Amsterdam Marathon Sunday 16 October 2011

Comments

• Pegg, on my long runs I'm using a camelbak and a waist belt which i put the gels in, and a fiver for the pub at the end, and emergency loo roll (just in case).  I take a gel every 4 miles but everyone is different.....
  • Thanks Min.  And do you take the camelbak for the race too?  My backpack usually has a fiver in too (to pay for a taxi if I twist my ankle!!), my phone and the loo roll!

• I found that the camelbak pocket wasn't big enough for everything I take with me! image

Haven't taken it for an actual race yet - but the marathons I've done so far have all had bottled water.  I might take mine for Amsterdam seeing as it's cups and I can't get on with cups when I'm running.

• Is it definitely cups? Won't be a problem for me because I'm run/walking it. My new camelbak is great because it's easy to get stuff out the side pockets but my old one I had to wear a waist belt too. Pegg the gelbelts are great as they fit 6 gels around the sides and have a pocket for any essentials... Mine is a high 5 one I think.

How's everyones training going? I think I'm probably slightly behind on the long run and doing my first 16(ish) this weekend.
  • Morning all,

Can anyone with previous experience tell me the easiest way from the airport to the expo? I'm flying in on Saturday morning and was thinking of going straight to the Expo before heading on to my appartment.

Thanks

• Hope this link works! for Johnny - taken from the hamsterjam website - hope it helps!

Pegg, just carrying on from Cabbey's comment re the gel belt - if it's for gels alone, make sure you try before you buy cos I don't know if it's just me and my "curves", but they tend to dig in and don't have much room for expansion, if you get my drift!  I prefer my waist belt where the gels go in the pocket. I can send you up my belt if you like to see how you get on?  And did you get my msg re grimsthorpe?

• I carry my gels in a bum bag (which actually sits on my waist).  Managed to squeeze 5 gels into it the last time- one every 5 miles except for the last one which I took around mile 22 to make sure it kicked in on time.  Not so keen on cups to be honest but not sure about carrying my own water...

Will be away this weekend so missing on my long run... will have to somehow squeeze the first 20 miler on Monday instead.

Happy running everyone!

• Hi Min - I have got a gel belt somewhere so I'll look that out before trying anything else.  From memory though it is expandable, but it just rides up to sit under my ribs, and I cut the insides of my arms to pieces on the edges of the gel packets image.  I'm wondering if it stich it to the outside of the top seam of my running bottoms, if it'll stay put and be better...try it and see I suppose.  I did get your note about Grimthorpe - I meant to reply, but then we were on hols and it went completely out of my head image.  I think I'm going to give it a miss though, in favour of a slightly longer training run on the road.  I'd hate to twist my ankle on rough ground and screw up hamsterjam...you know what I'm like when it comes to falling over!

Cabbey - my plan has me just on 13 this weekend (last weekend it was 10).  I've got 2x13 then 2x18 so it's the 27th August before I'll be up to 18miles.  You've got me worried now though that it's not going to be enough!

• I feel I'm slightly behind because of my race a month later Pegg, so don't worry... Although that's a big jump for you in 1 week... An extra 5 miles... Eek!
  • If I was you i'd do 12 /14/ 16 / 18 ... 5 extra miles like that would kill me (but I am a full on wimp) image
  • I'd go with Cabbey's suggestion Pegg - 2 x 13 and then to leap to 2 x 18 is asking for trouble!
  • Oops!  My mistake - 2x13 then 2x15 then 2x18 which puts my first 18 miler at the 27th August.  Sorry to alarm you all there!!  image  I've gone for the garmin ready schedule from the training tab on here.  I had to choose the 5hour finish though because there wasn't a 6.5hour option!!
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    Johnny - there are two ways to get there, bus or train.
    Last year i got a train down to the stadium for the expo on the saturday morning but on the race morning it was easier to get the bus down from the airport/station. I stayed near the station and traveling around was easy - apart from it being really cold waiting for buses!
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

Flying in Sat morning and staying at airport Hilton so the train looks the easiest!?
    I use a camelback belt with 750ml bottle has a pocket for enough gels etc. I did Prague marathon in May and when I needed more water I found the easiest thing was tto take the top of the bottle (don't drop it!) approaching the water station and grab cups and slosh it in. I tried drinking from them but just chicked it all over myself!
    Training is going ok - 18.5 miles Sunday 56miles for the week.
    Hope everyone else is going ok - pretty hot at the moment.

