Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Eco - will have a look when I get home.

I think I'll be the one who will need friendly kick up the derriere quite often but it's a deal. EP is also doing half Fink so she can join is the mutual kicking. image Are you going for the intermediate plan Eco? I'm doing the same as EP, just finish with extra biking.

Thankfully the finance team (all of 3 people) has an office to themselves and no one else is in this week. 

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I just fell asleep in front of the PC.image I had already had an extra little doze on the train in the morning, think the work was getting a bit repetitive at that point. Lunch helped feed the brain.

I have looked up my results and can confirm that by moving up age group I was 23rd out of 23. The only consolation was that I was 7 places higher than last year and finished well before the last person who took just over 3 hours to do a sprint tri.

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

here goes (my first ever tri - Stratford Sprint)

Friday, filled with dread, slept badly, wondered what on earth I'd ever entered for!

Saturday - better as it was time to pack, make decisions, etc. Horrible weather rain and wind on the drive down ... pessimistic, but hey ho, we can't change it! Nice meal out - Stratford on a Saturday night is a little different to Liverpool. We saw men in jackets and ties!!!

Sunday - up in time for a Premier Inn breakfast, but nothing too greasy. Got to the leisure centre in good time - I hate to be late or in a rush, and it was the logistics of the whole thing that were worrying me, more than the doing! Still, all very straightforward and I got to have a look around at where the men were leaving the pool, moving to and from the bike and run.

Everything was fairly leisurely and obvious and very well managed and marshalled all round.

Swim. I set off (breast stroke) pretty well, then after 3 lengths thought I can't keep up this pace, so slowed down to a more manageable pace.

Swim - 11m 52s (slightly quicker than my estimate of between 12-13 minutes)

T1 - it is so difficult to put on socks and shoes! Next time (!) I'd sit down and take time, and probably be quicker and more efficient. Slipped on a t-shirt and waterproof as it was grey, cool and windy.

T1 - 4:18

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

Bike - set off slowly, being a bit of a novice with cleats and road bike! I knew there were pelican crossings nearby - had to slow for one and stop at the second. Once out of town I speeded up a bit, overtook a few, looking for my friend (though when I did overtake her, I didn't recognise her apparently). Pleasant ride in the coutnryside - some expensive looking property! Busy-ish roads, but mostly considerate drivers. Blustery but not too bad, then we turned to head back into town - and that was the wind!!! Apparently 20 mph. Uphill on a dual carriageway, bit of a slog, in low gear and low mood ... glad to get to the top and head mostly downhill into town. Nice easy route back to the leisure centre. All left hand turns image. but maybe too busy to be described as a pleasant route.

Bike 1h 1m 20s (23k - very pleased with that. Wish the wind had been behind me!)

(to be continued after dinner ....)

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

(replete ...)

T2 - 3:34 - perhaps I shouldn't have a chat with the marshalls ...tricky shoelaces ... walked across to the run, letting my legs settle.

Run - felt hard work, not so much the 'jelly legs' which I was expecting and cleared quite soon, just generally heavy going. I rather liked the course - out and back twice - as I knew where I was and how far was left - 4 short sections rather than one long one!. Second lap I felt I got into a rhythm. Fell in behind someone in a Bicester Tri suit and kept pace and my body remembered what running felt like! Then decided she was too slow and overtook her and another. Had a short walk at the second turn round, then kept plodding on. I huffed and puffed all the way round, so if you heard something like a traction engine, I apologise. Saw a pirate near the start/finish who gave me a Fetchie cheer (thanks, Cake!)

Run - 29m 54s (and if that was really 5K, I'm pretty happy with that too!)

Overall time: 1:50:58

Met Cake and introduced ourselves in the carpark (he was the only Pirate I saw). We had a left-handed handshake (he was obviously in the Brownies too) and he sussed me as a posh Scouser!

I had guesstimated about 2 hours, plus a little for transition and tiredness, but I wasn't doing it for a time, but just for the experience and challenge I suppose. But now I have a pleasing time, I am made up - still grinning about the whole thing. I might even do another one.

Off to look at official photos now ...

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

Clarification - it was the wind that was 20 mph, not me on a bike ...

• Hahahah image lol I thought that was a banging time image well done Pippi! So are you coming to watch the Outlaw Half or the Outlaw then?

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

I'd love to but it's a bit out of the way for me, and I've got a dissertation to write so I daren't commit to anything much for the rest of the year ... though I might do another sprint tri (Cheshire? bit nearer home!), and Conway half was good last time ...

