2012 North Downs Way 100 miler and 50 miler

Comments

• Getting there slowly, did fifteen this morning which wasn't too bad, I can feel discomfort all the time but the pain that was there has gone. I just don't have the confidence in it to push it, I get the very distinct feeling that if it do it'll raise it's head soon enough.

I was going to ask if you had pacers/crew sorted for the NDW but luckily I checked the dates first, I'm doing the Snowdon 7s that weekend but if you need company on any of the recce runs let me know

• Farnhan to Dorking was easy to follow.  A couple of faded markers but no probs otherwise.  Guildford to Dorking much prettier than the first section.

So looking forward to August.

• Hmm been thinking lately about a pacer. It would be nice to have company thru the night. Not quite sure how sleep deprivation will effect my concentration. Not too bothered about the sleepmonsters just haven't stayed awake all night since my twenties. Should be mildly amusing.

Yes Lirish always open for anyone to join me on recce runs its just pinning down a date as I'm very much spur of the moment.

• Just thought to look at this thread again & seems a lot has been going on!

I've been exhausted since comrades - today 1st day when haven't felt like falling asleep from the moment I wake up ... if that makes any sense.  But have managed to start the Elson training plan so nothing can go wrong now.

I don't have anyone I can bother re being a pacer but wondered if anyone else is a newbie who for some reason thinks they may crack / get close to 24hrs but would be happy with a finish, perhaps we could consider running together.  Is always easier than alone on these long things.  thoughts?

• Hi All,

New to this thread. I'm a late entrant to this one due to switching from the SDW which i'm unable to do due to a family commitment.

Nice to see accidental runner here - we ran a bit of L2B together last year image

This will be my first 100, eeeeeek

• I ran L2B too last year. I think I finished just behind you Hi Ho. You was 1st place lady wasn't you?

My first 100 too. Can't waitimage

• Hi there Dill,

Yes I was 1st lady. Goodness knows how that happened - Mrs average runner most of the time!! 

I'm actually looking forward to this one - I think!!.  Heaven that the course is marked and with glow sticks for the dark too - woo hooooooooooo.  

• I suddenly find myself in need of a 100 mile even this summer and this might be the one!
  • Go for it Ben. A 100 miler with a marked course & glow lights at night is too good an opportunity to miss image
  • Just run from the start in Farnham to Reigate Hill this morning. Total of 31 mile felt like 50 tho. I have run the whole route now in bits and the section between Dorking and Reigate is defo the toughest bit. Box hill is a killer. What will be fun is the river crossing at 20/80 miles. There is about 10 stepping stones with great potential for falling off. Mile 20 should be fine but mile 80 at night with wobbly legs after coming off Box hill will be a treat. Only took two wrong turns today and quickly recovered should be fine when the course is marked but you really have to keep your wits about you regarding the signs.

Hi Marc spent some time pondering your offer for a running buddy today and realized how difficult that would be for the whole race. On long events I seem to spend periods feeling good or even great and then equally spend periods feeling bloody awful. These periods I struggle to run at all. I assume most people feel this but at different times. So I think my strategy will be to keep plodding on untill night then perhaps pair up with someone of a similar pace then.

48 days to goimage

• Stepping stones!

Use the bridge!!

• Where's the fun in that?

I was thinking at mile 80 a freezing dip might help my legs!

• Not sure how many of you out there were following the race organiser's Western States attempt, but just to let those who weren't know that he miraculously managed a finish well under the 30 hour cut off. Fully fit that is something anyone can only aspire too. James has suffered serious injury setbacks and did little or no running in the build up to the race.

Absolutely inspiring!
  • Did Guildford to Merstham yesterday afternoon - pretty easy to follow (one missing sign).  Horrible in the heat.  Did think of jumping in by the stepping stones to cool off!  

Congrats to HiHo for taking on 100miles - I'm on here as a bit of an imposter as I'm only doing the 50 miler, but there isn't a separate thread. 

• Also if anyone else is going out next weekend, I'm going to do Box Hill to the station just past the finish (Otford I think) on Saturday morning as a 30 miler.  So if you see someone struggling up the hills in an orange rucksack and white cap, it'll be me.
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    accidental runner wrote (see)
    Also if anyone else is going out next weekend, I'm going to do Box Hill to the station just past the finish (Otford I think) on Saturday morning as a 30 miler.  So if you see someone struggling up the hills in an orange rucksack and white cap, it'll be me.
    Maybe climb out of the rucksack and run... it may make the hills a touch easier!? image
  • Thats funny - the thought of AR in a rucksack with just arms & legs sticking out. 

lARr - me and Lucy from L2B last year are going out on Saturday. Not exactly sure which bit though so may see you. We thought we may do somewhere around Godstone ish, out westerly & back image

• O.K guys I am in!

Finished Comrades without any injuries at the end of May, and have done virtually no running since then.  Had originally planed to run the UR100 last weekend, but had to withdraw due to a bad bout of chicken pox that left me hospitalised. 

Should be able to start training again towards the end of this week. 

Guess I will have to make the best use I can of the training weeks I have got before I start to taper. 

• AR I have done that section a few times if you want to know where you can get a drink or supplies at a shop let me know image 

• Great to see AR out today. Some great views from Reigate Hill.

• It was good to see you too. 

Really struggled on Sat and ended up walking the last couple of miles, which was a bit disheartening as the first 15 or so went fine.  Doing Croydon Ultra next Sunday if anyone else is around.

• Hi AR

Did you do L2B last year and Thames Trot this year ? I think I read that earlier on here

If so were you running with a mate in both but he couldn't keep up on TT as he had given up eating carbs?

I was one of the pair of middle aged blokes who kept on trading positions with you on L2B where you kept on showing us the route to take as like here you had really done your research

Anyway I am doing this one on my own so may bump into you. But doing TP100 with my mate again

• Dill - thanks. Been thinking about it and agree probably doesnt work. Just take it as it comes and see what happens. First 100 so is unkown territory!
  • No worries Marc. Certainly is unknown territory. I ran my final recce today from Knockholt to Guildford which went well but still only 40 miles. Hard to get my head round doing it again plus another 20 for good measure.

Think i've got route sussed now. Run it both directions during recces.No mistakes today apart from not having any tape for my feet hence 40 mile not 50. Had some seriously hot feet and didn''t want to risk havin to recover from big blisters.

The main problem i'm havin is slowing down I'm worried about blowing out early. Ran today like I thought I will run the race but still too fast over 40 miles.

34 daysimage

• It is going to be my first 100, and I am recovering from illness at the moment.  

I just hope that I can regain the form I had at the end of June!

• Oooooh just seen the buckles on Facebook and I want one!
  • ooh

one hard fortnight then taper time

don't anybody do anything silly now

• Taper - how i'm looking forward to that  image

• One thing that I will need to find is some accommodation near to the start. 

Can anybody who lives near to the area suggest anything?

• Well that's me - all of the course recc'ed now. Definately a change of socks required after running the beach section - sorry i mean the bit around St Marthas. That sand gets everywhere image