• Jeremy- it actually sounds like a plan.... I might bring my water bottle with me and try to fill it up from the cups.  Maybe should do some training beforehand.  Anyway, I don't drink a lot unless it's very hot so should be ok...
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    all this talk about drinking - it was -1oC last year! image
  • If that's the case my small bottle should do it.image
  • robotrobot ✭✭✭
    minardi - is that a fact that it is cups and how do you know?
  • @ robot - see FAQ no 7!

Attempted an 18 miler today and failed miserably but i'm blaming the 23deg heat and my lack of running over the last fortnight image

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    -1 !! Have to run faster then to stay warm image
  • So much "easier" to run in cooler temperatures!
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    I did 23 miles on Saturday - set off at 11am and it was warm but not sunny (knew it would be a warm run), by mile 5 the sun came out - by mile 16 I was ready to collapse and by mile 23 I felt worse than at any other time running and that is even compared to Paris this year when it was 7 degrees hotter! its amazing how heat in the UK compares to heat in Europe, its just so much more draining with the humidity. I remember training last year for Amsterdam through the hot summer and the cold clear temperature in Amsterdam came as a shock. It was sooo much easier to run in and is the main reason I am going back. The only thing I have heard that can put a dampner on things is if the wind gets up down the Amstel River, is this true?
  • 23 miles already, good stuff Andy, my longest to date is 20 miles though I did 17 on Sunday with 10 at MP less 15 seconds, was a 10 mile race to which I added a few miles on before and after.

I agree re running in cooler weather is much easier, I am a real wimp when its come to hot weather and humidity.  One thing to be careful in the cooler weather is to ensure you take on enough fluids,  Last year it was cool in the Dam as mentioned above and I didn't take on nearly enough water.  Because of the cups on offer I had my better half pass me a couple of bottles but I hardly drank any as these were warm.  I am sure it was one of the main reasons the wheels came off at mile 21.  This year plan is slow down at each station and take a drink.  It will cost maybe 10 seconds per station but better than losing minutes as I did at the end - plus I don't want to be wading in treacle again for the last 5 miles.

Yes Andy I heard it can get breezy, I noticed it last year along the Amstel  when it was a fairly calm day - thankfully we weren't running on the saturday when it blew a gale.

• I hate the wind... I'd rather run up a hill!
  • Andy- it's good to know I'm not the only one being affected by the heat... Went for a 21miler yesterday after work (couldn't run on Sunday so felt I had to make up for it) and by mile 8 felt absolutely exhausted... and that's just my normal run home.  Amazing what a difference the heat makes.  Managed to do 21 miles but really suffered and stopped a few times to top up my water bottlle.  Don't remember the last time I felt so tired after a long run... couldn't even force myself to eat, literally got home and collapsed in bed.

I hope Amsterdam will feel easy after a few more runs like this.  Madrid in April was hot but nothing like what I experiened yesterday....

• +1 for hard work running in the heat!

Just back from a lunchtime 8 which felt a lot harder than it should have done, and did 16 on Saturday which was a real slog for the last 4.  Still, they are all miles in the bank, and they'll all help come the big day!

And I'm a big believer that 'hard' miles count for more than 'easy' miles, makes you mentally stronger if you can stick with the schedule when the conditions get tough, so keep grinding those miles out everyone, it's not supposed to be easy after all image

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    Forecast is cooler at the weekend so will be doing the same run again just as a comparison - unfinished business with that run!
    Ever since my Paris/London double in April I have been doing a 20+ miler every third weekend just to keep the body used to it and from now to October I will be doing no less that 20 miles on my long run at every weekend. Still does not make my legs run much faster though!
  • Still hot hot hot.  7 miler planned for this evening with the club which is always hard work, not sure how I will cope in this heat.  Hopefully it will cool down by the end of the week.  A 10k race planned for this Sunday so no long run for me but from next week it will be all 20+.... I'm thinking of doing the whole distance at some point as well. 

• Well, I still have a bit of an Achilles problem, not a nightmare but still stiff when I wake up in the morning, Ihavent ran to give the best chance of healing, so I now have oly 7 weeks to train for this marathon. Totally gutted as I really wanted to do a sub 4. And now I have a stinking cold as well. Not sure how to to train for this now. I will still need to keep an eye on the damned achillies as well, I guess I will have to ice it after every run to to keep it working ok.

P.