Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

That sounds nasty Razor and a very sensible decision to stop on your part. There will be other races on better days.

Intermediate bike cuts offs are usually set to ensure roads can re-open to traffic again on time. They're usually just a set time of day. I'm doing IM Barcelona and if this picture shows up it will show you what I'm up against at Barcelona. If I can swim faster the times become more reasonable and it is supposed to be a fast bike course.

/members/images/712401/Gallery/bike_course_and_cut_off_times.jpg

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Does walking up 3 sets of escalators on  the London Underground count as cross training?

I have bought some Lidl running capri pants in the hope that I will start running soon.

I was thinking of going out for a little bike ride this weekend but as most of the roads around us are closed on Sunday and only one way in and out of the village, it looks like I will have to do it Saturday and hope that not everyone else is out and about in their cars..

• steady -  I find walking up loads of stairs ridiculously hard! So, yes, it counts!

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Today I did Week 1 day 1 of Couch to 5k, felt OK but very tired this evening, so having an early night.

I may or may not have a rest day tomorrow.

• Rest for a few days for me I think. Did a 16 mile ride into Newcastle yesterday for a few pints. Got about 13 miles in and my knee started to feel dodgy again so it's in need of more rest. Was nice just riding out without worrying about average speeds or distances though, and the 7 or 8 pints before getting the train back were vital "feed station" training sessions

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I have cycled. Just 30 minutes but it felt good after so long but 30 minutes was enough, I may need to sit in the garden this afternoon and have a nap.

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

Just finished my first tri the Bassetlaw sprint in Worksop Nottinghamshire,

Overall it was really good, decided I was going to do a tri on the 31st of May and did my first cycling since I was probably 14 on the 6th of June (Jesus wept how my bum hurt).

Finished in 1.25 and a bit, almost 10 minute swim which was rubbish, got too excited to start off with and sprinted off forgetting technique just arms and legs two to the dozen and within 2 lengths I was fighting for breath and wondering if I should switch to breast stroke (which I'm sure would have been faster). Managed to settle into a rhythm but the damage had been done.

Cycle was about 48 minutes, 3 problems during the bike, I went the wrong way out of transition (time wasted) disaster at a cross roads where the toggle of my elastic lace got caught in my pedal and the marshal had to help me out and then I miscounted the racks trying to rerack and wasted valuable seconds, was still pleased with my time though.

During the run I felt really good started catching people up after the disaster with the bike, was just running back for the second lap when I got the shout up the hill for the second lap straight on for the finish, issue was it wasn't the same route as before it was different and they were BOTH up a bloody hill and neither were straight on, I picked wrong but could hear my Mam after being conditioned to hear that shrill voice for 30 years 'turn around you prat you haven't done yet' (might have been something that sounded like prat). Reckon that must have put on 30 seconds to my run and the woman that I'd been having a decent race was off in the distance so I was disappointed about that.  Still finished the 5k in just over 25 minutes which was a PB for me. 

Overall a really well run event just two little gripes the toilet situation was not good enough, needed some portaloos or something and they needed some signs out to say how far you'd gone, there was loads of arrows pointing you to places why not some 1 mile, 2 mile signs. 

I know I can do better just by avoiding silly mistakes. Looking forward to the next one.

• well done simo! And some nice weather to do it in for a change image

I have done nothing yet today, but masters swim tonight and might see if I get chance for a little bike ride when we get home from the in-laws!

• Nice one Simo, a decent time that.

I decided to go for a run this morning as I felt I had run to get out of my system after Outlaw, I ran 5 miles at a good pace for me 8.53 min mile avg and felt good.
  • Well done Simo, good effort for a first!

Well done for getting out Razor, it'll be a few days before I dare to try a run on my knee. Debating entering a sprint before the season is out just to get a finish in before the end of the year. Currently watching IM Bolton and getting flashbacks to the horrible rain we had last weekend. Just cleaned up the mtb and sorted out a puncture ready for a spin to the pub later, not been on that bike since March.

• DB,  Just needed to get out and stretch my legs so I'm happy with my pace. I have also been looking for a sprint to do before the season ends' have you looked at the Sundowner?

• Nope not looked at that one, was thinking of the Last of The Summer Tri in Holmfirth

• Sundowner looks good though, would prefer an OW swim to a pool.

Though just realised it's the same weekend that Mixed Grill is doing Helvellyn, so it's out. Last of the Summer Tri is October so think that's the more likely option

• been out for a little jaunt on my mtb, sadly I had to fix a puncture on it first - must have picked up the massive thorn when I was almost home from my last ride. Took me ages to find the puncture repair kitimage off to masters swim tonight - be the first swim since outlaw - hopefully it won't be a tough session!

