Head torch... Good recommendation please

2»

Comments

• The red rear-facing light on the Gamma is a powerful werewolf deterrent when used in flashing mode. Apparently.

I got a small bite from a werewolf the other night but I'm alright noooooooooow...

• If anybody wants a 160 Lumin LED lenser H7R complete with charger I`m selling mine for £20.... its a superb bit of kit but I want something even brighter!!!
  • Hey Roland,

If no one has taken your offer, I'll have it

Please PM me your details.

Gaz

• The Led lenser H14 is great and will be a rechargable version soon.

It's well worth the money.

• I'm a bit late to the party, but I've never liked head torches. It feels weird to have a beam above my eyes, and the light reflects off my glasses. Plus head torches tend to be low power apart from a few like Zebralight. I bought a Petzl Tikka XP from a running shop and it is not bright enough for running with. I kept falling over. And it uses AAA batteries, and it is not properly regulated either. In my opinion something like a Quark AA2 or Fenix LD20 hand torch is much better, and a small one such as an ITP A2 in the pocket as a backup. In fact the A2 is good enough for the main torch, and it lasts ages on rechargeable batteries. These torches have the advantage that the output is regulated so the output stays roughly constant. I'm always amazed at the dim torches people carry. And while I'm ranting, use Low Self Discharge NiMH. High capacity ones are not worth buying in my opinion. My current torch is a Sunwayman M40A which replaced a Quark AA2 + Fenix L2D combo.

For what it's worth I am not keen on LED Lenser. The output drops fairly quickly, and they tend to take AAA batteries (which means that they can drive the LED directly, it's cheaper to imlement). 

• The LED Lenser H7R is plenty bright enough for most uses, and since switching from a Myo XP to this I'm managing to run my night runs almost at the same pace as in the light.

It's 170 lumens is way, way brighter than the Alpkit (though that's a great torch for the money!) and the likes of MYO XPs etc. 

The flood to zoom feature is fantastic for switching from a large well of light for running through woods, to picking out a stile/signpost in the spotlight 100m away. 

It's main advantage over the brighter H14 or something like the Magicshine 808 is it's weight, and that it is extremely comfortable to run in, with a good weight balance between front and rear.

It can also take normal AAA's so useful for camping, or just having spares if you need full beam for more than the 2 hours you get. It also charges from a USB, so can be charged in the car, off a pc etc.

On the downside, there is no low battery warning, so the light just fades to nothing eventually, and the ratchet mechanism is not as robust as on some headtorches (but you can replace it with a small nut and bolt if need be).

• ps I agree with Leif on some points - in fog a headtorch is useless!  The light just bounces back at you. You either need a hand torch or carry the head torch down low.  Other than that though, I find running with a head torch much easier than holding one in my hand. 

As a spare, but bright hand torch , something like an Ultrafire 502b, with 290 lumens is a very bright but pretty cheap option. (about £16 from Lumen junkies). 

• bus boy said: "I find running with a head torch much easier than holding one in my hand. "

Many people  agree with you,. It's very much a subjective judgement.. I see quite a few people in my area running at night, and they all use head torches. I guess I'm just a weirdo. image Glad to hear you like the H7R. 

• Leif - you're not alone. There's a fair number of fell runners who prefer a hand held torch as well. Mind you most people think anyone running off-road after dark is a weirdo anyway!!

• bus boy, I don't know where you live, but I do recommend running cross country at night. I have never seen anyone else here doing it but I do know the lads at the Horsham running shop did group runs cross country at night. But you do need a brighter torch to avoid tripping over branches, and a backup torch too just in case. Oh, and water resistant shoes help.
  • Poundland/Poundshop were doing one for, errr..... a pound.

Seem okay (got some for the kids to use when we were walking through unlit areas of holiday park last autumn), but you might be keeping your eyes looking more towards your feet than further ahead of yourself.

Worth a gamble at only a quid

• In the Chilterns Leif. My usual night time runs are back home from the station after work and involve a mix of fields, open farmland and through beech woods. Before my H7 I used to still manage to get lost in the woods even on paths I'd done dozens of times! 

Must admit, although sometimes its a drag having to run after dark, especially when its pouring with rain or foggy, some of my most enjoyable runs have been on clear frosty nights, especially with a  coating of snow on the ground!

A friend of mine gave me a poundshop headtorch APT. It had about 20 leds in it and was amazingly bright for the money, of a bit heavy and the starps looked like they were made from bits of old knicker elastic!