Options

Amsterdam Marathon Sunday 16 October 2011

1181920212224»

Comments

• Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Next for me is Portsmouth marathon in December. Probably sneak a local race or two in before then! Next year is Pilgrims challenge, grizzly then comrades
  • Options

johnas you got to meet the mighty neilmc! result. Good race mate and excellent time. I remember thinking when I was chatting to you 'you better get a move on race is about to start...'. Maybe see you at TW half in 2012? I need more hills for more strength in these old legs of mine.

andyc209 I'll be joining you on Berlin 2012 I reckon with my good mates Serge and Aidan. Just trying to get ourselves organised to run this one. But VLM 2012 is next for me.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

hahaha... i hadnt realised the bag drop was at the stadium! A good warm up though racing over there!! Will definitely be at TW Half, either running or marshalling. And that's an open invite to everyone - come a do the best half in the country (especially if you love hills - we've got a blinder at mile 8!)

I'm really tempted by Berlin too next year but also have my eye on the London Ultra inFeb - nothing booked but would love to give it a bash.

And jeremy - the comrades!! I had the pleasure of holidaying and running with the Hout Bay Harriers in SA this year and they all love that race and told me it's a must. That and the 2 Oceans Marathon which goes through the town. that'll be amazing!

• Options

Actually had the best time ever! Loved it all! Managed to complete in 4hours 28 mins which I was delighted with for a first attempt!

Wish I could bottle the finishing feeling. The Scottish Flag running vest was definatley a great idea too as it got me some encouragement and cheers on the route round!

Now for the next one.......

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Hello all -

Late post here....only came back yesterday image I`ll write a blog later

I missed my target time (sub 3:45) - I got 3:52:28 in the end. I walked the water stations in the last 15 Km. I saw so many folks walking with 2Km to go....

Bag drop was funny - I was looking for the letter that matched my Surname image

My splits -

5 Kilometer 27:07 (27:07)
    10 Kilometer 52:57 (25:50)
    15 Kilometer 1:19:02 (26:05)
    20 Kilometer 1:45:11 (26:09)
    Half marathon 1:51:04
    25 Kilometer 2:11:31 (26:20)
    30 Kilometer 2:40:13 (28:42)
    35 Kilometer 3:10:02 (29:49)
    40 Kilometer 3:39:41 (29:39)  (amazing but 3:39:41 is my PB )

End result - 3:52:28

My number - 9496

Phil Wicks did alright (21st in 2:15:37) - well done him image

30M this Saturday night image I`ll take it a bit easier  

• Options

I managed to get round in 4.31. Which was a PW by 25 minutes but strangely I was happy with given the severe lack of training I'd done.

Really enjoyed the course, will definitely consider coming back in future.

• Options
    i think i'm ready to run again.....but its bloody freezing now so time to dig out those running tights!
  • Options

Hi guys! Back on here after a few utterly briiliant days in Berlin. Was gonna get back on here Mon night but we hit the town straight away after getting there and haven't had time to get online since, too busy sightseeing, eating, and drinking loads (espesh the drinking/eating bit!). Gave me food for thought to do the mara there next year, may sign up in the next day!

Back to Amsters mara though: Some absolute cracking posts on here - PB's falling like stones all over the place! Pity me and the support crew (Donna) missed Ian66 and BB, woulda been great to've met up, Ian, you coulda stayed with me and the Mrs, we had a corking night haha! BB, your race report is amazing reading old son, a real triumph of mind over matter, take a bow chief, that was a serious effort considering your body was giving up.

As Johnas has explained, meeting him pre race was a very spooky coincidence, you couldn't make it up really, over 9000 folk, and we bump into each other, weird. Sorry I didn't twig it was you immediately though mate, my mind was so on the race I reckon I'd not have recognised my own mother if she'd walked up to me heh heh! Brilliant to meet up and start the race with you and Murph, could tell you were on a mission, I reckon now I shoulda just stuck wi you boys, but my strategy all the way was to keep it tight for the 1st part of the race and then go for it in the 2nd part, as it was, I held it until mile 19 at just under sub3 pace (about 4.49 on the garmin) then just stuck the foot down from M19 onwards, my splits towards the end are great for my confidence!

As I said on Monday, also great to meet you and Murph for a few beers after as well, just topped an altogether superb day/weekend (Hearts also won, and hibs los,  on the Saturday, get in!). Be a pleasure to meet up any time, Murph, definitely see you in the GFA pen at London, we'll have to keep in touch to arrange, no danger I'm not running with you there! I'm in London now and again, if both you lads want to ever want to drop into town (or after work in your case Johnas) and meet up for a beer or 5 of an evening then I'd be well up for that.

