Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• LOL LMH I keep on telling myself "It's meant to hurt!" on the bike image

• Cheers MC I'll do it that way.

• Glad to be of help ButterCup image

Will wait to hear from you MC. Fingers crossed.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • I imagine you can get those little ones that fit in your ear not on the outside Pixie Dad has those in both ears.  

I googled sports hearing aids and this came up:

http://hearing.siemens.com/us/en/products/bte/aquaris/aquaris.html

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

can I come and play with Lego?? I imagine they are getting the robot kits - would fancy one of those

well, they won't let me change to a relay as all the paperwork is already done image

and I am mightily fed up with the Head here

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MC - That's a shame. You are still going for a swim though?

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear it's too late to change MC but there is so much to organise I can understand why.

I had an adventurous weekend with lots of bike riding but yesterday I nearly broke my new bike. The horror! Changing gears and the chain slipped and wedged between the crank and the frame, thankfully I was on a sportive and the organisers and mechanics were great, only 15 mins wait for the mechanics. Not such a hardship sat on the grass verge in the sunshine playing on my phone. They must have taken all of 5 mins to fix it. In my defence several helpful ride participants had stopped for a look and agreed it was a mechanic job so I'm not a total numpty. They also re-aligned my derailleur so I was good for the last 35 miles and changing gears was fine. So bike is now booked in with them for a pre outlaw service and I finally have a local bike shop I can trust.

I also now sport  a cracking comedy tan as I forgot the sun cream on Saturdays ride, remember yesterday thankfully so am not completely burnt to a crisp. Good old Riemann P50, the smell of it reminds me of outlaw last year! I have a stripy wrist thanks to my Garmin.

This evening I have to be brave and take a good look at Tabitha Trek and asses the damage I did. I think I've done some damage to the frame, only cosmetic but my poor bike. I must be nicer and improve my gear changing.

• image Ali how long have you had the new bike and has it been serviced since you got it? Legally the shop you got it from has to do a service after I think from the top of my head 6 weeks because the gears and gear change wires will move and stretch after it's started to be used. This might be whats caused the problem.

Basically if whoever you got the bike from hasn't done all that send them the bill. image

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

MC, are you going to come for the swim on the day, get your moneys worth from the event, or even try the bike course and just do the first loop, then retire, then you can compare times with me from last year.

EP good news, I promise not to shout. Father in Law finds that the worse thing is screaming children in the supermarket and the noise of washing up and putting crockery and pans away in the kitchen when he wears his hearing aid. Good news that a road bike is OK for riding on the trail.

I am so pleased today is rest day. Still catching up with chores that were not done at the weekend.

• Hearing aids are brilliant. I don't wear mine when exercising though. Well done EP. new world awaits. Mouses click, indicators in cars go tick tock, rain makes a noise and you might be able to hear that bit in Bohemian Rhapsody that goes ting a ling after "shivers down my spine"

• MC why don't you come and race anyway? Do the swim, do the bike the best you can you might surprise yourself and we both know you can do the run image if not at least you got a nice bike ride or swim! 

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

I lost a lot of hearing in one ear and got a hearing aid (though I don't wear it anymore - I find I'm better without it having probably learned to live with the deafness). Nobody ever noticed it (I do have a lot of hair!). The best bit was being able to hear conversations in a group. Not sure about running with it in - though I could hear the Garmin beeps! - found it a little irritating.

Make the most of what you have, live with a good grace, and change what you can for the better. Sounds a good philosophy.

• That's a shame MC. Have you been able to arrange a look round the East Leake school?

Have the PT sessions worked for you in the past EP?

Ali - hope the damage isn't too bad.

Where's this report Buttercup?

OMG what a crap day

the head won't let me have the time off to go and look round East Leake - so I have to decide which school to go and interview at - probably East Leake, but if I don't get the job I will regret not going to the other one, will work out that way which ever I go to I guess

have sent off another application to a school near me that is a bit of a crap school, doesn't necessarily mean it is bad to work at though and they are offering extra money to try to attract people there....I just know I need to leave where I am working now as I have been unhappy all year

yes, may as well go for a swim at outlaw half, jump on the bike and see what happens...

buttercup - didn't see your fb message about dambusters till this evening, but it is the week before the Clumber half and I don't think 2 events in 2 weeks is going to create harmony at home!

the posh school in Lincs is Kesteven and Sleaford High school - it is in Sleaford

who do you know where? and do they want a maths teacher??

