Couch Potato to Marathon in 18 weeks?

Comments

• Wobbled you are right I have read the non runners marathon book and it has a 10 week plan to get you running for 30 minutes before you start the 18 week marathon plan. There is absolutely no emphasis on speed and it is purely getting round.

However it is a good read from a motivational point of view....

• Well said JB - completely agree.  I think some people who run (and I'm not alluding to Parkfunfan here) really are a little elitist.  They don't like the thought of anyone running or attempting to run a marathon with little or no experience because they feel that it somehow belittles their own experiences - especially if the person succeeds.  Anyone can run a marathon - its not rocket science and anyone with a little commitment, common sense and determination can do it.  Experienced runners who have run for 10 years but never attempted a marathon would approach a marathon with a totally different mindset to a novice like LG.  An experienced runner will want to get round in the fastest time they think they can manage where as LG with no experience at all will just want to get round under the cut off point.  Both efforts are equally valid and both attainable.

• Johnny Blaze wrote (see)

Parkrunfan - i don't know how good bad or indifferent you are as a runner - but to say that runners don't get injured if they train "properly" is just plain wrong. I've heard this argument before - usually from people who believe there is one true way - their way - and from people who also seem to spend the same amount of time on the bench as anyone else.

And when was that said?

Your comment basically said that since experienced runners get injured then the OP may as well go and get injured as well.

What is it with all this rush, rush, rush.......?

All the sensible advice on this thread (and, refreshingly, there has been a significant amount) has not been aimed at advising the OP against aiming to run a marathon....it has been about aiming to run a marathon in a sensible timescale to reduce the risk of injury and promote long term health.

Alas, there will forever be the 'fluffy brigade' who want to promote running a marathon as a pom-pom waving jolly good day out where everyone spends the whole event with beaming smiles on their faces after a few weeks of moderate exercise. Or, even worse, after a few weeks of manic over training.

• As experienced runners, many of us know it's best not to rush into an extremely challenging event like a marathon. However, if someone is inspired by events such as VLM on television and that's the sole goal that will motivate them, it should be encouraged.

Although perhaps not the ideal introduction to running, we should applaud anyone wanting to take up the sport that brings us all here.

Though there are many failures, many beginners DO get round, DO fall in love with running and come back to train better and do it faster year after year.

Conversely, people like me who've been running (albeit badly!) for years, finally enter a Marathon, train properly and find out they hate every step of the way and realise shorter distances suit them better!

There's lots of routes into running, few of us get it right first time, but  many of us find ourselves happier, healthier and with a new pastime and a new circle of friends as a result image

LG, I'd just add, make sure you include races of all lengths from 5K to a half marathon at appropriate points in your training, just to get used to what a race is like.

• Alas, there will forever be the 'fluffy brigade' who want to promote running a marathon as a pom-pom waving jolly good day out where everyone spends the whole event with beaming smiles on their faces after a few weeks of moderate exercise. Or, even worse, after a few weeks of manic over training.

That just sounds like you axe-grinding. I'm outta here.

•  As the Original Poster (took me a while to figure out what  'OP' stood for!), I would just like to say that it has been extremely helpful, to me, to have both sides of the argument - for and against my plan to attempt a marathon from a zero fitness level in less than 5 months' time.  It has been great to have the "naysayers" tell me exactly what I'm up against because I like to know the worst possible scenario - I'd only imagine it myself anyway.

At the same time, it has been equally great that those words of warning have been countered by the "fluffy brigade", telling me that although there are better ways of attempting such a challenge (which the "naysayers" are also saying), that it IS still possible.

So thank you, all of you, for giving such a rounded view of the whole thing.  It's only with this healthy debate that we've got to this. 

Now, I'm off to the JogScotland roadshow.

• If you're thinking about doing a marathon enter a 10k asap. It might open your eyes up a bit.

This isn't suposed to be a patronising comment but I honestly think you're biting off more than you can chew.

• Lazeegirl, I'm a bit confused about your two statements-

"In fact, I drive EVERYWHERE. I hate even walking anywhere.  It seems pointless."

