It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
It's a little tough!
I remember it fondly, but haven't been back for a few years for some reason! Might just go and check the calendar for this year!
Hello HC. Mwah.
The lovely IMeccentric has done the Greensand marathon so should be ok with the Plod hehe.
The race that is.
And not the condition I should be in to do it......
Oh hum. I'm sure it will be flat, hard ground that will be easy to just float along on.
And no-one tell me any different.
Im in too!
Looking forward to it with a mixture of excitement and trepidation.....
Does anyone know whether the marking is clear and obvious?
I imagine that the Portsmouth Joggers do a great job organising this, as they always do?
Ahh, my favourite race. This will be my 5th running of the event. I just love it. The fruit cake, the mud, the hills, the coffee and rum at the top of Butser and the flawless organisation (no, I'm not being paid).
Dutch - the marking is first rate. I got lost one year and ended up doing 23 miles but that's because I was looking at my shoes and not paying attention.
The Meon Valley Plod....
Brilliant race but do not do as I did......
(1) there was so much free sustaining food going that I partook at every feeding point chomping through various home made cakes until I was having problems keeping it down.Its the only 20 mile+ race where you can put weight on by the end.
(2) Very important!!!!!!!! Come prepared . Last year I wore racing flats for the wettest course in the events history.Fell over three times and used the f word at least a hundreds times as I struggled to keep my footing.Probably sensible to wear more than just a running vest.
(3) NORMAL RUNNING SHOES WILL NOT SUFFICE.Cross country shoes are a must and I am looking to cut 30mins off my woeful time for 2010.
(4) Unless you are an elite guy/girl DO NOT attempt to run up every hill.Some of the hills are so steep with no defined path you can almost walk up them as fast.If you do the majestic Butser Hill at 15miles will cut your ego down to size.
(5) Take gels / jelly babies / blocks to get you over the wall at circa 18miles
The reputation is deserved.My friend came with me 'hoping' to enter on the day.He looked relieved to be told no on the day entries allowed and was happy to sit there at race HQ as I took 3.5hrs to 'conquer' the course barely standing .
This race will never be forgotten for all the right reasons and the organisers, Portsmouth Joggers offer a superb course and great support throughout with marshalling and signposting of a high standard meaning that no runner should disappear and be never seen again!
Hope Ive helped and good luck !
Looks like the weather will be brilliant tomorrow. Cool and dry. Looks like it will also be very muddy given the rain in the last couple of days.
I can't wait.