Options

2012 North Downs Way 100 miler and 50 miler

Comments

• Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

And I can only remember that I'm 2 hundred and possibly ninety something. There aren't that many females in the race - I'll be the one that looks like they've overpacked. I'm also starting a cold, must be the power of suggestion, thanks ar!

If any of you are registering the night before I may see you there, as long as my tentatively booked over the internet accommodation comes through.

• Options

helly d

overpacked? - not taking an evening dress and a pair of shoes are you?

only joking

I'm 230 - will be wearing a green "tritalk" top and also likely to be overpacked and bricking myself

Only 24hrs to go now!

Don't think I will be sleeping much tonight, may need a glass of wine to calm the nerves (that would be tonight, not now, obviously)

good luck all

see you in Farnham

• Options
    See you all there, I am at the Start/Finish from 4am on Saturday until the 100 miler finishes on Sunday cheering you guys on image

Have a great race and enjoy, wish I was running!
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Long day for you Mimi. I only have an 0830 - 2030 shift at Box Hill. Wish I was running too, but still recovering from my last one!

Also, have read about your double badwater. Awesome effort!

• Options
    thanks! I still can't believe it! Also wish I was running, but will enjoy myself watching everyone else finish image
  • Options

Good luck everyone! I'm secretly a tiny bit jealous (although I'd only have been doing the 50 if I didn't have PF). Looks like it'll be a great race.

JB

• Options

Well its nice to start a race knowing that if I finsh I will be at least 5th lady image

Looking forward to just getting on with it now.

• Options

HHS

Don't bet on it. At Leith Hill HM last year the results had me as 4th Female Vet !

Mind you, it was my best ever result

• Options
    Make that 6th Lady - there's 6th of us now - yey.
  • Options

I am actually a bloke

But I obviously have touble filling in forms - must be how I got into this mess as wellimage

• Options
    No - there are actually 6 ladies now image
  • Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    So we're all top ten! I'm off shortly. Pretty sure I'll need a beer to calm my nerves once I've been along to registration tonight. See you all in the morning. Good luck.
  • Options
    Sounds like it's going to be a great event & weekend - good luck all image
  • Options

I've just had my last supper and a bottle of beer. Just got to get feet taped then try and get some sleep. Travelling down in the morning so 2.30 start for me.

##21 me. See you all in about 22 hours.

• Options
    Hope everyone is doing alright out there image

I did the 50 and was very impressed by the organisation and the checkpoints were fab. Thank you to the volunteers.

Hoping to hear when I wake up again that a couple of friends have made it round the 100.
  • Options

Absolutely fantastic race! Loved all of it despite running out of steam with a couple of miles to go.  Even managed to tell the rottweiler off!  Can't quite believe I managed to run it in the time I did. 

Thanks to all the volunteers and the support crews on the route.  Great atmosphere, catering and just a generally brilliant event.  Would recommend it to anyone. 

Love the fact that the T-shirt actually fits - a first for a race t-shirt. 

• Options

Finished 19th in the 100 with 25:46

My feet are in pieces

• Options
    My god you are still moaning image
  • Options

Thanks Andrew

You did a fantastic job along with all the other marshalls and aid station crew

When I couldn't walk at St Marthas on the way back, the poor lady there actually had no words she could possibly say to me make me feel any better, although like me, she was concerned that the car park there was a "dogging" site

Anyway, her partner just told me that I still had 9 hrs to beat the cutoff so I should just get on with it! I did the last half marathon from there in 2:48 after a 23 minute stopped and ran through the last checkpoint, much to the consternation of the team there who couldn't quite believe it

Just had 2 hrs kip

I am about to eat the fridge

• Options
    UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't you be better trying to eat the contents of the fridge?image
  • Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

How far did you have to walk home from your car due to cycling shenanigans then, veggieboy?

ar - I said hello to the rottie which also seemed to shut him up.   I think small yappy dog may be the brains of the outfit.

25:46 for me too though I claim 18th as I managed to be sitting in a chair by the time veggieboy arrivedimage

Damage so far = sore Achilles, split toenail and just the one blister though my cold has returned after a welcome break.