"However, when we both parted company to go home, I started running with the dog.  It actually felt really good to be running and not so painful on the legs as walking."

Do you have a dog? Who usually walks it?

If you already walk the dog a couple of miles in the morning and again in the evening you're not as unfit as you claim.

As you have found walking fast is painful and hard. 26.2 miles in under 7hours is a fast walk constantly for 7 hours. You will have to run a lot of it.
  • LG - This month's Women's Running mag has a one-page article on going from absolute beginner to marathon. It doesn't say anything not covered on this thread, but I thought you'd be interested, it doesn't say complete beginners shouldn't attempt it.
  • Thanks for the article tip - I'll take a look at that. 

Supernova - I think that you are most probably right!  But if I didn't have such an ambitious target, I wouldn't get off my lazy backside at all.

And TimR - I'm ashamed to say that my mum usually walks my dogimage.  Unfortunately, she broke her ankle very badly at a keep fit class at the start of November and has only just resumed weight bearing.  The poor dog has had to suffer just running about the back garden (quite big) with his pal from next door and the odd sniff (about 3 times) along the street (a very short block of less than 5 minutes' walk).  He was ecstatic today to be running around fields and ramble paths with my auntie's dog.  My dog is only young and loves to run, which is one of the main reasons I should be going out for a few miles each day.  It's not fair on the dog - it's cruel, when he could be out having such fun every day.  Besides, I  now really feel that  I'm missing out this wonderful resource on my doorstep too (a beautiful country park) because I love being outside, around trees (although I usually drive to the park and just push my children on the swings).

One of the silly things is that I am scared to walk around in the park or countryside on my own, yet my auntie says she does it all the time, even in the dark.  As I was driving through the park tonight in the dark to get to the jogscotland roadshow, I saw a lone female jogger and I thought, "She's brave".  I think they might be safer, but I find built up areas really boring to walk around - I prefer scenery.  I'm lucky that my auntie is off on holiday from work this week because I have her for company, for now.  I will have to brave going out on my own after next week.  But there is the parkrun on a Saturday and the jogging club on a Sunday.  And I will soon be able to jog and/or bike to and from the nursery when the trailer buggy comes.

I'm not exaggerating my lack of fitness, however:  anyone who knows me thinks my plan is ridiculous (so it's not only those with experience on here who think that) because they know how lazy and unfit I am.

I once joined a gym - about 10  years ago -  I drove there, had a chat, and signed up for the year on the spot..  I didn't go back, not for one single session.  And now I am pushing 40.  At the risk of sounding like some old Pink Floyd lyrics - where has all that time gone?  More importantly, I really need to start getting fit now.

A marathon is such a mamoth task.  I don't believe that I will finish.  In fact, it's such a huge task that I cannot think about that at all.  But I have a date in my diary.  An actual, measurable goal and time before that.  I will just have to do what I can in the intervening period and then on the day itself.  This has already gone from being "an end in itself" (my first post) to a journey.  And I'm only on day 1 of training.image

See what "you lot"  are doing!

• I have been running consistently since march 2009 and have now ran over 10 x 10k s and I think 6 half marathons. I got caught up in the vlm bug in 2010 and applied the day I found out I didn't get a place I booked Edinburgh to be my 1st marathon in 2011. However I have since decided I will not be entering. The training will be a logistical nightmare for me having 3 young children and a husband who works 2 evenings a week and weekends. I don't want to end up hating and feeling pressurised to do something I love so much (running ). There is plenty of time for me to run a marathon .
    Personally I cannot imagine going from zero to 26.2 in 18 weeks.
    I'm no expert but I do think that perhaps if you get around that it won't be an enjoyable experience for you. But best of luck x
  • Hi, well I'm happy to report that I've just got in from a brisk walk of 2 hrs 10mins.  I don't know how many miles we covered, but we did manage quite a few thirty second jogs in as well.  A lot of it was quite steep hills, so my muscles were aching and I felt that, at one stage, I wished someone could carry me home, but I perserevered.  Even my auntie - who does body pump, linedancing and walking (and has been in a jogging club) was puffed out, so it wasn't only me!

