Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Just got back. Google said it would be 68 miles, turned out to be 75.7. The last 7.7 unexpected miles were a killer! Did about 63 miles today, rode back to Newcastle then got the train back to Durham. Was getting too disheartening cycling through the somewhat more grim parts after leaving Northumberland behind, and my body was giving up at that point!

Hard work riding that sort of distance carrying all your camping kit!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Great cycling DB, esp. carrying all your camping gear, not sure I would've managed that.

Just a short swim for me this morning, just under 1k. Going to go for a drink with an ex-colleague after work so not sure I'm gonna get x-trainer done today.
  • After a pannick that I'm not training very much and Outlaw not very far away, I did a long bike ride on Sunday and a double brick session on Monday with my Sister and Brother in law, 1 at a time as 1 of them had to watch the little un, they are both training for an oly and I thouight it would be good to acompany them, we did a 20k fast bike and a 5k run, with my sister 1st, I found it quite easy going, then straight back on the bike for a 20k fast pace, then another 5k run, at which point I began to feel like I was running through syrup image

Great training sesh, but not one I'd jump at next time image

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

DB - well done on the cycling!

JP - wow that sounds like a great but tough session

I am still feeling rubbish, have been to the doctor and got antibiotics for a sinus infection. Now, I really don't know what to do about Sunday. I am thinking, monitor my resting hr and see what it is on Saturday and make a decision based on that. From previous experience of sinus infections, the antibiotics should deal with it in a few days and I should start feeling better,but I will still be taking antibiotics on Sunday, so should I race if I am feeling ok?

I offered to marshal at the running club's memorial run tonight which is going to mean standing about in the rain! Not what I feel like doing but I don't want to let them down 

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

JP - half of that would be a good session for me. Well done!

MC - oh rubbish timing with the sinus infection! If you're feeling well enough, I'd probably give it a go on Sunday but if you don't feel like it, no harm done. Tough call to make. Hope the memorial run is only 10k so you won't have to be out too long.

I'm not feeling quite as tired as after my swims last week so it must be improvement. image

• I ran last night.  The biggest problem with evening running in Scotland is that the midges come out and attempt to eat me to the bone.  It looks like my arm has chicken pox! 

For some reason my tummy rebelled at the late night run and I think I set a new pb for the 1km waddle with buttocks clenched!  It was not a good thing...now I'm worrying about my september marathon...can I run over the finish line and straight in to the toilet?

haha - pete, I often have that problem in the mornings, but I have never had the problem in a race. Advice for training runs is to make sure your route goes past some bushes, or a leisure centre if you are in a town where you can nip in if you need to

• mathschick wrote (see)

haha - pete, I often have that problem in the mornings, but I have never had the problem in a race. Advice for training runs is to make sure your route goes past some bushes, or a leisure centre if you are in a town where you can nip in if you need to

lol...I guess you haven't seen my route on garmin...I am very rural.  Very rural, there are plenty of bushes but very few leisure centres or houses for that matter.  The annoying thing was that it was literally the last few kms when my digestion gave up and demanded to be emptied!  This had never happened before which is why it was such a shocker!

• MC - general advice is light/moderate exercise only for the first few days of antibiotics but as long as your RHR is back within 10bpm of usual on Sunday you should be safe to race. Is it a five day course?

Pete - for the last two or three days before a longer race I have a 'bad' diet - less fruit and veg, white bread etc to minimise the chances of 'gastric distress'.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

ah pete, just take some tissues and you can nip behind a hedge if it happens again

LMH - 7 day course. I'll monitor my rhr over the next few days, make a decision on Saturday as to whether I think I am up to it. 

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

MC, sounds like you and me will be decide on Saturday girls.

