walking but it is done and that is the last long one before Llanelli in 2 weeks. think I am carrying a lot of fatigue - general tiredness as well as physical from the training. 

I need to do my entry for the piglet too....

mikasa - don't think there is a 'requirement' to do an IM - although this gets hotly debated I think - the opinion that to be a pirate you HAVE to do IM seems to only be held by one person

I don't normally wear my pirate kit at running events mainly because I don't want to put pins in it! 

• mikasa - buttercup, MrsD and I all supported at the full outlaw last year and it was brilliant fun. If you do the pirate feedstation you get a free swim the day before image and loads of fun, and get to see what it is like

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I am looking at possibly IM Austria if successful at HIM or Outlaw full.
    I failed at the Outlaw half last year so am determined to crack it this year. The support is amazing from the others, I first wore the yellow and black to do relay Outlaw, stopped at one point in pain from my back and nicked some of Cake's pint of beer for medicinal purposes.

• I am more towards the Outlaw than any other IM, mainly for practical reasons: close to home (bike route almost goes by my door), don't want the hassle of going abroad for a race - I have a family in tow and it would be a pain, also if I had to drop out I would be gutted about the wasted money! And the pirate support is excellent

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

MC, that is why I am tempted to do Outlaw but a branded IM would be the absolute icing on the cake. I need to check whichever one I do is one with a 17 hour cut off not 15 or 16 hours.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Soooo, I guess you'd need to get your entry in for next year's Outlaw just after this year's finish?

And when are you peeps signing up to Wild Boar?

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Mikasa you really need to get on the email listing for notification of when race entry opens, it sells out so fast now.

I am not entering any more events at the moment, FiL is being a wonderful stubborn old man but he is getting frailer than ever, so need to keep weekends as free as possible.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Hopefully everyone racing had/is having a great time. Can't wait to hear your race reports.

Morning spin for me before breakfast.

Oh, that's good news about Outlaw entries, I can save my pennies until autumn and that'll give me time to build fitness as well. Same for Boar as well really. It's is my aim to do it now but will have to sort the swim bit first and get a lot of biking done. Seeing physio on Thursday so will ask if it's ok to start learning fc.

The initial hip flexor strain has cleared but there's something still not right deeper down. Cycling is fine but yesterday when I did 30min x-trainer after it got bit 'tired'. Tomorrow will try to do just x-trainer so I have data ready for physio. 

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Mikasa, you may find that you need to do loads of core work so the hip flexor does not get overloaded work wise. Also you may find piriformis is tight as a result of the hip flexor not being 100%, they all interact so much.

I have been out for a little pootle on the bike, did a little rolling loop from home and managed an amazing 13.2mph for over 15 miles. image)

• 1.37 for me image off to the pub for lunch bb later image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Brilliant times ladies! Can't wait to hear more about it.

Not sure what happened but after reporting here and eating and sitting down to watch the rest of F1, I got really tired and had a 2 hour snooze...

• The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

I'm dead but pleased!
    Some how managed 1:55!! woo hoo - now need a bath!

will report back laters

SuckitupButterCup wrote (see)

1.37 for me image off to the pub for lunch bb later image

Well done ladies great effort image

• well done on the tri buttercup and EP

steady - well done on the bike, you are going to beat that outlaw half cut off!!

• oh, EP - missed your report, great report and massive well done image 

wouldn't have thought the out of date drink would do much harm to be honest, there is nothing in those drinks that go off...

• Top work girlies. Flyer to start the season image  Smashing report EP!

I have run, up and down many hills - again!!!!! image However, I have knocked 6mins off the Longleat time image! It was hard graft today, I'm very much feeling it. But have a week off work now - get in!!!!!!!! 

Maths - top run/walk. 20 miles seems massive!

Cant beat an afternoon snooze Mikasa image

• wow, MrsD well done!

yeah, 20 miles is a long way...... it took me forever!

• Awesome work Mrs D!! 

• Getting race reports again is total cool.  Well done ladies top work.

• Well today started bright and early - it was still dark!! Ran round making sure I had everything - mild panic when I couldn't find my race belt.  Poor husband was not terribly awake! 

Got to East Leake - got registered and set up - good nibbles in the goody bag - gave them to husband cause they were not GF but they were gels! image Found Pixie she thought i might not recognise her - she was right her camo colours were hard for me to spot her!

The pool was a bit small but it is a village swimming pool - the water was a bit salty which was a bit odd.  I managed to over take 3 peeps in my lane it slowed me down a little but I finished in 10.05 so not too bad.  The run from the pool to T1 was about 250 metres and it was rather chilly! I spent a bit of time getting layers on and making sure the feet were dry (almost six mins! didn't realise it was so long - need to sort that out!).

I headed out towards Gotham and I passed about 3 peeps in short order then - no one for ages - it was still a bit chilly as the fog was hanging about - until about two thirds of the ride I was on my own.  I passed some more peeps and then was duly passed by a chick who just floored it - I kept on going and focusing on the next person to try and catch.  About 1.5k from transition one of the women in the swim wave behind caught up with me and passed me but I decided I didn't want to be dropped by a lovely lady in her late 50's! Bike moving time of 49ish mins.  So I hung on until we got onto transition and then took off to catch her on the run.

I thought if I could do under a six minute km for each km that would be awesome but today wasn't that day the first and last were - the ones in the middle I slacked off a little.  I had a sprint finish with a tall guy and I won! image Finished the run in 29 mins not a PB but the undulation on the run was not particularly nice. Total time of 1.37 PB!

When I finished I opened the bag of lollies and waited for Pixie to come through - a bit of Piratey supporting later Pixie sandbagged her way home.  Good day at the office image

• well done buttercup

I like those salty pools!! The chemicals in them don't cause an allergic reaction in me like the unsalty pools do!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Fab race reports EP and ButterCup! Well done to both of you!

MrsD - well done on your PB too, good work!

MC - wow, 20miler...all ready for mara now.

Bf got a wedding invitation to Scotland yesterday for the weekend before the Boar. As it's so far, we're thinking about making a holiday out of it but it is bit awkward as the wedding's on Sunday. So would have to day the Monday after the wedding off too and then Monday off after Boar, don't think I want to do anything the day after. Does that seem sensible. And two weeks out would be taper time anyway and we'd probably do some walking and mountain biking whilst there?

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Great race reports.

Mikasa, I watched a bit of F1 then had a sleep.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

EP - If I can get the swim sorted and get more biking done, I think it's a possibility. And all of you have inspired me that it is possible to do (and without time limits = key).