I'm going to try and use this week to get my legs used to walking for that lenghth of time and concentrate more on building up the jogging from next week.  But anyway, if I don't manage to start running soon, I have found a walking plan to get round a marathon. image  I want to be able to run though - at least some of the way.

Supernova - I tried to order that Women's Running magazine online but it wasn't available on their website when you try to subscribe, so I'll have to try in e.g. Tesco.

Runningmum - I can totally empathise with your (training) 'logistical nightmare' as a single parent of 3, I can only really exercise when my little one is at nursery (and the rest at school) during term time week days, although I do have weekends when they are at their dad's too, so I'm lucky.  At least you are still getting out there, running, and enjoying it.  Yes, you are right - there will always be another marathon, another time, and one that suits your lifestyle better as you continue to keep your fitness levels up with your regular running.  But then, you already have the runner's discipline that I lack.  I wouldn't be out there at all if it wasn't for this major deadline in May.  Good on you that you don't need that pressure.

My 'The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer' by Whitsett et al has arrived, so I'm going to have a read now.

• somebody told me today about a marathon training plan thats out there that says it can get you to a marathon from only running 3 times a week - this is something I am "thinking" about looking into...the thing is i had got my head around the fact that im not running edinburgh and then somebody goes and tells me that and throws a spenner in the works!!! my youngest starts preschool twice a week from february so that will free up 2 afternoons a week for me imageimage
  • The plans I have read so far all tell you to run 4 days a week, with long runs on a Saturday or Sunday.  They advise complete rest the day after the long run (which they say you will really need as the miles build up on those runs).  They also say that you can cross train (swim or bike ride) on your other 2 days off running.  Can you do 4 days?  If not, find that 3 day plan quick and ask for advice from others here on it.  The great thing is that your body is already accustomed to running.

It sounds like you would like to give a marathon a go this year.  You can't get your money back from Edinburgh now, why not just keep it in your calendar and train towards it anyway?  You might have enough time with your youngest going to nursery now.  Just don't put too much pressure on yourself.  It will defeat the purpose if it starts to feel like a chore.    If you feel fit enough and have managed to follow a plan, then enter Edinburgh, if not, go for another one later in the year.

Keep in tough with how you get on.

• I only run 3 days a week.

• i do generally run at least 4 days a week but its the whole "having to" that worries me....and the 2 long runs that are needed nearer the marathon - 20 miles on a sunday and then sometimes 13-15 on a wednesday! (something like that) scares the life out of me (i do have a proper running buggy and a treadmill so tbh the training is more possible than i think)

I do think that come nearer the time I will get sucked into it especially after london in april and I will wish I was doing it? so perhaps you are right and I should follow a plan anyway and see how I feel? like you say i cant cancel the marathon- i have booked a room in a travellodge and paid a cancellation fee of £1 which means i can cancel- but not sure how this will stand as obviously i am not cancelling the whole room (because my 2 club mates are still going) i am only cancelling my bed!?

i am in the process of getting together with a running coach in the hopes of 2011 being a year for me going "faster" as opposed to "longer" so I will also seek his advice- but i know he will advise me against the marathon!

oh its so confusing it really is!! image

• There are a couple of three-days a week programmes popular with RW, the FIRST programme and forumite Shade's programme.

However, I wouldn't recommend either for complete beginners as the first long run is 8-10 miles. 

•  13/15 seems excessive for a weekday. There are better programs.

By the time you get to doing the 18s you will have already done a fair few 10s and they will feel like walks in the park. You'll think nothing of doing a 10 on the Wednesday probably in well under 2 hours and then attemping 18 on the Sunday. As I say the 18 will probably be run as far as you can then the last 2/3 miles will probably be walking anyway.

Your whole perception of running and what is a long distance will shift like you won't believe.

• LG, all the best with your lifestyle change. It'll work out well, no matter what happens.

One niggling point, though. Earlier, you said: "A marathon is such a mamoth task. I don't believe that I will finish."

I'd suggest that if you have a negative outcome planned, then that's how it'll play out. Perhaps a more positive affirmation like, "If I get to the start line, I will finish. Period."

Good luck!

