Endurancelife SW100 Ultra

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

It's actually going to be about 104 miles and 18000'.  I'm in the SWCP Association and reading the path guide for this section is scary.

Perhaps some Atlantic Coast Challenge people can join in  - and enter the event as well!  This is like doing the ACC as a "Oner" and then another marathon, near enough.

I've got a feeling 100 miles is tough wherever you do it.  I wonder how early it will start?  And I hope they'll be doing transport from the finish area to the start line.

• I'm pretty stubborn. And train hard when I have a goal image
    The 100km I did recently had about 11000ft ascent. My team did it in 12:39.
    I might have a long hard think this weekend...
  • Those are the two most important attributes in an ultra runner. 

I would consider it to be 20% athletic ability, 40% meticulous preparation, 60% sheer stubbornness!

• Having done the Classic Qtr 44mile ultra with Endurancelife the last 2 years which is the first 44miles of UTSW, I know what I am letting myself in for. Practice your hills/steps as there are plenty on here, in fact the hills are pretty relentless on some sections and steep.
    The views and the technical trails are amazing, I for one am very keen and I would make sure you invest in a very good headtorch for the UTSW, as there will be zero lights apart form the stars.

Agree with T Rex re Ridgeway 85, very good ultra and amazing CP's, my running buddy had 2 x hotdogs with mustard at one CP at about 2am last year, I just had some flat coke as was feeling like c**p.

Happy running.

• i'm still thinking.... hehe image

I'm trying to form a plan of how to build up to it... at the moment i'm thinking of keeping myself on smaller targets and short distances until after i've run the Cardiff half in Oct, then start endurance and hill work for a long intensive winter...

I've found the Thames Trot 50m ultra in Feb, which will be a good build up race i'm guessing, then maybe something more challenging in April, with an aim to run the UTSW in the June...

It's kinda a plan!? Anyone offer any help or advice, esp on good lead up ultras between Jan-May....?

Is anyone def entered for the UTSW then?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Yes, I'm in.

Will start off with a 50K in January and am thinking about three ultras 39-50 miles in April and May.  All being well I also hope to do some long runs in the Brecon Beacons as well which I can just about reach from my house.

I've still got a very long standing Achilles tendon injury which has been hampering my running for 9 months or so and I went to get over that before I really start pushing myself over those sorts of distances.

• Superglue Boots

The Thames Trot in Feb would certainly be an excellent choice to get you up to the 50 mile mark. 

Beyond that, I will say that the terain of this race is fairly unique, and will present unique challenges.  It would probably be a more than good idea to do a shorter coastal path race, to get used to the terrain type.  Perhaps something like the Endurancelife Exmoor coastal path race, which is a 35 mile section of similar terrain as far as I can see!

• Yeah i did look at the Exmoor one, but thought i may need something longer... but i guess it'll still be a really good tester on same terrain like u say.

And would hopefully get me used to the scary heights / cliff edge aspect of it all, which i am quite nervous about.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    The Exmoor event would be an excellent taster. I've only done the marathon - about 27 miles - and that was tough enough on the hot day we did it in.  For the coastal scenery around Heddon's Mouth you've got to do that event for its own sake. For the ultra I presume it will mean doing the 10K loop twice image image.
  • Perhaps interested parties could get together to run the Exmoor event, then tag 20 miles on the end as a preparatory run. 

Plenty of people run a scheduled event then trace the course back. 

• That almost sounds like a plan! cool.

I may book it up, and then see a bit closer to the time about tagging some on etc etc.

I know of a couple of people who may also be interested in the biggie (UTSW that is), so they may also look into some of warm up events discussed on here too.

i will def stay in touch on this thread and update with training progress n stuff.

• Hi All

I am in ! I did the WHW race a few weeks ago , and would love to do it again next year , but its getting a support team together to give up their weekend. Saw this and thought that it would be a great challenge for next year (after running the Thames Path 100 at the beginning of March )

Does anyone have any idea of the cut offs? I have mailed them to ask, but have not heard a thing .
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Well, they're calling 40 hours "slow" on their website so I'd aim to get round in that time.  Don't know yet what time I'll be aiming for.  Managed 32 hours this year for WHW myself (part race, part unsupported challenge) and the LDWA 100 took me 34 hours.

Yes, that need for motorised back-up completely puts me off races of that sort.

• F*** it, i'm in!!! Signed up, paid me money, no going back now.

Serious training starts in October then image

• If I were you I would start tomorrow. 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    There's still enough time tonight to get a few miles in.
  • haha, filling me with confidence, thx image.

A friend (who is an Ultra runner) already said, and i quote... "You are MAD! I admire your courage in the face of certian death!!"

