Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• I have the same turbo trainer as alex and love it. I put an exercise mat underneath it to catch sweat etc. I love the sufferfest videos too image

spin and insanity class for me tonight

yesterday was my first swim for a couple of weeks - oh it was hard!!

• Just back from a 3 mile run and almost got blown over!!!

oh i defo will have a look into them.  i need to decide if i get a turbo trainer or wetsuit first.  Everything is so expensive.

Went for a quick 30 minute swim last night and really went for a distance and i really enjoyed it.  I always really enjoy swimming.  need to get some drill in this week so i am making myself go swimming twice this week, like i used to.  i have been so slack of late.

• alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

MC - it's a good turbo isn't it? Seen a few people on here liked theirs and it has never let me down. Sure the swimming will come back for you!

DD - could you hire a wetsuit for the season? Much cheaper option I believe. Also, think about when you will use your wetsuit compared to a turbo. Turbo you could use instantly. Wetsuit depends on when you plan OW swimming. I'm thinking May time for me, so a few months away.

• Managed to drag myself out of bed at 5.30am for a pre-work 4 mile run. The temptation to turn the alarm off was strong, but I got up. The temptation to turn around and go back into the house and into bed was even stronger upon stepping outside, but I set off and ended up enjoying it. Felt great for it all day too.

Going to try again tomorrow, and then Friday.

• Morning everyone

Training has been going well the last few weeks, runs are up to over an hour now 3 times a week plus swimming a few ties and of course cycling, i try to get out on the weekend for 3hours + then have a spin/turbo in the week.

I have noticed my run times are improving and staying in Z2 so happy chappy.

Case of man flu this week and i sound like Darth Vader walking around, no training since Friday evening so hopefully it will clear up soon. Brought a new pair of running daps saturday aswell which is annoying as everything i walk down the stairs i see a nice shiny box teasing me

• I managed a pool visit on monday and I'll be there again today.  I'm not sure that I'm actually getting any better, but I feel like I am which is a good thing.

I just realised I haven't been out on my bike all year...hmmm...I guess those saturday lie ins are at an end...although on my country road, it'll have to be a mountain bike job, there is far too much detritus from their tractors to be safe for my road bike.

• Morning, sounds like everyone is training hard and getting into a routine.  After giving myself a real kick up the back side last week i managed to drag myself out of my cozy bed and do 30 minutes on my erxercise bike before work.  I am keeping it easy at the moment as i get back into it but really enjoy it. 

My plan is to get up tomorrow morning and go for my second swim this week.  i have been promising myself all year that i would start back up on a thursday morning and this week i am.

Also got a new swiming costume from wiggle.  it was a total bargain and i even got a free mini bag of haribo and a energy bar.  Result!

• Alex - Your swimming is progressing very well.

MC -  well done in Barcelona.

DD - Just train every day and build it up slow, no motivation issues then.image

Re wetsuits and when to buy, myself and OH went to the Bristol Tri Centre last week and picked a couple of last seasons wetsuits for a good price, first time in a wetsuit and using the endless pool was good to try them out. If you wait until later to buy maybe not so many bargains around.

My training is going well, managed 5 x 400m on Monday, first one without warm up 10:30 then the rest 9:5x's.  First time this year out on the bike on Saturday , enjoyed it but where have my bike legs gone.

• Bit of a quiet weekend on the training front. Went out with a friend for a walk/run 5k on Sunday morning, good to have a natter and discover I could run a bit, especially on the bits with no ice.
    Tuesday I did my usual swim session and stayed until the very end as not working but missed Pilates as Mr Steady and I had to go down to Lymington to visit his dad in hospital.

Hoping to get a good turbo session done today and looking forward to a sportive on Saturday.

• evening

alex - yes, good turbo, not expensive and easy to get the bike on and off and not noisy either

steady - sorry to hear about your fil - I am guessing he is pretty ill now, I am not sure of the details, but it must be a difficult time for the whole family

I need to do more cycling I think!

• Thanks for the turbo trainer advice and i am going to look into them.  I am also going to look at hiring a wetsuit.  I think i would get way more use out of a terbo trainer. i had heard that it turns your room black which is a little worrying.

I think my training mojo is coming back as i have managed to get up this morning and did my first early morning swim.  Did a 30 minute drill session and really enjoyed it.  Also been running at lunch time and my legs were not too bad.

• alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

DD - Ah, you mean the deluminator turbo trainer (sorry, lame Harry Potter joke there). Glad your mojo is returning.

Had three days off this week. Work and family things conspired against me Tues and yesterday. However, just had a PB turbo session...rest days are good!

Barry - hope you liked the shop. Really nice staff in there and very helpful. They have been so patient with my numpty questions
    MC - this was the first time I'd been on the bike in a week. I must make it the core of my training and get on it 3 times a week from now on.
    Steady - sorry to hear about your FiL
    Pete - Hope you manage to get out. And feeling like you are getting better is a really good thing!
    Bristol - Hope you feel better soon. Well done on the Z2 training
    Durham - Good effort getting out there!

• FiL has made a slight improvement and I got on the turbo this evening for an hour. I got an ache in the right knee towards the end of the session, hope it is something minor as the sportive on Saturday is 50 miles.

• Steady, I sometimes get twinges from the turbo that I don't get on the road. 

I did 30 mins in the pool on Wednesday and it was predictably rubbish after feeling good on monday. 

Turbo last night, but its so dull. 

Keep at it everyone. Spring is nearly here. 

• well this evening i was planning on going on my exercise bike but not sure as my right hip is really aching today.  not sure if i should rest it or push on. 

