Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking of doing the Edinburgh marathon, but I don't think I can run 26.2 miles. I really prefer and enjoy running 5K. I know the rules say I should run 26.2 miles, but that's just not for me. Has anyone else on here run a 5k Edinburgh marathon and what sort of experience did you have? Kip Litton told me it was fine, and plenty of people do it.
  • I think that no mp3's should be stated on the main events page, not just in the terms and conditions. It's obvious that it is an important factor for some people. There will probably be a handful of people that signed up and have no idea that they can't run with an ipod!

• I was told, actually shouted at, to turn my ipod down when I got in the way of a wheelchair racer during the Sydney Marathon.  I felt really bad after that so turned my music right down.
  • All health and safety rules are because of death and injury. The seat belt laws in cars are because people died and got injured not wearing them. Nobody thought lets stop people drink and driving when no one was getting hurt. There is no evidence of anyone being injured in a race through wearing an MP3!!!!
  • Gordon, I've not run the event before, but, as with many events, you will nearly guarenteed to get away with it, you may pee some people off.

I sometimes do my long runs (not races) with an mp3 player, although it helps because I can concerntrate less on my running etc, I even sometimes feel Im doing better, but in reality, when I train without my headphones in, I'm more aware of my running, and therefore preform better, despite sometimes not feeling like I am, the results prove I do!

If you feel you run better without one, then surely this is aiding your run....which is technically cheating! honestly, you can run just as well without....who knows, you may even go faster, just sing the song/play the tunes in your head, take in the scenary, im sure if you cant see a watch, Im guessing there will be pace keeper people thingies there, so you will know roughl how you are doing on time.....

• i love these threads image - they appear every three months or so

it's amazing how much they polarize opinion! there's np middle ground!
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking of avoiding paying on those bendy buses but I don't know if I'll get caught.  Can anyone tell me how many people do this, and whether they've got caught.  Could save me a few bob.  Thanks.
  • limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Grace Reeman wrote (see)
    I was told, actually shouted at, to turn my ipod down when I got in the way of a wheelchair racer during the Sydney Marathon.  

Well that's answered one question about why they are a bad idea in a race.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    PhilPub wrote (see)
    I'm thinking of avoiding paying on those bendy buses but I don't know if I'll get caught.  Can anyone tell me how many people do this, and whether they've got caught.  Could save me a few bob.  Thanks.

it's ok, everyone does it and gets away with it.

you'll not have any problem.

only killjoys and sticklers for rules would insist you do anything else.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    limper wrote (see)
    Grace Reeman wrote (see)
    I was told, actually shouted at, to turn my ipod down when I got in the way of a wheelchair racer during the Sydney Marathon.  

Well that's answered one question about why they are a bad idea in a race.

wheelchairs? image
  • Anyone got a place in the 2011 Edinburgh Marathon they are unlikely to use

I tried to enter but the entry is closed

• Christ, Gordon - you sound like a right blouse.
  • Ian M wrote (see)
    I'm thinking of doing the Edinburgh marathon, but I don't think I can run 26.2 miles. I really prefer and enjoy running 5K. I know the rules say I should run 26.2 miles, but that's just not for me. Has anyone else on here run a 5k Edinburgh marathon and what sort of experience did you have? Kip Litton told me it was fine, and plenty of people do it.
    Yeh, that's exactly the same thing
    Grace Reeman wrote (see)

I think that no mp3's should be stated on the main events page, not just in the terms and conditions. It's obvious that it is an important factor for some people. There will probably be a handful of people that signed up and have no idea that they can't run with an ipod!

I agree, I think there will be significantly more than a handful of people that don't know.
    PhilPub wrote (see)
    Sigh!
    Muttley wrote (see)

It's not that hard if you do a bit of searching on the Beeb news website image

Not a race but the principle is the same.

Don't think this proves anything. Anyone who is so engrossed in their MP3, and has the volume so loud that they walk into traffic I imagine are the kind of folk that would not pay attention even if they didn't have MP3 on. Turn it down - and pay attention. This story is the nanny state gone mad.
    Moraghan wrote (see)
    Christ, Gordon - you sound like a right blouse.

Jee thanks.

Think I have all the answers I need anyway thanks guys. I realise a lot of you are serious runners, and run a lot of miles and noobs like me get in your way often, but again, I have no intention to offend. Just wanted some views - which I now have.

