Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• LMH - you are so lush! Nuff said image

Maths - give it a whirl, why not. In all honesty, what do you have to lose? Take the weekend to feel better bird! I'm old and am well into Audiobooks at the mo. Helping with the longer runs! 

Buttercup - you've done the work. Take it easy, make sure you're right to thrash the beast in 2 weeks! 

Pete - what's the latest on your moving etc?

Eco - how you finding those rollers?

I think I have a f****ing cold... Perils of flying I suppose. It's raining and I have a half marathon tomorrow image BRING IT ON image

• I have no idea what you mean Mrs D but will hope that the smiley means it's something nice image Ah, Mark tells me that lush means nice in Bristol, are you from the west country?

Off for my first OW of the season this afternoon at Colwick - just hope it's warmer in than out!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Ooh I've read love in a time of cholera. It was ok. Have you tried haruki murakami? Totally amazing, and if your feeling brave try the bathhouse by faroosh moshiri or if you're really brave sunday by the pool in kigali...

I have to wait a year before I can move to the states. We're madly trying to fix up the house and garden, sell any excess items, decide where we need to visit in the uk...

• Yup Murakami is on the Kindle image have you read the Sports Gene? I enjoyed that and I enjoyed Karnazes's books as well.

• BC - do you know when you're going to register/brief on Saturday? Could save you the hassle of posting the cycle top and it would be nice to have a friendly face around.

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

would be nice to meet up and go to the same race briefing together

• 12.30? We have to pick the car up and go to the Elf food store to grab some nutrition and then head up there image

• It's going to have to be later for me I'm afraid as Mark wants to tie it in with going to OW. Never mind, hopefully I'll see you both on the day before the start - not that I'm always very good at being social then as BC knows.

• Yes LMH, all good. I'm from Gloucester so close enough to Brizzle. Wish I was coming to Outlaw. My job really does get in the way! image

• I know how you feel Mrs D I work 4 on 4 off 12 hour split shifts days and nights it makes training consistently really difficult
  • You need a nice job in a clinic Mrs D! (I'm assuming you're ward based).

Split shifts are even worse Glasslegs. I'm happy to no longer be a shift worker though I thought I'd miss them when I first stopped after ten years.

• Very much a cycling weekend for me this week. Originally we had planned to head down to Wales this weekend but for a variety of reasons it's not happening, so we're now just about to have breakfast before setting off on the bikes to Dunstanburgh Castle. From Durham we're heading over to South Shields, getting the ferry to North Shields, then following the Coast and Castles cycle route. Should be somewhere in the region of 70 miles, which will be fun for me on my fully loaded up mountain bike. Camp overnight, then hopefully just a 30-ish mile ride to Berwick-upon-Tweed to catch the train back to Durham, unless we can't get the bikes reserved, otherwise it's a decision between riding the 33 miles further north on the off-chance we can get them on a train, and then possibly having to leave the bikes and drive up to get them, or ride the 70 miles south back home

DB - have fun! Sounds like a great couple of days planned, hope the weather holds out for you

think today is going to be housework and filling in all the paperwork for my new job

• Well CrossCountry couldn't reserve us space for bikes, and gave us the wonderful advice of "You could just turn up and hope for the best". Aye, that sounds like a brilliant idea. So instead we're going to ride into Durham to the station, wait for a train to Newcastle that has room for 2 bikes and get on the Coast and Castles route there, knocking about 15 miles off, and then probably do the same in reverse tomorrow

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

I've just walked past Cake when he'd finished Liverpool marathon! I wouldn't have remembered what you looked like, but I did when I saw you although it took a few seconds for the brain to catch on! 

I only went over to to support and meet up with a couple of runners. I do rather regret not doing it though as it seemed a great atmosphere.

have a good weekend, DB. Sounds good, although I would fret over logistics?

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Steady has been unsteady and fallen off my bike,slow speed going round a corner hit a patch of mud and went flying.Bruised and battered, hope to be ok for next weekend.

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

Ouch! Hope you're okay (as the survivor of a couple of bike falls in recent months ... image)

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

DB - have a great cycling trip!

Steady - Hope you or the bike didn't get too hurt. Sounds like a good ride otherwise.

Cake - well done on finishing your marathon!

I'm bit knackered. We decided to ride to Brighton today, we've been thinking about a while and just seemed a good day to do it. Unfortunately,had a puncture about 16miles in. Bf repaired it but when he was pumping the tyre up, poof, all air out again,valve ripped. No spare. Poor bf had to ride back to Guilford (10mi'ish round trip). Ended up wasting about 1.5hr all together with that incident. At about 20ish mile arrived to Cranleigh and bf very hungry so stopped to have a small roast. image The route was very flat, being on an old railway trail but some places were very muddy, others really bumpy and big gravel so not quite as easy as smooth surface. When we got to Hove, we stopped for an ice cream before finishing the ride 3miles later in front of Brighton Pier. All together 55 miles in 5:07, though total elapsed time was 8:34. Average moving speed 10.8mph. So not fast but not really bothered about that. Happy to have done a big ride and not being dead after it but obviously the long breaks properly made it a lot easier. Fish and chips for dinner and a train back home. About 12hr day all in all. Kind of ready to go bed but still hungry...

