Amsterdam Marathon Sunday 16 October 2011

Comments

• I'm going with Running Crazy so will be going to their post race party  image
  • 'Hole in the Wall/Hoopmans' Bar in the Leidseplein.
  • stayed near the leidesplein last year, lots of bars and restaurants though dont remember the names, I'd be happy to meet up there

• PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    Its where RW forumites met last year. Very sociable it was too. How are you Stephen? I have Edinburgh this weekend. Predicted 20mph winds, not ideal for a crack at a PB.
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Re Garmin set up for Marathons - just do this - works a treat and takes all the underpass, weaving, measuring short or long stuff out of it. If you want to run say 2'45 then you need to be at 6'17 average on the 'Time - Average Lap' field. You're manually hitting the lap button yourself, so it doesn't matter a jot how far your Garmin thinks you've ran. Just hit lap at every mile and make sure that field stays at or below your target and you're sorted.

I had 3 things displayed on my main screen at London - current HR, Current Pace Lap (so I had a good idea if I was on track pace-wise for that current mile) and 'Time Average Lap'. That's it. I did have the stopwatch on a separate screen, but never really looked at it truth be told. It really does work and takes all the whats and ifs out of the equation.

• Hi KW, I'm doing well, though it took 4 weeks to recover from Barcalona.  How's your training gone?  You will find that the wind will be a tailwind for most of the 18 miles to the turn, with the last 8 pretty brutal.

I'm in for the half on Sunday, but will probably hang around for general support and to take photos of friends running the Marathon. 

The lure of Amsterdam was too strong and I've entered again this year.

• PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    Training has gone ok. As you say Barcelona took some recovering from. Managed new PBS at 5 & 10k and also 10 miles. Suffered at the Leeds half two weeks ago but they had them hill type of things to negotiate. I am a bit worried about a sore foot but ibuprofen should see me through. Was hoping to crack 3:10 which was optimistic in the first place but I suspect the wind will put paid to that.
  • I live along the route and always watched the poor suckers doing the marathon from my balcony. And this year I am one of them. The underpass on the Stadhouderskade is very short and not smelly at all. The wind is the biggest risk by far. I train on the Amstel section of the route as it is the prettiest by far and even in the balmy weather we have had this spring, it is still quite breezy.
    And the best bars are the ones with all those Belgian beers on tap... And there are loads of those around.
  • thanks for the update pancakes, always good to have some local knowledge.  i'm just heading out to do 7 miles in very windy conditions, sounds like it should be good practice!
  • Make sure you save some beer for me - I'll be the last one to arrive! image
  • Wind? Hmmmm... As long as it isn't 80mph like yesterday. Could barely stand up never mind run!
  • robotrobot ✭✭✭
    i have often had trouble standing up on the leidseplein. mind you, this time i won't be drinking (at least not until i have finished the race)
  • PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    Having just done Edinburgh, I am so looking forward to this one. A proper race organised by people for the benefit of the participants. it will be a joy.
  • robotrobot ✭✭✭
    yeah should be good - i am squeezing in helsinki before then. i would think they are quite on the money when it come to organisation
  • Keyboard - I heard Edinburgh was a bit of a shambles at the end, it got an absolute slating on the RW feedback, can't believe no spectators were allowed at the finish - no such worries at Amsterdam with stadium with big screen and announcer calling out your name.  Hope your run went well depsite organisation.
  • less than 20 weeks to go guys, time to get your ass off the sofa if you haven't already!

what training plans are people planning to follow? - I'm going with a Hal Higdon one this time, been following his 12 week spring traing schedule to build up some speed/strength in the legs, then going for one of his 18 week intermediate plans, not quite sure which one yet - depends if I decide to go for 2 or 3 20 milers.

• Ian66 wrote (see)

less than 20 weeks to go guys, time to get your ass off the sofa if you haven't already!

My arse is well and truly off the sofa..............  it's money in the bank i need to sort image

• I was due to start a 20 week programme tomorrow, but have a groin strain and have to rest it for 1 more week.

I didn't think i would ever say this - I am missing running and it is really messing my head up.

I am doing the full and my wife is doing the half. My 3rd marathon and my wife's first evemt of any sort.

Really looking forward to it.

As a side issue. i am going to get the train & ferry, rather than fly cattle class on Easyjet/Ryanair.

Anyone done this??

• We're ferrying to Calais and then driving up - hubby refuses to fly with sleazyjet. 

I haven't decided which schedule to follow yet - better get a move on I guess!

• Hello,

I just wanted to check I got this right, the amsterdame full marathon starts at a different time and place to the half marathon? I looks like the half starts at half 1 in the afternoon and not from the statdium like the full marathon.

P.

• It starts at 1.30 and it looks like it starts just outside the stadium and finishes in it.

I just hope i have finished the full marathon by the time my wife finishes the half.

• probably early days to be asking this, but anyone know what drinks/foods etc will be available at the food stations along the route?  Obviously there will be water, but any particular brand of energy drinks?
  • Ian66 - the energy drink was supplied by AA, which I guess is a Dutch company.  Small pieces of banana were available later in the race.
  • Hello

I'm thinking about booking with Running Crazy. Has anybody used them before and would they recommend them ? ( Both for the social side and the organisation. )

Are they good value for money ?

Is the Amsterdam hoter they use fairly central ?

Cheers

Mark 

• thanks Stephen, now to do a search to see if I can get hold of any in this country!

just booked my accomodation so everything done now, 3 of us going so booked a 2-room apartment here

never stayed there before, and have no personal recommendations, but it looks fantastic, and has a Trip Advisor rating of 100% which is not something you see every day !!

Mark - sorry can't help with Running Crazy, never used them before

• Ian - I emailed the AAdrinks company and got a reply saying that they only sell it in Holland. i asked about purchasing some and didn't get any feedback on this. If anyone does source some please let me know.

Thanks

• Hi Mark

My running club have used Running Crazy before and had a great time with them.  A crowd of us are doing Amersterdam with them too.  Yes, they use hotels near the start.  

• I have a bit of Achillies Tendonitis, loosens up ok 10 minutes out of bed, but does anyone have any good tips on aiding healing. This is the last thing I needed before the start fo training.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards,

P.

• sorry to here that Paul, other than getting up 10 minutes earlier, not sure I can offer any useful advice!

week 1 of my training plan completed, 28 miles in the bank, should have been 26, but got lost on my 10 miler this morning, and ended up doing an extra 2 miles through fields of thigh high grass, and along a really busy A-road with no pavements.  Survived with nothing but a few scratches, but they do look like they were caused by long fingernails in a moment of passion, so might have a bit of explaining to do later when I get back from work!!

• robotrobot ✭✭✭
    don't do loads of running - i did this and my tendinitis became a tendinopathy. the best help for me was to stand with the front of your feet on a step. raise up on both feet and lower back down just on the bad leg x 10. then stay lowered for a good 30 second stretch. do all of this 5 times per day.