Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• BBT, wow that was a killer swim session, 1 length of fly is my limit.

Boo to eye infection Maths.

Well done Pete, it sounds a tough course but well worth it.

Razor I am sooo glad you reminded me when Fink starts image but I will be doing my adapted Fink for Outlaw Half and just add in more bike miles ready for Outlaw bike section.

• Steady,

The Fink plan is great whichever plan you decide to do, I thought the swim sessions were too long so I just swam as much as I could in an hour but made sure I kept my  form as best as I could. If I had more time I would also do some of the drills.

I definately need to hammer the bike this time and get some hill work in.     image 

• Steady,

The Fink plan is great whichever plan you decide to do, I thought the swim sessions were too long so I just swam as much as I could in an hour but made sure I kept my  form as best as I could. If I had more time I would also do some of the drills.

I definately need to hammer the bike this time and get some hill work in.     image 

• Had a dream last night that I couldnt run! Could breath and felt fine but like legs were in a vice and everyone was shouting at me to run but it was like water jogging! Got me thinking this morning that maybe signing up for an IM is a bit (a lot) unrealistic? 

I can swim 2k in 50mins, i can bike 30 miles in 2 hours  and i just did a 4:15 marathon but not done beyond those distances or put long things together. is it doable with a reasonable stab at a training plan? Have young children so i wont be doing double sessions 6 days a week! 

• Camlo those times are better than some of the folks on the threads who have done IM's myself included. For a longer race through isn't about getting the constistancy as you go and long bike rides are needed. Still very doable through just got to be canny and there might be day's you plan ahead and get the other half to look after the kids while you get in a long bike ride.

It is all realistic just will be some hard work on some day's.

• I went swimming this morning, but am binning the Pilates tonight. The cold is almost in full flow and feel achy and tired.
    I looked at the calendar for September, each week I did an extra session, so started at 2 per week and ended on 6, which may have been my downfall. So this week is recovery week.

• Well done on the mara Pete!!

Carlo, I always sign up for mad unrealistic targets, it is half the fun, and makes you train harder.....

This year's mad running races were a 50 miler in may, which was tough but grand. Then I had signed for a 100k in June, then a 24 hr in july, but fate intervened and I slipped one week after the 50 and knackered my leg!!!!!

Only got back to marathon level July. That is why I started swimming in May and got the notion of triathlon image

Of course my ultimate goal is I.M, let the madness begin...

• Sorry that was supposed to say Camlo....

• evening all

well, drops are working, eye is feeling much better, and I am feeling generally better, so I made the stupid decision to go for a run this evening - got covered in biting insects! It was nice to be out though image

• So, after stupidly signing up to a 10k in November to help with my preparation i've decided to do Stoptober and Sober October in an effort to increase the chance of me dragging myself across the finish line.

I need to quit smoking but my addict brain can't cope with any longer term thinking than a month.

I don't drink much anyway, got a 16 month old, who has the time? but i don't want a hangover on a sunday disrupting my training in October for the 10k.

wish me luck.

• Rpitchfo I'm a ex smoker myself well mostly it's really hard image The good news is that if you can't do it I've discovered that bento box's are the perfect size for 10 fag's and if you have one on a IM course it makes some folks luagh while other's you can see there head's explode on the inside. image Only had one relapse in Sept which happy about just got to innore the voices and not spark up.

• Penglais Hill? Nice easy way to ease you into the bike leg!

• Evening all - long time no see!

ive taken the plunge and got a wetsuit and did my first standard distance at the weekend. LOVED IT!

Thank you so much to all of you that encouraged me in my very first stumbling steps into multi event racing just over a year ago- you are fab!image

• well done Emma, glad to hear you are still doing it. Plus you are probably still quicker than me.

• Well done steady - so long as we are out there.

I've just got my VLM rejection so can focus on winter tri training - hopefully a middle distance sometime image

• Think I'm going to get for some new running shoes today. Started week 4 of couch 2 5k and it's a killer. Back is stiff this morning.