• Great training everyone sounds like good ride DB I've done the CTC -trans pennine a couple of times fully loaded mountain bike camping etc great days out 

Mikasa like you say it's long rides that count and you can't expect good speeds on terrain like that

Steady I have fell victim to mud, manhole covers, and group riding hope you are ok for next week

Well done Cake image

I have just stuck to the fink intermediate plan this week and added in a 45 mile undulating ride around frodsham and delamere fitted in easier with my shift pattern next week hopefully a bit more riding and a couple of OW swims.

morning

mikasa - sounds like a great ride, and as glaslegs says, that kind of terrain is never going to be speedy so don't worry about the speed.

I am still feeling rubbish, sinuses very painful, didn't sleep because I was coughing loads......will have to see how it develops before making a decision about the weekend I think, would like to give it a whirl but not feeling like this. 

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Mikasa, that route is always tough and most people that I mention it to say it is for mountain bikes rather than hybrids.

My ride was lovely apart from the end, downloaded the garmin this morning, so 42 miles in total at 12.5 mph is not too bad. Head and neck aches and bruises are coming out well. Today is definitely going to be a rest day.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I think mtb would've given a smoother ride definitely as most of the ride is non-tarmac.
    Woke up at 4am and couldn't get back to sleep so got up for a bit,then couple of hours later went back to bed and woke up at 10am.

My body feels like it's done something but not really achy or anything. Peeing it down here today so will keep it as rest day. Need to work out next week as missing out some evenings for catching up with people. Don't want to miss too much of the training even though Sunday's the sprint tri, No need to taper for that as I'll be slow anyway.

• Steady - hope you and the bike ok... Sending healing vibes! To you too Maths! 

DB - hope all works out well.

Well, tough day at office yesterday. Having not done anything really for 3 weeks I had a realistic view that if I got inside 2:30 would have been happy. All started ok, then it got hot.. Really hot! I don't do heat at all. Was plodding along at a nice 10:30 min/mile and gradually that slowed up. My first race with an iPod (audiobook not music). Was very glad to have it. Eventually was lucky to be under a 12min/mile. Hips and knees not happy and I'll be honest I felt awful. However, continued to have a big smile on my face and chatted with a few people. 

At mile 10 there is a long uphill drag for about a mile. That was the point my body gave up. Not up the hill but on the way down. I have never felt so awful. I managed to pootle along behind a few people but was very glad to see mile 12. It's a very strange experience at the end of a race bobbing between the shoppers especially when you're legs don't seem to be moving. As I reached the finish I was gutted to see I wasn't gonna get under the 2:30 goal. Some expletives were shared as MrD requested a sprint finish - he finished in 2:01 to**er! Medal and t-shirt acquired. Home to eat, sleep and drink cider! I can't really move much today. But hey, who cares image

• LMH - I am indeed ward based. It is quite vile at the moment but hey ho! Am looking at other options presently!

How did others get on over the weekend?

• Pippi LS wrote (see)

I've just walked past Cake when he'd finished Liverpool marathon! I wouldn't have remembered what you looked like, but I did when I saw you although it took a few seconds for the brain to catch on! 

image Oh heck sorry Pippi Didn't spot you or would have stopped to say hello. Managed to mash up my calf a little near the end but other than that it was top fun.

Steady hope your ok and MrsD well done. Mikasa rest day's are ace and think you have earnt one. Having one today me and sarah went over to Homefirth to look into a couple of second hand book shop's but just in case if the weather is sh*t I'd still try and get out there just because the weather might be rubbish on the day of the race and best to get used to it.

MrsD - well done, though I can't for the life of me remember which half you were doing!

Steady - rest up, but keep stretching. Hope you are ok

I have had a rubbish day of feeling rubbish, did some supermarket shopping because the kids and OH came back from their jaunt today and made a roast. Finished a book too, My name is.. by Alistair Campbell, not sure if I like his style of writing but I finished it so it can't be too bad.

Think I am going to put my feet up some more and watch some light entertainment style film! Maybe twilight breaking dawn part 2 as I haven't seen that yet! Read and enjoyed the books but find the films a bit rubbish really

• It rained all weekend. I got one short bike in. And no bank holiday in Scotland. I need to run tonight.  I've decided that I'll do the big duathlon in june and one tri in july and its running only until my marathon in september. 

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

Cake, I didn't work out it was you until I was past and decided against running back and explaining who I was! You were walking up past the Hilton towards John Lewis, and Liverpool One.

glasslegs, you must be not far from me - I'm Wirral.

I'm on half term but got a trip to London for dissertation research, and then a short break in Jersey ... Easyjet hand luggage only so no room for running shoes, bike, but I do have my cossie, and a hotel with 2 pools! 

• Just got back from OW swimming at pennington flash free coaching sessions with Paul Hawkins did some drafting then sighting was really informative and good to swim in a group situation.

Pippi I live in warrington so not too far considering  doing the liverpool triathlon are you doing it ?

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭
    I've had a good weekends training although had to resort to turbo on Saturday due to the weather which stemmed odd for May! Undone all my

Good work by discovering a new sweet shop today. Getting very excited about Sunday now., I really hope we get good weather.