Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• good to hear your leg is ok puffy

bit of a manic week, managed to keep up with running but not been biking, so need to up that!

• Well as long as you're doing something that's the main thing! Spent the evening sorting out my training plan up to Manchester Marathon and looking at what my goals for it are. Also remembered I've got a 120km Audax bike event in Feb as well, which will be interesting as I've done bugger all cycling for a while.

• Attempted to go swimming today, and managed 7 minutes or so before the rage kicked in. Nothing to do with other swimmers, just the way the pool was partitioned for school groups (they closed off the entire shallow end rather than a few lanes) and the fact that the lifeguards just pulled the foam barrier across the pool right infront of me as I was swimming with no warning. Think I've managed to find a time in the schedule completely free of school groups, so I'll give it another go next week.

Plan for the rest of the week involves some intervals on the treadmill on Weds, a 6 mile run at my target marathon pace on Thurs, a bimble on the bike on Fri, parkrun on Sat (which is a paced event this week, so my plan is to latch onto the 25min pacer and see how long I can hold that pace before I die) followed by a bimble on the bike in the afternoon, then a 10 mile run on Sun.

• evening

mallow - annoying about the pool, and the reason why I joined a swimming club a few years ago!

I ought to follow a plan, but I am not very good at following plans! I did have a fairly good weekend, lots of turbo and some running and swimming, so starting to get the ratio right in the build up to outlaw half

Did consider a little run after work today but I am tired, my legs are tired (having an upstairs classroom means I get to judge the tiredness of my legs throughout the day) and Mondays should really be rest days anyway image

• How annoying about the pool!  Ours closes for swimming lessons so is only open to the public for the odd hour or two in the day.  Good plan for the rest of the week.

Well done Maths, great weekend training.  I'm just looking at turbos now, do you use a different bike for it or change the tyre each time?

I've done nothing useful for the last few days.  Was getting heart palpitations again so another trip to the doctor, another round of blood tests and another ecg ordered.  She didn't seem too bothered though and said to just carry on as normal so the plan is to run today, then a long bike ride tomorrow.

• Lollipop, I have a spare wheel for the turbo and once swapped over the bike stays on the turbo for winter as luckily I have another bike. some people say that it does not wear ordinary tyres but others say different.

I did a little swim this morning.

• lollipop - I also have a spare wheel with a turbo tyre on, bike generally stays on the turbo over winter and in the spring I just swap wheels over

palpitations - do you have much caffeine? Might be worth cutting out all the caffeine and seeing if that helps

• Not been a great week all told, as been a bit under the weather again so haven't done anywhere near as much as I had planned. Was in two minds as to whether or not to bother with parkrun today as I wasn't feeling great at all, but I dragged myself out of bed and got up there with a view to just plod my way around. This plan was reinforced when the 30 minute pacer disappeared off ahead and I knew I wasn't going to be keeping up with him. However on the next uphill section towards the end of the first lap I caught up with him, and then overtook him, which got me focused on a new goal of keeping him behind me. It was tough at times but I stuck with it, and ended up trading places a few times with another guy who later thanked me for spurring him on ("I heard what sounded like and HGV coming up behind me and I just decided I was going to stick with you", cheers pal...) and ended up knocking 2 minutes off my pb for that course. Still 2 minutes off my overall parkrun pb, but this course is much tougher, so happy to take it, especially with how I felt.

However I can feel my right quad complaining again, so need to tread carefully over the next few days.

• Good run Puffy, but be careful with that leg.

Maths, I do drink way too much coffee, but I was also taking antihistamines that can cause palpitations so I've stopped taking them and it seems to have stopped for now.  What plan are you following for Outlaw half?

18 miles on the bike this morning.  Went with the group again which was a bit slower than I would have liked this week but I enjoyed it.  It seemed to go by much quicker than the 15 miles I did on my own the other day so maybe cycling in a group is the way to go.  They're going to put some longer rides on too so will have a look at them.

• well done mallow and lollipop

plan? erm, I am not very good at plans. I am doing progressively longer bikes and runs at the weekends and whatever I fancy in the week, and going to swimming club.  

• Will do! Will rest it tomorrow, swim on Monday, rest it again Tuesday and then see how it is on the treadmill on Wednesday.

Good work getting out on the bike. Group riding is good fun, motivates you to get out and passes the time quicker. I need to try to find a club around here. Need to try to get out on the bike for a few hours next week, got a 100km Audax coming up in a few weeks.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Hello all.

I haven't been on this thread or runner's world for ages as I haven't done any triathlons or running for a long time due to injuries and weight gain. However, I have managed to start losing weight on LCHF diet and I want to start again. I bought new trainers the other week but then went skiing so had a little test run on them today. They feel good and they look good so I'm very happy. 

The test 'run' was only around the block so about 1.3 miles and I felt good although I started feeling a little tiredness on top of my right top of the leg. Just hoping it's nothing to do with my psoas muscle which I've had problems with in the past. Probably just the 8 days of skiing I did last week.

Anyway, I've just entered my first triathlon since 2014, can't believe it is that long ago! It is the same local tri I did in 2014. 400m swim, 20km bike and 5k run. I have 16 weeks to train including this week. I have no plan at the moment, just start running 3 times a week, get into the swimming pool and start complimenting my cycle to work with longer rides at the weekends.

