Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• DB, I was looking forward to it but it was hard work and didnt have any hills in it.

Nice one on the bike mate , not been on mine since Outlaw.

• Don't need my bike legs until Sept next year really but I'm keen to maintain the mileage and get in more big rides before then. Planned out a route to double the mileage I'm doing midweek, as currently I rush home, get changed, jump on the bike and meet the other lads mid-ride, then peel off as we pass my house. Thinking of sticking with 'em back to the start point, then taking the scenic route back home. 40 miles on a Tuesday night should be plenty...

Still fancy having a crack at the Fred Whitton route some point next year...

• Thats a tough un mate.

• I have been queen of faffing tonight. Thought I would swap the turbo wheel onto the bike as the weather is getting worse and deffo not riding in dark evenings.
    First faff came as I changed the quick release skewer and managed to drop a spring, lots of searching on slightly grubby garage floor to find. Put wheel on, get hands dirty as usual, wash hands.
    Then put bike on turbo but the bit at the back that does the resistance does not touch with wheel, so bike off turbo and 15 mins of faff to sort it out.
    Finally got on bike and did 30 minutes, slow and hot as also forgot to set the fan up.
    Will do better next time, honest.

• No duathlon for me now this weekend. An email from the organisers came through last night with the unsurprising news that it's been postponed due to the weather forecast for Sunday. Didn't really fancy running and riding through a forest during the tail end of a hurricane so that's probably for the best.

Been wide awake for the past hour so might drag myself down to Parkrun now that I don't need to save myself for tomorrow. A challenging bike ride may be in order for tomorrow if the weather isn't too bad here in Durham.

• morning

I am still suffering from a horrible cold so haven't done any training all week, bit fed up but no point getting stressed about it

• Hope you're feeling better soon maths. Thought I had a cold coming on last night but I killed it with beer.

Got down to Parkrun, and although I wasn't really feeling it managed a reasonable time (for me). About 20 seconds off my pb according to Strava, but that has my average pace down as 8:55, despite all of my mile splits being quicker than 8:55... Just waiting on my official time as apparently there are Parkrun server issues today. Was a good exercise in keeping going when I didn't want to anyway.

• Whinlatter Duathlon had been rearranged for Jan 31st so an extra couple of months training for it
  • Off the hook for now DB.

I did my longest swim this morning, 64 lengths so 1600m in total. Had a Trek flapjack bar before, maybe that helped more than what I have previously eaten before a swim.

• Well need to get plenty of running and mountain biking done between now and then.

Official time for parkrun was 27:17, just 5 seconds away from my pb. If I'd known I would have pulled another 6 seconds of more from somewhere...
  • well done CJ

well done DB!

I managed a 2 mile run with my son in the crazy wind this evening, was going to do another few miles but had a bit of a twinge in my leg so stayed in after that

• A chest infection has laid me low for over a week, going to try running for about 45 minutes tonight

• Take it easy and recover.

Parkrun done again, nearly decided not to bother but dragged myself out of the house on this rather chilly morning. About 1.5k in one of my shoelaces came undone so I had to stop and do it back up. Somehow still managed to knock 13 seconds off my PB, though tried to go too fast too soon near the finish trying to catch up with someone I knew. So my new 5k pb is 26:59

• wow, well done DB!

simo - take it easy and make sure you are properly better before dong anything

back to spinning and swimming this morning. There are a couple of annoying women in the spinning class who chat all the way through it and even make phone calls! One of them gets there extra early to save bikes for her and her friend and then they walk in after the class has started. It is really winding the rest of us up!! 

not really looking forward to getting up and running in the cold tomorrow!

• Meh what's the point if you can chat through it? This is one of the things that puts me off using gyms etc. Don't cope well with the idiots

• I made the most of the crisp cold sunny morning and went for a run/walk. Enjoyed it and then did some clearing up in the garden.

Simo take it careful.

Well done DB

MC I would get frustrated with peeps behaving like that in a spin class, the ones I have done in the past are run by a cyclist so no chance of talking unless it is during a short recovery.

Will hopefully turbo on Monday as Saturday I failed to get up in time for swimming and then did housework rather than a ride/turbo.

• well done steady! 

yes, the women in the spin class are annoying everyone. I won't be there next Saturday so hopefully by the week after someone might have had a word with them. 

I failed to get up in time to get a long run in this morning, and actually woke with a bit of a headache - I think the cold is lingering

• So far this week I've done a slow steady run on Monday evening, about 4 miles around the 11:00/mile pace, and then cycling club ride last night. Was too warm due to wearing a jacket that was too thick and struggled on all the climbs. The main climb of the night I was over a minute slower than my pb, normally I'm within 15 seconds of it. Need to get some proper kit sorted that I can layer for the desired comfort without being too warm.

• well done DB

I have mainly done some slow runs - seem to be getting slower but I think that is since my cold....

• I failed to get on the turbo tonight, after a bad news day at work ( possible relocation to Essex).  I ended up having a cup of coffee and a natter with my neighbour instead. So that is 2 days running I have not done what I had planned.

Must try harder.

• oh CJ sorry to hear about the work news. 2 days skipped is no big deal in the long run! Just try not to let it stretch to 2 weeks, months...

• Work news was a shock as we had heard the lease was up next year on the building and management had informed us that we would be relocating somewhere in London. Therefore the sudden announcement of locating to Harlow Essex was gob smacking to say the least.

Back in the office tomorrow as been out to a NHS trust today so will find out more gossip.

• First run for 3 weeks and felt ok 5 miles done. Found it hard to stay in Z2 though, felt like I was running with my shoe laces tied together at times so pace was down by at least a minute and a half per mile 10:30m/m, another 3 or 4 run s and HR and pace should be back to normal.

• hi all

well done razor

I have been feeling a bit crappy and not done much really - I don't think I am over the cold I had a few weeks ago. DNS a half marathon yesterday and haven't been swimming either image

• It was thanks giving over here last week so I got a couple of days off and actually got out twice for little runs which was nice. The office has a running team/competition thing where you have to sign up and agree to do 6 races in the year. It sounds a good motivation and my boss has a team...and she'll be in charge of renewing my contract...so I'm thinking it'll be perfect motivation. 

Keep going everyone...don't let the weather get you down...

• I ran this morning, well 10 mins of run walk but it's a star. All thanks to my lovely physio who also does acupuncture and did something to give me some energy yesterday. After months of feeling shite I'm actually happy and awake and have energy today image  Fantastic image I was really starting to get quite down about it all.

• Pete, best suck up to the boss and get your brownie points.image

Ali, keep it up the fitness will come back.

Maths, get some whiskey and hot lemonade down your neck it will help;-)
  • MC, hope your cold is getting better, I have been lurgified for over a week now, fed up as all I have managed is a Pilates class. The cough is bugging me along with a sometimes bunged up nose.
    I am not going to rush back to training as I do not want to tempt fate and end up so fatigued that I need even longer to rest and recover.

• Ali - well done!

CJ - get better soon and you are wise to take it easy

I did nothing all weekend and still felt rubbish Mon and Tues. Doesn't help that I insist on going to work! Anyway, had a short run/walk this morning, so slow but lovely to be out and did feel better for getting some fresh air

• I have been going to work and that is quite enough, so will be sensible even though part of me is wanting to do something active.
    Away for the weekend so no chance of doing too much.