Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Join in Glasslegs, the more the merrier!

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Wow you've all been busy and well done to all the racers at the weekend. It seems to have been a busy one tri wise.

I did the Mojito on Sunday and it's reminded me why I do this, so much fun.

The swim was a challenge rather deep mud at the start and a lot of floating weed that wasn't attached to the lake bed? But once through that clear going and not too cold. It must have rained hard during the swim so smug moment for me as I'd put my stuff in a carrier bag so had dry shoes and socks to put on. Then forgot about the timing chip on my ankle and fell over trying to get my wetsuit off! Thankfully being at the back of the swim pack meant no one else around to fall on. image 

The bike was my favourite bit and I'm still in love with my new bike over took 10 people , it's great fun seeing someone ahead and slowly reeling them in then you spot the next one and so on. I also got to ride my Domane over cobbles so she's happy that she got to do what she was built for.

I made it through the run OK , everyone I overtook on the bike came flying past me early on but I had expected that .Its fair to say I jogged the whole thing so better than the planned walk. 

Having just got back from the physio today everything is still improving so I can carry on, although I'm back in my mega control shoes and off the shelf orthotics,  I'm off to someone about those in a couple of weeks time.

As always though when I got the results I was a little sad, I'm happy with all my times but sad to still be very close to last with 74th out of 77 finishers.

Swim 38:26 aimed for under 40 mins, "A" goal would have been 36 mins
    T1 3:35 Included putting on a jacket and gloves and falling over image
    Bike 1:29:26 aimed for under 1:30 so happy days
    T2 1:51 Have to tie my laces as feet hurt with elastics and had completely numb feet!
    Run 1:17:11 Not too bad considering 62 mins is my best ever solo 10K time.

Total 3:30:32 - Drat Could I have gone 33 seconds quicker???

I now have an Olympic Tri Pb  to try and beat this Summer. Oh and just before I the race remembered multi sport mode on my Garmin but then failed to actually start it. I've still got a lot to learn.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Excellent race report and glad to hear you enjoyed it!

• Can i ask do you all follow a plan? 

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Ali - massive well done!! That's fantastic for an oly

glasslegs - welcome. training and dieting often don't go to plan for anyone, so don't let that stop you!

buttercup - feel sad that I am not doing it with you this weekend but I think I need to get a long bike ride in image

I have found out that Colwick where I was planning a swim on Sat afternoon isn't doing the normal swim this Saturday, but are doing swim races and aquathlons instead - so reckon I might to the 1500m swim - practice for outlaw and half

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I've only done one sprint tri and didn't follow a plan. I've got one coming up in 3 weeks and not following  a plan to that either. I don't really seem to train that much. Due partly to injuries. But will follow a plan from next week on as trying to get myself ready to do Wild Boar HIM.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

If I keep saying it, it must be true. image

• thank you. Pleased to know you are not following a plan as i am not.  It is 8 weeks away yet and nervous already!!

very brave to enter a HIM.  When is it?

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

I had a vague plan - 2x run, 2xswim, 2x bike per week - but life and bruises got in the way! I did keep up the swimming as I go with OH so that's a date, and did some longer bike rides as I had a sportive.

Looking on Amazon at elastic laces last night!

Dilly Dally - I was so nervous beforehand, but once I'd done it, I wondered why. It was all smooth sailing, well organised, etc.

dilly dally - I only have a vague plan! My swims are all taken care of with the masters sessions and a swimsmooth session that I go to. Running I kind of do as and when, though I did pretty much stick to a plan I made for the marathon I did, but that was more like: run a couple of times during the week, then a long run at the weekend, and I had planned out in advance how long those runs would be'

has to be said though, I am always at the back, if I was actually talented or athletic in any way and competitive about it all I would stick more to a plan! But I am doing it for fun not to break any records.

• I generally have a plan but due to illness and injuries it's all gone a bit poos the past 2 months image so a lot of it is currently train as I feel.  My legs were feeling good today image I think the cupping and exercises are working! I biked home tonight and didn't get rained on! Nearly bowled a numpty pedestrian who walked out onto the road without paying attention image

Dilly Dally where are you based?

• Thanks for the welcome , I have been looking at doing a middle distance event later in the year and see some of you are doing the wild boar is it a hilly bike / run / beginner friendly event.

• got my new gillet delivered today so though id have a quick blast on the bike. 40 minutes.

• Glass legs it is a very friendly race - the bike is relatively flat but the run is undulating.  It is a nice one to do for your first HM image

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Oooh, aargh, sigh.   I am tired and ache today, swim this morning was OK and felt that I worked hard, then tonight's Pilates, well, new piece of equipment to use, a magic circle. More like instrument of torture, it was very hard work and now I ache all over.

Bristolsparks, new kit is always good.

I have sort of followed a plan.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Yeah come along and play Glasslegs! What's your training been like and what are your aims for this year?

Did the usual 8.5mile ride after work but bf didn't want to wait for my garmin to pick up the satellites so it missed about 3 miles. Normal time though and 1 outing done! image

yeah, glasslegs, come to wild boar image

wanted to bike this evening but spent the 4 hours since I got home filling in a job application form - for a posh girls high school!! I have no chance really cos I am not posh enough but no harm in trying!

ah well, thoroughly enjoyed my run this morning and it was a 'hard' run so not too bad resting my legs!

• I've just looked on the website and I like the look of it and think it might help to motivate me if other people on here are also doing it just need to be sure in myself I will be okay with the distances. At the moment Mikasa my aims for the year are all triathlon related - sprint in May oly in July and middle distance in September. Training wise I am doing okay I have been OW swimming and can do 2x 500 laps FC with a short rest in between cycling the distance will be okay but I suspect I would have to jog/walk the run.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Yeah Glasslegs, you're ahead of me, I don't do fc yet and I can't run atm due to injury. You'll be fine with the distances. 16 week plan for Wild Boar starts next Monday! image

• I'm going to go for it - 16 weeks ! I already have a book iron fit secrets for half iron success by Don Fink is this what people are using ?

glasslegs - yes, that's what others are using image

• New goggles arrived today, so forced myself to swim a full 1,500m tonight. I think for me with swimming boredom is an issue, so if I can find a reason to stop I will. But tonight with a clear lane ahead of me and nice new goggles gracing my face, I did the distance. 33:25 for 1,500m, the first time I've swum more than 400m in one go since about January. Technique really needs some work at the moment too, my kick is particularly pants, I just seem to do 1 kick per arm stroke. Time to do some reading of Swim Smooth and get some drills done

• Eek sounds like i need to get a watch, a plan and a book by Fink...... 

Fab reports and good to see everyone enjoying themselves rather than stressing over stuff. I am loving the thought of new bikes,goggles and gillets bringing such pleasure image

Good luck with job search mathschick

EP - what is the little piglet and is being short a legitimate excuse for my performance (i am 5ft and hubby can walk alongside me as i run as he is 6ft 3) 

• Little piglet is a sprint tri put on by the same people as the wild boar.  And I'm 5'1 image sometimes I think being taller would be good but eh image

I am taller but it doesn't make me any quicker...

• Buttercup i live close to Darlington and Durham in the North East.  I was so pleased to read other peoples responses.  I am not naturally athletic in any way shape or form and am doing this as I have wanted to do one for fun for years.  I would like to do it all without stopping/walking and just hope I am not last!  I am really enjoying the training I am doing.  i am doing the great north run in September and i am more worried about that!!

Reading all your posts makes me feel so much more at ease.

• DD dont worry being the last pirate standing is nothing image finishing is important!