Options

Endurancelife SW100 Ultra

Comments

• Options
    A 100 miler without adequate feedstations is taking the pi$$. For the cost of the event (£120), the very minimum is a feedstation every 10 miles, with drink stations even more frequent if its hot. Its the end of June. It can get very warm down here. If they dont sort this aspect of the race out.. then yes, it could be the toughest footrace in the country. Also, its a linear route with no transport back from the finish. In my opinion this should be included in the price.

Im not being fussy, far from it. But I have done many ultras and 100 milers, including the UTMB and Lakeland 100, i also did the Classic Quarter this year, organised by EL- which is the first 44 of next years race. My opinion of the CQ was a nice route, but expensive.. For the cost of the UTSW i would expect a certain amount of assist with food, and transport back from finish (to start). Otherwise im off to Italy for the LUT..!

• Options
    mark777 - Wise words in my opinion. I was considering this, as have done CQ the last 2 years, but the lack of aidstations and no transport back from the finish (!!!!) as well as the price which goes up £5 a month means I will be doing a different 100miler closer to home. SWCP is tough, and a very decent level of support for the runners is the minimum EL should be offering IMHO. 
  • Options
    I made the same decision. Sadly it seemed too much money for too little support. I think you have to even pay extra for feeding after completing. Otherwise it would have been very attractive to me.
  • Options

I'm still doing it, paid me money and taking my chances! As Trex says, as long as there's bag drops.

I did ask them about having a pacer/support runner in the last quarter of the race... but they dont seem to reply to emails from their website. it would be helpful...

also wondering if there's points along the route i can arrange to meet my own support for a bit of a friendly face and supportive words!

Rutland marathon this sunday, so back up to marathon distance on a crash course of training! will carry on thro the winter training then image

• Options
    I'm sure it will be a fantastic experience. I'm thinking of trying to sort out some DIY logistics to run some large chunks of the SW coast path self supported. Started trying to get my head of starting at Minehead and running southbound etc etc ....
  • Options
    It's a real shame about this being completely unsupported, really fancied it as it's the right time of year for my last long run before the UTMB (assuming I get in) but £120 quid for essentially a race number and some water takes the biscuit as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Lirish - I think (hope!) they're going to take our drop bags to various CPs.  Don't yet know how many.  Transport from finish to start (hope it's that way round) is going to be extra as is a meal for finishers.  So a bit pricey compared to most.  The SWCP is one of my favourite parts of UK and I don't think I could just go down there on my own to do a run of this length so I'm happy enough to fork out.  Will let non-entrants on here know after the race exactly what value it represents.

Don't know of any other major ultras that are as unsupported as this, but I haven't done that many of them to be able to judge.

Still looking forward to it.

• Options
    It does make me wonder if any of the EL team have actually done a 100 miler. There are a lot of folks out there who think a 100miler is only twice as hard as say a 70 miler. In my experience this would be a serious underestimate of all the mental issues that come in to play in the final stages (at least on ultras with serious assent ,i have not done any flat ultras).
    Its a shame as with support this would be a superb course.
  • Options

Cheers T-Rex, as I said it would really suit me to do this one and though I've spent comparable amounts for races in the past they've been, I feel, value for money for the support you've gotten.

I did the Exmoor ultra with AdventureHub last year so I know how tough the course will be so to have to do it unsupported would be, for me, too big an ask especially as I'd have to ask my wife to come along just to bring the car from the start to the finish.

Anyone have any other races in mind?

• Options
    Cancel that, I've just entered the SDW100, £85 fully supported. image
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Lirish - you don't get transport back to the start for that one, either.  You have to run back!

Could be an option - 200-miler, anybody??

ian b - they probably haven't.  This event is going to be extremely on the edge for me, and I'm not just talking about cliff tops!

• Options

T-Rex I did notice that but I just have a better feeling about Centurion than I do about Endurance Life. Not that I know anything bad about them, in fact I've heard people rave about the CTS series but I just get the impression that they're primarily a profit making company where James Elson is a runner first and foremost and his priority is to put on races he's love to run.