I have been to the GP and Osteopath/sports massage, I had arranged the sports massage and general check to the lower back in advance, ready for race day, but went to GP as still had headache. Diagnosis was mild concussion and shoulder is mainly bruising and muscle damage although they have not ruled out a possible hairline fracture to the top of the humerus (arm bone) where it meets the shoulder joint. Prescribed large amount of rest of the REST variety. So I am in extreme taper.

oh blimey steady, take care. Are you going to come and support anyway if you don't compete? I will be supporting if not competing (unless I am still feeling totally rubbish but would probably come for the run support at least). Have they sent you for an xray?

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Holding off having an x ray, as a hairline fracture probably would not show up straight away. If I am not up for it, I doubt whether I will make the journey up to support as it is about 2.5 hours in the car but keeping my fingers crossed,
    I would aim to do the swim and see if I can beat the cut off then if successful at that give the bike a go and see what happens.

• At this rate I will be the only Pirate standing soon image hope you are both okay!  Am not enjoying the weather or the tapering at the moment!

• Hope you're soon feeling 100% Steady and MC.

Tapering sucks ButterCup - but the weather should improve by Sunday.

• Not enjoying tapering Buttercup? I thought that was the best part of a training schedule? 

Not good about possible hairline fracture or sinus infection steady and mathschick.

JP 1 brick session is tough for me let alone 2! Sounds like you pushed them though. 

Hope recoveries are going ok Cake and Pip

Glasslegs- good session then, sighting is almost impossible in open water. 

Still doing 4-5 sessions each week but only had my 2nd sea swim on sunday and found my wettie quite restrictive. Have a sprint on sat but luckily its a pool. 

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

EP well done on the weight loss.

Buttercup, tapering is a horrid but necessary part of the training.

when I tapered for the marathon, I was so happy to have done the final long run image

however, no exercise for more than a week now image

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Today has so far been image followed by image, then image and image.

My bento box has gone missing, last seen about a month ago. Will start looking for it in really odd places soon to try to find it, have looked in all the usual places.

steady - how are you feeling today? If you don't find it I could probably lend you mine, it is looking less and less likely that I will be competing on Sunday. They will probably also be selling them onsite on the Saturday

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I am still trying to be positive, but then thinking the worse. I will get one at the expo if I come up. I have got the kit laid out on the spare bed, so trying to give out positive vibes.

Mr Steady suggested that I have a bike ride to check the bike out, but will wait until Friday for that, swimming test may be on Friday as well, just a short one to see how things feel.. The bruises are yellow and purple now, but the head is still sore. At least it is making me rest and sleep more which helps the recovery process.

• Steady rest up you can't win this race by training a lot this week but you can sure mess yourself up by not recovering. Checking the bike out friday sounds like a good plan. Hopfully we get to shout abuse at you and it's all going to be great. image

• Are you bring jelly babies Cake - cause I've a feeling I will need them!

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I have a bag of jelly babies in my pile of bits to bring Buttercup, also some gels that have caffeine in them for anyone who wants 'cos I have to avoid the caffeine.

Cake I do not intend on doing any training this week, it will be a quick check that body and bike works OK, then I will know whether to start the race or not. Getting achy forearms!

Race fuel/ breakfast in the form of oaty, fruity bars to be made tonight.

Who is camping?

I need to look for my race belt on the off chance I get to use it! 

steady - I am not camping, I live about 40 mins away, which I know means I have to get up at a silly time on Sunday morning, but at least I can have a cup of coffee and some porridge at home

• Im not camping either image I can sleep in my own bed! Less stress for the hubbie too image

• SuckitupButterCup wrote (see)

Are you bring jelly babies Cake - cause I've a feeling I will need them!

Will be in my bento box for the trip up but will make I have some spare for you. Anyone else? Long as I can carry it can make sure I bring stuff.  

• Hope you continue to feel better Steady and that there's a last minute improvement for you too MC. Those antibiotics should be kicking in.

Good weight loss EP - that's a lot for a week. Keep at it!

I have enough trouble getting out of bed let alone up off the floor so no camping for me either.

Can't think of anything other than a fresh pair of legs assuming the lungs keep working through the swim image

thanks LMH, I am hoping I can at least do the swim, but I will be sensible and see how I am, not worth risking making things worse