• Rennur,

Thanks - that's why I also said in previous posts that I'm not going to think about that bigger picture just yet.  I'm just taking it a day at a time for now.  The book already came (I mentioned in an earlier post) but although it's called 'The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer', I feel really cheated:  the so-called 16 week plan requires you to be able to run for THIRTY MINUTES before undertaking the training plan.  If I could run for 30 mins, I'd think of myself as a runner!!!!  It will take me a long time before I can run thirty minutes...so I feel that the book title is a big con.

Also, reading about all the past participants of the programme was rather disconcerting too because the majority were in their early 20s (mostly 21 and 22 year olds who could run for a few milesbefore embarking on the plan).  Plus, they all trained together as a group, with the authors of the book as coaches.  I don't think I'm being too pessimistic to think then that those people's odds of running a marathon in 16-18 weeks is much better than mine..then again, that doesn't mean that mine are totally impossible odds either.

However, the marathon training plan aside, I went out for two hours again yesterday, brisk walking with a few jogs in there.  Today, I got up, planning to go to my local parkrun, but it had snowed heavily overnight, scuppering my plans.  I couldn't take my youngest to his dad's to be looked after (I had hoped my older two kids would run with me).  Instead, I took my youngest out in the snow with the jogging buggy around the streets.  It was very hard-going and I didn't get many miles in, but strangely, I now want to get out there and at least walk.  I'm disappointed that I couldn't try to run (because of the snow).

My legs have been aching all week - I must be using muscles that have been dormant for years image, but this exercise is rather addictive once you actually get started, I've found.

Lastly though, my point in reply was that if I keep this up until the marathon start date, it will be miraculous and I will have nothing to lose but to get to that start (which is something I've been thinking about - how to get there.  I could travel from my home on the day - but will the roads and trains be packed.  I'm already fretting about not getting there on time!  And thinking about whether I should carry a rucksack with gels in.  I don't even really know what the gels are, or where to to get them!  How silly is THAT?).  This is surely optimism from someone who can barely jog for 30 seconds?

• Lazeegirl, do you have a sports direct closeby?? thet have fabulous karrimor running stuff very cheap!!

i have just bought my brother for his bday a KARRIMOR RUNNING BOTTLE BELT its 11.99 down to 5.99, it goes around your waist has a water bottle in and also a section for 3 running gels and a zip pocket for anything else you need to take with you

but i also have myself got a SIS (science in sport) marathon belt (from tescos....look in the sporting goods aisle thats also where they sell the energy gels etc) this bely also clips around the waist has has 8 elasticated bit to slide your gels in

i would suggest you try to pick up something like this before your ediburgh- because although on a marathon there is plenty of water stations for water etc dont forget when you are out on a training run running 20 miles or so there is nobody there handing water and jelly babies out!!

i got myself a NATHAN Marathon belt- it comes with 2 small water bottles- but i paid about £15 for that- if id have seen the karrimor one before hand i would have got that!!

do you have far to go to get to edinburgh on the day of the marathon?

• Ha ha, Your post made me laugh - telling where to get a marathon belt and gels after Rennur telling me to have some belief image  This is because when you start something in motion - like pay your entry and make yourself get out of the house to exercise each day - it becomes something that is just going to happen....

Thanks for the tips.  I will get myself to a Sports Direct!  And I will also look in Tesco tomorrow.  Do Tesco really sell the gels?  I wonder if they're suitable for vegetariansimage  Ha ha, there I go, distracted again!  Talking about gelswhen I still can't even run for 5 minutes, let alone the 5-6 hours I'll need for a marathon.  But that's the "head fake", I suppose.

Stupid snow, I want to get on with trying to run.  I'll have to practice running on the spot in the house.

Seriously though, thanks for the tips.

• Monty39Monty39 ✭✭✭
    LG...

I did my 1st Mara in 2004 in similar circumstances, although i had a decent level of fitness to begin with i went from zero to 26 miles in 16 weeks. I cant say that i enjoyed it ! The most i ran in training was about 10 miles...i thought i would breeze through the race in about 4hrs 30mins.