Plan for the weekend is to do a bike session on sunday.  i have a busy weekend so can't plan to do too much.  I would have like to bit a swim in on saturday but there is no way i can make it work.

• Meant to add, what has everyone else got planned for the weekend?

• alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

Steady - Hope twinge is nothing and Sportive goes OK!
    Pete - 30 mins better than nothing, ditto the turbo
    DD - Listen to your body, no point in hurting yourself. How about some core and gentle stretching instead? Or gentle bike to begin with and see if ache remains then make a judgement call.

Weekend plans include a school open day, 2k swim and watching rugby tomorrow. Bike ride and Dad's 60th meal on Sunday. Oh and some training planning in there somewhere!

• alex sounds like you have a busy weekend planned.  How many lengths is 2k in a pool?  sure i could have worked that out but being lazy!

Going to carry on doing my exrcises for hip but think i need to think about core strength. well strength everywhere as am weak!

• alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

Depends on pool length...mine is 20m, so 100 lengths. I do sets of 10 at a time, rest 30 secs to a minute (unless I'm waiting for traffic to pass).

Core strength = injury prevention!!

• I am such a calm person usually but i get serious swimmers rage,  i am like a different person and hate traffic!!

I am very bad at core strength so need to get onto that.

have a good weekend as i am off home now.

• Bristol,  my Z2 run times have come down from 11:20 m/m to 9:40m/m stick at it.

This week 1600 mt swim on Tuesday

1 hour turbo session & 15 min crosstrainer on wed.

4.5 mile run on thurs in Z2 , 42 mins @ 9:40 m/m.

Work got in the way today so nothing done. image

I'm hoping to get out on the bike over the weekend.

Train smart Guys & Gals.

• Bally-Bally- ✭✭✭
    Back in the pool tonight, missed Monday's session with a twingey hamstring. Plodded through 1600m in 45 mins, happy enough with that. Didn't feel battered when i got out which presumably means I'm getting fitter or more efficient, either will do!
  • Watching weather forecast closely to plan what to wear for the bike ride tomorrow, pretty certain the rain jacket will be the top layer.

Razor, shame work got in the way today. I am glad you are proof that training by HR works.

Sunday will be a day of whatever happens, happens regarding training, as I have no idea how well the 50 miles will agree with my body.

• morning all

steady - good luck today

I was supposed to be doing a 26 mile run/walk that I had entered on a whim but to be honest I am shattered, haven't seen my kids much this week (and a suicide by a student at school makes that feel more important) and I think my training would be better served by a spin class and a masters swim today then a family afternoon

I'll do a long run tomorrow too image

DD - I got really fed up with idiots in the public swimming sessions which ended up in me joining a masters group at a local swimming club - I am in the slow lane there but I love it and it has really helped with my swimming, and I can judge my progress against the other people I swim with there. 

• alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

Morning all,

MC - sounds horrendous. Your alternative plan sounds a good one.
    Steady - go well and have fun!
    Bally/Razor - good efforts!

Re HR training, I have been trying to keep mine in Z2 and have seen the following improvements in running (all over the same 3.5 mile route) - Max HR 194 at the beginning. Now 188 (since last weekend!)

• 05 Jan - 11:21 min/mile - Avg HR 161
    • 22 Jan - 10:49 min/mile - Avg HR 161
    • 01 Feb - 10:49 min/mile - Avg HR 149
    • 27 Feb - 09:53 min/mile - Avg HR 150

Some people in the pool are so inconsiderate and drive me mad as well. I'm usually in the fast lane but sometimes go down to medium if I feel I am in the way. One such time I moved down and nearly had a head on collision with a guy doing breaststroke slowly. He was aware of me in the lane and I had caught up with him and tracked him for a length (no toe tapping - I'm a nice guy). He hit the wall and just turned around and came straight back towards me instead of moving to the other side or waiting! Really poor awareness and etiquette. I have other examples too, from all sorts of abilities.

• alex - that is a massive improvement! Well done

that is the kind of thing in public pool sessions that drives me mad and drove me away from them! 

• Well done guys on you efforts this week. I was hoping to get out this weekend and put some miles in but im still ill. Coughing some nice green lumps up. Cant even walk up the stairs without getting out of breathe so easy weekend now. 

Im so angry at not being able to train but recover is best

• Steady.......Hope everything went ok on your ride today.

Alex......Great improvement on your running.

Feeling like shit today, feeling hot and started coughing so going to see how I feel tomorrow  image before I decide what, if any training I'll do.

• Hey all - have been quietly plodding along in the background image had a lovely 10k event near me - full of mud and I figured out I'm capable of running down hill quite fast image 

Just a wee run this morning all sorts of not feeling it - it was meant to be a tempo run but the elastic in the undies going was the last straw so more like a fartlek image long run tomorrow 16 ish km in them there hills.

MC and CJ enjoy yourselves out there! MC good call re the family time image

• Bristolsparks and Razor, take care and rest up, recovery is important.

Good running Buttercup.

I survived the sportive, the rain and wind accompanied me, but the rain was not too heavy but the low clouds meant you could not see the top of the hills we ended up in. The evil organisers put in Whitedown Lane which is a long windy and narrow 18% hill which I knew would be too much so I walked up it, but that was the only one.
    45 miles done as I missed a couple of signs and went the wrong way (should have been 50). Just over 3000 feet of climbing.  So quite happy although the body is a bit sore, mainly a grazed and bruised elbow and arm, as I had an embarrassing fall. I clipped in after a stop and managed to over balance and due to the wet road just went flying in front of about 10 men, who did stop and check that I was OK and I even failed to swear which is most unusual.
    The bike will get washed tomorrow as I had to get home, shower then go out to do the weekly shopping.