Couch Potato to Marathon in 18 weeks?

Comments

• Thank you.  Although I don't feel like I have much enthusiasm or dedication most of the time!  How are you getting on?
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    I'm good, I have had the epiphany of New Shoes to kickstart me into the year image
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    I meant to say also that the fact that you don't always feel the love is a sign of the dedication.....
  • And I don't always feel the love!  Ooh this is great news.  That will certainly help me out the door in the coming weeks - thanks for that!  

I must be getting at least a bit dedicated because I'm supposed to be going out clubbing this weekend for a friend's birthday (there's a big crowd going) and I'm already trying to think of how to get out of it - even though I actually have a babysitter for once - because I don't want to be out until the early hours, drinking, when I could get up early and go running.   I can't miss any of the weekend long runs.  And the feeling after a run is definitely  better than a hangoverimage

New shoes, eh?  Are they covered in mud yet?

• Why not rather than try to get out of it perhaps have one or two long drinks scattered between non-alcoholic drinks and water and enjoy a few hours out but head home at a time you feel won't affect your running too much?

Well done on the progress image

• Well done LG - sounds like you've caught the running bug! 

Could you perhaps fit your long run in before going out for the evening? When I was training for my half last year, I didn't drink the day before a long run, but saved it up for the evening after my run. I felt I'd earned it!

• Thanks for the advice, Katalya and AllNewTB.  I think I will do both.  I'll do the long run on Saturday before I go out and try not to drink too much/too late so that I don't feel too hungover for my jog Scotland group on Sunday morning.

Hey, I could get up early and actually aim to do the parkrun on Saturday morning!  Then see if I can carry on at least walk a few miles afterwards.  Yes, that sounds like a plan.

This is my day off and I'm supposed to be catching up with housework, but I'm just back from a quick sprint about with the dog.  It's a beautiful morning and the sun is shining.  I just ran across a field as fast as I could then up and down a hill.  I think I really have caught the running bug image  No wonder children are so happy - they run everywhere.

• Running certainly does do something for that feel good feeling - even if your at the end of a long one and crawling home.
  • Wahey!  I did my first 5k Parkrun this morning without stopping or walking.  Yep, I ran all the way!!!  And I didn't even come lastimage  I was only 112th out of 122 runners, but it says my 'gender position' was 33, which sounds much better.  My time was almost 36 minutes, so that works out about the recommended (on this forum, to me) 12 minutes per mile, so I'm delighted.

~I really had to push myself to go because it was minus three and I wanted to stay in bed. 

When I got there this morning, I felt really intimidated.  I had expected it to look more like a family fun run with all sorts of shapes and sizes shuffling round, but instead, everyone else looked like a "serious runner" with all the proper gear on and limbering up.  I even felt really self-conscious joining in the warm-up exercises, as though I was a fraud who shouldn't be there.

When I started off, I felt like I couldn't run at all and it took me ages, it felt, to come to the first sign.  My heart sank when I saw that it was only 1k:  I just thought, "Another 4k to go!  I might as well turn back and go straight home now", but somehow, I perservered.  

It's weird how it's the mental attitutde that gets you round.  I just kept telling myself that I'd already done great, getting out of bed and that I was here now and might as well get on with it and even try to enjoy it.  I was even playing little "tricks" with myself to keep my going, like swopping my gloves and bottle into the opposite hand and trying a short sprint on the hills...I just wonder how people manage to keep going, mentally, for hours?  That will be a tremendous challenge.

When i finished, I bent over to do some stretches and felt like I might pass out!  So I just stood around chatting in the queue for the bar code instead.  I did another short run by myself afterwards, then came home and took the dog a walk, all the while, thinking to myself how far I've come in a few short weeks.

I was amazed that I ran a mile on the 9th and now, just short of 3 weeks later, I can run 3 miles without stopping.  I remember thinking that, "If only I could run three miles..." 

Well, I can now start training in earnest!  Oh and yes, now I can go out tonight and celebrate that birthday.  I haven't done many miles today though, so I'll have to stay out tomorrow after my jogging club.

