Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• well done Elvis!! 

pete - I have managed to sort brakes in the past and I am pretty rubbish, hope you have sorted it

• well, I thought I'd sorted it.  The central spindal bit was too tight and it wasn't letting the calipers release properly.  It was working fine and I took the bike out for a quick spin and it was fine, but as I went up the hill to our house, I noticed it was catching again.  But it was raining and nearly dark so I put it in the barn and I'll have another look at the weekend.

• Morning everyone and I hope you can help.  I have signed up for my first ever tri in July and stated training in February and I am having a serious wobble at the moment.  I am also signed up for a half marathon in September.

Currently I swim twice a week, doing a drill session and a long session.  I run 4 to 5 times a week with a long run (up to 10k) on a Sunday.  It is the cycling I am worried about.   I have been using a exercise bike once a week and spinning once a week.  I plan to start going out on my road bike this weekend.  Is this enough? Am I missing something or would you recommend I change something?

Also is there any other newbies that would be up for regular emails as no one else I know is doing a tri.

Thank you.

• What distance are you doing DD? 

Good Luck Pete... What news?

Elvis - they do say the secret of tri is run a bit, swim a bit, bike A LOT! Well done on your first. Let the addiction begin! 

EP - new bike! New bike! New bike!

Congrats Mr Cake - hope work not getting you down.

Thanks LMH, am browsing through a plan to try and modify. Think general plan is lots of bike. Better get my head down!

How are the injuries peeps?

• MrsD - as long as you're consistent and make yourself do the bit you'd rather miss (for me that's usually the turbo interval or threshold sessions!) you can race a good HIM off training six times a week. If you feel able to double up sometimes see it as a bonus.  Realistically you're looking at a peak of maybe 9 - 10 hours (long run 2 hours, long bike 3- 4 depending on speed and how often you like to do the distance or thereabouts) which is a fair amount of training in anyone's book!

Dilly Dally - you really need some real bike time, the exercise bikes at the gym are nothing like though the spin bikes can be good supplementary/bad weather training. What distance tri are you doing?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Hello Dilly Dally! Agree with Miss Happy, get some outside biking in, it's key! Spin is a good add on but nothing beats proper cycling. image

I'm getting bit worried about the Boar.  I guess hip is getting better but I still can't run nor swim. As off today, I have 5 months to train which is more likely to be 4 months of proper training. Going to get out on the bike this weekend and see how it goes. Easter Weekend we're supposed to off mountain biking but not sure if that'll work for me. image 

Even more worried about the sprint on 1st June. image

• I finished it Mikasa - and tbh I was pretty much walking I was running that slow and I did it in just over 8hrs so your should be good image Will be finishing it quicker this year!

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Mikasa, you have no problem for 1st June but I need to be able to do the run bit at the end of the Outlaw half, swim seems to be coming together and the bike is getting much stronger but the running is almost non existent. I am starting from scratch again and think it may have to be power walk with a few trots to be able to make the cut off.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

welcome Dillydally.

• SteadyCJ wrote (see)

Cake, Crawley is down in Sussex near Gatwick Airport.

image Oh that's near the in law's so you never know.

Elvis nice one mate. image

Pete brakes are a right pain in the bum to be honest I normally take the bike in for a service when it's needed just because I don't trust my own numpiness. image

Dilly as above the bike biking you can get on the road the better. It's not just about the training it's the bike confidence and raod sence stuff even if you drive not biking about a bit can have a knock on effect of how well you do. Depending on the tri or were you are you might be able to get some training buddies and will make a difference. Ever off the threads or your local tri club. Just becareful if any one say's they want to meet you alone instead of with a group as might be a nutter. Err well must of us are nutter's on here just in a good way.image

You might find this useful. linky

• STOP PANICKING EVERYONE

mikasa - you have loads of time for the boar. No cuts there mean no pressure and there will be a lot of us there to cheer you on too. You will be fine for 1st June too. Even if you can't do front crawl, doesn't matter - cake does breast stroke and I did in my first few tris

Dilly Dally - which tri are you doing? Where in the country are you based? As cake says, be careful about swapping email addresses and meeting people off the internet, lots of nutters about and I have met quite a few people off the tri forums - but basically in a group situation (although I may have stopped in the middle of nowhere and given buttercup a lift as the first time we met image)

steady - don't worry about the run section of the outlaw half - remember there is a 4 hour cut off for the run, you could that walk at a fairly leisurely pace, it is more important to get through the bike cut off! (think I need to take account of that piece of advice myself!)

