Amsterdam Marathon Sunday 16 October 2011

Comments

• Can't help with the tendonitis thing but hope it causes you no grief in the following weeks.

And eek to Ian66 and week 1 - my first "scheduled" run isn't til next Monday so I'm still taking it easy this week image

• minardi - the calm before the storm image
  • Ian, sounds like an interesting run, I had a different experience on my 18 miler yesterday, some twats in a car threw and hit me with a beer can, I saw they were stopped at a red light ahead so decided to chase them down - lord knows what I was going to do, anyway never got to make that decision as 3 of them got out and were heading towards me so I turned tail and upped the pace for a swift exit.  No point in taking any chances or I could have had some scratches of my own.  Anyway I suppose I should thank them as my pace increased after that and kept that going so got a decent workout - got to take the positives out of everythingimage
  • robotrobot ✭✭✭
    nothing positive about any of that. total assholes
  • Thanks for the advice, I intend to do the stretches for a while though, gutted as I am hoping for a PB and this doesnt help. I have an ice pack, which I will use right after the stretches, then a heat pack to bring the fresh blood back in.

Murph1, I'd change my route for a while if I were you, I find that these types of people tend to look out for after that king of thing, especially as they actually got out the car as well. Watch your back.

Regards,

Paul.

• What a load of idiots...  I agree with Paul, switch routes for a couple of weeks because they could well be around again in the near future!
  • Oh, and I'd have phoned the police to advise them of drunk drivers on the road too image... actually, that's a lie... I would only think to do something like that in hindsight... it's always too shocking at the time to think up something that sensible!
  • Thanks for the advice Paul and Cabbey, very sensible, alot more sensible than chasing after a car with 5 pi$$ed up lads in it.  I only use that route for my long Sunday run.  At the weekend I did it in the evening as was playing dads taxi for the kids most of the day.  I normally do it early morning so unlikely that the pond life would be up by then but will stay clear of it for next couple of weeks.
  • Murph - discretion definately the better part of valour in instances like this.  Console yourself with the fact they are complete tossers, that aren't worth wasting your breath on.

Reminds me of a time many years ago when I was playing cricket, and a few of the local youths decided it would be fun to try and tear down one of the fences surrounding the pitch.  We confronted them (we had bats & wickets, they didn't image), and they slunk off.

1-0 to us we thought, it was only later that we found out that one of said youths was subsequently arrested walking back through the village to the ground armed with a samurai sword!!!

ever since then, i've tended to turn a blind eye to such things,not very public spirited perhaps, but in this day and age it's just not worth the risk.

• Bloody hell... Lucky escape there... A Samuri sword? Nightmare.
  • yeh, samurai swords don't really mix well with the sound of leather on willow. or leather on flesh as tended to be the case when I batted image

week 2 now done, 21 miles, a VO2 max test on the treadmill, 2 gym sessions and a round of golf.  Nicely balanced with a night on the lash with the boys, and a lovely meal out with the family, made even nicer due it it being all on expenses! All in all, a great work hard/play hard week, just how I like it.

LSR this morning was amazing, loved running in the sun, just slowed my pace a little to start with, then pushed up towards race pace at the end, and finished up doing 11 miles with plenty left in the tank.  Now to spend the afternoon in the garden with family & friends having a well-earned beer.  doesn't get any better image

so is everyone else enjoying getting out & running in the sun,  or are people melting in the heat?

• Are there any pacers at Amsterdam?

• can't find anything on the official website about pacers, but I'd be amazed if they didn't have them at a big city marathon like this.
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    last year there where pacers - i was running with the 3.15 pacers and saw at least two other times milling around at the start.
  • Hi everyone,

This will be my fourth consecutive Amsterdam marathon and I am looking forward to it. Two weeks before the marathon I am running the Köln Marathon. Yes, probably a bit insane. However, the lure of a marathon in my home town is too great to withstand.

For those of you who have run Berlin; I believe Amsterdam is a bit faster. Last year I broke my PB in Berlin and ran 3.58. Three weeks later I went under that time with one minute in Amsterdam (3.57). So, get prepared to run you personal best this year image

Yes, there are pacers at the marathon. It's organised by the Dutch Runner's World. Unfortunately there's only an internetsite in Dutch. There are pacers both for the marathon and for the half marathon.The pacers can be recognized by the colour of a balloon above their head:

3.15 (M) / 1.35 (HM) Red
    3.30 (M) / 1.40 (HM) Blue
    3.45 (M) / 1.45 (HM) Purple
    4.00 (M) / 1.50 (HM) Green
    4.15 (M) / 1.55 (HM) Orange
    4.30 (M) / 2.00 (HM) Yellow
  • I've signed up for Amsterdam after wilting badly in 34 deg heat at the Poitiers Marathon in May, so the temps expected sound ideal! Useful thread for the Garmin adv - I missed a PB at the Two Castles race recently, in part because of a "long" course as recorded by Garmin, but now I know the answer.