How is everyone else today?

• Excellent. Sounds like you're enjoying it and, as you've found, it gets easier the more you do it. Well done.

I'm well now but have been I'll all week so will be doing my first run for a week tomorrow. Hopefully it will climb above -1 but I'm not holding my breath.I've got a half marathon in March so need to up the training image

• Sorry to hear that you've been unwell, Tim, but it's good that you're on the mend again.  We've had some beautiful sunny days in this part of Scotland this week.  I hope the sun shines on your run tomorrow.

That's great news about your half marathon - March seemed like ages away, until I realised that next week, we'll be into February already.  Yikes!  Keep in touch with your training progress. 

• And does running get easier the more you do?  When I was on the parkrun this morning, there were runners everywhere (obviously).  Even afterwards, I saw guys running who made it look effortless.  They looked so fit and strong and as though they could run for miles without flinching and I wondered whether I will ever be like that.  I have to remind myself that a few weeks ago, I looked at runners and wondered if I'd ever run at all and now I have and am doing...it's a fault of mine - impatience!

My mantra today was, "Slow and steady wins the race" (obviously I didn't come anywhere near to winning, but it got me round).  I just want to sprint round that loch, loads of times, easily. TODAY. image

• Go girl !

I do know some people do the marathon for the prestige of it but are not interested in running ! No worries ! How are you going to do it if you are so unfit ? Be careful, the body has no spare parts ! You might just enjoy it and become hooked !

• Wahey!  I did my first 5k Parkrun this morning without stopping or walking.  Yep, I ran all the way!!!  And I didn't even come lastimage  I was only 112th out of 122 runners, but it says my 'gender position' was 33, which sounds much better.  My time was almost 36 minutes, so that works out about the recommended (on this forum, to me) 12 minutes per mile, so I'm delighted.

~I really had to push myself to go because it was minus three and I wanted to stay in bed. 

When I got there this morning, I felt really intimidated.  I had expected it to look more like a family fun run with all sorts of shapes and sizes shuffling round, but instead, everyone else looked like a "serious runner" with all the proper gear on and limbering up.  I even felt really self-conscious joining in the warm-up exercises, as though I was a fraud who shouldn't be there.

When I started off, I felt like I couldn't run at all and it took me ages, it felt, to come to the first sign.  My heart sank when I saw that it was only 1k:  I just thought, "Another 4k to go!  I might as well turn back and go straight home now", but somehow, I perservered.  

It's weird how it's the mental attitutde that gets you round.  I just kept telling myself that I'd already done great, getting out of bed and that I was here now and might as well get on with it and even try to enjoy it.  I was even playing little "tricks" with myself to keep my going, like swopping my gloves and bottle into the opposite hand and trying a short sprint on the hills...I just wonder how people manage to keep going, mentally, for hours?  That will be a tremendous challenge.

When i finished, I bent over to do some stretches and felt like I might pass out!  So I just stood around chatting in the queue for the bar code instead.  I did another short run by myself afterwards, then came home and took the dog a walk, all the while, thinking to myself how far I've come in a few short weeks.

I was amazed that I ran a mile on the 9th and now, just short of 3 weeks later, I can run 3 miles without stopping.  I remember thinking that, "If only I could run three miles..." 

Well, I can now start training in earnest!  Oh and yes, now I can go out tonight and celebrate that birthday.  I haven't done many miles today though, so I'll have to stay out tomorrow after my jogging club.

How is everyone else today?

• Well done on the parkrun! Now you've got a time to chase. Yes, it does get easier, but don't pay any attention to what others look like. I've marshalled at parkruns, and it's quite interesting watching the whole race go past. Some people at the front look like they're about to die, others look like they're barely breaking sweat. It's the same all the way round - people just have different styles.

