Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Woohoo! Well done MC. another marathon finish, thats all you need to know. I'm sure your students will let you teach sitting down if you explain. Just make all you maths questions about marathons...if teacher is running at pace x, for 3 hours and then stops for a banana at point y, then resumes at pace z, calculate the distance at y, the final finishing time and show all your workings. 

• Well done maths. If the weather was anything like it was with us then you must have had a chilly start.

• Well done girl's and germ's. image

This weekend I've been still moving house but light at the end of the tunnel now and might actually get in some racing at the weekend. imageimage

BamBam as they say on Game of Thrones winter is coming.

• Well done maths, another marathon done and dusted.

• Cake wrote (see)

BamBam as they say on Game of Thrones winter is coming.

To continue the link I managed to pull/strain my groin swimming this morning...probably a common injury on Game of Thrones

• image Maybe just take it easy for a few day's mate.

• Well done to all the weekend racers.

• Well that's done it. I have entered IM Barcelona, conflicting emotions right now but I would have been very sad if it had sold out before I managed to enter so I think I've made the right choice. My Tri-club have picked it as their IM outing for next year so I get to go as part of the gang and should hopefully have a few training buddies.

I have a lot of work to do now!

• Well done Alibear, at least you now have a target goal. I have had the gym induction and even done a little workout consisting of 5 minutes on the bike and 20 minutes on the treadmill which was broken down into 2 minutes walk and 1 minute run, finished off with 5 minutes cool down walk.

• yay Alibearimage you will love it!

well done in the gym steady

I managed a short raining run this evening

• Woohoo Ali bear you need to stick the turbo in the utility room and turn on the dryer and ride baby ride image

• swimming sessions being interrupted by my eternal search for non-leaky goggles! Driving me crazy. Any recommendations?  

• RP, from a female point I know that I can't use moisturiser on my face 12 hours before I swim or I get goggle leak, not sure if that is any use for you.

When searching for goggles I check that they stick to me without the straps for a few seconds as that proves the shape suits, Zoggs fit, speedo do not. Unfortunately after about a year I find they are worn and leak so just get new ones.

I am now cursing my over enthusiasm at the gym, the top of my inner thigh hurts. Must remember that I am a total beginner at running again.

An early morning swim is planned for tomorrow if I can get a decent nights sleep.

• SuckitupButterCup wrote (see)

Woohoo Ali bear you need to stick the turbo in the utility room and turn on the dryer and ride baby ride image

Genius idea, thankfully I turbo in the garage over winter and guess where the tumble dryer is image

I've got a girly cycling weekend away this weekend then the trek gets turned into my turbo machine and the faithfull old raleigh comes out to play for the winter.

The only issue is that although my bike could do with improving, my swim and run need even more work.

• hi all

rp - I use sable goggles but they are expensive. As steady says, best to find out which brand fit your head though - go to a decent tri or swimming shop and if they stay on your face without the straps momentarily they fit

got a short run in last night and swimming tonight

• whoop AliBear, sounds like the perfect motivation. 

No advice on goggles, i constantly spring leaks although the bigger style which i got as a freebie for subscribing to the mag seem good so far. 

Had a week hols so no running or biking but did swim (play with kids and splash a lot) every day! 

• Nice one Ali. imageimage

finally fineshed faffing about moving house so might actually have some time for training and writing up a few race report's. imageimage

Rp I use Aqua sphere goggles but can't remember which type and they are brilliant. Will check them out and post when they are when able if any good.

• You really won't need the dryer on in the garage. If you're using the turbo right, you'll feel like you're out for a ride on the Sun anyway!

Trying to decide if I'm going to make it to my first Park Run tomorrow or if it's going to be next week. Looking like next week at the moment. On the plus side, my new bike has seen me cycle to the shops a good few times, with the only exceptions over the last fortnight being on the way back from Last of the Summer Tri last weekend, and picking up some beer and steak on my way home from work tonight.

• apparently although I feel fine I am not fully recovered as swimming was a bit hard last night, so just took it steady and enjoyed the time out of a busy week!

• I used the spin bike in the work gym, did CW's Ride Harder 1 so 40 minute interval session dripped loads of sweat as there are no fans just the air conditioning, then after a quick shower ended up doing a power walk to the train station to avoid missing the train.

The weekend is just going to be a ride on Sunday.

MC, sounds like you did the right thing enjoying time out after a busy week.

• My A race for the year might just have changed from A Day In The Lakes (half) to Outlaw (full), providing Cancer Research still have places available, after a chat with the wife.

• Db, hope you get in ,I'll see you there if you do.  image

• Got round to putting my new bike together - never been on a road bike before and shit my pants for the 5 minutes I was out on it. Going to take a while to get used to it - a little bit worried there won't be the time over the winter for me to get confident.

• Road bikes take a bit of getting used to, but once you get there you'll love it.

• DB - that's great news image loads of us will be there

rp - you could always get a turbo too and use it on the turbo over winter, although it isn't the same as being outside on it, it will help you get used to the position

had a great swim today and even managed to keep up with the others in my lane - I was expecting another slow steady slog like on Thursday image

• So, Mr Digger has been doing bits of racing but no training whilst I have been doing nothing due to 'The Plague'! Much has been going on;

It appears that Ali is a legend, Go Girl image  DB will be playing at Outlaw image. Marathon completed by Maths, HM's by Buttercup and Bookie. Good luck to all racing this weekend image

• Hopefully I will be, yeah. Hopefully hear back from Cancer Research tomorrow to find out if they've got any slots left. I had told myself I was going to stick to getting a half done next year, but I'm sick of hearing the wife talk about wanting to do a full whilst I'm not, so I've given in and accepted the harder route!

If I've looked at the calendar right, if I go with one of the Fink plans I'll be starting my proper training on December 30th (well, 29th, but Monday is a rest day), which coincides with being in Spain for New Year. In the mean time, I better get out running and cycling regularly, and get back into the habit of swimming. We did try to get out for a 3 mile run yesterday, but the wife lost her footing when we got into the woods and now she's resting on the sofa with a swollen ankle and various cuts and bruises...

• Went to where my 10k will be this morning and did 5k on the same route. Glad I did - found it useful - hillier than I was expecting, so will take away the shock factor.

I'm also deviating away from couch 2 5k in an effort to get close to the distance before november - taking up the times. I've done the runs so far without much issue and with all the cross training i'm doing i don't think it will be too much of a problem.

Off for 10 minutes on my new bike - trying not to fall off.

• ooh have fun on your bike! Falling off is necessary and inevitable