Day three - no smoking/ no alcohol
  • Nice one Emma image

Rpitch have you tried patch's or anything?

• It's not the nicotine I tend to have a problem with - i find the first few days hard don't get me wrong but it's the habit/mental thing that always get's me....i've quit a few times before from 2-9 months. I just really enjoy bloody smoking and hopefully the day comes when I've had enough of it.

• image Sounds very familar mate. tea help's. image

• Well done rpitchfo the first 5k are the worst.

well done on the no smoking - I don't think about it at all at  now. Apart from to think 'that stinks' when I run past people and  'I can't believe I used to smoke' - the running will really help!

try to break the habits by not recreating he environments where you used to smoke and give yourself a prize for every week/ month you don 't smoke. A nice foodie treat for a week and a piece of kit for a month. If I get a pb I give myself a prize!

Mrs D - what's wrong?!

• Just popping in to report that the snotty grotty has been replaced by bit bunged up and a cough. This recovery week has been taken very gentle although I have been good and walked each day to/from station to the office, so 2 miles a day. This first week has been tough.

• Emma - well done image

rp - like Emma says, avoid the situations where you would normally smoke. So if your smoking routine is to smoke with a coffee for example, don't sit down with a coffee! After 3 days you have probably broken the physical addiction, the mental one is far stronger

weekendimage

MrsD - are you ill? get better soon

• Thanks for the advice everyone!

Went and got some new running shoes from "up and running" in notts who were very helpful. Gait analysis, treadmill video my run etc. ended up with some brooks adrenaline gts things for a shiny penny. Feel comfy though. I'll be trying them out Sunday.
  • fab efforts Emma, rpitch and steady (2 miles is still 2 milesimage).

Glad I never started smoking, dont need addictions in my life, nope, none, not like coming on forums, over eating and entering races! 

I like noo shoes, well jealous. 

On hols now for a week so that will break my internet addiction as not taking the ipad!

• Hurrah Emma! imageimage Let the addiction begin! 

Good luck Rpitchfo - smoking is a tough one to quit. Use whatever resources are out there.... I'm 9 years now. Still fancy one every now and again image

Glad eye is sorted Maths image

I have the lurgy. But it is destroying me. Favourite doctor statement yesterday,

"I won't give you antibiotics, but keep an eye on your chest symptoms. Without the abx the chance of this developing to pneumonia is higher." Feeling reassured.

• A week to go until my last race of the year (unless I find an off-road duathlon I fancy for the winter). Taking it easy and just going to see how I get on, no point trying to push too hard over the next week.

Picked up my cycle to work bike yesterday (even though I can't cycle to work) bringing my number of bikes up to 3 (or 4 if I count the other mountain bike that's currently in bits). Not a bike I'll ever use for racing on, but the bike that I hope will result in me doing more miles on 2 wheels rather than 4 as it's a hybrid with a rack and panniers. Plan to use it for doing the shopping, going to the gym etc as well as mini cycle tours as it'll be much more comfortable for that task than the mountain bike.

• Tried my new shoes today by completing week 4 day 3 of couch 2 5k. Absolutely lovely morning for running - I get very hot during my "runs" and there was a lovely chill in the air. I can give the shoes a thumbs up. Great support and much less bouncy..just nice and firm. Happy with the purchase.

Moving into my seventh week of training feeling positive and keeping up with my current plan. Not smoked or drank anything for five days!!! Hoping to get a new bike in the next two weeks.

oh…and I’ve not lost any weight!!! still 208 pounds *throws scales away*.

• Oo... New shoes image Rpitchfo - measurements, not weight! Will be a better guideline. Hurrah for the no smoking image

• Raced in The Last Tri, Lydney yesterday (sprint distance).

Fastest overall in the swim, went out strong on the bike but ended up going the wrong way and adding 5mins onto my cycle time, then was a pretty decent (for me) run.

17th overall, 9th in category.

If I were to take the 5min detour off I'd have been up around 5th position so looking good for next year so long as I get my navigation skills fixed!