Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Mikasa Cake does a magnificent breast stroke - very fast - faster than my FC image I'm going to try and get to an OW venue next week sometime!  Quiet run to the train station this morning - legs felt like lead the first half then they picked up after a very quick pit stop image going to try for a swim tonight at LB uni pool as they are open at a reasonable hour tonight!

• Aw Mikasa, seems to all be going on for you. Hope everything gets sorted. I have seen Cake's breast stroke in action. In fact, it is what persuaded my OH he could do a triathlon! image

JP - I don't mind the gel business but only seem to like orange or mojito ones. Think it's just finding what you can tolerate.

Hope the weather holds for all over the weekend. Was supposed to swim today but crazy tired this morning. Will doubled up tomorrow.

Weighed in = 2lbs lost woop woop!
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Yeah, almost forgot.

Weighed in = +1.5lbs image

• Mikasa To my shame my crawl is rubbish image and used breast stroke far to much to compensate for it. Used to do a job where it was very useful to breast stroke through and had years of practice at it. If you can learn crawl you will be better for it but I've done Ironman swim's breast stroke and done okish. It just means your legs aren't as rested for the bike after.

Durhambiker wrote (see)

Also looks like the weather is going to be miserable, which seems to be par for the course with the First of the Summer Tri image

Today's rubbish for rain but looks like sunshine and shower's all weekend I'd just expect it to be a little greasy on the roads. It's still going to be fun through.

Good luck image

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Ah it seems like misery loves company and you've all caught my cold/hay fever/chlorine sensitivity. If it is the same thing I highly recommend Beconase, total life and swim session saver image Also sincere apologies I didn't mean to infect the rest of the thread image

My Garmin has a moment this morning so has my swim down as 4100 meters where as it was under 3000 in reality. I must stop punching the lane dividers as I think that's what's confusing it.

Brick session tomorrow, first one of the year, there's nothing like leaving things until the last minute.

Had physio again this week, ITB is improving, slowly but it is improving. I get to run for 10mins , twice tomorrow image

• image Progress is progress no matter how small image

• image Just in case Just swonge it that get a few days off next week already had a few days off to be with Bookie for her birthday. but now got the whole week off relivent because will be down in Birmingham until at least Friday and while Bookie's at w**k goign to get some bike miles in if anyone else local is free in the day time and fansies some mischief.

• evening all

I suffer with chlorine too and use beconase

Ali - good to hear the ITB is improving

Swimming last night was good image
    didn't manage to swim much after it though so didn't get up for a run this morning. Going to run or gym this evening - taking the kids to fun swim so I'll either pop to the gym or go for an outside run depending on the rain. Bit disappointed with the weather forecast as I wanted to get a fair few bike miles in

• Had a good day today ran to train station did a good pace - swam tonight 1.9k in 55 mins image fastest I have managed to do this distance!  Love swimming in 50m pools! Found the swimming mojo - the snickers bar may have helped too.

Am keeping an eye on the weather for tomorrow if it's truly crappy then I will just give the sportive a miss and try the long cycle on Sunday or alternatively there will be a long turbo session.  Biking to the train station, then biking from Oakham to the start line, already potentially soaked, doing the sportive and then going home wet is asking for trouble a bit - so am going to try and be sensibubble!

• JP starring in the latest Triathlon 220... No yella n black to be seen tho image
  • buttercup - yeah, be sensible. I am too, have already decided that tomorrow morning will probably be a long turbo instead of getting outside on the bike. Might not be too bad Sunday morning though

• Aye I saw that Mrs D!! Saw the photographer trying to be a bit arty farty with the bike going up the stairs image apparently they wanted him in builder costume not pirate.

And apparently I would have made a crap maths teacher - 40 lengths of a 50 metre pool is 2k not 1.9!!! Which means the time was even better!

• morning image

rubbish weather and I am wimping out of getting soaked on the bike, so long turbo before swimming club. 

I'll have to have a look at 220....I don't normally get it

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Not raining v here, yet. Cloudy but sun is making an appearance. However, I've just woken up, but without a tooth ache so I'll take it. image

• There is now sunshine however brief - grrrr image

• Well every time I look, the weather forecast for Holmfirth on Sunday improves. At this rate it'll be 40 degrees!

No training today, just an hour or so in the garage checking our bikes over, then load all the gear into the car and head down this afternoon. Got the swim wave times yesterday, and annoyingly we're both in some of the very last waves, so lots of time hanging around before starting. Also means I'll need to get some early overtaking done to avoid that "dear god I'm last!" feeling of having noone behind. Should probably have informed them my swim time is now much better than the 9mins 30seconds the wife put down when she entered us.

• ok, 2 hour sufferfest followed by 1 hour masters swim, and I am ready for a nap!!

forecast looking ok for tomorrow image

• Yup will be heading out around the tour route tomorrow image and possibly a swim in the afters image

• I wasn't sure if going for a run after a 2 hour sufferfest, 1 hour swim and an hour in waitrose was a good idea, but after a slow first mile got into a rhythm and thoroughly enjoyed it, apart from the fact that I had a picked a pair of shorts out of the drawer that turned out to chafe quite badly image Now covered in sudacrem

may chuck them  or save them for gym use only

• Arrived in Holmfirth and getting on with the serious prep work of eating a beef, ale and blue cheese pie and drinking ale. Weather isn't too bad at all, bring on tomorrow!
  • good luck DB! I like the sound of that pie image

• It was an exceptionally good pie. Feel properly fuelled for tomorrow.

Tried a sun dried banana energy bar earlier. Tasted how a pet shop smells. The search for race fuel continues!
  • 2nd surge DB taste good image good luck tomorrow!

• Well done EP at taking the plunge. Gentle nudge is often a help image

Good luck tomorrow DB - give it large! Pie sounds goooood!

Sorry about today Buttercup. Get the miles in tomorrow, hopefully the weather will hold for you!

Hope the cold/flu stricken are feeling better image

Had bike fit today with MrD.., totally worthwhile. My saddle has been raised nearly 4inches. Lots of other small adjustments. Off to South Cerney tomorrow to give it all a go! Tri shop in Bristol is heaven image 

Oo, did Run Faster today. The Chrissie Welliington one - hurt a lot! 

• Wow that's bound to make a difference chook!  Yayayay for good bike fits - spent the day watching zombie movies, cleaning and being grumpy at the weather.  Adjusted the bars a bit and will see how they go tomorrow image

• morning

I have been a bit lazy and just couldn't be bothered basically to get up early enough to get a road bike ride in before taking the kids out on the MTBs. I was awake but just didn't want to get out of bed. I am going to regret this on 1st June. 

I also ache all over because Friday was the first time I had been to the gym for agesimage

anyway - plan now is bike ride with kids, afternoon ferrying kids to music rehearsals (youngest is auditioning for the County training band) and a cafe stop with OH while kids are rehearsing/auditioning and masters swim tonight

I think I should try to find time to plan lessons too image but I am totally fed up with work and just want to tell them to F off basically.....

MrsD - hope the bike fit makes a difference. If you don't feel safe then lower the saddle a bit (saw your fb post but internet was dodgy and wouldn't let me reply) - better to feel safe and lose a bit of efficiency....

• Thanks for the support folks! Waiting for my swim wave at 10:23. Dry but gloomy day, not much wind so should be a good in!
  • Go on DB - give it LARGE!!!!!!!!