Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Can anyone lend me some legs?

Did Equinox as well did ok but not what I had hoped but had a right laugh anyway with a bunch of mates both pirate and normal people. Best bit of the weekend would have to be through chatting to a bloke from one of the relay teams from a local club boldmere bullets and discovering I was one of his postmen. The look of horror on his face when I said about having to work today was priceless. imageimage 

((((maths)))) Listen to your body chuckles if you need a rest you need a rest.

• I need a rest Cake, but I didn't do any running at the weekend, just managed to fall off my bike (another fail to unclip in time) and then left my phone in kit and washed it, so no mobile for a few days. image

Only bruised and sore but feel like I have been run over, so skipped this mornings swim and started work early instead.

Hoping to meet up with Dustboy and Soup Dragon for a ride at the weekend.

• (((Cake))) - you're a fecking legend!  Loved that you got your wee pin!  You so earned it!  I had a lot of fun at Equinox - 3 wee runs for me - new adventure with a head torch and running at 12.30am - never done that before!  Lets call it a learning experience image

And don't worry Grumpy-Puff we won't leave you behind.  Cause you know if you do January you can do EQ24 solo....

• cake - hope you managed work ok today! are you doing Nottingham this weekend too?

CJ - what a nightmare washing your phone! Hope you can dry it out ok

resting all weekend seems to have been a good idea - had a great run last night, and another slower plod this evening

• Grumpy Puff now is it? You didn't see me at my worst! I'm not doing solo though, it's a week after the bloody Brutal, woman! I'll be in a team!
  • MC, the phone is dead, but shiny new one arrived, so just waiting for the changeover of number as I don't want the hassle of a new number and spend time learning how this new one works (need a teenager for a few hours to teach me).

• mathschick wrote (see)

cake - hope you managed work ok today! are you doing Nottingham this weekend too?

Hell yes won't pass up a chance to say hello our kid. image image

Steady hope your ok.

Grumpy puff team then? Looks like Bookie is going to do a solo next year the way she is talking. 

• I was going to do the full marathon this weekend but going to change down to the half - just haven't got a full one in me right now, but hopefully will be able to dig deep enough in York in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I will manage to find you two before the start!

• Should be hanging around the obligatory bacon wagon before the race so should be easy to spot I'm not exactly going to pb sunday so ever.

• All back from Mallorca and full of a cold. So I've entered the Milltown to Moors Half Marathon in Oldham in 2 weeks time. It'll be fine.
  • I have not done any exercise for nearly a week, apologies to the training gods, but that is life. Well Friday night was set to be a quiet night which ended up picking up dad from his local A&E at 1am to take home, so I got home about 3am. Not used to that time of night in my old age. So shattered on Saturday but no lie in as the car was due for an MOT at 9am.

The car passed with flying colours. Sunday's bike ride was skipped to go to Srewfix Live, not my idea of great fun, but Mr Steady and I spent money on loads of things we wanted and got massive discount, LED downlights for the kitchen, anti vibration work gloves, sockets with USB slots, you get the idea. Then in the afternoon the second headache of the weekend, which steadily became worse.

I took to bed with earache and this morning ended up at the GP, who looked in my ears and diagnosed an ear infection, so now on a week of strong anti-biotics.

So this week is a recovery week in more ways than one.

• (((steady)))

also (((hugs))) for everyone in Mallorca who had to suffer the storm from hell. 

• Oh dear Steady, hope you're feeling better now.

I've done a nice easy 4 mile run with a few walking breaks as I was with a friend who doesn't run much.  Very enjoyable, although a bit windy along the prom.  I also seem to have entered another half marathon in January.

Been very much enjoying reading the race reports from Mallorca, very exciting!  Huge well done to everyone who was there racing or supporting - what unfortunate weather.

• ((steady)) get better soon

ooh MrsL - which half are you doing in Jan?

I haven't done much the last couple of days, and have been feeling a little crappy - like the start of a cold, I blame all those snotty/sneezy/coughing kids I work with

cake - sorry I looked out for you and bookie at Nottingham but didn't see you image  wasn't really that impressed with the route for the half really, and I am glad I switched down to the half, because when  I looked at the 2nd half I was equally unimpressed -  that must have been a tedious couple of hours! And lack of water at mile 9 was rubbish. Anyway, did it, probably won't bother again, but actually I had a good run

• Sorry as well chuckles missed you to image 

Just in case on the half front I've just been looking up clowne half for this year and they have hoody's as this years finisher's prize if anyone is interested it's a cracking low key race with lots of countryside and a bit of hill. Just need to negotiate yet another weekend away with the better half. image  

• I was thinking about Clowne too, going to see how this month goes, currently feeling under the weather and have York marathon on Sunday image don't want to DNS but will see how I feel

• This under the weather lark is no fun is it? Still got the lurgy hanging on and I need to get out and do some training, but don't want to set myself back by going out before I'm really up to it. Also need to hit the new gym, but it currently seems to be fairly busy due to the fact it's only just opened. At least this enforced break will allow people to lose some enthusiasm...