Rail replacement serviceimage, staggered home, slept for an hour then went out to buy snacks . 

Met  loads of nice people on route, big thanks to marshalls and organisers, just wished there had been a little more tea.

• Options

Well done everyone..I was support runner with one other for the lovely Matt. Rottie and Yappy must have been  having their  tea by the  time we passed by..phew! image

Brilliant running by you all on  a tough old course....those flipping steps!! image

• Options
    Congratulations all - I was the ancient trout waddling along route coming from/to Box Hill muttering vague words of encouragement and even managing to almost fling myself at feet of one bewildered participant (tripped over piece of hidden metal on track image).
  • Options

Well done all. Oh how I love steps. Feet are pretty trashed but glad to have finished in 26hr50mins. Nice to see you Dips image

A great event and brillianlty organised - well done James.

• Options

Helen

Pleasure running (and walking ) with you through the night

Managed to get home just in time to see the cycle peleton come through Teddington. Parked 300meters from my house, but it still took 10 mins to walk home!

Great time there, think how quick it would have been if you didn't keep getting lost!

• Options
    Brilliant race, big thanks to the race director and all the crew who were fantastic. Special mention to the guy and girl at the box hill cp during the night who gave me just the right amount of attitude adjustment to see me on my way instead of packing in, I owe you a pint.
    Right I'm off to polish my buckle!
  • Options

Very well done to everyone who finished the 100, nice work.

50 proved to be plenty enough for me in the end, and it seemed the right decision to bail gracefully at the halfway mark rather than battle on and risk injury when it seemed there was little chance of finishing.

But it was a great day out running on nice trails while listening to some good tunes in the sun and chatting to some interesting people. Will come back stronger next time.

Very many thanks to the Centurion team for a good event, see you next time.

• Options

Really great event - best organised run I think I've ever done. Well done & thank you James & crew.

(Although I hated the *** steps at Box Hill with a passion - and hated the thought of them on the way back!)

And thanks to Rab, Matt, Nicole and whoever else I hung on to on the way back to help me get through.

• Options

Well done all, those who managed the 100 should be very proud of their efforts!  I paced my OH (Nicole) through the second 50 miles and was really chuffed to be there with her as she finished...despite her knees having packed in after only 25 miles.

Marc...fantastic effort on finishing...Nicole and I were wondering what happended to you after we got seperated and checked the website as soon as we got home...we were very pleased to see you romp home!  And Rab, well done mate...last time we saw you, you were in good spirits sitting on a log...great effort from going from wanting to pull out at Box Hill to nailing the thing!

I want to echo Rab's and Dave's words...given that this was his first time in organising a race, and given all the logistics of a 100 miler (let alone a 50 miler and marathon on the same day) I thought Els (and I include all his crew and volunteers) did an amazing job! It was a fantastic race and one he should be very proud of...if this is just the beginning then I think we can all look forward to some cracking events from the Centurion team!

• Options

I had to dig deep to finish that one.  I started to get sharp pains in my shin around the 50 mile mark, and it now looks like it might have been a stress fracture!  I managed to muddle through the last 50 miles.  This proves that while stupidity is a weakness in most sports, it can be a veritable advantage in ultra running!

Like everybody else, I was very impressed with the organisation and the marshaling.  The race director has certainly delivered on his promise of a well organised and coordinated event.  The scenery is about as spectacular as you will get in a UK event.  The aid station staff were awesome, and knew how to motivate anybody who was wavering.  This is by no means the easiest 100 miler in the U.K.  I found the first 50 miles to be harder than the Comrades up run, and a couple of other participants who had run Comrades were of the same opinion.  I will probably invest in some debris gaiters if I run this event again. 

Another curious twist, is that this event seems to have garnered the interest of the local community.  Very few people in Ambleside or Keswick even know that the Lakeland 100 is taking place on their doorstep for contrast.  Many participants in this race were approached by ramblers, dog walkers and cyclists asking if they were "those centurion people who run 100 miles"!