Also - re 'serious runners' - you might find that if the weather was really icy it's the real 'hardcore' types that turn up. As the weather improves, there may be more beginners. Of course, by the time that happens you'll be well ahead of them image
  • Aww thanks for that, running rodent!  Ha, the thought of me seeming like a "serious runner" to someone else in the Spring/Summer is quite funny, but then, the idea of running 3 miles less than 3 weeks ago was unimaginable, so it COULD happen.  I remember the line, but I forget the film - 'You are what you pretend to be'.  I'm going to wear proper running gear and look determined, next time.

I think I probably, most likely, looked like one that was about to die - from the back - all the way round.  In fact, near the end, I wondered whether I had a left hand chest pain, or breast pain...then told myself to stop being such a hypochondriac.image

I've stopped drinking earlier tonight so that I can go out and do a bit tomorrow again.

How are you getting on?

• Well, I'm 3 weeks in and can now run 3 miles!  It's been really interesting to look back over the posts to this thread. 

TimR wrote (see)

Maybe 3 weeks to get to running constantly for 3miles.

AllNewTB wrote (see)
     As a total beginner, running for three miles after three weeks is a bit of an ask.

I have to agree with AllNewTB, it HAS been a "bit of an ask" to get to it, but Tim was right - it is possible.

Today, I went to my JogScotland group in the morning.  Again, it was far too easy - the coach said I should maybe join a different group - but it was great for a warm-up.  I took the dog with me and afterwards, I ran round the loch.  I only stopped to pick up dog pooimage  And to tie my jacket around my waist.  Apart from that, I ran the whole 3.65 miles.

It was great to be out - absolutely freezing, but there was some kind of race on in the park, maybe a 10k and I was running in the opposite direction (and leaving the paths clear for those in the race) and I couldn't help but smile at every one of those runners.  They were SO fast.  They had spit and snot all over their faces like a racehorse, but they didn't care, they were hammering along, full pelt.  A lot of them must have had 20 years on me too.  They seemed to be sprinting a long distance!  How can they do that?  I've just got the hang of running slow....

So Tim, I'm going for the plan of adding a mile each week for a few weeks for now.

I'm away to fill out my training log on the 'Good Run Guide' - does everyone use that website?  It's excellent.

How's everyone else doing?  How did you get on today, Tim?

• I'm taking it easy this week. Have suffered 4 migraines since last week. First one for 30 years - not pretty. Full works migraines, not just bad headaches.

9.5 miles at 10m30s/mile, not my usual 13miles  image but it felt good. I've put in my entry for Berkhampstead Half Marathon on 6th March.

Be careful now how you add the mile a week. Usually you'll add a mile a week for two/three weeks then drop the mileage back down for a week then start stepping up again.

I would see if you can get to 6miles over the next three weeks - GO SLOW! then reappraise how you're doing.

• Hi Tim,

Has anything changed to cause the migraines all of a sudden?  Change in diet, or stress?  I get 'migraine aura' (quite a severe loss of vision due to the fuzziness and it makes me feel quite sick) without the actual headache.  I tend to get them in "clusters" too - none for ages, then quite a few, close together.  I only started getting them in my early 30s, when my dad was terminally ill, a few weeks before his death.  Maybe it was the worry of that, with the stress of being at the hospital so often..nowadays, I think looking at my laptop screen for too long without a break might be a factor.  I also drink coffee and red wine - they probably don't help.  Have you any idea what might have triggered yours?  I hope you now manage to stay migraine-free for another good few years.

Just nine and a half miles, eh?  Tsk tsk! image  If you normally do 13, then that must have been a bit disheartening, but I'm glad that it made you feel good nonetheless.

And a half marathon in just over a month - that's great, though if you normally run 13 miles, you should find that a breeze, but I imagine the goal is more about time than completion?  The folk I saw today were certainly running for time.

Thanks for your advice today.  Six miles in 3 weeks - sounds insurmountable!  But then, so did just getting to 3 miles three weeks ago.  I'll give it my best shot.  I'm going to have to start following one schedule or another now.  I'll compare the one in my book with the one the Edinburgh marathon sent and the one Berry recommended on RW (the 'Beginner's Get you Round schedule) and see which one I might best be able to slot into. 