• Maths - it's the Wirral Way half.  Only a small race and I think it's sold out already!  Will have to work even harder to make sure I'm not last!  Hope you're feeling better now.

Also entered the ballot for London again, so currently waiting for my 5th 'sorry' magazine!

• Hope you're feeling better Steady!!!! And looking after yourself on your REST week. 

Well done all at Equinox. Were hoping to make it next year.

MrsL looks like your training is building nicely image

Maths - I hope you're managing to get some broad spectrum training in ready for Outlaw Half. You will smash it this year!!!!!

My Mallorca didn't go so well. Lots of vomiting and not a lot of finishing. So no IM tattoo as yet image Next year I'll be my year!!!!!!!! 

• ((MrsD)) just think of everything that you have achieved this year - you have had a great year actually

was supposed to do the York marathon today, but had been ill during the week, we went to York but really wasn't well enough today, didn't want to collapse around the course, so just had a chilled day with OH before picking the kids up from the grandparents this evening. Gutted not to do the run but just one of those things. 

Next week is the Stilton Stumble - 10k with cheese in the goodie bag - I don't want to miss that!

MrsD - am getting back to routine with the swimming and my bike is serviced and on the turbo ready for lots of winter turboing!

• MrsD, that must have been so difficult to not finish, but you still did amazingly well to get that far.  Next year will be your year.

Sounds like a good decision Maths, save your energy for the cheese race! (I read that as 10kg of cheese in the goodie bag at first! image)

• Just got my Sorry magazine, so no London marathon for me.  Think that's my 5th one now.  Not really bothered about the race, I just don't like being told I can't do something!

Did anyone get in?

• I didn't enter the ballot for London - I am just not interested in doing it - I don't like crowds! I am doing the Longhorn marathon in April - near Nottingham if you are interested, trail, fab course and brilliant organisation and medal. Ultra and half options too

10kg of cheese would be amazing image

• I entered the ballot but a) realised they've still got my old address, so I'll have to wait for it to get forwarded on, and b) I've entered Manchester anyway. So even if I've got in I won't be doing it.

On the subject of running, I think I'm going to sack off the Milltown to Moors half on Sunday. Did my new local parkrun this weekend and found it tough going as it's a lumpy one. The Milltown half is proper lumpy, so think I'm better off going out for a steady training run on my own terms instead.

• Mallowpuff if you have had the lurgy it is sensible to not do a half but just do a steady training run.

I went out on the bike, gentle 25 miles, did not fall off but at times felt awful so another week of rest for me.

Mrs D, you did well to get to the start of your big race, it just did not come right on the day, sure you will smash it next year.

• mallow - sometimes a steady run alone is a better idea than a race

just found a gentle 5 miler tough going - which confirms to me that I was right not to do a marathon yesterday. OH has said I should enter York again next year and go back and smash it

• Puffy - I was going to say 'man up and just do it', but everyone else is being so nice and giving out far more sensible advice so you should listen to them instead. image

Everyone seems injured or lurgified at the minute - must be the time of year.  Hope you're all back on form soon.

4 mile run for me yesterday with my lovely friend.  Hardly noticed the miles passing as we were having a good old moan and putting the world to rights! image

I'm considering the Liverpool Rock n Roll marathon as I did the half last year and it was lots of fun.  It's the end of May though, so need to decide which triathlon I'm doing first and see if it fits around that.

• That thought crossed my mind, but a training run on my own terms would be far more beneficial. I'd get round the half, but it'd be slow, frustrating and painful and it would set me back.
  • Is everyone ill? I have been.
    Today was the first day of any exercise for what feels likes weeks and weeks. One hour very gently MTB ride with Mr Steady.

Trying to tweak my diet in the hope of weight loss but all it seems to have done is give me indigestion at night.

• hi steady, well done on the ride, bad news about the indigestion - what did you eat?

I am recovering from flu so haven't been up to much at all image