Amsterdam Marathon Sunday 16 October 2011

Comments

• Cheers Minardi.  I reckon I was just wishing to compete rather than actually seriously going for it.

Paris is a lot more realistic so I think I will pencil in the most beautiful city in Europe as my first marathon image

Cheers for the advice

• I'm in.  Will be my second one after Madrid two weeks ago.  Hoping for it to be a bit cooler and flatter...
  • i'm in and so is the OH, wedding anniversary present to each otherimage
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    i still haven't told my missus - will get in loads of trouble! Was in the dog house after all the money we spent at Paris and London.
  • andyc209 wrote (see)
    i still haven't told my missus - will get in loads of trouble! Was in the dog house after all the money we spent at Paris and London.
    lol... I try to pick destinations which my hubby wants to visit... then he can't really complain if during the trip I pop out for a few hours to do a marathonimage
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    did that with Paris - going up the Eiffel Tower was on her 40 things to do before she is 40 list - but that still did not stop her moaning about the costs. Then the week later for London i had booked the official Holiday Inn package with coach and massage for £300 for two nights. This was way to expensive until she decided to run the marathon, then it was a good deal!! You can never win.

I have booked the hotel and the race already just need to do flights and once everything is paid for i will tell her - she knows i am doing something in the Autumn and i have said i have not decided yet, either Amsterdam, Brussels, Chester or Liverpool (guess where she thinks i should do)
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    yep and considering i am from the Wirral originally it makes sense but i did Chester last year and given that Liverpool Council have screwed Chester by naming the same date i am not doing it out of principle. Would do Chester but having done two in a week with Paris and London i don't really want to do it again - i want a PB in Amsterdam. Great course along the river chasing the rowers - just making sure i am ready for those couple of underpasses.
  • how do the underpasses compare with those in Paris - how much hill-training am I going to need!
  • Good question Ian - I hope the underpasses aren't as smelly as that long one in Paris image
  • I wouldn't worry about the smell of the underpass as there is only one I can recall and its very short and open. Oh and don't bother about hill training either as its after 38 kilometres so its all mental by then rather than physical, not good when you are falling apart as I was at that stage last year - looking forward to putting that right this year, now just need to enterimage

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    nothing to worry about - there was one that came as a shock after having done 30k of plum flat running - nothing like Paris - so forget hill training. For me it was more a case of being aware they exist whereas last year it was - where did they come from?? The course id fantastic, running through a city then suddenly along a river, chasing rowers, running past windmills and back to the city again. The only thing that got me last year was during the last few km I expected to see the stadium in the same way you see Big Ben at London but you don't see it till you are about to turn into it so you don't get that big spur that you do in London on seeing Big Ben. But it is my favourite course by far.

Out of interest though, has anyone ever had a problem with the tramlines, i remember nearly turning my ankle in one? So as not to spook any noobies, there are tram lines on parts of the course but they are fairly insignificant - nothing to worry about.
  • yes, the 'aromatic' paris underpass, I remember it well!

38K, the finish line virtually in sight, I'm sure we'll all be powering up that slight incline like it wasn't there

smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

I walked the last couple of miles last year (as a spectator), from the entry to the vondelpark all the way to the finish, and I remember thinking too that they must have hidden the stadium, it just appears from nowhere right at the end.

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    after Paris and London I am just looking forward to running in cool weather image
  • true, if anyone upstairs is listening, then cool, bright and no wind would be lovely!!
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

just been on Google Maps, think this was the underpass - nothin major but at 38k it comes as a surprise

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/491681/Gallery/amsterdam.jpg

not much of a drop in but a nice little climb out.

if the weather is like last year - clear sky, sunny, about -1oC at the start but about 6-7oC by the end and no wind - it will be perfect

• MINUS 1???? I shall be bringin me thermals then imageimage
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    just remember last weekend being bitterly cold but it was near perfect to run in. With it being a stadium finish it was really easy to just turn up in layers of clothes and sit in the stands for a while with the missus and then with about 15 minutes to go you can strip down leaving an old top on for warmth, go down to the start and throw that at the last minute.
  • Minus 1 sounds great.  Much better than 26 I experienced in Madrid.  The underpasses worry me more when it comes to garmin's behaviour,  In Madrid I lost satellite reception when going under an underpass after which my garmin paused and went completely bonkers for about a mile (apparently my pace dropped to 7min/mile- so not!) which then of course impacted on my average pace and from then on I had no idea what pace I was running at... I shouldn't probably depend on it so much but I do... It didn't really have much impact on my result- I lost all interest in pacing myself over the last few kms but I wouldn't want this to happen again...
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    can you really lose signal in short underpasses like that? I don't run with GPS - I just stick to my MI Coach which i know is not as acurate but gives me a rough idea. Does anyone else run with MI Coach - how accurate do they find the pacing info - when i was running Paris it was telling me 7m miles but on passing timing/km markers it was nearer 8m miles.
  • Well... it could've been a bit longer... difficult to say looking at the picture.  Hopefully it won't let me down next time.
  • The underpass isn't v long so I would be surprised if you lost signal, I certainly didn't last year, that said my Garmin din't cover itself with glory as it clocked me a total mileage of 26.97 and I wasn't weaving in and out of people as its just not that busy. I thought I had paced a perfect half as gamrin showed it at just under 1.29 but actually went through halfway in 1:30:30 - wasn't best pleased at the time as meant I needed a negative split for a sub 3.  That never happened, so garmin malfunction was added to list of excuses - in reality wasn't fit enough or fast enoughimage.
  • I do find that my 305 always tends to show slightly more mileage that I expected to cover.  Even on the track where I'm sure I'm not weaving... Is it normal? 
  • I think it's normal for the garmins to over-measure slightly, based on anecdotal evidence on these here forums.

I think the lesson to be learnt is that you should only use your garmin-derived pace as a guide, and if you really want/need accurate splits, then you should use the distance markers that the race organisers place along the route, which should, in theory, be pretty accurate!

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    i agree with that - after Paris and the questionable pace results of the MI Coach I went back to doing the maths in London using the clocks and the distance markers. Does worry me though as i use it a lot in training. How accurate do people find these on-line mapping tools such as Map My Run?
  • I only use map my run as a rough guide if my garmin was playing up for whatever reason!  I tend to use the garmin for every run but bear in mind that they can be out about 5% or so (can't remember the exact figure but they're not 100% accurate at any one time).  i used mine once to time an egg being boiled and it managed to travel several hundred feet in my kitchen - and my kitchen is definitely not that long!

• My 305 tended to overmeasure - shorter runs it wasn't noticeable but half marathons it would show me running an extra mile sometimes.  The 310xt seems to be much more accurate though.  And waterproof too - so I'll have no excuse not to get out this weekend image.  Just trying to decide which route to run...I want to do 12 miles but I chose a really hilly route last weekend (11.5miles) so I want something a lot flatter this time around...
  • robotrobot ✭✭✭
    i did barcelona in march and garmin clocked 42.5km
  • Finally got round to entering....now which pub are we meeting in afterwardsimage.
  • That is a very important question but not being familiar with the area, I am unable to make suggestions!