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    So how was training for everyone today? I stuck to the training plan... And had a rest day. Yeah, ha ha! image tomorrow's the test...
  • Bad news MC, still it was worth a try. Hope all goes well finding a new job.

We went over to Roker for a bit of a sea swim. Been looking forward to it all day as it's been lovely and warm, very still. Perfect conditions. Got to Roker and it was really quite breezy and the sea was choppy despite the shelter of the breakwaters. Went in anyway, though only managed a couple of minutes due to the combined factors of the choppiness and the brain freeze I was getting from the water. My body was nice and warm, and my hands and feet weren't too bad, but it was cold on the face! Finished off with a short run out to the end of the pier and back

• Slateman sprint tri / second triathlon / 1st race report.

Hi all here goes,

Arrived in Llanberis Friday night, went to register and was informed I was in wave 2 lilac caps then to in-laws caravan about 3 miles from transition nerves jangling, faffing over kit and fear mounting for what was coming the following morning.

Saturday morning - up bright and breezy the weather was glorious finished sorting a few bits and bobs, 3 Weetabix, cup of coffee and off to transition.

Set everything up chatted with a few other competitors, safety brief all flew by and before I knew it I was stood by the side of the lake watching the first wave set off.

Swim – the water was warmer than I expected couple of oggy oggies and we were off settled into FC and was soon 150M in at first buoy got onto someones legs and drafted them the remaining 250M of the swim. Never tried drafting before still sighted occasionally but couldn’t believe how much easier the swim seemed and luckily I had latched onto someone who swam straight.

Swim Time – 11.35 including a 350M jog to transition 140th of 320 only learned to swim FC last August so well chuffed.

T1 – Took my time tried not to panic 3.06 211th

Bike – The first 4 km of the bike undulates followed by a ride up llanberis pass – a 4.4 km long uphill slog with 260M of climbing cruelly followed by a 1km downhill then turnaround and back up and down. Passed quite a few people and felt strong only negative lots of traffic on the way down took it easy and later heard there were a couple of high speed accidents didn’t see any myself but when I was going down there was an ambulance heading up nothing to serious I hope.

Bike Time – 53.34 138th made up with this too.

T2 2.04 264TH!! I thought I was quick at the time lol.

The run – ouch, somebody told me the run on the sprint was quite flat the lying b*****d it was 6km of relentless ups and downs and steep both ways in parts, the uphills were more of a power walk really and I walked past a few people who were jogging, the last mile was hell and I was glad to see the finish line strangely enough it was the downhills that really seemed to take it out of me but it’s done now and looking back if only the last mile of the whole event really hurt I must have got it something like right.

Run time - 41.37 247th happy enough it was defo my best effort.

Overall 1:51.55 184th over the moon like many others on here I started a couple of years ago 4 stone heavier and unable to run to the end of the street.

Next stops Eirias standard followed by Wild Boar.

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

Fantastic report and well done. you have come a long way. I can imagine round Llanberis is hard going!

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Good report Glasslegs.

• Well done Glasslegs! Nice report too image

MC - that sucks. I take it she has to give you the time off to attend interview? Hope you can find something soon, being unhappy at work sucks.

EP - have you thought about trying something like Fit Naturally with Sally Pinnegar? I know quite a few people have had a lot of success losing weight with her. What's going to be effective very much depends on what sort of stimulus you respond to though, would having a weekly meal plan and weigh in with no external consequences if you didn't stick to it be enough or do you need someone standing and shouting at you? Worth a bit of honest reflection before spending your money I'd say.

• Good report glasslegs.

I'm still struggling with my swimming...I'm dedicating the next two weeks to it and I'll go 3 times a week which means that my running will have to be in the evening.  Last nights running was 7 minutes faster than fridays loop. 

MC - I jumped jobs recently, its a bit stressful and scary but it is worth it.

EP - I do find it easier if I've got to report in to someone each week...I feel like I shouldn't disappoint them. 

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    I made it to the pool this morning! Felt bit bleary so took it easy so only managed 966 metres in 29:xx. Lots of slower people in the middle lane and just couldn't be asked to put the effort in to continuously overtake. After work it'll be x-trainer instead of a run and going to do my gym programme for strength.

Edit: ah, swim time was only 26:25 which is much better than 29:52. 11% resting time.