I'm really enjoying getting fitter.  I suppose the rewards are coming easy for me, just starting out, because I can really see improvements fast, but I'm always thinking ahead, how far on I can push next (without totally wrecking my knees).  I do think though, that despite my totally unfit lifestyle and quite advanced age for starting, that I'm not as bad as I might have been without the advice on this forum (and my madcap idea of entering a marathon).  In my jogging group, for example, this is week 2 - and the other members are attending the group once or twice a week - one woman left today after less than half the session; another was hobbling around; a third was almost hyper-ventillating and the rest looked really puffed out.  They don't seem to have any desire to run in between the group on their own.  I don't think they will improve all that much if they don't try to push themselves. 

On the Parkrun, I finished with 2 other women - one who had been running for 2 years (and had done a few 10ks; and another who had been running for 6 months and was still run-walking.  This has made me think that it's not perhaps the length of time that people have been running that matters, but what they have done in that time.

I will listen to your advice (and the echoes of Squeakz and Parkrunfan et al) and not push too much too soon.  

What's your plans for the week?  I'll need to look at the schedules to see what mine should beimage

• It's stress related, too much going on in January and it should all clear in the next few months.

I'm after a sub 2hr at some stage this year : sub 2 hr half marathon thread

I agree that your best bet is now to chose a programme.

• I hope it all does clear soon for you.

I had a look at the sub 2 hr half marathon thread - Jeez - I'd be happy with even three hours!image  And all that about how you should progress the distance with your training and will naturally get faster...mmm, I will just keep concentrating on the distance and leave the speed to you proper runners! 

It's interesting to see the discussion though:  everyone (including me) still seems to need a goal to get them out there, whether that's to knock a few minutes off a PB; or to complete a bigger distance.  

I'll need to find a 10k for next month!

• Well done LG - sounds like you're doing really well!  I did my first 5k in 36 minutes!  I've not had the courage to do a Parkrun yet. I'm using the fact MrANTB uses the car on a Saturday morning as my excuse at the moment...

Don't worry about 'feeling a fraud'. I still feel like that at the start of some races, and sometimes even when I go to my running club.  Don't doubt yourself tho, it's not fancy lycra and a Garmin that makes you a runner, it's what's in your heart! 

Running, especially when you're starting out, requires a lot of mental strength, as you have realised. It is very easy to skip a run here and there, as you've noticed with folk at your jogging group, but keeping at it brings it's own rewards. I love that you were playing tricks with yourself during your Parkrun. The conversations I have with myself during races are amazing, I usually hit at least one point of utter despair and a couple of euphoria. 

I'm really enjoying reading your updates, thanks!  

• Thanks for that TB, especially for sharing those internal conversations image   You must be right about the mental strength aspect.  I found it funny how I was switching from 3rd person to first person:  "You're here now, you might as well get on with it"; to, "I can do this!"...

Johnny Blaze wrote (see)

Try and aim for a race of shorter distance - say 10k or possibly a half marathon in April to give yourself an inerim target to work towardsand get used to how races work.

I've decided to take this advice.  There's a half marathon in Edinburgh in April (formerly the 'Chris Hoy') that I could sign up for as that's 6 weeks before my marathon... 

There's also a 10k - The Jack Crawford Springburn Cup - on the 12th of March, but that's a "proper race".  It sounds a bit intimidating, as though the others will all be sprinting round,  I've contacted the organisars to ask if it's suitable for a beginner like me, though I already doubt it!  Are most 10ks like that?  I think I need more of a "fun run"image

I would like to have these interim targets to work towards and to get used to how races work, as Johnny suggested, but on the other hand, I'm a bit worried that they will put me off if they are too competitive and/or if I don't make it around before the cut-off.  The last point is silly, given that I want to attempt the whole 26.2 miles in May!  But perhaps I'd be best going in blissfully unaware of what I'm letting myself in for?image

The touble is, if I think too far ahead (or about that huge distance), it puts me off and I worry I'll never do it.  Just taking it one training day at a time is much easier, I find.

