Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Pippi LS wrote (see)

mikasa, I sympathise, but you are being impatient if it's only a week and you were told give it 6 weeks! Slowly, gently!

Pippi - I wish it had only been a week. I've been mostly out of action for 7 weeks already and 6 more, possibly, to go!

We were supposed to go for a bike ride yesterday after work but when I got home, bf had agreed with our neighbour that we'd go and play badminton instead. It was nice but I can't really do quick explosive movements at the moment and was bit out with eye-hand co-ordination as it's been awhile. Today my leg aches from hip to upper quad but I think it'll be fine. Tomorrow I want to go for a little mtb ride to see how that'll work for me.

Ooh and all this talk about bikes!
    EP - I'm looking for a bike as well, first roadie for me. I think I'm going to go and do that bike fit thing (retul fit?) before hand so I know what makes fit me and measurements etc. I have just saved  £1k to go on a bike/wetsuit but not sure if I need to spend that much money on a bike or is it good to spend as much as you can?

Not sure why that got formatted like that. image

• with bikes I think the more you spend you tend to get better components, but you don't necessarily need to spend as much as you can. Retul bike fits can be pretty expensive (I think someone near me costs about £185!) I am not convinced it is necessary. A decent bike shop will be able to sort you out without you needing to spend that. With wetsuits, again, you don't necessarily need to spend a lot. With the bike remember you need to budget in for shoes/cleats/pedals, accessories like a track pump, spare inner tubes, bottle holders etc, separately they aren't a great deal but when you are getting them all at the same time as the bike it adds up to about another £100+

• mikasa - if you have a Retul fit you won't want to do that until after you have the bike but what many places will do is charge you around £40 for a size and this will tell you which makes and models will fit you best. They then take the cost of the size off the fit if you go on to have one (hope that makes sense). If you buy a good frame you can always upgrade the components when you have more money, my Dolce was less than £500 and I was quite successful on that for the first couple of years, likewise my first wetsuit was £99. As mathschick says there are also all the extras - and you might want to add a turbo to her list.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I'm sure I had a look at a retul fit for £60, kind of like pre buying a bike thing so you know what type of bikes/geometry you're looking for. 

Not that I can find it now. But it was there, not too far from me.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

That's the budget for just bike and wetsuit, and not going for an expensive wetsuit as will need to lose serious lbs. Turbo will be shared with bf, shoes etc will just come from normal wages, I think I already have pedals on my hybrid so I'll just swap those.

Anyway, on the losing lbs. I've obviously been eating loads this week as usually I'm around 163lbs, today's weigh in, 167lbs!!! image My first big target is to get under 11st.

• Ok, so loads been going on. Sounds like some injuries still hampering - hope they get sorted. Know what it's like to be sidelined! But it's better to make sure fully recovered.

Racing seems to have gone well for those involved - woop woop! More to come image

What do people have planned next couple of months?

i got my little Boardman bike on offer for £600 and my 1st wetsuit for £125. Got bike on cycle to work scheme and wetsuit I trawled on the internet for ages. 

Weighed in. Have lost 2lbs - get in. Love My Fitness Pal! 

• ohh, weigh in day?!  right no food or liquids for me until after I've weighed myself...image

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

imageUrghh I think the cough that I put down the chlorine swimming is in fact the beginning of a cold as now I have a sore throat and a the very beginnings of a blocked up nose. This is not fair it's April!

ITB is ticking along nicely, Physio said resting won't heal it and no you can't stretch it etc but what you can do it gently stress it so you try and remove the knots and get the  muscle fibres to line up as they should. So up to 3 mins running at a time and on last set I can feel it but under 5/10 for pain so all good. I can feel it when I first stand up as well but that is also normal for this stage apparently. So more foam roller on the knots and more walk/runs for me. First brick session of the year planned for tomorrow.

I lost 3lb this week image Makes up for putting on half a pound the previous week. Works party tonight so next week might not be so good.image

• weigh in - I weigh the same as last week but to be expected as I have been eating the same and tapering! So not much exercise. 161 pounds - I have been this weight for ages now!

Ali - sorry to hear you are getting a cold! Hayfever is getting to me a bit image

arghh, getting nervous about Sunday, mainly whether I will beat the cut off, but what will be will be, on training runs I have wasted a lot of time on loo stops - mainly because I have to divert off my run to find a loo etc which won't happen on Sunday. I am hoping there will be the odd portaloo on the course! 

Haven't entered the piglet yet - just need to make sure I don't break myself this weekend first then will enter this week image

MrsD - you asked about plans for the next couple of months?

13 April - Great Welsh Marathon  (eek)

18 May - piglet

1 June - half outlaw

28 June - clumber park half marathon

I have a feeling there should be other stuff in there too, Main objectives are to survive the marathon intact and to beat the bike cutoff on the outlaw half! 

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MC - good luck with the marathon this Sunday! Hope it will go well for you.
    I shall be watching Mo run his, on tv.

Plans, I have no plans!

1/6 - Crondall Super Sprint (maybe)

• Lol funnily enough I believe I have entered most of those too MC image I lost a little bit of weight this week so from 60 ish to 59 ish kgs but that changes on the day period etc now if it went down to 58 I would be impressed and completely surprised since Im not actually doing anything towards that goal at the moment.  I think that little change was inspired by the increase in cycling I have been doing.

26 April - Dare to be Sportive 77m

5 May - Tour of the National forest 100k

18 May - piglet

1 June - half outlaw

28 June - clumber park half marathon

• just written out what my splits will be if I do a 14 min mile pace on Sunday which will just about get me to the finish line to make the cut off (well, a couple of mins over). That is realistic, I may be slightly quicker but it allows for slowing down towards the end, stopping at aid stations etc

better go and pack my stuff!

