Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• I had already driven up this particular bit of road, but my brain blocked it out. M&M was just ahead and as he rounded the corner at the bottom of it I heard him say "Oh for fu...". I went "Ah, yeah, I forgot about this."

• Thanks all - 10 miles in the bag! The last mile and a bit I really struggled but still have over 4 weeks to train...just to add 3 miles and hills now!
  • well done backs

I have failed to do the long run I had planned - slept badly and woke feeling crappy, will be doing a little run this evening - better than nothing. Planning a bike ride with eldest son tomorrow which should be fun

• Well done Becks and Puffy!

Hope you managed to get out on your bike Maths.

Well, I'm feeling very proud of myself right now because yesterday I did my first open water swim!  800m in Clumber Park.  Thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely be doing it again.  Found it quite a bit harder than pool swimming and I need to get faster to be able to keep up with everyone else, but since I couldn't swim at all at the start of the year I'm pretty darn pleased with myself! image

• Good work on your first OW swim Mrs L!

Went for a swim on Friday evening with Little Clown, and realised that currently, even in a pool, my swimming is terrible. No endurance, technique has gone down the pan and the pace is miles off what it was last year. Clocked up a total of 2k, mainly in blocks of 400m, with a couple of little races as it turns out Little Clown can be quite competitive... And I'll hold my hands up and say she beat me every time. I have now joined Manchester Triathlon club, and will hopefully be starting their swim sessions either this week or next!

Also got a few events entered as well now. A stupid 45 mile ultramarathon in January which seemed like a brilliant idea at the time (might have been drunk), a 10k in December (and to make it a suitable training run, on Little Clown's advice, I'm going to run the 19 miles or so to the start...) and the Greater Manchester Marathon.

• Well done MrsL - you must live somewhere near me? Clumber Park is about half an hour from where I am.I find it harder to swim in a wetsuit but you get used to it

mallow - good luck with the ultra!!

Yes, last Monday had a great ride with my boy, about 3 hours on trails, to Sherwood Pines, round some of the MTB trails there and home. Haven't been on a bike for ages and my bum was not happy. It was even less happy on Tuesday when I went out cycling with my other son...

• image Nice one Mrs L open water is cool I hope you had a cuppa in the cafe after.If any one is interested Mrs Cake is doing this in a few weeks linky Luckily I have to work that day so won't be forced to do it as well.

I to had a Clumber episode today I Saw a Clumber Spaniel and got to play with it I had to jump over a barrier to do it and might have bemused the owner a little in the process it was mid half marathon.imageimage

M Puffs you should know Little Clown will always kick your arse. I might be looking at the ultra thingy as well possibly ish just a little depending on if equinox turns out to be a laugh it does end in london village through and that's so far south I might not be able to cope with the heatwave?

• I did an OW swim on Saturday, my first this year, went with a friend for their first OW swim so it was nice and relaxed and only 800m, the wetsuit did fit very snuggly.

Sunday was a short lumpy bike ride, then visiting my Dad.

• *waves - I was said SteadyCJ friend for first OW swim. Have finally bitten the bullet and this weekend will finally be my first OW event, as part of an aquabike. Baby steps...

• well done CJ and susannah!

Have fun at the weekend Susannah

I have the running club's inter-club 5 mile challenge tomorrow - might not beat the 73 year old man this time....

• Cakey boy I don't think the heat will be an issue in January mate. And you cheeky git on the bike I'd kick her arse
  • OMG, first day back at Pilates class tonight. Did not realise I was so tight in my back and legs and the core muscles had gone to mush.

No chance of any exercise tomorrow as it is our wedding anniversary and I have been told we are going out for a meal, I may even go mad and have some booze.

• Enjoy it Steady! And happy anniversary!

Did 2 runs today, both stupidly short (0.3 miles each)... But it was just to the new gym near home and back for my induction. Doesn't open for actual use until the 12th but it's big, it's got plenty of kit and it'll be open 24/7.

• Steady - I think most of my niggles come from being 'tight as a ducks arse'. Something I must work on. Hope you had a lovely anniversary. 

