Amsterdam Marathon Sunday 16 October 2011

Comments

• At this stage 6h 29m 59s is a pb for me image
  • PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    I am in too. Great event.
  • Can I ask if anyone can recommend a training plan for a first time marathoner?  I've got books, and there is the training tab on here...but I'm looking for the personal recommendations - and to learn from other people's mistakes so hopefully I don't have to make too many!!  Thanks image
  • Hi Pegg - I usually use smartcoach because you can specify how many times a week you are able to train and it bases the training speeds on your last race time.
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm in for this too, and am also going with Running Crazy. About 6 of us from our Club going, so I guess I'll probably see Lady Wot Jogs et al there image I've not used Running Crazy before, but others at our Club have and they have great things to say about them. So looking forward to it.

Just got to get VLM and then the Adidas Thunder Run out of the way first......!!

• Thanks Min - looks like I'll be doing a tempo run tonight then image.  Although I've almost got time to run the programme twice so I think I'll see how I go for a few weeks, see how my pace is going and I might amend it, repeating a few weeks...

Is anyone using any races in the run up to Amsterdam as training races?

• You're welcome! 

I haven't got anything booked in yet but if you find anything Pegg in your neck of the woods or mine.... or anywhere else good for a weekend away, let me know!

*waves to everyone else* image

• LS21 -  You'll have a great time with Running Crazy.   I also have to get through VLM, but training for that not going too well.  image
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

LWJ - "Training not going well".....Do I need to get on the bike on Sunday with a megaphone?

LS21 - See you at the TR24. I did the `little sister` version on Sunday...that wasn`t so little image

• Hello Mr.K - I'll start carb loading tonight then shall i?  
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Carb loading not anti oxidants image 
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Cheers. Mr K - did you do the Thunder Run last year? I did (in the Male Pairs category) - absolutely superb event.
  • musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    Curly45 wrote (see)
    I would say the full is a lot better than the half - the half starts at 1pm (or did last year) so you are running into the slower marathon runners which is a pta because it means pacing is difficult and you have to run around them! Hopefully they will change it this year back to them starting at the same time...

I have been over there every year since 2005 and the half has alway been in the afternoon. Done the half in 2005, 2006, 2008 + 2010, with the full in 2007 and 2009. I will be back in 2011, probably just for the half but you never know....

I have always booked independentley - flight (from Bristol) are offered by Easy and KLM but I have alway gone with KLM as they have a choice of times and are more likely to get you there the same day if there is a problem with the plan.

• Hi everyone i am entered for the marathon which will be my first one in 2 years after injury it is also my birthday so something extra to look forward too.

Im British and  live in Berlin so will also be interested to match the courses,Berlin is totally flat and very fast ( world record course ) 

• Hey! I'm also thinking of doing the half marathon in Amsterdam. It would be my first on abroad. My partner wants to stay a little longer and to combine it with a elongated holiday. I'm hoping we'll be able to do everything as planned. How many days before hand would you be travelling to Amsterdam? And are you all staying in Hotels or is someone booking an apartment in Amsterdam? Would be great to get some feedback form people who have already been. 

• Just realised i hadnt actually entered this despite booking flights and hotel months ago!

Anyway thats me entered now and looking forward to starting trainingimage

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Thomas I've ran the Amsterdam marathon three times (2007, 2009, 2010), skipping it this year to run Berlin.

I normally fly over on the Saturday morning, register in the afternoon and spent a couple of days in the city after the event. I've never stayed in appartments, but there are planty of good hotels. The last couple of times I stayed a the Owl Hotel near Vondel Park. Getting to the start is easy, just head for the Metro down at Centraal Station, or of you are lucky to see a space jump on the number 16 tram to the stadium on race day.

It's a great event, you'll enjoy it.

• I'm in!! Should be my 3rd marathon. Looking for flights and hotel now. There should be 4 of us going. Any suggestions for hotels / apartments appreciated. See u there image

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    i'm in - also looking at hotels, last year i stayed near the airport although if anyone could suggest a good cheap town one? Just run Paris and London and it hit me on finishing London i had no races booked!! Still I can sleep now image But my missus will kill me when she finds out i have booked another international one - got in trouble for Paris image
  • ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    when do folks travel over and back - Travel out on Sat and back Monday or should I travel Friday.  Not sure i want to fly back on Sunday after first maratahon and want to get some time there before.  Either doing this or New York as my first maratahon - will know more next week.  Decided against loch Ness as I'd like a flatter route to challenge on first time! 
  • Shedboy.  Myself and running club are travelling out on the Saturday and back on the Tuesday.
  • ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    I like that schedule even better!!! s'pose it's such a short flight that out on sat is cool
  • Hello all,

Does anybody know how fast the race fills its places? I'm talking a friend into it but he isn't ready to commit just yet until he's assessed his fitness...

Thanks image
  • +3 for this one, my wife, my neighbour and my good self all entered.  Second marathon for me after Paris last year, the other 2 are first timers, having both vowed they would never run one!

I was planning on running this last year, but injuries over the summer meant I had to pull out, still went over for the weekend though as flights and hotels were booked, and had a great time in Amsterdam in general (how can you not!), and also supporting the run, so really looking forward to going back and running this year, it looked a great event, and the stadium finish was awesome.

SE - as of 14th April, 6500 people had entered, and last year there were around 31K who ran, so looks like you still have plenty of time to decide.

• I'm desperate to do a marathon however having only signed up for my first 10k in Glasgow for this Sept do you folks think I'd be silly to sign up for a marathon just now?  Could I train for the marathon and use the Glasgow 10k as a shorter training run?

Any advice would be great.

• Slowburner - if you're only just planning your first 10km for September then I personally think you would be nuts to contemplate doing a marathon the following month!  But hey, we're all nuts together here image.  Why not do it next year instead and give yourself longer to prepare for it?  or choose a spring marathon (Paris is cool!)

I'm planning to arrive in Amsterdam on the Friday and leave on the Monday but we are driving and will be leaving the UK on the Thursday and not getting home til the following Wednesday (thought we'd make a nice long weekend of it - and hubby will driving, not me!)

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    just got a decent price on the Hilton at the airport for 2 nights - friday and saturday -fly back sunday night. Found it a decent place to stop last year as it is so easy to get into town on the train it did not matter if i was not staying in the town (obviously not drinking!) and it was really quick to the start/finish.
    Training starts today once i can get rid of this knee pain - think my IT band is waving the white flag after doing Paris and London. Anyone ever used one of those rollers - just ordered one.
  • musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    SlowEngineer wrote (see)
    Hello all, Does anybody know how fast the race fills its places? I'm talking a friend into it but he isn't ready to commit just yet until he's assessed his fitness... Thanks image

in all the years I have gone over there the race has never been filled before the closing date, but there is always a first I suppose

The numbers that they quote for entries includes the marathon, half, 7.5k (well known distance) business relays and may incluse the kids' 1k races as well