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I have been fairly stable weight wise, up 1 pound then down, then loose 1 pound put it back on so back to square one really. I have getting to 11st as a first little step then would really like to get back down to 10st if possible but that has not been seen for a very long time.

1 June Outlaw Half

10 Aug Ride London 100

My hip got a strange pain in the night like a cramp but very deep so difficult to stretch. Think I need to get the foam roller back in use again in addition to everything else.

• My legs seem to  have recovered from the Manchester marathon now so hopefully they will hold out on Sunday at the  DIY half IM .I've not swum or biked since September so it should be interesting  image might not do it all I will see how it goes.

DIY half IM

Ribby Hall sprint Tri

• ha ha is there a new garmin coming out? I have held off buying a new one as they are due a new model!

did my first bike ride yesterday! worked out how to use my bike pump after sorting out which adapter to use! was out for 30 mins and followed that up with a 1.5-2 mile run. So stiff it's unreal! marathon legs are still recovering!

• Last nights weigh in was 11.5 st.

I've got turrif sprint next weekend, ming the merciless biathlon in june, local tri in july and inverness marathon in september.   I'll try and stick in some local hill races in the gaps. It'd be nice if there was a half ironman up here that I could do. 

I'm down in shorpshire/n wales at the end of july. I wonder if there is anything down there I could do...while the wife relaxes. 

• Oooo smashing.. Lots of race reports to look forward to. And well done to all those who faced the weigh in on Fri. My next couple of months involves,

May 26th - Cotswold Supersprint. June - Forest of Dean Sprint.  July - Outlaw (marathon).  Aug - Lake Logic Standard. Sept - Wild Boar & Stroud HM.  Think there's a 10k and a sportive in there somewhere? 

Work followed by an hour out on the bike. Misjudged how breezy and now have bright red arms.

• Are you coming out for the Outlaw Half Mrs D? 

And MC the shoes and legs seemed fine today - only problem was the laces came undone while I was running - wasn't happy - might need to get some lace thingees to keep them tied.  I think these will be good fast short race shoes up to 10k I think.

• hi all

long car journey, fractious kids but we are here in Wales, have had a little walk and there is a horrible cold wind, I have a sore throat and I am hoping that I will wake in the morning, my throat will be ok and the wind will not be there. Not sure what to wear with the weather like this but the forecast says the sun will be out tomorrow so thinking maybe t-shirt and arm warmers. I do run past the apartment 4 times so can always text OH to bring something out if I need different garments! I should have brought a base layer but thought that I wouldn't need it.

OH has said I shouldn't do it if my throat is bad, but I'll make that call in the morning. I can always start and pull out if I feel crap (but unlikely to stop once I have started!!)

• Would love to but unlikely to get the weekend off. Really want a Mon - Fri job. Would make life so much easier image

• put on a whopping 9 lbs since sundays race! wet suit wont fit!!! argh!

got my wetsuit in the sale during the winter months, think it's a foor? 

my bike was 500, a giant but had to buy a few extras for it! comp and aero bars spare tubes, pump etc! what a cost this tri is! 

are those co2 pumps the best? should i get one??

Sicknote- still cold for biking! especially into the wind!

• Sending good vibes your way MC!!! Will be thinking about you tomorrow!!

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Fingers crossed for you MC

I went out and did a little ride with 2 club mates, 35 miles through the villages around the Surrey Hills rather than up and down them, mainly on A roads but the traffic was not too bad. I took malt loaf with me to re fuel, will try it again tomorrow. There was only one big hill that I had never tried cycling up and I did it, very slow but conquered none the less, then lots of little lumpy bits. The bluebells were out in the woods and smelt strongly,

I just hope that my legs recover and I can do another ride tomorrow, I got cramp when I got home and drank lots of fluid, but will foam roller later.

• Rich I have no idea about the CO2 pumps - I just have a hand pump.  I am hoping to get some aerobars for my birthday image

What's a foor?

• Foor is a make of wetsuit! Co2 pumps are good, quick and small. Not as expensive as you'd expect. 

Good luck MC. Hope not too windy tomorrow! 

Rich - unfortunately you will want EVERYTHING!!!! 

Steady -bike out sounds nice. Often wish had some company. 

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

I've done a slow and anxious 19 mile ride - I thought I was getting the hang of cleats, but my foot was really hard to get out today. I rolled slowly along easy roads/paths, practising getting in and out, but it was still stuck for what felt like 50% of the time. Did much of the return journey with one foot unclipped!

Also swam a mile last night. Again a slow one, but I'm quite proud of myself!

I've got a Ride It event in 2 weeks - only 38 miles, but that's quite a lot for me!

Then Stratford Sprint Tri 11 May? - my first!

Good luck MC - do you think it's a pre-race throat? I get them!

• pre-race throat? pipppi - hope it is just that, I have tried not to get too close to my teenager this week who has had a bad cold! Thought I had escaped,hope it turns out it is just pre-race throat! So long as I don't feel crappy in the morning I am starting! I have given OH instructions to stand outside with alternative clothing in case I am too cold. I will pass them first at about 8.5 miles so if I am cold then I will definitely need another layer!

steady - sounds like a good ride, if you are stiff in the morning just have a gentle short ride or a short high rpm spin to get your legs moving

pippi - well done on your ride. I mentally still feel anxious about cleats even though I have been using them for 2 years! Mind you, last year I ended up not doing that much cycling. 

• image Mrs D image hehehehe! Well done on the hill Steady! Good Job Pippi - more time in the saddle and you'll be grand image

Rich - Start looking at Wiggle - you will NEEEEED everything in at least one colour variation image todays ogling included googles and kayanos for when Im a millionaire and can get them in every colour possible image