As for next races, doing the Jedburgh 10k next Sunday, just wanted to do a race after Amsters to keep the post mara blues away really, then it's the long, dark winter days/nights of training on my lonesome in prep for London, will chuck in a few local halfs and 10k's here and there as usual.

On the subject, when's the TW half then? BB/Johnas give me some info and if I can make it then I may well come on down South and do it. ***Runs off to check it up online***

No running till Sunday though for me, gonna give the body a rest.

Cheers for now all!

NM.

• Options

Here's my splits:

Bib number2966

Name Neil Mackay

City Edinburgh

5 km21:45 (21:45)

10 km42:51 (21:06)

15 km1:04:08 (21:17)

20 km1:25:19 (21:11)

21,1 km1:29:5625 km1:46:34 (21:15)

30 km2:07:44 (21:10)

35 km2:28:13 (20:29)

40 km2:48:51 (20:38)

Net time2:57:44

Gros time2:58:29

Speed14,244 Km/HourDistance

MarathonPlace 98 / M40

And just another quickie, Johnas, got your PM's mate, cheers, will check out the Dammers FB page, I'll get back to you later as just off out soon.

• Options

Neil fantastic run mate you must be chuffed. Shows beer does have the right kind of carbs!!!! I was 1080 in the M40. so 982 other over 40 year old guys crossed the line after you until I did!

TW half is 26 feb 2012. it's one of the top races down here and a very challenging course. I reckon its a run to get in as part of VLM 2012 training. Oh and I wont be in the GFA pen....

• Options
    Anyone still aching? My toenails are still mashed, very little running done this week?
  • Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Stopped aching wednesday and only had one small blister. Are your toenails coming off KW? Thank goodness I have never suffered with toenails. Not run yet (but shoudl have!) - decided on a full week off then 8 weeks from today I have Portsmouth marathon.image
  • Options
    ADGADG ✭✭✭
    no running at all last week except running for the train on Thursday, about 400 yards. Just did my first proper post mara run of 4.5 in 8 something mm and all seems fine.
    apart from the expensive prices in Amsterdam and the crowded bits on the course, I loved this mara.

Now to move on...London and Berlin 2012 for me.
  • Options
    Yes. I am in the process of losing three toenails. Each have blood blisters underneath them which are making them very tender.
  • Options
    Oh and Im sleeping for England at the moment too.
  • Options
    shocking cough and laryngitis all week - sounded like Barry White - done 5 miles today though and feel ok
  • Options

ADG ditto London and Berlin for me too in 2012. Just tried registering for Berlin they rejected me because my credit card expires may 2012!!! weird system.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

ouch... sounds nasty KW. think your shoes might be a wee bit too small?

well i was out and running again by  Weds last week - total 13 miles for the week and it was soooo nice to going running with no specific plan in place. No MP runs, no LSR etc - just running for the fun of it... Lovely!

10km x-country this Saturday - get to retire the road shoes and bring out the new Innov8 X-Talon 212s. Bring on the mud and muck...exciting!

Think I'm going to do Berlin too next year. Looking forward to the thread already 

• Options
    Ive just registered for Berlin. As for the toe nails, soreness has now gone. I don't think its the shoes as Ive had 3 different pairs, two different brands and a pair of racers and it happens in all of them. Just got to man up I think.
  • Options

first run post Amsterdam, 5 miles easy. Tried to keep my heart rate below 76% HR max but had to start going faster and could not seem to get it over 60% thinking wow i am doing an 8 inute mile I must be super fit.....oh no my HRM is not on properly, adjusted it HR was at 87%...doh!

P&D post mara 5 week schedule is loads of recovery runs is anyone trying this out?

• Options

BB - my work colleague had the same problem and it was suggested that as you only hire the chip they need to have a means to bill you if you don't return it and a CC that has expired before the race means they are out of pocket!! It should have been at the beginning and not just as you try to pay though!!

ADG - Berlin is lot more crowded than Amsterdam, all the way around. Not sure what pen you have put yourself in but get right to the front of it as some parts this year were a bit narrow for the number of people due to building works etc and the further back you are at the start (F, G or H) the more you have to pass.

