Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Maths ever way you've payed for the place if you still want to do the swim you could do that. Would be good experance of a big race swim. Just checking you can't defer and get a refund still now can you?

Might be worth some transtion training as well know transition sounds easy but under pressure sometimes it's not.

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

no, you can't defer image the swim will be good practice for outlaw swim

• Definantly good practice. If it feels right set up tranision do the swim and them pull out or pull out where good and safe on the bike. Sorry I don't know the bike course for the half so not sure what it's like.

• Hi Maths, sorry you might not get the day that you planned, great that you're still coming though.

• MC - if that's what you want to do then do it! Change of plan here as Mark has broken a bone in his hand so no OW, aiming to get to the first briefing now and home for lunch.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

LMH - oh no!! How did he manage that. Just as well we didn't manage to change it to a relay. 

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

MC, If you feel like it,  do the swim then if OK do the bike for the first loop which will include Southwell, then if slow the motorbike marshall will stop you doing the other loop and you can withdraw without fuss and get back to HPP  to still support the runners. I only managed the first loop on the bike last year, so no fuss if you did the same.

I finally got up the courage to get back on the bike to test myself and it. I have to take drink out with right hand not left, but worse the bike is broke. The gears are OK until I get to a hill and when I change to the easiest ones I think the bottom hanger bit hits the spokes, might be a case of bend it but now too late for the LBS to look at it. Will either have to go to shop first thing and ask nicely if they can sort it or chance it that TFN at the expo can put it right.

• Turns out he did it two weeks ago when he fell off MC!

What a pain Steady - that's a stress you could do without.

Steady - what a pain!! I think I am bigger than you otherwise I could have lent you my bike. Good to hear that you are ok though. 

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Hoping the good folk from TFN are there at HPP and can sort it out.

steady - I think it did say in a recent email that they would be there. Might be worth trying your local bike shop in the morning though if it isn't too much hassle in case it needs a new part. 

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

MC, the shop will open at 9 but it is the opposite direction to the M25 to start with, but hope they can look at it.

Have almost finished packing and looks like I will be borrowing the big car to fit it all into.

hope you get it sorted steady. See you over the weekend

• mathschick wrote (see)

I know, but such is life

However, there were some last minute places for dambuster on 21 June, I will be better for then so have entered!! Will enter wild boar too, gives me loads of time to get lots of long bike rides in

so - some advice please - would it be weird just to do the swim on Sunday? Then withdraw? I was going to do a test swim tomorrow if rhr is back down to somewhere near normal, and if I feel ok swimming in a pool I was thinking it would be good practice to do the swim on Sunday. Or I am clutching at straws?

Brill.... i'm doing Dambuster*, see you there!

* subject to a last minute-ish work trip to Singapore... just trying to negotiate a Sunday flight, rather than the usual Saturday!... as it is, i've got to fly back on the wednesday, for a thursday flight to Nice for IM France!!!!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Woohoo there will be a nice little pirate contingent aboard the good ship Dambuster then!

• Good luck at the weekend all competing. Comiserations to sickly kids and those injured. Will be thinking of you - GIVE IT LARGE! image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Good luck fo everyone competing this weekend!

MC - sorry to hear you're still not feeling well. Just do what  you feel is best.

Steady - hope you get the bike sorted.

Off to London soon. image
    Bit anxious about transitions tomorrow as T1 and T2 are in totally different places. Not that I'm really changing anything,will be using my trainers this time round. It just if I have to leave anything behind. Must brief bf beforehand and make sure he knows where he's supposed to be and what he's supposed to be doing. image

Then next week need to book that physio...

good luck mikasaimage

• Enjoy mikasa!

Feeling any better MC?

bit better, going to go to my normal masters swim and see if I can manage that, if I can then I can manage tomorrow's swim. If not, it is easy to bale out of a pool swim! Then I will have my answer as to whether to try the swim tomorrow. rhr still 10+ beats above normal though 

• Hope the swim went ok MC but to be honest if my RHR was over 10bpm above normal I wouldn't be starting, it's going to be more stressful than just swimming, even though you know you're not going on to race the rest.

yeah, you're probably right. Will make a decision this evening, which will affect what time I set my alarm for!

I guess if it wasn't on, I would just have the weekend resting although I am starting to feel better

• Go with your gut Maths. Only you will know how you're truly feeling. 

2hour pootle out on the bike. About 31 miles... Mr D had his first tumble off. Not impressive, simply comical. Teach him to leave me behind at some traffic lights! 

Oo enormous good luck vibes in Half Outlaws direction. I'm so excited and nervous for you guys. You'll be rocking. GO PIRATES!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRGHHHHHHHH! 

well, thanks to everyone for being here with this week of indecision and ups/downs (well, ok, downs), decided it is better not to do it, no point risking being out for another couple of weeks just for a swim. Not happy, but it is just the way it goes

will be there cheering everyone else on though

• Bike washed and good to go. Bento box on bike, drinks made. Kit lying on the lounge floor.  Tat numbers out next to the immodium image even remembered the bike shoes this time. Tried on new goggles and the half cap.   Everything stickered up.  Just need to get there on time image

Go hard PIRATES!

• Oo... So exciting! Go hard small one! image

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I am tattooed up, drink to be made up in the morning. P20 also applied.

• Sounds like the right decision MC - will look forward to your support on the course (assuming I keep breathing through the swim).

BC - like Steady I've stuck the tatts on already - one less job in the morning. Getting up at 0400hrs is early enough!

That's optimistic with the P20 Steady image

Thanks Mrs D - please send breathing thoughts my way around 0700hrs. Hope Mr D is ok.

you will be ace LMH, why wouldn't you breath through the swim? Just remember to breath out and your body will take care of the breathing in. Have a great race and I look forward to meeting you tomorrow!

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I burn very easily, has resulted in a trip to A&E from a bike ride so taking no chances.