Canicross

Hi there, I am looking to join a club in glasgow or south lanarkshire area where I can bring my dog along, I am looking to start trainng for cani cross races, I have contacted a lot and I mean a lot of groups in and around glasgow I have had little infact no response. I  do take part when I can in the park runs which are dog friendly however I work most saturdays so can be hard to do every week. Also I d love to train properly and get our fitness up to a good level. I can drive and Im willing to travel for events also. I am lucky as my dog can take part in canicross events as well as cani x (cross) ran by the husky cly, he is an alaskan malamute. Unfortunately as I can see there are only 2-3 events on in Scotland 2 very far up north.THe majority are very far down south. If anyone has any info please let me know. I have done a lot of research already on this, but to not much luck for wee keen cani crossers in Scotland in particular central area....Failing that anyone wanting to form an unofficial club, Im up for that also...Thanks in advance, Lindsay.

Comments

• Everyone is down south lol!!! Ive had a break through today and got in contact with a cani cross champ in scotland who has put me in touch with some lovely ladies in my area who run with their dog, so will run next weekend with them (hope my boy behaves lol)..Its a good start, there should be more events if there were, even fun runs more people would be inspired to join in!!! You def should do it with your dog, I got a great canicross belt and what a difference running with that from a flexi lead, alot more enjoyable, it feels like a different sport from running all together, I highly recommend it, I also reccommend the manmatt belt from snowpaws store,..... image xxx
  • I love running with my dog, so I was very interested in canicross when I first heard about it. As there are events within a hour or so of me. But then I found it was £18 for a 5k race, which seems very excessive.

I was also put off by the lead specification and the fact that the one sold on the website cost a fortune, I am sure it was £120! Last year I bought a waist belt/lead  from Lidl for £7. But I cannot be sure it meets the spec. I dont want to turn up and not be allowed to run.

So its not all sunnier down south!

• The length of the races put me off - hardly seems worth travelling for 20 minutes running.

What is your new dog KK ?

• Hi Lindsay.

Check out http://www.canicross-scotland.co.uk

They're just a new organisation and they're less of a club, more of an informal gathering of Canicrossers who met up at Parkrun.

I live in the north east of England and I'm just starting to get into running and canicross myself. As far as I'm aware there are no clubs here, either. Once we're up to it, we'll be going along to Parkrun Newcastle to see if we can meet up with others there.

Good luck!
  • Hi Richie.

The infomation below was taken from the 'What Equipment do I Need' section on the CaniXuk website. The equipment restrictions aren't that strict, unless you're competing at National and International level.

"What equipment do I need?

If you already run with your dog, you are already doing CaniX. No special equipment is needed, but for you and your dogs comfort – the following items are recommended:

Waist belt (for human)
    Running harness (for dog)
    CaniX line

Built-in shock absorption (bungee line) is advised for waist belt and CaniX line.

Eye protection
    Booties (in case your dog cuts or injures a pad)

The following items are NOT allowed:

Studded boots
    Choke chains or any collar that constricts your dog’s throat
    Muzzles (other than racing greyhound type muzzle)
    Flexi leads

Your line (whether a CaniX line or a lead) must not have a metal snap on the handle – if released this can cause injury to dogs and by-standers. Together with waist belt (if worn) should be no longer than 2–2.5meters (6–8 feet).

If your equipment does not meet these rules, you may be turned away from the start line – if in doubt ask at registration."
  • Hi Honeytone

Thanks for the info, that I have read. But I am still not sure that the lidl lead meets the criteria as it has metal snaps on both ends like most dog leads? I do not want to travel for an hour and then be turned away. If it has no metal snap then I thought of tying a rope, but then it will have no shock absorption.

The eye protection advice is a bit strange, who wears safety specs when running their dog? Seems to be a "health & safety gone mad" mentality.

Thanks.

• Richie (sorry, I can't for the life of me figure out how to quote posts on this forum).

My Husband works for Lidl and had mentioned the jogging leash, but I haven't actually seen it. By the sounds of it, it wouldn't be allowed as it does have a metal snap catch at your end of the leash. It's OK to have one at the dog's end.

One of the types that are allowed, the leash attaches to the belt with two plastic clip-together buckles. This is the one I use, it cost £29.99

There are other sets out there that have this feature... you don't have to use the ones CaniX sell on their website.

As for the eye protection... that had me wondering, too.

I can't recommend canicross enough, for any running dog owners. It is a great feeling to be running under Dog Power! It helps strengthen the bond between dog and owner, too.
  • Hi Lindsay,

Im glad that you have found canicrossers in your local area and also some events local to you that allow you to run with your dog.

If I can add the following, virtually all the Parkrun 5kms are all dog friendly (check webiste as a couple do not allow dogs due to local regulations) and allow you to run with your dog, they are free, timed and the results are emailled to you and you can compare your times online.

Additionally for those of you in the South and steadily heading North, the canicross trailrunners promote local canicross clubs and runs, organise canicross events and promote running events that allow canicrossers to take part (Humanrace, Provelosupport, allabouttriathlons for example). We can be found at www.canicross.org.uk and on facebook at canicross trailrunners.

We recently attended Crufts and spoke to many canicrossers who wish to meet up with like minded runners and through my facebook page we are linking these people together.

I also have information on suppliers of canicross kit at very reasonable prices, have a look at www.kisi.co.uk

Simon Lamen, Canicross Trailrunners, For the Love of the Sport

• Oh, I love running with my dog - she is the best running partner. She accompanies me on nearly all my runs, except my long run at weekends ( for my benefit, not hers - I need to concentrate on getting round on my long run, I'm sure she'd happily run any distance LOL)

I would love to have try at cannicross, but she does get a bit over excited around other dogs ..... so not sure how that would be when running....may give it some more thought though...

Think I need a blet though - currently have her on a harness, but hold the lead...  a belt is my next purchase!

• Hi guys , I have since helped get a group put together in scotland the one metioned above, canicross-scotland . We have a facebook group , running with dogs scotland where we chat and arrange training runs. Unfortunately majority of runners at similar training level as me are east coast so dont get out as often as id like, however we still manage 4-5 runs a week, with the odd rest week in between. We are now building up our miles, in order for a big challenge in sept ....west highland way, roughly 96 miles... if anyone would like to join us on this or training runs, please give me a shout. I am based in Glasgow but we all travel all over and meet up in different hills, trails, parks etc.
  • HI, I'm just starting to become interested in canicross and have just bought my equipment so I'm eagerly awaiting for it to arrive.  I have a big, strong black lab and used to enjoy running myself until a couple of years ago and have just got a bit lazy and fat!  I'm looking for running partners in the north east of England.  I live 35 miles of Newcastle and would love to meet like-minded individuals.  Many thanks in advance.

• I think that sports with dogs are more popular nowadays in general, which is great as it helps to keep more people and their dogs active :) I think Rundogo app could be helpful for tracking sleddog and other dog sports. You can choose activities such as canicross, walking, bikejoring etc., and also types of activities when going solo, like running, biking etc., so it doesn't mess up with the stats. You can track yourself and more dogs simultaneously. Also tracking with Garmin Connect is supported. :)