It was my birthday back in December and as I didn't know what I wanted the agreement was that I could get myself a new wetsuit this spring, so now I am the proud owner of a blueseventy reaction wetsuit image just need to get into some cold water in it now image

• had a weird dream last night - I was doing a triathlon on my road bike but it was so muddy and everyone else was on mountain bikes so I was last back to transition, but transition was a tiered seating area full of an 'audience' and I couldn't find my running things...everyone else had finished the run and I still couldn't find my running shoes..... bit early to have these kind of dreams!! My first tri isn't till 18 May!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

New wetsuits, possible new  bikes, it's all getting exciting!

Unfortunately, with the hip injury where it is, breast stroke will be worse for it I think. image

• Day 2 of the Fink Half plan done (day 1 was a rest day but it still counts!). Managed to do my 30 minutes on the treadmill bang in the middle of zone 2 purely by luck (and that's if the 220 minus age formula turns out to be accurate for me). Found a steady pace I was happy with as a steady pace, and checked my HR on the treadmill at regular intervals throughout the 30 minutes. Pretty much always 153bpm, which is in the middle of Fink's zone 2 for me. Really need to get a HRM strap ordered for my Garmin.

Swim done as well, but that was mostly spent dodging retired women walking up and down the swimming lanes.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Good to have you back Pixie. Good luck at the drs.

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Hope you can still hear us Pixie image

Mikasa, you could do breaststroke arms and crawl legs? That works better in a wetsuit than full breast stroke apparently and might be easier on the hip?

Steady I had to restart my run from scratch for the third time since outlaw last year just 4 weeks ago and I'm already back up to 30 mins of run/walk so plenty of time yet and the run cut off is generous and there were lots of walkers last year.

I had a good run on Monday, I can feel my hip but it doesn't hurt so fingers firmly crossed. A new technique seems to finally be forming, I just don't know if its a good one or not! Had a fun swim this morning, fewer than usual lanes so a bit busy but actually starting to feel I might be getting a tad quicker, although Garmin denies all knowledge of this so it could well be all in my head as usual!

I am starting to suffer from being knackered though, had a good lie in Saturday but feel like that was weeks ago already! Also chlorine headaches and coughs are starting to get really bad so in an odd way I'm looking forwards to the lakes opening, but I still remember how flippin cold it is! 

Good luck everyone and keep on keeping on we WILL all get there.

• EP - great news about the bike and good to hear you sounding so positive

invigilating? An exam? mocks? probably means some marking ...I am ignoring all school related things at the moment.

well, need to do some kind of exercise so off to the turbo and might make it a brick if I can get out for a short run when OH gets home from work

• Cake wrote (see)

Manimal very well done for yesterday and hope your foot's ok.image

Razor hows the calf today mate was brilliant to meet you. Promise I'll stick a race report up sorry had the day from hell today work wise.

Where's Crawley?

Cheers cake and well done yourself on the marathon. My foot is a wreck, still swollen and painful to put weight on. If theres no positive change tomorrow I will have to think about a visit to the doc....although it takes so long to get an appointment these days it'll have healed on its own !!

Sadly my foot is a disaster and i

• Manimal I wouldn't worry about the doctor if there is a issue it's going to need a x-ray anyway so I'd cut out the middle man and get yourself down to minor injuries. Cub scouts honour nurse's on the thread who can confirm and all that.

In sheff it's at the hallemshire and know from experiance that if needed they can refer you straight to see a phyio if needed. Just going to e-mail the better half and see if she has any local info for Donny as used to work for the NHS in Barnsley.