And TB, I loved the parkrun experience (in the end).  All those people giving up their time to volunteer to run it and all those runners, turning up, early on a Saturday in the freezing cold (iwth not a medal or a goody bag in sight) - it creates a great energy overy a very do-able distance.  Try your local one when you get the chance (remember to apply for the barcode you need to print and take with you on the Friday before at the latest).

• Proper runner? What's one of those then? I don't own any lycra so I'm sure you're not talking about me. image

If you can do 10k in under 1h30m you won't be last in a normal 10K race. The main thing you will get from a race is how not to start off too fast and to "run your own race" although I suspect you are getting that experience from your parkruns.

• Hey, I own lycra!    Forget all your PBs - I'm a proper runner after all (and after only a few weeks). image

Thanks, Tim.  My advice to any new beginner will now be, "Get yourself kitted out in lycra, splatter a bit of mud on your trainers, and get yourself one of those headband/ear warmer-type things" (not even sure what they're called).

I'll start training for that 10k then, thanks. 

• Well, I did my usual run of just under 4 miles today.  It was damp and blowing a gale outside and I couldn't be bothered.  I was in a right tetchy mood when I set off, moaning inwardly at "having to" come out and run.  Needless to say, I didn't do very well (where was my positive mental attitude?).  I stopped to walk about 3 times!  Everything seemed to ache and I had a strange sort of stitch in my bum (might have been the ball joint where the thigh bone meets the hip or something).  I was running into the wind and, although it felt good and cool, that might have slowed me down a bit.  It took me 50 minutes..

I heard back from one of the organisers of the 10k and he doesn't think it's suitable for me - most complete it in under an hour (a fair few in half an hour!) so I'll forget that one.  I'm not sure the 10k distance is a good interim race for someone training a marathon?  I'm probably totally wrong.  But how can people sustain that speed around 26.2 miles?  I know some elite runners must if they can do a marathon in 2 or three hours, but the majority?  Mmmm.

I'm now realising what a competitive sport running is...it's all a bit off-putting for a non-runner like me, but ever onwards!  I can't let the doubts creep in just yetimage  And I can't let a bad session put me off.  I still got a lot out of today, not least the exhilaration of running in the wind.  Oh and I've ordered an Ipod shuffle - maybe some music will motivate me round.

Hope everyone else is having a good week?

• I ahd a run like that on monday - i was tired, it was feezing cold and I really didn't want to go out and as a result was sulking. It did make me form a fairly good coping strategy though. For teh first little bit i was telling myself off for sulking, the i started repeating to myself that i can do it and i know i can, followed by shouting at myself that if i want the results i have to put in the work. FInally in the last foot dragging mile I was picking small landmarks and telling myself i only need to get to that and when i did i'd give myself a pat on the back and pick the next one (all this done mentally - i'm not a complete nutter running around london shouting at myself).

Finished up doing my run with no walks and felt good at the end - mind over matter

• Well done, Katalyah!  When did you start running and how far (or how long, timewise) can you run for now?  Sounds like you've got the right attitutde anyway.  wish you lived near me and we could go out togetherimage
  • I've run before but not for a year and done nothig for 6 months excercise wise. I re started on the 5th jan and have been running at least 3 times a week and sometimes 4 times. I can now do 40 mins (4 miles) okish- although knackered by the end of it.

It is very much a mind over matter when it comes to the the longer ones. if something hurts i do ease off to walk but if it's just the belief that i need to i tell myself off.

sometimes i do wish i could find another like minded runner (don't fancy a club) or could have a dog. then i wouldn't have to put so much effort in to not saying everything out loud image

• The race-formerly-known-as-the-Chris-Hoy-half-marathon is probably a good one to aim for. There will be loads of people there - there were over three thousand finishers last year and the ones at the back took nearly three and a half hours - so there will be all sorts taking part and lots of beginners. Also, there's the advantage that a fair bit of it is the same course as the marathon, so not only will you get a bit of race practice, you'll be able to see what the actual course is like, and try out logistics and travel for the big day.

And I love 'I'm here now so I might as well get on with it' as a mantra - I'm going to borrow that one!image