My buddy from our club is also doing it (her first marathon, my 5th) and she's faster than me, so our plans to train together on LSR's aren't working out. Any ideas?

• Crazylady- same here.  I did Madrid in April... wasn't quite 34 degrees but not far off... plus the hills.  Looking forward to something flatter and cooler this time and hopefully a pbimage

Not easy training when you're on different levels... Can you join a club and maybe find others at the same/ similar level as you?  I have a similar problem.  My club buddies are all faster and although it's nice in terms of being pushed, it can also be a bit demoralising at times.  I've made peace with doing my LRS's on my own.

Good luck with your training!

• I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to get my energy gels through airport security due to liquid restrictions- those of you who have done Amsterdam before, is it the kind of Expo where you can buy all your gels, etc? Alternatively, is there anywhere in the city where I can buy some? Ta.

• Tim - I managed to fit 3 gels, vaseline, small tootpaste and deodorant in the plastic bag when I travelled to Barcelona in March.  Failing that, the Marathon Expo will have some for sale, though perhaps not your usual brand.
  • robotrobot ✭✭✭
    tim you can just put your bag in as hold luggage on the way out. that way you can have as much gel and liquid as you want. schipol is not like the old heathrow terminals meaning you will get your bag back very quickly. take it is hand luggage on the way back.
  • robotrobot ✭✭✭
    i should have added, when i went to barcelona earlier this year i put 8 x powerbar gel in one of their clear plastic bags no problem. so you should be ok either way (unless you also require 10 different aftershaves)
  • Thank you both for your replies- I should have stated that I don't intend upon having any luggage in the hold. However, the fact that the Expo will sell some gels is enough reassurance for me in case I struggle to fit my usual quota in my plastic bag.

A further question for those of you who have run Amsterdam before: my partner says that she saw a forum discussing the fact that the Metro system isn't particularly efficient on the morning of the race. We're currently sorting out our hotel, so is there any substance to this or is it just people having a moan because they didn't organise themselves properly?

• robotrobot ✭✭✭
    it works ok during the week but maybe sunday is a bit slower. i opted for novotel in the business district, not far at all from the race start and finish so maybe ill just get the hotel to call me a cab - stress over. mind you, it can be fun getting on the metro when it's full of other runners.
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    last year i stayed near schipol and there was a bus that took you to past the start that took only about 20 minutes, made the weekend a lot easier. Doing the same this year but staying in the Hilton that is part of schipol rather than on outside hotel and waiting for the inconsistent shuttle buses. Easy to get to the city centre via train so it is really in the middle of everything
  • Tim - I stayed in the town centre last year.  I got on the metro at about 8:30, the train wasn't too busy, and the total journey time was about 20-25 minutes.  The only minor inconvenience was having to change trains at Zuid/WTC to go the extra stop.

The most stressful part of getting to the start was the bag drop.  Best to get there fairly early.

• robotrobot ✭✭✭
    i would guess tim wont use the bag drop. but it could be chilly so i may just take an old jumper and discard it at the start.
  • All good advice- doesn't sound so bad afterall. Thanks chaps- see you there.
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Just signed up for this, now need flights and hotel! Will be my 4th marathon, 2nd this year so will hope for a decent time with it being flat!
  • Hi all, I've just signed up for the half in Amsterdam. This will be my first 'big' race, I've done one 5k and one 10k this year. Am nervous, but have found all of your comments really helpful.

I've also managed to persuade my BF and 3 friends to come along too image

• This will be my first marathon.  Could I ask if any of you take your own drinks?  If so, how do you carry them?  And how many gels - and again how do you carry them?  I've tried bottle belts but they just bounce around and end up bouncing around my ribs which is really uncomfortable, and my camelbak rucksack is great but I have to slow to a walk to take it off to get the gels out.... any recommendations?

I'm wondering about sewing a gel belt onto the top of my running bottoms if I don't get any better solutions...

Thanks!