• Not had a reply back from sarah yet so she might know something sneaky but this is where I would go mate. http://www.dbh.nhs.uk/our_services/A_and_E_UCC_and_out_of_hours/Who_are_we.aspx

• Sarah's comfirmed the above in case you want to get it checked. You might depending on how it is find this helpful matie. r.i.c.e

• Thanks for the advice and the link cake, appreciated image

I did some digging on t'interweb and I think I've got some soft tissue damage not a stress fracture as I first feared . I only had 5 weeks to train for the half marathon as I already had an issue with my achilles on that side which sort of forced me to up my mileage and think that has been a contributory factor & im guilty of not warming up and stretching properly. I'm going to continue the icing and ibuprofen and hope for an improvement in the morning

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Nah, I said go to the minor injuries unit at the Montagu in Mexborough - you're more likely to be seen quickly (as quick as any minor injuries unit...) image 

If RICE doesn't help and you can't weight bear then it's certainly worth the trip to rule out anything nasty.

Whilst I'm here... the Tour of the National Forest ride - who's doing it? Has anyone done it before? Is it really as 'challenging' as they say?! 

• Manchester race report

Pre-race

Got up nice and early and Sarah very kindly gave me a lift into Manchester. Afraid sat nav sent us the right way but with the road closer’s we had to have a bit of a de-tour running late and then ran out of road sign’s for the parking disaster! imageWas about 8.20 at the point so starting to panic. Got signalled into a car park and changed for the parking. Latter leant it was a con and some scum bags had taken down the parking sign’s so they could make people go to their car park and change them a tenner. Had to abandon Sarah so could leg it to the start line. image Quick kit check and faff put bag in the baggage and sarah managed to find me. Walked with her to the start line.

Race Set off conservatively and spend the first 6 miles chatting to a bloke from same tri club and a few of the 5 hour pack saw Horse, razor, Stanner’s, Tom and Duck and a few other pirates learnt today was nosmonster and blackbelt still not sure who the other one was. Also saw Caz and bruce old mates never have chance to meet these days and a lass spend a few miles with at Abingdon marathon last year. Stopped at 6 miles as a lass was laid down by the side of the road. I think they had dizziness but after a few minutes a marshal turned up so was able to pass the issue over.

Set off again going to fast because wanted to catch back up with the 5 hour group. Next few miles was run walk and enjoying the banter and crowd. Went pretty much past Frodo’s house so was tempted to pop in for a cuppa. Leg’s started to hurt a little at about 19 miles and was walking more than running. Carried on with normal for Norfolk attitude chatting away to various people. Tried to get as many thank you’s and jokes off to the marshal’s as I could best one being asking one of them if I’m still smiling at the end would you might if I went round again. The answer was best described as a question about my mental health.

Got to about 24 miles and spotted a yellow person in the distance. Didn’t think it was a pirate but marked them as if they were for the motivation and was determined to catch them up and say hello. After about half a mile reached them and turned out to be the sex machine that is Razor. Had a chat and held hand for a bit skipping and then decided to leave him so could get the pint’s in, turned last corner and managed a sprint finish. Best bit being the finish line announcer’s telling everyone I like cheese image (old joke from the mundane thread).

Sarah image found me just as I was released back into society with a ice cream in hand even through it was raining. Saw Horse and razor a little after so was able to say hello properly. Post-race Frankie and bennies then back to the shire. All in all a good day out and happy with progress from previous marathons with luck should be back on form soon time wise. image

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Grand report, Cake. I like the idea of an ice cream at the end, if the weather is good, I wonder if the Outlaw will have some and that will motivate me round a bit quicker.

I have done a little run/walk set the watch up for 75 seconds of running and 60 seconds of walking so it felt like I was going quicker for longer if you understand my logic. Did just over 2 miles, the hip was a bit achy by the end but nothing major. I will do some serious stretching after my meal.

• Steady if it will help I will make sure there is a ice cream ready for you after outlaw. image

• ME bookie!! I did the 100 mile last year and there are a few hills - am going to do the 100km this year image they feed and water you well and a quality t shirt that's not white!

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I know you did it Buttercup, you're the one who's implanted this idea in my head! image

I was thinking of the shorter distance. The profile doesn't look too bad, just one lumpy bit I don't like the look of. I'm dithering between that race, a 5K colour run and a sprint tri in rugby. And the other option of having a nice quiet weekend at home. No chance!

I can thoroughly recommend the 'ice-cream at the finish line' method of motivation. I timed it badly at the Boar last year and someone kindly ate the ice cream for me, then we got another for Cake in time for his finish. There's a fine art to finish-line ice cream, and I'm still perfecting it image