• Options
    ADGADG ✭✭✭
    i just put down my last time...3 49 at amsterdam, going to try and blast a 3 30 next year...I had to use my 2nd choice card to register for berlin, 106 euros is scary but the fees are soon forgotten ...london and berlin both are crowded from what I hear so tactics of running fast/slow fartlek style instead of a steady repetitive pace I suppose. really looking forward to next  year, busting 4 at my 6th attempt is sinking in image 
  • Options

Hey fellas, great to see the thread is still alive and kicking, even if some of us may not feel like we are!

I've just done the same as a few of you guys, slowly back into it, 1st run was Friday (though walked for bloody miles when in Berlin!), 4 miler, and have down a coupla 5milers since then, like Johnas, it's great just to go out and forget times, pace and all that palaver, just get out for the love of it, brilliant. Already put the 'TRAINING STARTS HERE' in my diary on 18th Dec for London though. And also signed me and the Mrs up for the Jedburgh 10k this Sunday.

Johnas mate, how'd the X-Country go on Saturday, how were the new shoes?

BB, Feb for the TW ½ eh, interesting, I'll give it some thought, see how it works into my London training schedule.

Jeremy, good luck in the Pompey mara mate, I did Edinburgh 5wks after London this year, actually enjoyed it and had a better run than London!

KW - I've had the odd problem with blackened toenails in the past, not painful though. I do have pretty long toes though, wonder if that's the problem, or is that utter nonsense?

AndyC - Barry White, haha, good one. Hope yer better now.

Interesting a lot of you have signed up for Berlin, nice 1, after being there last week would love to do it, bl**dy awesome place, by the way, I could still see the blue line on the road in some parts from the race there a few weeks back. Seriously considering it now you lads are haha! Only thing is the Mrs won't be on hols from school at the time and I really don't fancy coming back straight after the race, if I'm going that far for a run, I like to have a break afterwards. Maybe send her packing on Sun night and stay a few days myself haha.

• Options

Berlin had to do a paper form entry to get round the credit card issues

ADG well done on breaking 4 at the 6th attempt. Amsterdam was my 6th attempt too but I ended up with 4-01-01. ALthough 62 seconds is actually a massive amount to try and make up over the last couple of miles so its not as near as it sounds!!! Fingers crossed for London....

• Options

YEah, forgot to say, WELL DONE ADG.

Speaking to Mrs later to discuss holiday plans for next year as would like to try and get into Berlin. If we can't work it out then reckon it'll be back to Dammers, or maybe another shot at Chicago.

• Options

Hello everyoneimage

Have been away for 2 weeks after Amsterdam so only properly back online now.  Well done everyone again, some amazing times!

Johnas- you probably knew it was me at the airport as I was checking out everyone trying to identify potential runners...

Feel like I'm back in the game.  Started running again 5 days after the mara.  Not easy in SA where I was holidaying-hot hot hot and not a single flat surface in sight.  So instead of doing recovery runs ended up with a week of some serious hill training... but the legs didn't seem to mind so all is well.

What next?  A couple of 10k races and xc over the next couple of months and then will start the 18 week 55-75 mile P&D schedule.  I'm thinking Copenhagen in May.  Will be aiming for 3h35 I think.  A lot more long runs with big chunks at MP next time I think should do it.

Was very glad that I managed to keep the pace until the end (a bit of a slow down in the last 10ks but nothing like coming to a crawl which happend the first time round).  Bring on the next challenge.

Bib no 3974image

Happy running everyone!

• Options
    Oh... and it's New York for me next November... otherwise would join you guys in Berlinimage
  • Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

that's the spirit Mon - get the next one in the diary, take the learnings fro this one and set your target! I'll be using the P+D schedule for Berlin next year and hoping to knock some time off the PB too!

Just in case you're interested, Running Free magazine has done a write up on Amsterdam Half Marathon this month. Link is to the digital copy of the magazine - it's on page 34

PS. Jealous at New York! 

• Options

Amsterdam was my 1st ever Marathon and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. 3:44:48 certainly put me in very high spirits and at 49! I've entered Berlin for 2012 (could not do Paris as returning from holiday that day image ). Ran Worksop ½ at the weekend and was surprised at only being 3 minutes off my PB. So will be looking for about 2 marathons and lots of ½’s between now and Berlin. Hoping to shave at least 15 minutes off my time. Covered 800 miles running so far this year.

• Options

Amsterdam was my first marathon and a really good experience. I learnt alot and plan to do some 1/2s next year with another Euorpean marathon the following year.

So certainly a good introduction to marathons.

Although now struggling  to get back into a schedule of running with the dark nights and currently no goal to aim for!