Hope to find some motivation and encouragement from this thread and other's training.
  • Welcome back, then!

Hope we do manage to keep you encouraged and motivated, so if you're ever lacking make sure to pop in.

My own motivation has once again been lacking, or rather it's still been lacking, though I think it's on the way back. Had an enjoyable 6 mile run today after a really crappy 4 mile run the other day. Planning to get out and push my luck on a 10 miler tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes!
  • Hi mikasa - good to have you back. 8 days of skiing is enough to cause aches I imagine!
  • I have done loads of turbo this week - was planning a mainly running week now I am on half term, but have a stinking cold so sulking instead!
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Hey Maths, it's nice to be back and have a goal again. Hope you get over your cold soon. It's annoying when it happens on holiday time.

Thanks for the welcome Mallowpuff. Good luck with your 10 miler tomorrow. My goal at the moment is to get up to 5k so I can do some parkruns as training towards the tri. 
  • Hi Mikasa, I have entered a sprint tri in May. I have started running again and bought new shoes. Hoping that my dodgy arm is finally starting to heal, then I can get back to swimming and cycling.
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Hi Steady. How is your running going? I did another wee run today, and I mean a wee run, whole of 2.5 km... It'll do for now after work but will try to do 5k at the weekend.
  • How's everyone getting on?

10 miler went alright, so happy with that. Had a rest day tomorrow and hoping to get out for a couple of hours on the bike tomorrow. Nothing too strenuous but hopefully somewhere between 20 and 30 miles along the canal or something like that.
  • Running home tonight so 10-15k depending on how I feel then a romp in the Chilterns 20-25k depending how I feel on Sat.  Progress is good - manflu gone.
  • Well, if mikasa is back, I suppose I should also put in an appearance.  I ain't dun nuffin from April to Christmas, other that buy a home over here, install a pool, shout at builders, move office buildings, but exercise wise, nuffin'.  But I am running twice a week and once the weather warms up I can get in the pool.  In fact, I figure I can do my own mini triathlons as we put jets in the pool and I still own a bicycle although the tyres need pumping up and the road on which I live is a perfect 5K loop.

I'm going to have to switch to a run before work rather that at lunch time 'cos although its only February, Houston is already getting too hot which is part of the reason for last years exercise drop out.

No excuses this year!. Keep smiling.

• hey pete great to hear from you, I hope life is treating you well over there!
  • Hi everyone, and welcome back Mikasa and Pete!

30 miles on the bike this morning.  I'm hoping that at some point I will lose all feeling in my backside! :D  (The smileys are rubbish on this new forum - how will I cope without the angry face one?!)

Which triathlon have you entered Steady?
  • Welcome back Pete! Good work getting out on the bike Lollipop.

Yesterday I was over in Macclesfield with time to kill, so I took my bike with the intention of doing 4 or 5 loops of the old Pirate DIY Half bike course. Bike had other plans though with a spoke snapping 1.8 miles into my ride, just as I was starting the first loop. So I limped back with a wobbly wheel and spent the rest of the day sat in the car reading a book.

Set off today for a longish slow run, hoping for about 15 miles but had to cut it short to 10. And whilst walking back made the decision not to turn up to the start of the Manchester Marathon. I had a goal in mind for it and there's no way I'm going to be able to even get close to it for one reason and another, so I've decided that turning up for the sake of it will just result in disappointment and then extra recovery time when I could be training towards my next goal.
  • hi
    mallowpuff - always a difficult decision the one to not even turn up to an event, but sounds like the right one. No point messing up future events
    still not totally over the lurgy but did a gentle turbo today, might attempt a slow run or run/walk tomorrow
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Hey  Pete, nice to hear you are still out there too!

Thanks Lollipop for the welcome.

I went for my little run again today, kind of felt like I was running faster than the last couple of times but in fact, I was a minute slower, not that it matters. I was going to try to go for a longer run but it got pushed to the end of the day and I have a match tomorrow and didn't want my legs tired so maybe next time.

Also entered Decathlon's 5k run in April today. They are opening a new store in Farnborough in March and I thought why not.
  • yeah, things are ok.  A bit stressful selling up and moving to Houston only for the industry to crash and potentially being kicked back to the UK with no where to live and no job.  hey-ho, it is what it is.  I think I should be OK.  This company would be lost without me, but that's never stopped management making a bad decision.

I joined a running team last year in the in-house competition, but after only 4 months I realized that my team wasn't trying as I did as many runs in 4 months that the rest did in the entire year.  This year I've asked to join a more competitive team.  I've got a couple of 10K's in the offing, and I need to get several races in before May when it gets too hot to run.  At least, too hot for me to run!

• Good to hear from you Pete.

Lollopop, I am doing East Grinstead sprint, it is very beginner friendly.

Still not able to swim or bike, but can feel that the arm is making slow progress and I don't want any setbacks.

My run/walks are up to 2 minute run, 1 minute walk for 2.5 miles.

• I ran at lunch.  It was hot.  But it definitely felt better, I normally die at 4km, but this time it felt ok.  but hot.
  • I have entered the Bolt around the Holt 5k at the end of March, fairly local. Mikasa would you be up for doing it?