• Not as offensive as the person who wants to ban wheelchairs!!! Typical of the jobsworth Wilko types on here
  • I ran it last year: there is not a cat in hells chance of you getting disqualified for wearing your ipod - none whatsoever

You may as well go run 26.2 miles on your own or on a treadmill in my opinion, but can you do it? Will you get away with it?

Yes you will.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Kicked-It wrote (see)

I ran it last year: there is not a cat in hells chance of you getting disqualified for wearing your ipod - none whatsoever

on what basis can you make that bold statement?

it has already been reported that other races are getting stricter and mp3 players are becoming more of an issue that it was at this time last year.

past performance is no indicator of future trends.

• I was running on the right when the wheelchair racers were coming through on the way back (I was supposed to keep on the left but didn't hear the instruction from the marshal) It was a narrow section, luckily I could hear the cyclist who told me to get out of the way quickly otherwise probably would have been a nasty accident. I did have my music too loud so turned it down right away.

and errm north london runner

"Not as offensive as the person who wants to ban wheelchairs!!! Typical of the jobsworth Wilko types on here" - is that about my comment? Because I was in no way being offensive, I was simply telling you what happened in my experience when I had my music up too loud and nearly caused an accident with a wheelchair racer...
  • Is there anyway of getting a moderator to close this thread?

I have got my answer and, having not realised that I was raising such a contentious issue, don't want the thread to continue to fire people's view up. 

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Don't worry Gordon, there's been far more heated stuff than this in the past image

It's a regular occurrence. Mp3 wearer asks if it's okay to use it in a race, gets told that it isn't if the organizers say it isn't but refuses to listen ... 

• For what it's worth Gordon,

I ran my first 3 half marathons with an iPod, but have twigged now that you're either limiting or pushing yourself too hard with the BPM of songs, and you can't listen easily to your own breathing, which when regulated correctly, can be a massive boost to keeping a higher speed / cadence going.

I found my pace changed with songs, especially if you're regulating your cadence to them.

I've done about 10 halves since then, and I wouldn't go back.

The quiet is almost euphoric also.. Very relaxing and focusing I find.

• Gordon, I wouldn't worry about this thread - it's always a contentious issue that stirs strong opinions, but thats what forums are for - sharing opinions - even if we don't all agree

Stick around - you may just pick up a good tip to two image

• OK, let the rambling continue then image

Sprint for the Line: I did have the problem you mention when I had random songs on my play list. However I now only have songs that are between 85 and 90 BMP in my play list so it keeps my cadence very consistant. 

I will try running withouth though as my training progresses. I'm not against learning from more experienced folks. I just wanted to check that this was a real concern, rather than some H&S behind covering on behalf of the organisers.

• Pretty amazing Grace.....No was referring to Limper who suggested wheelchairs should be banned.

For the record I would never dream of running with a MP3 player in a race. The whole idea is bizarre to me. Why enter a race in the first place. You can run alone to the sound of your music anywhere and on your own. No need to pay for race entry or travel. Question for Gordon.........why run with others to have solitude with your music...Why Gordon...WHY?????

• image I would like to complete a marathon, an organised one that is. The fact that other people are doing it doesn't really come into it. Except that the atmosphere is excellent before and during. I don't feel I miss this atmosphere with my Iphone quitely playing in the background.

But to answer your question - becuase it's there image

However, was just looking at the route and kacking myself at the fact at around 9 miles I'll be passing the finish with 17 miles still to go. That will mess with my head something rotten image

• North London Runner wrote (see)

Question for Gordon.........why run with others to have solitude with your music...Why Gordon...WHY?????

LOL NLR.  image

He's not using it for solitude, as he's tried to explain,right or wrong, he's using it as a training aid.  And he has said he is going to take the plunge and leave the house without it.  Poor Gordon, I bet he never expected this......... I think it shows character that he hasn't yet exhibited the usual "Newbie Flounce" but has responded with honesty and even kept his sense of humour.  image  And for that he has my respect...  

• How on earth did we ever run before mp3s/ipods and fancy sports drinks? Amazing!!
  • I guess the same way we did before fancy footwear etc. I am sure, from experience, that I would not get far without my 'filled with technology' shoes. But I know folk that have run a marathon on a cheap pair of trainers.