I might add I don't know James we just have some mutual friends, I'd love to do the SW path at some point but logistically it's just that much of a pain to do it unsupported.

• Options
    EL do have a bit of a reputation for overreaching . They announced the first Dartmoor Mountain Marathon to be in the bird nesting season when Dartmoor is out of bounds for all events over about 30 persons!. I phoned them to ask if they had permission from DNP and was assured they had! Plenty of people signed up and paid, only to have the event postponed for 14 months. We got our money back and the eventual event was great (mainly due to an experienced non EL course planner). They never did have permission the first year and never would have. I guess this has tainted my view of them.
  • Options
    EL are not ultra distance runners, so how would they know anything about attempting one?

m
  • Options

I am tempted by this one. EL have organised a lot of fantastic marathons in previous years and are now getting into the ultras. The SDW100 will be brutal bu beautiful.

Too many to chose from. What happened to the days when there were only 3 ultras a year??

• Options
    Now you are all scaring me. I've signed up for my first ultra distance, not 100 miles but the Lizard to Lands End 44 miles with EL. I've run their marathons before and loved them and found the support great, but obviously the extra distance is different. Do any of you have any experience of it? Thoughts about what to expect would be greatly received.

I've been recording my training progress on my blog (http://fortyfourmiles.blogspot.com) for anyone that is interested or has some top tips.
  • Options
    Jesse

The CQ is typical of the SW Coast Path, you have a lot of small ascents and descents (dependent on what you call small, of course), but generally 50-80m climbs. Its all runnable..the trail is in good condition and well marked, as its all along the SWCP.

There is a horendous stretch of road from Marazion to Mousehole, all tarmac. About 6 miles i would say. Not very enjoyable if your an off-road runner.

As its the end of June, so be prepared for some hot, sticky weather. Even if its overcast or (damp). Plenty of fluids with you.

Checkpoints are there, of course, but only basics.. water, occasional orange squash and the odd biscuit and banana to eat. So take your own food.

When you see the Finish (Lands End Hotel), its like a mirage. From the first glimpse, you'll still be getting closer to it half an hour later...dig in. Nearly there!

Its an enjoyable journey. Good luck
  • Options
    Thanks Mark, that really helps me picture it and also think of the key things I need to do to prepare. I look forward to the mirage of Lands End Hotel!
  • Options

Now i've done the TT50, thought i'd resurrect this thread...

Still can't really contemplate doing another 50miles after the 50 i did...

Anyway, going to up the mileage to 90m then 100m a week and then the Cardiff Ultra in May as another tester to see how i feel.

Hoping to do 2 training weekends down the SWCP, covering 50m each weekend (25 x 2), so will hopefully have covered the whole course at some point...

How's everyone else's training going?

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Not as well as yours by the sounds of it! That's sneaky doing some recces.  I've run the section from Lizard to Praa Sands before - the rest will have to be on sight.

I've got four ultras planned before this including Exmoor Coastal which should give a good feel for the terrain.

Haven't looked to see if there is any new info on the website yet.

• Options

Hi TRex, I haven't heard any extra info yet either. So not sure of the route at all, but i'm guessing if i get a map with the the coastal trail on it... i just follow that!?

Again i haven't planned the weekends yet so not sure what dates i'll be doing, but i'll post on here just in case anyone else wants to recee too.

I'm still terrified tho :-/

• Options
    T-Rex I did the Exmoor coastal ultra with AdventureHub last year and it was brutal, high twenties in temp and barely walkable hills made for a very very emotional day
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

All good training for UTSW then!  Just multiply by three image.

I'm slightly apprehensive myself, especially since we haven't got good quality CPs to feed us.

• Options

Did my first training weekend down on the SWCP last weekend. Great weather for it.

