Kennet & Avon Canal MTB ride

Is it obvious that being in geographic limbo I've not been game to sign up for an IM this year, so am dreaming up daft things to do instead ? Apart from being a suitably daft thing to do, this could be a great excuse to buy semi-proper MTB and put my old one back in the skip from where I rescued it about 9 years back.

It's just over 100 miles from Bristol to Reading, mostly on the tow path with a couple of diversions for private land or crap paths. Apart from the locks at Devizes it's pretty flat, and apart from the odd dog walker/fisherman providing a moving target it's pretty quick going, so most of us should be able to crank out easyish 100 MTB miles in a day. (he says confidently never having done more than about an hour's MTBing ...)
Thinking we could hit Bristol for a few beers Friday night and ride back to Reading Saturday, or maybe ride out to Bristol early Saturday for a few beers there Saturday night with families/friend etc. Maybe book a big pub and get a few peeps together ? Endless variations on those themes. Thinking Feb/March some time so it's still MTB weather, and shouldn't upset too many people's IM training plans.

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/cycling/routes/41/kennet-and-avon-cycle-route-1

Any takers ? Dustboy - get your poncy MTB out for this one ?

Comments