Options

2012 North Downs Way 100 miler and 50 miler

Comments

• Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

wear it!! then i can try and find you!! most likely my top will be union jack....or one on back of my shortsimage

the hill discussion was only 3 /4 pages back frm today rosemary...tim and WIB having a little dig at southerners 'hills'image

• Options

oi! no one can make fun of our hills ... because we haven't got any image

this past week has been week 1 of training for me, put in a 30 mile walk on tuesday and a 20 mile LSR this morning. . overkill? probably.

How were your B2Bs today? training going well?
  • Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

did  16miles which wasnt as much as i wanted to but man came to fix my tapimage...so got out an hour later thn planned after picking up miss llb frm dance classes...so was on limitd time thn.....still 16 is better thn nothing..and will go for 10 tomorrow...image

...am wondering if im meant to be on this thread because im not doing 100miles ..im only doing NDW50...image...am i considered an imposterimage

• Options

i don;t know but if you are so am i! 50 is enough for me. . this year..
  • Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

ah yes....never say never huh?image....100 is tempting..but lets see if we survive 50...

is anyone boinging this thread?

• Options

I'll go and have a look for it.  Sadly, he's right with notable exceptions!  Trying to do hillwork round here is very challenging.

Will definitely wear the Buff and any other Union Jack clothing I can find.  Have you seen the new Brooks running shoes:

http://my.frooition.com/100063/images/brooks-men-gts-12-ltd-edition-both.jpg

Might try a pair and see if they have enough support for me. 

Rob, that's some good training there, are you doing another event before NDW? My training this week was a total of 39 miles.  I'm following a plan from 'Relentless Forward Progress'.  Loula, good running too.  Wasn't the weather fabulous for running yesterday?  I had a long-sleeved top on, but really only needed a T-Shirt. 

Off to Colchester Half Marathon now.  Have a good run today!

• Options

Rosemary - good luck with the half marathon! I am running the Compton Downland Challenge 40 miler in april so my training is more geared towards that for now but I'm hoping to hold up the fitness until august.

loulabell - I've always been tempted by a 100 miler but am not currently brave enough or fit enough.

sorry i don't know all the forum terminology. what's boinging?
  • Options

That looks like a nice event and certainly good trail running practice.  I would have thought it would be relatively easy to keep the training going for another few months for NDW50.image 

Loula, I found the posts on Southern hills and marathon runners hills!  WiB was telling James on the TP100 thread that the Barkley marathons were a nice, gentle, downhill run.  I'm sure we'll all appreciate that humour at mile 45, assuming he's not already at mile 80 plus by then!

I'm going to email the moderator and see if we can have the thread title updated to this year and including us 50-milers.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Is this the main thread for this year's event?  I notice entries are still open and I am very tempted.
  • Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

i dont know T Rex, is it the main thread?image can anyone doing the 50 be on here too? there doesnt seem to be a '50' thread.image am i allowed on here?

yes Rosemary thats a good idea to have us included in the thread title- i keep forgetting this thread because i never see '50'...image...erm yes no doubt WIB will be well away when we are on mile 45

• Options
    Hiiiiiiiiiiiii I am a 50 miler.
  • Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    hello spen!!image come join us- dyu think we will be considered imposters on a 100miler threadimage-should i email and ask for the thread title to include us?
  • Options
    Email them yes.    Have you started your ultra plan?
  • Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    yes i went onto my ultra plan week commencing 19th march spen. this is an easy week. may have to jiggle things around some weeks for the B2Bs
  • Options

Ive just been doing what I feel like but next week I will be doing 28 miles at Worcester then going to try 14 day after.   So I should be on track.

What one are you doing?

• Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    im doing the Ultra ladies running club trail 50mile event training programme. i think Debra used it too. its same as mens one.peaks at week 16/17 with 28miles /12 on a B2B. are you going to Forest of Dean with others in 2 weeks time?
  • Options

I know nothing about it?

• Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

on ultraox thread..they mentioned a Forest of Dean trip

• Options

Have requested a name change to the thread, hopefully that will work.

I am doing the 'up-to-70 miles per week' training schedule from Relentless Forward Progress.  It's 24 weeks, so plenty of time to get used to the back-to-backs.

• Options
    I am doing that one to with a little adaption for just time on feet for b 2 bs.
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    Good to find a thread for the NDWUs. I'm down for the 50M race and looking forward to it. Going to do a recce of the route on Tue (either full length or pull-out near Oxted).
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    Did 44miles of the route (from Farnham) yesterday, cutting down to Oxted as a better train home. Thought it was quite tough, although still had a hard session from Sunday in my legs. Flat for first 6miles, then undulating. Lots of ups and downs to break your rhythem before and after Box Hill.
    Took a few wrong turns but only lost a few mins. Worth recceing in advance.
  • Options
    44 miles?  Bloody hell!!!
  • Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    woohoooooo...the thread title has changedimage im no longer an imposter !!.....spen after northants, our little group could always carry on and do another 10?image
  • Options

Hooray, I have my Union Jack crop-top and shorts!  I won't be wearing both for NDW, but can use the shorts for other events. 

Hi Daz, great running!  What was Box Hill like?  I'm not very good at gauging elevation, so can't quite get my head round the steepness.

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    Hi Rosemary! TOUGH

I've done the Ballbuster Duathlon a couple of times that goes up Zig Zag , and I'd heard comments then about the 'hiking' route straight up the hill. I thought 'pah' how hard can it be. Well I'm just glad they have stepped it because my achilles would have been destroyed!

Mind you, it's so steep I can't see many people trying to run it, so we all may as well walk and enjoy the views....then kick off at the top! image)

• Options

Sounds good to me, bit like Beachy Head.  Most bizarre to see hundreds of runners start walking at the bottom of each hill, but we did all start again at the top.image

• Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

did you get your union jack things from the website you mentioned rosemary?..i will get the top but prob wear normal shorts..and a union jack buff...as a headband if hot!image

Daz, thank you for the tip off on Box Hill..i kinda had the image of it in my head...and that its gonna hurt a tad...so you have confirmed that!image...i too will be walking that bit

• Options
    Yes, they arrived really quickly!  Very impressed.  I won't wear the shorts AND the crop top, but the shorts will be handy for events where it isn't warm enough for a crop top.   I'm  just a bit worried that the 'GBR' on the back might make other competitors think I'm actually a proper GBR runnerimage
  • Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    yes i didnt realise it had that until you posted the link...erm, well, maybe it will have a positive effect on us Rosemary and we will really run like we are TEAM GBimageimage ......until they see me crawling in on 13.5hour mark....ahemimageimage...i will wear it if you do. have you got any idea what time you think you will  get round in?