Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Excellent work Lollipop! Not falling off the bike is always the best plan. It occurred to me the other day that the last time I rode a bike was in August, shocking stuff.

Had a poor week this week. Long run didn't go to plan last weekend and combined with some other factors it resulted in my mojo disappearing. Back on track from tomorrow with the running. Doing a 10k on Sunday, and the original plan had been to run the 20 miles to the start first as well. After my long run not going as planned last week, I've decided that's a daft idea as I could end up stranded in the middle of nowhere, and miss the race. So new plan long run on Saturday, and do the 10k as a recovery run on tired legs.

Need to have a bit of a rethink on my training plan shortly to start incorporating cycling and swimming back in to it as well...

• well done lollipop!

I am starting to get better and did the Edwinstowe 10k today, lovely run through Sherwood Forest, took it easy and just ran to feel, it was chilly but a nice day and a well organised race

• I finally got outdoors to do some exercise on Sunday. 40 minutes very gentle bike ride with Mr Steady. Then in the afternoon a 4 mile stroll with friends and dog. Tired afterwards but the cold is still hanging around and at my annual asthma review I was told to not exercise until well and rebooked to see the nurse in 6 weeks.

The only good news is that I have not put any weight on, but that will be due to a frequently disappearing appetite.

• steady - take care! I feel like I am starting to recover  after 2 months of being ill with one thing and another

• Good idea to change the long run Puffy.  It's horrible when a bad run throws you off like that.  Have you got a triathlon lined up?

Well done on the 10k Maths!  Glad you're feeling better now.

Take care Steady, it's frustrating, but better to rest if you're not well.

I've been out on a lovely group bike ride today.  Almost 17 miles with cycling there and back.  It was quite slow and there was a big stop at a cafe in the middle, but it was good fun and I'll go again.  Also signed up for a 62 mile bike ride in March because, well, why not?! image

• Think my next tri will be a sprint tri in Exeter in May. Talked an old work mate into having a go so going to go down and do one with him. Only a week before the Grafman half iron though so I've got a good excuse for losing...

• Is anyone doing the Outlaw half next year?  Just wondering.  No reason.  Nothing to see here.

• Nottingham or Holkham? Either way I won't be, just going to be at the Full in a relay.

• lollipop - I am doing the Nottingham one - are you?

• Tatton Yule Yomp 10k done and dusted. Slow one as I was keeping Little Clown company and she's full of the lurgy. So it was run a bit, walk a bit, cough up a lung for a bit and repeat. Just over 1 hour 28 for a lovely plod through a nice park in lovely weather. I was even a gentleman and let her cross the line infront of me...
  • well done mallow. 

I have had a headache all day so have done very little, reading through reports for school and getting fed up with kids and OH....

• I've had a headache all day too. Still got it. Might be related to the pint of Guinness, bottle of red wine, and then 4 large rums I had last night. Some folk are bad influences.

• Well done Puffy!

Maths - I don't know what I've done!  I had a bit of a breakdown and decided to enter the Outlaw half, but there were only charity places left.  No problem, I rang and spoke to the charity and signed up.  Aarrgghh!  Scary enough.

Then today I got an email from them confirming my place in the actual full Outlaw! image  Gah!  There's no way I can do that!  I've only just learnt to swim!  I was pushing my luck entering the half!

Just on hold to them now to try and sort it out! image

• Panic over!  Just spoke to a lovely lady who has sorted it all out - although she found it so hilarious that she had to put me on hold because she was laughing!

So now I 'only' have to do the half.

I think I need a lie down!

• That's one way of making the Half seem easierimage

• Been out on my bike this morning.  Only did 12 miles and managed to fall off twice attached to my bike - once on each side!  Does it eventually get better or should I admit defeat and switch back to flat pedals?

Hope school's nearly over for you Maths - ours don't break up until 22nd this year and the teachers are going insane!

• It'll get better Lollipop. I've never had a tumble on the road bike, but that's because I got it all out of my system on mountain bikes in earlier life.

Man flu has struck me down this week. Got a gym session done on Tuesday, with all intentions of having a good week. Woke up Wednesday feeling a bit ropey, and was left looking after my 2 year old and 2 month old nephews for a few hours. Woke up yesterday feeling dead and spent most of the day in bed watching Netflix. Felt slightly better today but still not great, so reading and Netflix have been the order of the day once again. Already scrapped the idea of a long run on Sunday regardless of how I feel. Bleurgh. Felt so up for it all again after the weekend as well.

• ((mallow))

lollipop - that is hilarious! Are you doing the Nottingham one then? 

I have a 2 day event, it is a case of you have 6 hours to do as many laps as you like each day. I am not doing all 6 hours, but want to do a half marathon tomorrow and see what my legs are capable of on Sunday

• Me and Horse will be entering the Outlaw Holkom Half, my little brother will be coming over from Perth Australia to do it with us but the deal is me and Horse have to enter the Ironman 70.3 in Bussleton Australia in December 2017.

• Hope you're feeling better Puffy, how frustrating.

Maths, yes the Nottingham one.  How did your race go?  It sounds interesting!

How exciting Razor!  I love racing with my sister but she couldn't be persuaded to do Outlaw.

I've done no training this weekend - still quite bruised but will see how I feel tomorrow.

• hi

Razor - sounds like a good deal to me image

Lollipop - Oh gosh my legs ache. So 13.3 miles yesterday (4 laps of Newark Showground) and 2 laps today - 6.6 miles. My brain was saying 'do another lap or two' but realistically my legs wanted to stop moving. I had set myself the 2 laps as the minimum for today. Ran it all rather than run walk, actually no faster than run/walk but I was pleased with what I did considering my training has been rubbish for the last 2 months

• I think I'm getting there, it's morphed into more of a coughing issue now. Annoyingly though one where I'll be alright for a few hours, and then when I decide to go to bed it'll flare up and I'll lie there for 3 hours coughing my lungs up, then manage to fall asleep but be woken up by coughing fits every hour or so. Think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now though... Country To Capital is going to be "interesting", less than 4 weeks to go and very little training done over the last 3 weeks.

Razor, that'll be belting, that. And I don't just mean us getting peace and quiet as you bugger off down under for a bit!

• Mallowpuff, whiskey and lemonade with a lemsip in and stick in the microwave to warm up, drink it before you go to bed, worked wonders for me,

I'm looking forward to Aus mate even if is only to get away from your nagging,image
  • With the wonders of the Internet you'll never escape that, matey.

Think the worst is over now. Still had a crap night's sleep last night but that was down to insomnia instead of coughing. Should get some light training done this week.
  • Sounds good news on the races entered Razor.

I am still  dithering around and not entered anything yet. I feel reluctant to spend money and then not be well enough to complete the event. This last round of bugs has set me back totally to square one again.
    I went swimming for 30 minutes last week and that wiped me out although it did seem to help shift the bunged up nose.

• Merry Christmas everyone!  Hope you're all having a lovely time.

I must have been very good this year as Santa brought a new garmin and the Don Fink half ironman training book!  Very exciting! image

Slightly weirder presents from the kids though - earrings, candle holder and some fake moustaches! image

• Merry Christmas

Lollipop - kids always give weird gifts! Which garmin did you get?

• It's the 920xt.  I was so excited I even managed to sneak out for a little run to try it out.  And I've heard a rumour that some folks are meeting at the lake in the morning for a little swim so if I'm up in time I may be tempted to join them.

• ooh nice. Well done on getting some time away for a run - I haven't managed that. 

Not sure I would want to swim ow in the winter