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I did my first swim for 2 months, only managed 750m but it is a start, thank goodness it was in a pool so I could stop, stand up and have a rest frequently.

• Every little helps Steady

• well done steady, just build back up gently

I went to running club last night for the first time in ages - I am always worried I won't be able to keep up! Need to make sure that when I get back from holiday I start going more regularly! 

• Sounds like everyone is doing well and recovery is all on track image

Things are ramping up for me now, 2 months to go image I now start every session with a healthy amount of fear but once I'm actually swim/bike or running it all appears to go OK.

Is it normal to feel scared this far out from the big day? It's kind of a good scared if you know what I  mean, it's certainly motivating me to keep up with the training. But I honestly feel that my chances are at best 50/50

Braved a new beach for a swim last night, learned how to get out through some fairly decent surf and once out it was fine despite 3-4ft swells. However the tide was against me so 30mins hard swimming saw me actually drift backwards 1/4 of a mile image Hopefully the tide will be kinder on race day.

• 2 months is the point at which I started to feel doubts about Outlaw. 1 month was when I really started to get nervous

• Started new training cycle getting ready for the Glencoe Marathon Gathering in October - left knee a little bit hinky after Outlaw but hoping that will work itself out asap!

• hurrah, I've got off my lazy ass and gone for a run.  I was intending to go for a cycle but when I got changed I discovered my bike helmet was still at home so I did a slow 5K.  And now I'm eating a salad!  Although I look very red faced and sweaty which is not a good look for the office.

• Buy a desk fan. I've been popping out for a run every couple of days at work in my lunch hour. Until I bought I desk fan I was melting afterwards. It's really not a good look when you've soaked through your shirt (even after having a cool shower).

£15 WELL spent:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-df1215w-12-desk-fan-rim-grille-shiny-white/521-4426.prd?skuId=521-4426

• hi all

it is bit hot here (Portugal) but I have been swimming in rivers and got lost running this morning image

• Got out for a nice 25 mile ride on Saturday, first time out on the road bike since Outlaw. Shouldn't have gone out really as seem to have some sort of virus that is playing havoc with my throat, but the itch was there to get back on the bike and a mate wanted to get out. Had our first attempt at a local climb, Peth Bank, that features in the top 100 British road climbs. Starts off at 20% for the initial section, has a bit of a drop partway up, and then climbs again averaging at 8%. The initial section kills you off making the "easy" bit seem much harder. Found some lovely roads though, can't wait to get out again.

• FT,

I wouldn't be allowed to bring a fan in to the office...they are a bit strict.  Still up here in Aberdeen, it's not often that I'll run in the sunshine..

• wait till you get to Texas pete! But you will have aircon then image

• Thanks for the reply Durham it's nice to know this its normal to feel like this.  I'm now overloading on the bike (well that's what i'm told its called) and it seems to be working, average speed is increasing and I'm going up hill more easily and in a higher gear.

Also had my last bike fit and I'm very happy with it now and it was comfy for a 5hr ride on Saturday and still comfy for this mornings jaunt so I'm calling it good.

Now I just need to knock 2mins per mile off my run pace and I may be in with a squeak of finishing image

I'm off for spalash in the sea at Gorleston again this evening image Thenit's a bit of a cut back week as I'm at Monster Middle in Ely on Sunday, I really hope it goes well and gives me a confidence boost.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Good luck for Sunday AliBear, I am sure you will be fine.

I have made a decision about Outlaw Half next year - I am not going to even try entering. This also applies to being part of a relay team for the full.

After another 30 minute swim that left me tired and having to stop every 50m, the recovery is obviously going to take much longer than I had hoped and I do not want to put myself under any pressure to return to training for a major endurance event. It is a bit depressing but my overall health has to come first.

I plan on doing some swims, if possible a HM and the Ride London next year.
    Also with Mr Steady still getting better slowly I have little time to do any training. It is still a novelty in actually having every other weekend to now do things that have been put off for years, I want to be able to be able to help out as we work well as a team doing practical DIY and gardening stuff.

• Ali - good luck for Sunday, hope the weather is good for you

Steady - sounds like a sensible plan, no point in entering anything if you aren't sure how long it is going to take to get back to normal. Also, it is nice to be able to spend some time at weekends doing family and other stuff!

• I think you'll have some Pirate company Ali image Good Luck, you'll beast it though!!! 

Most jealous Maths... Looks lovely out there image 

Bit of a turbo and swim tonight.  Nasty nights again at the weekend image