Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

Wise words Mrs Digger! I was coming in to say what fab race reports! (and some scary speediness!)

I'm having (another) day off, after coming a bit of a cropper on my bike on Saturday! Luckily on a cycle path and wearing a helmet, but still feeling rather bruised and tender ...

Good luck in Clitheroe Scouse Elvis (I'm in Wirral!)

• Naw bless Manimal that was very nicely put - Do you hear that PIXIE? Right now for world peace Manimal….

• pippi - hope you and the bike are ok

EP - hope you are still here and reading everything that everyone says!!

I also need to eat less cake.....

• Mmmm cake - nom.  Biked home the whole way on the beastie bike 1.30 image I think I was helped by there not being as many cars between the uni and beeston - also no driving rain, wind or hail!! A few drops but nothing major - swimming tomorrow morning and then run tomorrow night - back on track!

Pippi I have the best bruises on my knee at the moment from my spill on Thursday! Am such a numpty - it was a little achy last night but seems to have resolved itself!

I have the feeling I want to do the Autumn East Leake Tri MC - hopefully you will be available for the outing!

• Well said Manimal, 

EP, in 2010 I went on holiday to Australia and thought I looked pretty fit until I saw my photo's when I got back so I promised myself  that if I was going start doing triathlon in 2011 I was going to work at it to get myself in shape, don't get me wrong I wasn't a lard arse I was only carrying about half a stone but I still needed to lose it to do myself justice in triathlon, I set myself a goal to get under 1hr 30 in my first tri. I hit the gym 3 times a week, I ran 3 times a week and got on a road bike for the first time in 30 odd years and really put the effort in. I completed my first tri in1hr 21 and got a pb on the run of 26 mins, I did all this because I wanted it.

What I am saying is ,I know you want to beat your demons at Outlaw so use this to spur yourself on and like Manimal says don't beat yourself up about it. You are out there doing it, there are a hell of a lot of people sat on their arses watching telly doing nowt, so pick yourself up and crack on, set yourself a goal, be it outlaw or the wild boar, you know we are all here rooting for you.image

• buttercup - when is the autumn one?

• End of September from memory MC. 28th I think image

• Razor, my first tri time was 1hr 21 too and I'd set myself the 1.30 target

Planning on making next years outlaw my first time "going long" it'll be nice to put a face to some of the names from this forum and also witness EP lay those outlaw demons to rest image

• mrs digger, I had three years off running and thought I'd never get back to it, started cycling last year and thought I'd run a little, then I found out the pool near work opens at 630 so thought, what the hell enter a triathlon! The swimming has definitely helped make me a stronger runner, albeit a slow one.

hopefully a positive race report next weekend and then I'm looking to maybe do Southport Olympic distance in June.

• Hey EP, we've all been there.  We're your support crew.  We aren't going to laugh at you because you don't have a 6 pack.  Most of us feel the same way you do at some point.  Last year I did my hardest race 13 mile hill run followed by 30 mile hill ride.  I was nearly last in the run and I was definitely last in the cycle.  But I didn't care.  Until I saw a photo of me running.  oh. my. god.  What did I look like?!  All the good feelings disappeared.  It took me a couple of weeks to get over the fact that I look like a deranged chicken when I run (don't ask), but I did get over it.  You will too.  You've just done a triathlon.  How many folk at your work/social life can say that?

• Manimal, Get yourself on the feedstation for Outlaw there will be lots of us there supporting image
  • manimal When put above I'd get yourself down at outlaw this year if you can. It's a good laugh and you will learn a lot from watching other people make the mistakes. I'm doing a relay this year and then going to sit on the loneliest bit of the run course with a crate of lager and donut's hecking folks it's fun.

EP I hate seeing myself in pictures as well. image But less of the self defication or we can set Meldy on you. image

• Lol I saw the video hubby took of me in the running - turns out I wobble a lot and run like a girl image but I also smile a lot too!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Your running seemed fine to me. And smiling is always good. image

• In the one hubby took i took my buff and visor off, cause i was getting hot and it wasn't that sunny, giving it to him to hold, and you hear in the background from the announcer - "...and here comes a Pirate stripping off!" image

• Great Racing and Training going on Pirates, the nice weather is here too.

Is that a new tradition now ButterCup, Pop your clothes off on the finish line ? image

Just had a phot shoot for 220 mag, I might have my ugly mug in it next month, hope it doesn't affect sales image

• Ewww what for? I will keep an eye for a dodgey looking Pirate image you are in Pirate kit?