After running for two hours i was in pain...by the 3rd hour i was in agony...and by the 4th hour with easily 8 miles still to go i was almost in tears !

But when i crossed the line it was one of the most amazing moments of my life....and since then i have ran 4 Marathons, 6 Halfs & umpteen 10k's....and actually train properly for them now. Good Luck, you will love it when you cross the line.
  • Oh, and I'm an hour on the train from Edinburgh.
  • Thanks for telling me about your first marathon, Jason.  The thought of running for hours..yikes...I'm not going to think about it.  Glad it inspired you to keep on going.
  • I really don't want to put you off, because you sound like you're going to get a lot out of running, but I really think you should consider switching to the half marathon instead of the full one, if you can.

There's nothing magical about marathon distance - it's just another race - and you'll get much more satisfaction out of doing a good race well, rather than reaching for an unrealistic target.

And I don't mean to be harsh, but if you want to run a marathon you're going to have to get out there in all weathers, snow or not. The advantage of running in rubbish weather is that it seems so much easier once the weather improves!

Parkrun is a really good idea - you can see how you're progressing each week and there will always be people there to support you. Good luck!
  • Running rodent, thanks for your advice - I don't think you're being harsh at all - I've heard much worse from my friends and family.  Unfortunately, there is no way of transferring to the half marathon from the full, or of deferring.  I'm totally brassic (skint) and I have paid up, so my thinking is that I should train as much as I can beforehand and then, on the day,  just go as far as I can.  I wouldn't feel I'd "failed" if I didn't finish.  I just want to see how far I can go.  I think if I learn to run 10k between now and then and just walk the rest, I might just be able to do it in under the maximum 6 and a half hours - what do you think?

Oh, and I would run in the snow, but I can just about push the buggy through it - with a great deal of effort - I just can't get up to a run, only a walk.  I would have gone to the parkrun, even in the snow, but I had no-one to look after my 3 year old (because of the snow, I couldn't drive him to his dad's who lives quite a few miles way, until the roads cleared a bit).  I actually love the snow - it looks beautiful and it makes even these dull streets look magical, so I wouldn't mind running in it, if only I could get out there by myself.

• I've done a lot of walking (50+ miles in a day) and even walking 26miles is going to need some serious preparation. You'll still need to get out and walk for 4 hours once a week when you get close to the event.

A 20miles training walk at full tilt usually took close to 6 hours. A 4mph walk is really going some. As you found out.

Just train to the longest possible distance that you can. Don't worry about any race day stratedgy yet. I ran a half marathon in July and had to stop and walk at 10miles due to the heat. I still did a PB!

Get out there and work towards running one mile in 12mins. Once you can do that start increasing your distance 10%-15% a week. Keep the speed the same. Even as you gain fitness and think you can run faster don't be tempted to speed up.

• Tim,

Thanks for taking the time to write with that advice.  I went out and ran my first mile this morning!!!  It took me 13 minutes.  I checked my start time then didn't look at the time again until the end.  All the way round, I was reminding myself to slow down, to take it easy, because I wanted to actually finish.  I was really surprised with myself that I ran a whole mile non-stopimage  And this from a May marathon entrant!

I know it was a mile (just a bit more than) because I plotted out the route in the 'Good Run Guide' before I went.  It's a brilliant site.  I'm so glad I know the route before I set off because, mentally, I was prepared.

I could perhaps have gone further, but I will take your advice and keep practising that same mile until I can do it in 12 minutes, then add some more distance. The only trouble is,  I'm rubbish at maths (I don't even know what increments a mile goes up in), so what would my next target be to increase a mile by 10%?image

I ran a mile!  I ran a mile!  I ran a mile! I ran a mile!  I ran a mile!  I ran a mile!image In a heavy parka....

• Depends on how you feel Tuesday.

It'll take you 10 weeks to get to 2 miles if you stick to 0.1 mile increments. You might be better to add half a mile a week for now. Stick to the mile for 2 more runs this week and see how you feel next Sunday

As I say don't worry too much about the speed 13minutes is close as makes no odds at the moment, it'll speed up a bit anyway just don't push it.The important thing is that you ran without stopping at a comfortable pace.

Cool!