Ran Lizard to Marazion, roughly 24miles friday afternoon (running time was about 4hrs 22mins, although i was out about 5hrs), then went out Saturday morning and ran the second leg Marazion to St Just, roughly 25miles (running time was about 5hrs 2mins, although i was out almost 6hrs).

It's very tough going but i s'pose thats what you'd expect. My legs felt fine with it. But i was indeed terrified of some of the heights and scary cliffs. I'm sure most people would be ok with it but i'm not good with heights and it's not for the faint hearted. But i got on with it and got it done.

I'm not sure how much of the course will follow the SWCP and what the second half of the course is like (i have a second weekend planned in May to reccee the other 50miles), but if it's anything like my runs this weekend... i can't see me doing those cliffs in the dark with a head torch!? )

It's strange that it's not the distance that has got me the most worried...

Anyhow, on the plus side... The scenary is stunning and i took some amazing photos and had a great weekend. Some sections are flatish and easy (noteable Marazion to Mousehole, about 5miles). My legs felt relatively ok covering 50miles of hard coastal trail in roughly a 24hr period. The actual SWCP is fairly well marked with Acorn signs and yellow arrows (although i did get lost a few times as my instinct to head inland kept taking over).

Hope this is helpful. Will def report back on my second reccee... (which will be St Just to Gwithian and then Gwithian to Holywell).

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

That's great going, SB.

I keep emailing the organisers for updated info for this race.  They're very slow and late with all the essential info for such a big event.  Race "manual" is dated Apr 2011!  Info for their Classic Quarter 44 (on the same date) is extremely detailed.

I hope they get their act together soon.

Of tomorrow to Co. Galway to run the Connemara 39.3 on Sunday.

• Options

Yeah, i'd like more info on how they're gonna make the Second half / nightime section safe enough to run / navigate... (tired & Cliffs & Dark doesn't mix well for me). I'm sure it's not an Issue on the CQ as you'd get round it in the light. I'm starting to think of a back up 100m race that i can enter so i won't waste the training i've been doing!

Good luck on Sunday TRex!

• Options

New manual / race guide just released...

Quite a few changes. Noteable the Start day / time, and the start / finish points.

Bit happier about the dark section being the first part rather than second half, this seems to make more sense. Stages and CPs now included too.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hmm.

I'm not happy at all about the changes, Superglue.  I can cope with the extra 4000' ascent I think image.  Reducing the finish cut off from 40 to 34 hours is very severe but I think just about doable for me.  I was expecting to take between 34-36 hours.

What I don't like is moving the start time from "early Sat a.m. tbc" to 1900 Friday.  This means running through two nights and starting the event when already tired.  I know Lakeland 100 does this too but why the insistence of having everyone off the course by 0700 Sunday?

The new course means passing through Newquay in the early hours Saturday night/Sunday morning image - not an attractive thought having run 90-odd miles.

But mostly I am disturbed they are not offering any sort of drop bag system to checkpoints - checkpoints that will only stock water.  We've got to carry everything we need from the start.

I'm fairly new to these sorts of ultras.  Would anyone else like to chip in with their views on whether these arrangements are reasonable?  Especially in an event which costs £120 to enter?

• Options

First goal is just to get round, but after that I was thinking if i did, it would be between 24-30hrs, so yeah i think that 34hrs cut off may be quite tight for a lot people.

I noticed they revised the quick time too from 22hrs to 20hrs? This should mean they've made it easier, but you're right the approx climb has gone up to 21,385ft !?!

Haha didn't even think of that Newquay situation, we'll prob be in a similar state to most of the people out at that time then... a dribbling, sweaty, knackered mess!

Yeah i didn't read that drop bag bit correctly, i had assumed your bag would be shipped from point to point. i have a support crew tho that I will arrange to meet me at various points during the next morning and then again during the day. I'll see if i can go thro the first12hrs self sufficient.

I'm very new to all this too T-Rex, so i haven't got a lot to compare it against... i too would like to know opinions...