Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• i visited Stourbridge a couple of weeks ago for the first time....and then went to the glass museum in the area  image

Hi Mattimage

• Hi Matt, I can't help much as southern based. Just enjoy doing it.

• imageimage Has the place recovered yet or is it still in shock you welsh banshee? image 

Matt Black country are probably just as good for training buddies. and bet you they will know every race within travelling distance.

• Lol,Glass museum is literally just around the corner from where I live. So far I am enjoying all he training!

• evening all

nearly half term!! Just an inset day to go which should be pretty relaxed

swimming tonight - I had better go and get my stuff together 

steady - it was a year 7 settling in evening, I am a year 7 tutor, so basically just letting the parents know if there are any issues and them telling me about any issues (mainly friendship things coming up). Although I am ready for half term I did realise today that I am going to miss spending time with lots of intelligent kids! It is a pleasure teaching kids that want to learn!

• hi matt, not sure i get your point about moving up to a full tri.... a sprint still has all the elements!? I find a longer tri less stressful because the pace is a little slower and you have time to think about each bit before the panic of transition. 

Where has the half term gone MC??? Seems like summer hols only just finished! 

cake - are you saying all welsh girls are banshees or just Seren? 

Eldests birthday today so would be rude not to partake in the junk food fest with him.... 

• Camlo - Just meant working up to longer distance ones as opposed to shorter versions.

Am going to give one of the Go Triathlons next month that is just run-bike-run to see how I get on.

Love the fact its half term next week. Cuts my commute by 30 mins! Although I can't believe my son is 5 months old. Feels like yesterday he was born!

• Can anyone recommend some good Triathlon bars for my bike? I bought a Giant Propel Advanced 1 but and looking for some bars for that... Guessing I should be looking at carbon ones if possible...?

• camlo - happy birthday to your boy!

Matt - 5 months, ahhhhh, yours is still cute then! I have one teenager another that thinks he is a teenagerimage

great swim tonight although I wasn't too excited about getting out of the pool after every 4th 50m sprint to do push ups. I can't do push ups. So he suggested squats which I just refused to do in a swimming costume. I settled for tricep type dips on the pool edge. Apparently this is the type of set we have to do when one of the squad buggers off to Brunei to live!image

• Camlo wrote (see)

hi matt, not sure i get your point about moving up to a full tri.... a sprint still has all the elements!? I find a longer tri less stressful because the pace is a little slower and you have time to think about each bit before the panic of transition. 

Where has the half term gone MC??? Seems like summer hols only just finished! 

cake - are you saying all welsh girls are banshees or just Seren? 

Eldests birthday today so would be rude not to partake in the junk food fest with him.... 

Just Seren if you've not had the plesure yet she's a brilliant checky welsh lass. image

• Well the better half aced her interview today and was offered the job she was after, and so our plans for the next 12 months have altered in the required way in order for us to be able to do Outlaw. So about an hour ago I rang Cancer Research and secured my place. What the hell have I let myself in for?!

• imageimage

Durham take a deep breath work out when you have the time to do stuff and sit down and work out a training plan this weekend. You don't have to 100% stick to it but if you have a plan you can do this mate. image 

Between now and Dec work on your weak point's.

If you want a training ride on the course before the big day I'd be very surpriced if I'm not on it at some point if you want company and there will be other's out there as well. Just make sure you have a few quid ready just in case if you need a wetsuit fixing or have a bike problem it will always happen at the worst time.

See you at the party. image 

• yay, Durham, you will love itimage

I live near the course so should be out on it on the bike come the spring ready for the outlaw half - if I am not then kick my bum someone!! At least I know I have the swim sorted image the run is doable just the biking to work on

• Well done durham

ive been ill for a few days so need to get back on it this weekend. Thinking of signing up to the cotswold sportive sunday

• I've already made a start looking at how I can fit the Fink plan in to my schedule. Going with Just Finish but it'll probably be altered somewhat. Will be doing more cycling than the plan has anyway. Going to have a word with the boss at work and see if I can stop at the gym on the way to work in the morning for swim sessions (need permission as we use the work vans for commuting) which will make life a bit easier.