At present I eat, sleep, work and train. Weekend of it then slightly more relaxed. Bring on Mallorca image

• You'll be all good MrsD, I'll be there to cheer you on!
  • image Please say you will have pompoms and a cheerleader's outfit? image

• Well done CJ and Susannah!  Maths - I don't actually live anywhere near there!  Just thought it made more sense to drive 3 hours to a lake instead of using the one 10 minutes away! image  How did the 5 mile challenge go?

24 hour gym Mallowpuff?! image

I've managed to sign myself up to a big swim thing.  It's swimming the distance of the channel in 12 weeks, which works out at 118 lengths a week for 12 weeks.  It will be a massive achievement for me as I'm quite a new swimmer. And I believe there is a medal in it too, which is the important thing!

• that big swim sounds interesting - any links?

• http://www.aspirechannelswim.co.uk/

It's a sponsored thing, so no entry fee and no minimum sponsorship and it's done on trust so you log your own lengths, but if you raise £25 in sponsorship you get a medal.

And there's a leader board! Gotta love a leader board! image

• MrsL - you must be mad! But Clumber Park is lovely and tomorrow I am running a half marathon there image

I didn't make it to the 5 mile run on Tuesday which was a shame, but things got a bit manic at home

• Evening Maths whats the half in clumber? *jumps up and down all excited* and how did you do?

Spent the weekend down south for the mother in laws birthday sadly didn't spend enough down there as would have liked but have to w**k Monday. Did get in a checky half this morning in race kit for next weekend as a dry run. I managed to run with Meldy for a bit and say hello to a curtain pocket sized kiwi. My half time was cr*p for me but had to protect the legs.

Because of someone walking across the tracks got to get some training in as well as had to pop to banbury on the bike to get a train home.image

• hi cake

it was a race for life half marathon, and I was a bit rubbish, but I had run on Saturday evening which wasn't such a good idea! It was also 13.7 miles and I had a bit of a sense of humour fail during the extra .6 of a mile! And the finish wasn't at the finish line which was bizarre! But a nice run, I just struggled. Good goody bag, but I am thinking I should swap from the full to the half for nottingham in 2 weeks time!

• Well I'm back home after helping out at the Brutal Triathlons in Llanberis. Crikey that was a long weekend. Half, Full and Double races. It's weird marshalling the run from the swim to T1 and still cheering swimmers through as the first runners are heading out onto the course... Walked over 15 miles yesterday just around the event field over the course of 18 hours! Didn't get to bed until 4am, then up at 8 to pack up the tent and head home. Good practice for Equinox.

Might have accidentally accepted the offer of a place in the Brutal Full next year for my efforts as well... That's going to hurt.

• Good work by those running,  marshalling and cycling to train stations.

I did a 10 mile TT on Saturday morning, hard work but enjoyable at the same time. Seemed very posh with a man to hold the bike for you to get a decent start, had to relax as it felt very scary. I slowed down too much for the first junction then got into the hang of it, sweeping through the others without touching the brakes. I managed to hit a top speed of 39.4mph downhill and averaged 15.1 for the whole thing which is super speedy compared to the usual 12mph, shows how much holding an aero position helps. Good cakes and hot drinks afterwards.

Spent the rest of the weekend puppy sitting. Did nip over to the Bacchus race at Denbies vineyard but only saw one pirate.

Still thinking about what events to do next year.

• wow well done CJ!! 

good work mallow! Marshalling/supporting is shattering

managed a very short run in the heat this evening

• Aye it certainly is. Did 39 hours between Friday afternoon and early hours Monday morning. Hugely rewarding though. Had confirmation of my free entry for next year earlier and was asked if I'd help out at future events as well.
  • Right, that's my suffering over with now until December. Equinox24 was a blast for the most part, though would have been so much more enjoyable if I had done a reasonable amount of running recently (ie more than 2 6 mile runs in the past 3 months). Did 3 laps of the 10k course, 1 full daylight, 1 as the sun was setting, and 1 in the dark. First lap was done as a steady run, second lap involved a bit of walking, third lap was nearly all walking and falling out with myself.

Couple of days of recovery today and tomorrow, then up early for a 6.30am flight to Mallorca on Wednesday to support the Pirates racing out there. Got a few runs planned whilst over there too ready to start building up for Country To Capital...

• well done all you nutters at equinox. I missed the last tri of the season because I was feeling crap - not sure if it was a bug or just exhastion, and did nothing all weekend, bit worrying with York mara coming up but hopefully I will get round