• Cracking race reports everyone and a massive ((((hug)))) for EP.

Swam in a lovely heated outdoor pool on sunday - made me feel very exotic.

First session on the rollers this lunchtime, bit sketchy to start with but managed to do 20mins without falling off/holding on - takes a great deal of concentration! 

• No, its a follow up on my letter about training around a non 9-5 job thing, I had to be in work clothes but tri kit in the background, I tried to sneak the Pirate buff in but he only wanted builder type stuff about, Im basically pretending to work(nothing new there) with my bike in the background, Given the date, I was expecting Ant and Dec in disguise, there was a bit of beard pulling but it appeared to be above board, its normal for a photographer to insist on working nude, right?

• Bwhahahah image righto will look out for it image

•  

Razor51 wrote (see)

Manimal, Get yourself on the feedstation for Outlaw there will be lots of us there supporting image

Cake wrote (see)

manimal When put above I'd get yourself down at outlaw this year if you can. It's a good laugh and you will learn a lot from watching other people make the mistakes. I'm doing a relay this year and then going to sit on the loneliest bit of the run course with a crate of lager and donut's hecking folks it's fun.

EP I hate seeing myself in pictures as well. image But less of the self defication or we can set Meldy on you. image

If I am free I might just do that . Lager and doughnuts sounds like my idea of funimage

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Why are all spin classes so different?? New lady today though the only reason I went was I thought it was the other lady taking it. Anyway, warm up...first 100rpm, then 110,115,120! No thanks. Just did my own thing all the way through as hip not getting better at all! image

• Mamimal being a donny lad I'm bring some henderson's relish with me for your pie and chips if it swings if for you. Also if you volunteer for feed station's you get free entry for the swimming races there the day before if you fancy it. Afraid the medel from them last year was a bit sh*te if that's inportant but they are a good little race to cut your teeth for open water. linky

Mikasa thats the irritating thing some spin's are brilliant while other class's are more about just turning up. Stick with it through it all add's up for your training.

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Hello all, it's sounding good on here again, everyone out an about competing and the aches and pains starting to mend.

Did my first ever hill repeats session on the bike this morning and oddly enjoyed it, although I think that may due to the shortness of the hill and only having to repeat it 4 times. Somehow I doubt I'll be so enamoured with it in a few weeks time image

ITB has survived up to 20 x 1 min run/walk session so now to introduce 2 mins run times, this could be interesting.

I'm also now entered into the mojito tri up at Peterborough on May 11th, I feel the swim is going to be a tad refreshing! T1 could be a new record for me as I layer up to try and thaw out.

• evening all

mikasa - yeah, I have found different spin instructors are very different. Pain about your hip. Could weak glutes be the problem?

Well, I went to physio today because I have been getting a bit of pain in my right hip sometimes - I had already guessed that glutes were the problem as the pain would come on towards the end of a long or hard run, and at Loughborough I could feel my glutes tiring then my hip hurting. She found the bit that hurt, and boy was it painful when she worked on it, so feeling a bit bruisy so not doing anything tonight (apart from watching telly and sleeping)

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Maths - yes, weak glutes are part of the problem (I believe another part is more weight to carry atm since last HM and obviously was gradually running longer distances). I've done the two exercises physio gave me, bridge and clams but it hasn't improved in the last two weeks. She didn't think I'd cope with lunges and squat at that time as there is still something tight inside and she was correct. Tried couple of times doing little squat on one leg and something is not happy. Seeing her tomorrow after work so hopefully she can come up with something to help.

• Cake wrote (see)

Mamimal being a donny lad I'm bring some henderson's relish with me for your pie and chips if it swings if for you. Also if you volunteer for feed station's you get free entry for the swimming races there the day before if you fancy it. Afraid the medel from them last year was a bit sh*te if that's inportant but they are a good little race to cut your teeth for open water. linky

Pie and chips !!!!! I'm a finely honed athlete I will have you know.........

A big dirty kebab dripping with chili sauce is the food of champions image

• Dirty big kebab is about 1800 calories in one sitting image IM food that is!

• SuckitupButterCup wrote (see)

Dirty big kebab is about 1800 calories in one sitting image IM food that is!

I rest my case image

• oooh, I'm not having a good week. I missed swimming because my exit interview went on too long on tuesday, last night I was stressed about my final day today that I didn't sleep too well.  And I stupidly started a plank/crunches/lunges challenge last night and now my legs ache so no running tonight.

on the plus side, my workmates clubbed together to get me a fancy garmin bike computer...