• So another swim session done today. 45 mins in the pool. Managing 6 lengths at a time and a fairly short recovery. Slowly but surely getting there. To say I couldn't do a length last week I am fairly happy...

Spending the weekend sorting a training plan and deciding on what events to do next year...

• 5 months is the best age.... They generally sleep for prolonged periods and cant move from where you put them. Eldest was 24 which makes me feel ancient! 

Fab job success to Mrs Durham!

Cake - I met Seren briefly at the start of a race once, think she was doing Llanelli and london a week apart which is defo madness! That right Seren? 

Anyone fancy a scenic half in Mid Wales on sunday then look at the Ron Skilton in Llanwrtyd. 

• Having sat down and had a look over the plans, we've both decided we're going to start off on the Intermediate plan and see how it goes. If we find we're struggling to fit it in, we'll drop down to the Just Finish plan for the rest of the training.

Currently in the process of copying it all into a spreadsheet with a sheet for each week that can be printed off to see what we need to be doing. Will then log actual training hours to see how we're getting on against the plan.

The other benefit of it is I'll be able to re-use it for other Iron distance races, just need to change the race date and the dates on the spreadsheet will automatically adjust

• Durham Biker, when you have it in a spreadsheet would you mind sending me a copy... Would save me a load of time...?
  • Aye no problem. Should have it all filled in by the end of the weekend

• DurhamBiker you are organised, I follow the intermediate Fink but from a lot of comments elsewhere on this site I tend to go for longer long bike rides to ensure the mileage is done.  I would be interested in a copy of the spreadsheet as well.

I skipped masters swim this morning as I had a late night last night meeting up with some pirates in London for a social evening, but nipped out for a bike ride as it looks like Mr Steady and I will need to go to visit his dad tomorrow. Did 13 miles in an hour and stayed out of the granny ring on the triple the whole way.

• well done on the bike ride steady

I skipped swimming today too, because I have a cold image

• Durham. I have fink on excel 

if you PM your email ill ping it over

• I've more or less got it in there now to be honest. Just having a play around with how I've got it laid out until I'm happy with it. However I shall pm you and have a look at yours anyway!

• I've ordered the book but do i need a spreadsheet too? 

• Evening all - been mental at work so not as much training as I would like. Also been feeling really down since my standard tri at end of September - can't believe I have to wait for so long for next tri event. Is this normsl? Any suggestions - got bath half booked up but it isn't the same.

runbbishe swim today - couldn't get to threshold pace for 50 m let alone for 200s! Ru. On Friday was fun though - 10.6 at just below 9s and felts comfy - weird

planning on first HIM in 2016.- can anyone suggest a good (flatter) one and an appropriate training plan?

Hope everyone is well! X

• morning

Emma - how about some duathlons over winter? for a HIM - outlaw half is pretty flat, but you need to quick on the draw to get in! Depends where you are in the country and whether you want to travel - if you are Bristol/Bath way then the Cotswolds 113 might be good? I think there is one in Spring and another in the autumn

• So i didn't manage to get out on the bike yesterday but used the Turbo Trainer for the first time. Man that was hard but glad I did something!

Rest day today then going to try for a swim at lunch and run at night.

mathschick - I think Outlaw Half for next year is sold out...? Although that was me just having a quick look!

• Think she's planning for 2016. If you do decide on the Outlaw Half, and miss out on the general entries, it's worth going for the charity places. I've got into this years Outlaw full through Cancer Research, and don't have to pay a penny myself either, just need to raise 750 quid in sponsorship...

• Yep Durhambiker your right!

That is pretty good for the charity given the entry fee. Is that for the Full IM?

Wish I was good enough at swimming to even contemplate that next year!