• I am going to walk the route first week in September to get an idea of the terrain , assuming its just going to be up and down ... there is 3000 ft more ascent then WHW so am confident I can finish it . Just don't know how fast !
  • The uncertainty cuts both ways Superglue. 

Because this is such a tough event, there will be no disgrace to people who fail, and massive bragging rights to anybody who succeeds.  That's why it is often worth trading up in ultras. 

Furthermore, there will be people like you who are relatively new to the distance, who make it, and some much more experienced ultra runners who become casualties. 

I don't think you are going to regret throwing your hat into the ring! 

• No updates ?? would love to know about the cut offs etc .
  • I haven't heard a peep from them. not since their automated purchase response...

I've just entered the rutland marathon, just to get me back up to speed n mara distance by Nov. So i guess longer miles are starting now image

Speed n fitness work has gone well in the interim tho. Hills n hard miles throughout the winter now.

I wouldn't mind knowing if they allow pacers or running buddies in the later stages of the race, i know this happens in other longer ultra races...

Everyone one else still in this and going well...?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Yes, looking forward to it.  My main concern is what sort of drop bag arrangement they will be doing.  They are going to allow drop bags, aren't they??  I can't get round 104 miles on only water.
  • where did the extra 4miles come from? is it a little over? that could be the straw....

Yeah gonna need a little more than just water too! I'm gonna do a mix of energy drink and water in my camelback, that did the job last time out. Bananas, powerbars, flapjacks for food.

TRex, do you use salt tablets? i never have, and wondered if i'll need to, or whether the isotonic drink will have enough...

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

SWCP Association reckon the distance between those points to be 104 miles.  EnduranceLife events are always over distance (just to make sure??)  Reference to backs and camels?

I'm a bit green about electrolytes.  I have used Nuun tablets but not sure if they made any difference to be honest.  I prefer water and food.  Likely to be hot though so we are going to have to think about salt replacement.

You will probably only be able to tolerate sickly drinks/gels etc for about 40 miles before nausea sets in.  If you're like me, anyway.  After that its dried fruit, peanuts, malt loaf ...

• I have used nuuns before too, but find them very bland and a bit pointless. Handy for being compact i s'pose.

I will look into the salt replacement issue then. I know most energy drinks have them anyway.

The 100km race i did i didn't feel sick at all thank gawd, but i'm not sure if i got lucky or what. I have got a strong stomach and can eat pretty much anything. but there's a bit of a diff between that and this one...

• This is Endurance Life,s first long Ultra. The word around the SW area ultra runners is that to finish this race you will have to rely on yourself and expect nothing from endurance life. If you have never done a 100miler then do a LDWA 100 instead as the food / support will be better.
    Once you get above 70 miles you can be reduced to the state of a two year old on a long car journey!! At any point the toys can leave the pram. Discovering that the checkpoint is on a hot table stocked with melting Jelly Babies and warm water so the Race Marshals can top up their sun tans will cause a rain of toys! Likewise being informed that you are only allowed one warm banana.
    The coast path in summer can get very hot and humid ,its not all open cliff tops, so start training and experimenting with hydration. You have to find out what works for your body well before the race. On no account try anything new during the race.
    As for the toughest race in the uk. There are several other contenders the Lakeland 100 for a start plus a couple of 200+ milers next year. It is the toughest event that Endurance Life have had to organize and if its hot it could be the toughest event in the UK.
    Good luck!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Thanks for that, ian.  With most long ultras (i.e. 24 hours +) I have done hot food of some sort has been provided about half way, just to keep body and soul together.  This event, without such luxuries, is going to be another thing altogether.  Especially in the light of the high entry fee I'm surprised more isn't being done to support runners.

• We walked the route a few weeks ago over a few days . I have to say it was tough going , infact I am surprised that they don't let you have a support runner , for at least the last 30 miles or so , as you will be tired and the path is pretty steep in some places ... there are some flatish bits and lots of ups and downs . You need to practice some good power walking thats for sure .
  • Feeding /support stations cost money (even if stocked with saver brand biscuits). No food= increased profit. Another potential problem is rout marking. EL instruct you to keep to the coast path and if in doubt turn left towards the coast. This all sound fine until you find yourself following a path out to a headland only to find you have to turn back on the same path to get to the main trail. It happened to me on the CQ which was annoying. On a 100 miler towards the end your head will be in such a state that this will feel like the end of the world! EL,s rout marking usually consists of arrows sprayed on places where the rout rejoins the road. It will probably be worth walking at least the night sections.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I was wondering if EnduranceLife were going to be waymarking the route to their normal amazing standard.  I wouldn't have thought so, somehow.  If in doubt I will be following the official SWCP route.

With a likely small field well spread out I appreciate feedstations are a big ask, but one at half way serving something hot would have been welcome.  As long as they have two or three drop bag points I'll be happy enough.

I might be walking some of the day sections as well!!