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

BS and pippi - well done and I love the reports image

cake - well done to you too image

EP - being paranoid about traffic isn't a bad thing

eco - well done on your sportive, sorry that you didn't enjoy it that much.

mikasa - it is all about the bike!! Have fun

so, turbo for me this evening

• Physio this afternoon - got cupped and prodded and patched - and an appointment with the podiatrist to see if we can't fix the way my hip tilts image which apparently will help me not reinjure myself image

Good reporting everyone.

• Aaargh lost my post!!

Thanks for the welcomes - will try and take advice and put it into practice. 

Fab reports BeerS and Pippi. Not sure i like bike routes where you stop at crossings though- any quick stops and i am likely to get stuck in pedals and fall over..... How do super doopa swimmers do tumble turns if they have to duck under the rope too? Not me of course, cant stand water up my nose. 

Good luck with hearing test EP, i wouldnt bother going back for an hour after when i could sneak in a swim/ run or bike session! 

buttercup - not sure my physio has cupped me before?!? Hope it sorts things for you! 

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Camlo, do not fret, the tri that I did does not allow tumble turns for safety reasons.

Off to bed now, early start with swimming then annual appraisal at work, eurgh.

• BeerSwiller, try putting some talc in your socks it helps getting them on wet feet.  image

Pippi, Get yourself some elastic laces, stops the faffing trying to tie them with cold fingers image

• Good reporting Pippi and Beerswiller.

I was going to swim today, but I've got a day of meetings...this company loves meetings!

Tomorrow, I'll swim.  Honestly.

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

morning all

great run this morning, trying to cut down on the walk breaks now on the shorter runs

EP - I wouldn't want to work those hours in a school. To be fair, I do work more hours than that, but I tend to go and do some of them at home with a decent cup of coffee and I get to see my kids at the same time

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Great reports Beerswiller and Pippi! image

I'm planning to do the first week of half Fink plan this week to get into the swing of things. Obviously Monday was a rest day (and a needed one with all the snoozes I had), today I planned to go for a swim in the morning as per plan but then thought I might as well be a realist, we all know how well my intended morning swims have gone! So instead I've swapped Tuesday and Wednesday around so today it'll be biking after work.

EP - what's your plan for extra biking? Do intermediate Fink bike or just generally do longer or more sessions? 

• Well done everyone on there race times, great stuff

Not been on here for a while as been injured, still waiting on more x ray results on my knee but hey thats life.

Just got back training last week with a few 20-25 mile bike rides and today i have signed up to BADtri so booked myself on for a swim session next monday evening 

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about your knee Bs, what happened? Glad you're on the mend though.

My niggle is still there and not able to run. I have an appointment with physio on Thursday but can't make it and then week after that I finish work so I think I won't bother going back and find a new physio close to home.

• image Ay up Spark's hope your on the mend mouse you might have seen on the threads is BADtri so she even is or was one of the organier's for there tri if you've spoken to her on the threads.

Pippa I hadn't made the conection with the fetchie top. Told you I was dozy yesterday. image 

Nice race reports guys promise I'm post one as soon as got 10 minutes to write afraid I'm having to work this week. image

• So who is coming out to play for the little piglet - or am I on my lonesome this year?

• Thanks guys, my knee has been hurting when i run or put pressure on it, (even walking up stairs) so thought i had to get it checked out. Doctor said it clicks alot and need X ray and soft tissue scan to see whats up then book in for a physio to sort it out.

Strangely it doesn't hurt when i cycle or swim so at least i can start training again.

• Not me afraid doing a marathon.

Pippa if any good I know cheshire sprint very well first tri I ever did. It's a brine pool which will much up your hair and taste a bit foul but got a good bike route the run is laps around the park it's on. If and it's a very big iff at the moment I'm free that weekend you might see me there because got a lot of mates living round there and never see them enough. Me and better half are presently working out what races to do around then so chances are I'll be some place else. In case any use they normally have free camping there if you wanted to come over the day before and take it all in.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Come on EP, stop beating yourself up!

Whether or not you're all those above, you can still TRI!!!! Which most people can't! So there! image

• Or you can yell at me on Sunday - since I appear to be the only Pirate signed up to do the Little Piglet image

• Hi everyone,

I have been reading all your posts and race reports with interest and its great to know that others are experiencing the same doubts and satisfaction from triathlons. I am a newbie having done the sandman sprint last September and I am doing the slateman sprint triathlon on Saturday. I haven't trained or dieted as well as planned but I'll be there  giving it a go anyway. I hope it's okay to join in with everybody as the season progresses.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Is Little Piglet this Sunday?